Jump to content

J.J. Abrams and Henry Abrams Make Their Marvel Comics Debut With SPIDER-MAN #1


Recommended Posts

The secret is out! This September, legendary filmmaker J.J. Abrams (Star Wars, Star Trek, Super 😎 and his son Henry Abrams will co-write SPIDER-MAN, a five-issue limited series years in the making, with art by the incredible Sara Pichelli (Miles Morales, Guardians Of The Galaxy) and cover art by the amazing Olivier Coipel!

Speaking to The New York Times, J.J. teased, “The story shows Peter Parker in a way you haven’t seen him before.”

“Spider-Man is one of those super heroes where the more you read about him, for me at least, the less I understand him,” added Henry. “He’s so anti-everything that you’d expect from a hero. I think Stan Lee said something about putting the human in superhuman. That is what we’re trying to do.”

Together, the father-son duo will introduce fans to a mysterious new villain named Cadaverous – whose identity remains to be seen…but what do they have planned for Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson?!

All will be revealed this fall in SPIDER-MAN #1!
 



SPIDER-MAN #1 (OF 5)
Written by J.J. ABRAMS AND HENRY ABRAMS
Art by SARA PICHELLI
Colors by DAVE STEWART
Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL
On sale September 2019

 

1 of 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bradyphantom said:

That quote from the kid is mind meltingly dumb. Cracking open my head like an egg and letting my brain spill out and cook on the hot sidewalk.

Then I guess we know why his dad had to use his name to get him a job writing something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hogun said:

I would have preferred a comic book adaptation of the unreleased Spider-Man 4.

For some reason many people thought that was what was being teased but there is just no way Sony would greenlight something like that which would take away from their current Spider-Man.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JayC said:

For some reason many people thought that was what was being teased but there is just no way Sony would greenlight something like that which would take away from their current Spider-Man.

I know others were suspecting a F4/Spidey team-up given the way the story was teased and Slott now doing the F4

Link to post
Share on other sites

So i guess we can expect a lot of intriguing happenings and mysteries to be introduced, and never resolved.  And i can see JJ calling for a lot of lens flare in various panels of artwork.

Nothing against the kid but i'm not really interested in a JJ Abrams-penned comic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally think this is just another one of Marvel's gimmick stories. Seems pretty clear Abrams is only involved in order to allow his son to write a comic book, not that it matters cause I don't really see how being a big name movie director is a real qualification for being able to write a good comic book story. Im sure this will grab a lot of headlines and might even give them a temporary boost in sales but IMO its this kind of thing that has hurt the industry more than helps. Lets not take the time to invest long term in real writers and develop long term stories with good artists but instead invest in gimmicks that grab headlines.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JayC said:

I personally think this is just another one of Marvel's gimmick stories. Seems pretty clear Abrams is only involved in order to allow his son to write a comic book, not that it matters cause I don't really see how being a big name movie director is a real qualification for being able to write a good comic book story. Im sure this will grab a lot of headlines and might even give them a temporary boost in sales but IMO its this kind of thing that has hurt the industry more than helps. Lets not take the time to invest long term in real writers and develop long term stories with good artists but instead invest in gimmicks that grab headlines.

 

Yeah, it sounds like Stunt-Casting, maybe it will be good but we will have to wait and see.

 

Also long term stories are pointless in Marvel given nearly every event changes the  status quo 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JayC said:

For some reason many people thought that was what was being teased but there is just no way Sony would greenlight something like that which would take away from their current Spider-Man.

I know this is true, but I also allowed myself to ponder a comic adaptation of the abandoned storyline.  I like that the general sentiment is that their countdown allowed fans' imagination to run amok with the inevitable let down for what the project actually is, and that the hype backfired.  Amusing.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Satam said:

Seems weird to me how many people wanted a comic book adaptation of a sequel to a movie they hated.

I think people wanted it because of what Sam Raimi wanted to do for Spiderman 4. He regretted what he made (Spiderman 3) and wanted to make amends by making a better movie with 4.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Emnems80 said:

I think people wanted it because of what Sam Raimi wanted to do for Spiderman 4. He regretted what he made (Spiderman 3) and wanted to make amends by making a better movie with 4.

And Joel Schumacher wanted to make amends by making a better movie with Batman 5.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Emnems80 said:

Nobody liked either of Schumacher's Batman movies. Only Raimi's Spiderman 3 was universally hated.

I'm not one of them, nor do I understand it, but I know plenty of people who liked Batman Forever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Satam said:

I'm not one of them, nor do I understand it, but I know plenty of people who liked Batman Forever.

The point I was making is that fans would have looked forward to Spiderman 4 based on 1 and 2. Nobody would have looked forward to a Schumacher Batman 5 based on 3 and 4.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Emnems80 said:

The point I was making is that fans would have looked forward to Spiderman 4 based on 1 and 2. Nobody would have looked forward to a Schumacher Batman 5 based on 3 and 4.

And I know a lot of people who weren't looking forward to Spider-man 4 based on 3.  Hence my earlier comment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE