Old marvel legends

Spideyperson333

Hey anybody else ever feel like marvel legends feels less special these now that were getting so much new figures and news don’t get me wrong I love what Hasbro is doing and I love all their figures but now that all these old ToyBiz figures are getting replaced by Hasbro i feel like the old ToyBiz figures suck now and they don’t feel special anymore I think that the most exciting time to be be a marvel legends collector was 2012-2015 I honestly think that Hasbro should something new and exciting with marvel legends like maybe change the packaging to something a little more colorful and do more stuff like the 80th anniversary figures maybe make really large figures like ToyBiz did the sentinel and giant man and maybe use that new apocalypse figure but scale him up to like 18 inches idk they should just do something different and exciting . What do u guys think I’m sure you’ll disagree but whatevs

I've never personally been much of a vintage collector and yes most of the old TB stuff looks bad to the modern stuff as do most old vintage toys, but the original TB ML will always have a place in the history of action figures as a pioneering line that made changes we still see today. I dont think that will ever change.

Everything put out by Toybiz in the early 2000s holds a special place in my heart, and imo stands as the foundation that made way for the quality of action figures we see today. This includes Marvel Legends, Lord of the Rings, and all other movie franchise toys they produced. The level of articulation and detail was unprecedented, and I’m convinced that if not for Toybiz’s innovation of the time that we might still be buying 6 POA figures to this day (maybe that’s a little much, but still). With all of that said, I do believe that all “remakes” that Hasbro produces of existing Toybiz Legends are ultimately superior. Hasbro’s figures are rapidly replacing old figures in my display shelves. This doesn’t make me appreciate my older figures any less, however, it just means they’ve earned a break and that long, long nap in a plastic storage baggie.  

14 minutes ago, JayC said:

I've never personally been much of a vintage collector and yes most of the old TB stuff looks bad to the modern stuff as do most old vintage toys, but the original TB ML will always have a place in the history of action figures as a pioneering line that made changes we still see today. I dont think that will ever change.

This exactly

however I never was a Toybiz ML collector, back when Biz was putting these out I was a Selects collector, I only own a small few of the Biz Era stuff (Man-Thing, Vengeance, Black Heart), I always thought back then The Biz figs were pretty goofy looking for the most part and didn't get back into Legends until they started the Infinite thing with Winter Soldier series, that being said I feel the way JayC does in terms of the impact of the Biz era. I do not subscribe to the Marvel Legends doesn't feel special anymore vibe, they are still very special new and old, toy collecting rules! and it's in such a great place right now in terms of product for the seasoned collectors , I remember a time when nothing of a premium sort was coming out or it was in such small doses, now you can get a great high end collector fig for like anything

I think you have a point, about the impact anyways being lessened by the sheer quantity of product Hasbro get out to us collectors in a year.  New Legends don't have that same appeal as they did in the ToyBiz days when you got maybe 2-4 waves a year (and that seemed like a lot back then).  But personally I love the shift, I love getting three Spider-Man waves a year and a ton of other great characters, even if my wallet doesn't like it.  

Now in terms of what these old ToyBiz figures look like compared to modern Legends, that is largely subjective.  BAFs like Galactus, Sentinel, Giant Man, and the original Apocalypse stand the test of time, since there is nothing, except Fin Fang Foom, that Hasbro has put out there that can touch the size and detail of those figures.  Even the standard figures, some of them have not gone quietly, it took Hasbro around 13 years to outdo ToyBiz's Beast, one of their earliest figures.  Nightcrawler is another figure that I imagine will be replaced later this year, but it took an incredible amount of time for Hasbro to outdo either one, despite antiquated articulation.  And above all, Spider-Man is still a character that I wholeheartedly believe Hasbro has never topped ToyBiz on, from the Sinister 6 Spider-Man, to Snap-Shot Spidey, and even the McFarlane Spider-Man, all of them have superior articulation and can hit poses that neither Pizza Spidey, nor the Sunfire mold can.  

I guess the bottom line is, we should as collectors be happy, ToyBiz has had a great impact historically on the action figure industry and some of their figures still stand up to today's figures well enough.  Hasbro has taken the ball though and really run with it, I couldn't be happier to collect ML in what is clearly the golden age of the line, and definitely it's all thanks to Hasbro.

I agree Hasbro has never topped ToyBiz Spider-Man figures like the McFarlane Spidey and especially the underrated snapshot Spidey I think the only one that came close was the pizza Spidey because of how it changed marvel legends with its articulation and all of its accessories but the rest of Hasbro Spider-Men have basically been a somewhat copy of that figure but I don’t think Hasbro will ever sculpt a Spidey figure with the same dedication as ToyBiz did even with their movie Spider-Man figs one of my favorite figures of all time is the web trap Spidey from Spider-Man 2 movie line

16 hours ago, Spideyperson333 said:

I agree Hasbro has never topped ToyBiz Spider-Man figures like the McFarlane Spidey and especially the underrated snapshot Spidey I think the only one that came close was the pizza Spidey because of how it changed marvel legends with its articulation and all of its accessories but the rest of Hasbro Spider-Men have basically been a somewhat copy of that figure but I don’t think Hasbro will ever sculpt a Spidey figure with the same dedication as ToyBiz did even with their movie Spider-Man figs one of my favorite figures of all time is the web trap Spidey from Spider-Man 2 movie line

Exactly.  Don't get me wrong I really like Pizza Spidey, it's a great vanilla Spidey figure and the interchangeable Peter Parker head from the Parker Industries suit looks great on it, so there's a lot of value to having it in the collection, even though the McFarlane Spidey will always be my preferred figure.