Marvel’s Avengers: A-Day Official E3 2019 Game Trailer

JayC

Marvel’s Avengers begins at A-Day, where Captain America, Iron Man, the Hulk, Black Widow, and Thor are unveiling a hi-tech Avengers Headquarters in San Francisco — including the reveal of their own helicarrier powered by an experimental energy source. The celebration turns deadly when a catastrophic accident results in massive devastation. Blamed for the tragedy, the Avengers disband. Five years later, with all Super Heroes outlawed and the world in peril, the only hope is to reassemble Earth’s Mightiest Heroes.

Marvel Entertainment and Square Enix are excited to unveil Marvel’s Avengers, an epic action-adventure game that combines cinematic storytelling with single-player and co-operative gameplay. Developed by Crystal Dynamics in collaboration with Eidos-Montréal, Nixxes Software, and Crystal Northwest, Marvel’s Avengers will release simultaneously for the PlayStation 4 computer entertainment system, the Xbox One family of devices including Xbox One X, Stadia, and PC on May 15, 2020.

UBISoft-Avengers.jpg

21 minutes ago, JayC said:

I was totally unimpressed with what they showed at E3 last night and based on the crowd reactions from the event they seemed pretty underwhelmed as well. I have a feeling this game is gonna be a mess.

Wasn't impressed either, MCU Avengers, the character models look poor with some of them having proportions that remind me of a 90's Kenner Star Wars Luke Skywalker and the the gameplay looks meh. 

• 2 weeks later...

I felt kinda bipolar watching this cuz at first you see Iron-Man's suit which looks awesome, but then you see Thor which is "meh". And then you see Captain America which looks like #$## but then next you see the Hulk which looks amazing! Black Widow's cool but I think she needs a bit more of a bust IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Square Enix has announced their Avengers video game plans for this years San Diego Comic Con.

Marvel’s Avengers Panel (Thursday, July 18, 1:30 pm in Hall H): Join Shaun Escayg, Creative Director at Crystal Dynamics, and the performance cast of Marvel’s Avengers for a special presentation that will include new information and the first public gameplay reveal for Hall H attendees only.

TLDR summary: What's scarier than the poorly designed character models is the fact that the release date is 10 months away and there's still a complete lack of detail as to what this game actually is. It's hard to stay excited about a game that the developer doesn't seem particularly proud to show off. Hopefully they'll pull off some magic at comic con. 

Full rant from a gamer still looking forward to cooperative Marvel game: Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix made a huge $$$ splash at E3. They literally covered buildings in their Avenger's logo to announce the release date for a game that doesn't even have a real description yet. It was a huge opportunity to open the pre-order floodgates. At this point that whole event seems like a smoke screen to try and get some pre-order cash from the Avengers' name before having an unfinished Anthem-like release situation next year. We now have 2 teasers along with some fuzzy leaked gameplay footage and still have no idea what they're working on. If they're as lost as they seem then I feel for the developers and the possible crazy crunch-time pressure they're going to be under to make their goals. Hopefully they pull back the curtain a bit and show off something special at SDCC.

If you've read through any of the developer interviews since the announcement they've only given vague descriptions of how some levels will be a more directed experience (on rails like old platformers?), other levels will have more play options (mini-open world areas?), some areas will require you to control specific characters, and some areas/missions will be cooperative. It's not the type of stuff said about a fully planned out AAA game that's gearing up to be released in less than a year.

Spider-man on PS4 set the bar pretty damn high for Marvel games on this generation of consoles so the hype for this game has been insane since their first teaser 2 years ago. Insomniac had their entire team focused on creating a single playable superhero and pulled off something amazing. Crystal Dynamics somehow has to design gameplay for the core of the Marvel Universe with the weight of the post-Endgame MCU on its shoulders. They've actively brought in talent from top games across the industry to put this game together including a combat designer from God of War (image Thor/Mjolnir instead of Kratos/Leviathan Axe) so there' s still plenty of hope that they've got something good going behind the scenes. If the actual gameplay is fun and there are enough game modes to keep friends playing together then unlockable costumes will fix the early fan backlash against their character designs. PS4's Peter Parker looks nothing like any previous iterations of the character (movie or comic) but they pulled it off with amazing game design (and a multitude of instantly recognizable costumes).

In a dream world, Crystal Dynamics gives us the cooperative Avengers game Marvel fans have been waiting for. A solid single player story setting up this new Avengers universe and a multiplayer that's more than just running through the same levels. Hopefully they'll include some sort of horde mode or epic boss battles with randomized objectives to really boost replayability. The real draw of this game is being able to team up with friends and run around as the Avengers with all the crazy graphics that are available on PS4 and Xbox One. What Avengers fan hasn't wanted to play a game where they can control Cap, Thor, Ironman, or Hulk as they raid a Hydra base or as waves of Ultron drones rush at them and their friends? Crystal Dynamics is sitting on a gold mine here. Hopefully there are Marvel fans sitting in those offices that are scheming together their dream game and pull off some magic for us all to enjoy.

• 3 years later...
Crystal Dynamics has announced that they will be ending support for their Avengers game with the final 2.8 patch coming on March 31, 2023.

To our amazing community,

After two-and-a-half years and introducing twelve of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, following Update 2.8 on March 31, 2023, we will no longer add new content or features to Marvel’s Avengers. All official support for the game will end on September 30, 2023.

Even after official support ceases on September 30, 2023, both single- and multi-player gameplay will continue to be available. See below for more information.

Update 2.7, which added the Winter Soldier Hero and Cloning Lab Omega-Level Threat, is the last new content to be added to the game. No new cosmetics are coming to the Marketplace, and all final balance updates will occur in Update 2.8 in March.

Along with the end of development, we’ll also be turning off the cosmetics Marketplace. When Update 2.8 launches on March 31, 2023, Credits will no longer be purchasable and all remaining Credit balances will be converted into in-game resources to aid ongoing adventures.

As a show of our appreciation for our community, starting March 31, 2023 we will make all the game’s Marketplace, Challenge Card, and Shipment cosmetic content available to all players for free. Every single Outfit, Takedown, Emote, and Nameplate from the Marketplace, Challenge Cards, and Shipments will be free for all players from this date onwards if you own a copy of the game.

Gifting the full library of Marketplace cosmetic content is a way to thank our community by letting everyone experience the breadth and depth of content in Marvel’s Avengers.

We know this is disappointing news as everyone in our community has such a connection to these characters and their stories. We’re so, so grateful that you came on this adventure with us. Your excitement for Marvel’s Avengers – from your epic Photo Mode shots, to your threads theorizing who our next Heroes would be, to your Twitch streams – has played a large part in bringing this game to life.

We hope you continue to play and enjoy Marvel’s Avengers. We can’t thank you enough for your support and for being part of our super team.

– Marvel’s Avengers Development Team

I'm not the biggest console person (World of Warcraft is my grove), but I bought Spiderman a while back and really enjoyed it. When both Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy were on cheap at Gamestop, I asked which one was the better on to get. Both associates right away said GotG was far superior. I'm sure I probably would enjoy Avengers but just reading this makes me think back to hearing these guys just state it wasn't well put together. 

Might actually finally buy this game now that they are offering everything for free it seems, I always contemplated playing this game, but I'm not really a fan of new games, I'm not big on complicated game play, I also heard this game wasn't that great from many friends, but Yeah might just grab it now, it's been relatively cheap, maybe I'll give it a try.