Too Much Too Fast ?

mars396

I love Marvel, but I'm more of a DC guy, so I don't need every figure that comes out.  I've always been a get what I like, who I like, "cherrypicker" collector, and I think the most figures I've needed from one wave so far was two, so I'm good.  I can see this prosperous times being tough for a completist, tho.

4 hours ago, mars396 said:

Marvel Legends has gone from a "Get Em All!" collection, to a "OK, what do I really want?" collection.

Hasbro is putting out too much too fast.  I cannot keep up.

My other collections are also hurting as a result, as I only have so much disposable income to go around.

Anyone else feel this way ?

I have felt this way since the end of 2017 it feels, too much too fast it's hard to keep up, I also don't like to pre-order only because of how much comes out, it's confusing. I love all of the product we get but as a retail store hunter primarily it's become really rough to try and hunt down certain figs from certain waves, I feel like most of the time I never even see waves appear in the store, also the fact that I honestly feel as of recently with so much product there has become way more of a scalping madness going on, pre-orders flying out of stock, me going to stores and finding out someone bought both cases of newly released figs which results in me never seeing them at a normal price etc. but I'd rather this then a drought

To me it's the classic case of "be careful what you ask for". As long as I've been on these boards the general consensus has always been "more, more, more" and "enough is never enough". Well, therein lies the double edge sword. Hasbro gave us more, actually a lot more, more MCU Iron Man, More MCU Captain America, more MCU in general, more Wolverine, more Deadpool, more oddball crap like Caliban and Space Venom, and more recently Agent Anti-Venom and a buncha repaints and kit bash's no one ever asked for. Had enough yet? Not saying this is what everyone asked for but I would say that anyone arguing that this isn't what the overwhelming majority asked for would be on the losing side of that argument. As a completionist myself, I too am feeling the burn, but luckily I've narrowed my consumption to mostly comic related stuff (hoping DC will eventually get their 6" $#!+ together) and instead of getting it all I've adjusted my approach to only get what I need. New Quicksilver? Gotta have it. Cowboy Logan? Not so much. It is what it is my friend. I would much have it this way where I at least have the option to choose what to get due to too much product rather than feel like I have to buy EVERYTHING simply due to the lack or product and me just feeling like I have to scratch that itch.

59 minutes ago, monron999 said:

I would much have it this way where I at least have the option to choose what to get due to too much product rather than feel like I have to buy EVERYTHING simply due to the lack or product and me just feeling like I have to scratch that itch.

I think this hits the mark of why I started buying everything and felt like I couldn't stop. I was buying anything that came out because nothing was.

Definitely agree.   If you're trying to collect everything (and I don't get everything, but I definitely usually get the majority of the stuff), you're dropping two to three THOUSAND dollars on Marvel Legends this year.

And if you're someone that collects more than just Marvel?  Well...hope you've got a really good job because it's gonna be expensive.

The volume and quality of Marvel Legends being released right now and since about 2017 reminds me of how Hasbro treated G.I.Joe in 2008, after the success of the 25th Anniversary launch and onward to about 2010. There was so much product, so many exclusives, and so, so many of them were kitbashes or outlandish repaints. It choked even the biggest collectors (me), and left people wondering what did they really want...and, did they *really* want it? Though, I think the advantage to be seen from Marvel product being released this way is that it allows for fans to focus on different teams, character families, etc. With G.I.Joe the completionist mentality always seemed a lot stronger, at least from my prospective within the community. It seems like more people in the Marvel scene have less trouble saying "no" to obscure characters or character families they don't give a hoot about (for me, that's largely Spider-Man characters; #sorrynotsorry). In a weird way, it's sometimes relieving and fulfilling to walk into a store and see loads of Marvel characters that I don't want but I know that someone else does, because my wallet sighs some relief and I know a brand I love is thriving and my fellow collectors are (mostly) happy. With the exception of Gwen-Pool, I haven't seen many individual Marvel characters or waves completely choke up a toy aisle like G.I.Joe waves used to do, or like my beloved Black Series is doing right now. So, while I agree that there is A LOT coming out right now, I don't think it's altogether bad.

1 hour ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

With the exception of Gwen-Pool, I haven't seen many individual Marvel characters or waves completely choke up a toy aisle like G.I.Joe waves used to do, or like my beloved Black Series is doing right now. So, while I agree that there is A LOT coming out right now, I don't think it's altogether bad.

Is Black Series choking toy aisles? Not around here, it's not. It's tough to find anything. There's usually a few figures from Solo, or a few Reys and Kylos, but never much. I saw the first archive wave at a Target a few weeks ago, and was pretty shocked.

11 minutes ago, Benn said:

Is Black Series choking toy aisles? Not around here, it's not. It's tough to find anything. There's usually a few figures from Solo, or a few Reys and Kylos, but never much. I saw the first archive wave at a Target a few weeks ago, and was pretty shocked.

Same here.  Like exactly the same.

13 minutes ago, Benn said:

In most of the Kentucky and Northwest Indiana stores (Walmart and Target) where I have checked or frequent the Solo wave is filling the shelves or racks, with the final TLJ wave coming in at a close second. Meijer stores in both areas still have product from 2016, namely the Rogue One waves. GameStop is the only place I've been able to regularly find new BS figures, with one Target, one Disney Store, and one Walmart (because the toy department manager is a collector and rotates stock properly) having things pop up here and there. Walgreen's has been abysmal as well, having their shelves locked up with exclusive Force Ghost Obi-wan and General Veers. The Archive Series has been steady and well circulated in both areas, though I'm only just now seeing wave 2 make an appearance so only time will tell how it ultimately fares.

4 hours ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

In most of the Kentucky and Northwest Indiana stores (Walmart and Target) where I have checked or frequent the Solo wave is filling the shelves or racks, with the final TLJ wave coming in at a close second. Meijer stores in both areas still have product from 2016, namely the Rogue One waves. GameStop is the only place I've been able to regularly find new BS figures, with one Target, one Disney Store, and one Walmart (because the toy department manager is a collector and rotates stock properly) having things pop up here and there. Walgreen's has been abysmal as well, having their shelves locked up with exclusive Force Ghost Obi-wan and General Veers. The Archive Series has been steady and well circulated in both areas, though I'm only just now seeing wave 2 make an appearance so only time will tell how it ultimately fares.

Crazy... Yeah, I haven't found anywhere near Philly that has more than a handful of Black Series figures. I'd be pretty excited to come across Force Ghost Obi-Wan or regular access to the Archive figures. I keep hearing that Archive 2 is starting to show up places too, which is extra nuts since it doesn't street for nearly two months. Anyway, enough Star Wars, sorry to derail. Legends figures are actually easier to find around here. I was able to find the entire Caliban wave at the Cherry Hill Mall a few weeks ago, there's a K-Mart nearby with most of the Captain Marvel figures, etc. I feel for you guys who are collecting line-wide, though. X-Men completionism and select Star Wars highlights is tough enough on me.

If/when WM and Target's pegs are so clogged with pegwarmers from previous waves that it delays them putting out newer waves, then I'll agree that Hasbro is putting out too much too fast.  Doesn't seem to be a problem so far, though.   From a consumer point of view, just need to break free of the 'completionist' mentality.  For me, i just keep a must-have list with no more than 1-3 figures per wave.  The rest can wait for a sale.  Frankly, i find that if i wait awhile, some of the figures i was on the fence about getting are no longer ones i'm really interested in.  

As far as Black series,  Hasbro has been knocking it out of the park with many of the figs imo but the demand for figs from the new movies just doesn't seem to stack up to the demand  that collectors have for characters from the earlier films.  For example, Gamorrean guard seemed to sell pretty well despite a relatively high price point, but those Moloch deluxe figures don't seem to be selling at all.  

Just so you can experience the pain with me, here’s a photo I took just now at one of my two area Target stores. This is how Black Series is everywhere I look. 

As for Marvel, I also agree that it might be a different situation if product was stagnating like the BS stuff does, but Marvel product seems to sell rather well in my areas. Sure there are hang arounds from past waves (one WM even has a single Speed Demon), but most are just the slow sellers from recent waves. The closest I think I’ve seen ML come to over-saturation in my area was the Antman & Wasp wave. Those stuck around for a minute. 

973A36A6-B07B-4AE4-9AD1-95345A8CEDB2.jpeg

58 minutes ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

Just so you can experience the pain with me, here’s a photo I took just now at one of my two area Target stores. This is how Black Series is everywhere I look. 

As for Marvel, I also agree that it might be a different situation if product was stagnating like the BS stuff does, but Marvel product seems to sell rather well in my areas. Sure there are hang arounds from past waves (one WM even has a single Speed Demon), but most are just the slow sellers from recent waves. The closest I think I’ve seen ML come to over-saturation in my area was the Antman & Wasp wave. Those stuck around for a minute. 

973A36A6-B07B-4AE4-9AD1-95345A8CEDB2.jpeg

Your store has more Star Wars stuff than my toy shop