New Marvel Legends X-Men Vintage Wave Complete Reveal With 90's Storm And Iceman

JayC

43 minutes ago, MonsterChris said:

I mean, I wish they were removable and/or he had a head without them as well, but c'mon...  That's just silly.

ck1.jpg

ck4.jpg

ck2.jpg

ck7.jpg

ck8.jpg

ck5.jpg

ck9.jpg

ck10.jpg

ck3.jpg

Some of them especially (ironically) the X-Factor costume images look more like the energy is coming out of the side of his head instead of his eyes

Would've preferred Storm in black, but white is acceptable (even if Black is probably right around the corner).

Not a fan of Cyke not coming with a "depowered" headsculpt.

But otherwise the best "vintage" wave yet.  More hits than misses.  Just wish I could find the Wolverine Cycle for a reasonable price so I could slap a Patch head on that Wolverine.

5 hours ago, tarot said:

Waiting for that group that says storm is not the right color. Lol

She really isn't the right colour, though, and pure white looks pretty awkward on just about any toy/model/statue. If they had given her costume just a touch of gray, I think the white, gray, and silver fans would've basically all been happy. I know I would've been more satisfied, but the figure still looks great overall and will be a welcome addition to my collection.

As others have said, Cyclops's energy flares are a bit of head-scratcher. It's pretty mind-blowing they thought he needed those on both heads, but c'est la vie. This is a great wave. We could well have both the classic 90s blue and gold teams complete by the end of the year! It all rests on the choice of Jean in a speculative three-pack...

5 hours ago, tarot said:

You guy remember that meme where we has to decide whether a dress was blue or grey. Yeah that is basically what storm costume is. No one can decide the true color

This is the best comment. 

But now I want Storm in the blue and gold team uniform. 

Silver Samurai has been a big want for me for years, so I'm very glad that they're making him! The others are likely passes for me. I like the Dazzler and Iceman figures but I like ones that I already have more.

9 hours ago, tarot said:

You guy remember that meme where we has to decide whether a dress was blue or grey. Yeah that is basically what storm costume is. No one can decide the true color

Lol. There you go. My thoughts exactly. People think it's white. Some think it's silver. Some think it's dark black. I'm of an opinion, and I think it's been highly theorized that it's all of them. At the time Silvestri was doing X-Men he actually hand picked Glynis Oliver as his colorist as she was one of the most innovative colorist of the time and he thought her style complimented his. She was one of the first to use blended tones and absence of color (blacks & whites) to represent light sources and reflections. As it was an imperfect and little used technique at the time she was constantly tweaking her process. Storms "punk" costume was perfect for experimentation and it proceeded into her 90's costume. In the end I think it was largely decided that her costume was very dark, highly polished and reflective black leather type material (Longshot's was similar). Many times in the comics whites took up more space in Storm's artwork color than actual color. This led her suit it to, more or less, be translated to white for the cartoon (most likely for simplicity's sake), which in turn got translated back to the comics. Others have said she simply just had three (or more) diffetent suits she wore at any given time. Either way, I don't so much think the figure is the wrong color, but I might make the argument that it may be too bright and she may benefit from some blue or grey highlights. Though I think Hasbro's figure is better, I think Toybiz's color palette is spot on. If you could somehow combine the two, and Hasbro could if they really wanted to (remember, there's no BAF), it would be an absolutely perfect.

I wonder of Punk Storm's head sculpt will fit on this figure.

11 hours ago, leokearon said:

But it makes no sense, Cyclops eyes or visor  don't crackle with energy. I really wish they were detachable. I'm sure someone will find a way of getting the blast effect to work with the older heads

Oddly enough, as much as I hate Cannonball's power effects, I'm not really that bothered about Cyclops'. I think it's just because all his articulation remains intact and he's not limited to just one pose. I just really love his X-Factor costume and hope we get the rest of the team in their costumes. But not before we get a new 90's or modern version of Jean first.

2 hours ago, monron999 said:

Oddly enough, as much as I hate Cannonball's power effects, I'm not really that bothered about Cyclops'. I think it's just because all his articulation remains intact and he's not limited to just one pose. I just really love his X-Factor costume and hope we get the rest of the team in their costumes. But not before we get a new 90's or modern version of Jean first.

That's the difference, at least Cyclops is still an action figure even with effects, while Cannoball is a glorified statue. Stil a non-power headed or removable effects would have been nice

These look great. its the Storm, Iceman and Silver Samurai for me. Been waiting for a Storm figure without the Mohawk. Not too crazy about all the spikes on the black outfit either. if I can get the new one, I will call the Mohawk one "Bad Storm".

18 hours ago, monron999 said:

Lol. There you go. My thoughts exactly. People think it's white. Some think it's silver. Some think it's dark black. I'm of an opinion, and I think it's been highly theorized that it's all of them. At the time Silvestri was doing X-Men he actually hand picked Glynis Oliver as his colorist as she was one of the most innovative colorist of the time and he thought her style complimented his. She was one of the first to use blended tones and absence of color (blacks & whites) to represent light sources and reflections. As it was an imperfect and little used technique at the time she was constantly tweaking her process. Storms "punk" costume was perfect for experimentation and it proceeded into her 90's costume. In the end I think it was largely decided that her costume was very dark, highly polished and reflective black leather type material (Longshot's was similar). Many times in the comics whites took up more space in Storm's artwork color than actual color. This led her suit it to, more or less, be translated to white for the cartoon (most likely for simplicity's sake), which in turn got translated back to the comics. Others have said she simply just had three (or more) diffetent suits she wore at any given time. Either way, I don't so much think the figure is the wrong color, but I might make the argument that it may be too bright and she may benefit from some blue or grey highlights. Though I think Hasbro's figure is better, I think Toybiz's color palette is spot on. If you could somehow combine the two, and Hasbro could if they really wanted to (remember, there's no BAF), it would be an absolutely perfect.

I wonder of Punk Storm's head sculpt will fit on this figure.

You're totally right, but not about this costume. You're describing the outback costume, with the lightning bolt and/or collar, which definitely always looked black to me and was always coloured the same way as Longshot. The outfit depicted on this toy, though, is the one that debuted in Uncanny 281. Oliver coloured maybe two issues with this costume, I think, but certainly isn't responsible for it. She and Silvestri were more or less gone from X-Men by the time this costume appeared. Whilce Portacio was doing the pencils with Joe Rosas colouring. This costume was always a silvery colour that could be taken for white or gray, but interpreting it as black feels like a stretch to me. I think people who remember it black are likely confusing it with the outback era, which was a different costume.

This is my favorite version of Dazzler and the only one I really need. I only got the Roller Girl version out of fear that it might be the only one we ever got. I just wish they had used a better buck than the Kate Bishop one. Something about those skinny legs is just so aesthetically offputting. I'm interested to see how well the Storm thighs woulda looked on that Dazzler figure.