Legends baf figures different options?

Joe_ker

I don’t know about you but I love the oversized build a figures at the same time I’m alittle tired of the way that hasbro is going about it. Lately some of the waves have really been meh! For me. A lot of irrelevant figures being produced like citizen 5, nighthawk, bonecrusher, rock python.  And how many Loki’s does one really need? And if you only want one or two of the wave then you have to search out the parts sometimes for a ridiculous price, or  having extra body parts laying around you don’t want. Why not sell legends in a staggered price like transformers? Like $20 for regular figures and maybe 30 for the oversized figure. Or take the extra plastic to creat more accessories or better paint apps?  Idk maybe I’m just venting because of the most recent waves for spiderman baf molten man or the randomness of endgame baf hulk. Am I the only one?  What are your thoughts?

25 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

I Do think it would be really cool if we got a few older BAF's re-released as single packed deluxe figures at a higher price , BAF's whose waves are probably only dead stock and not still being shipped out, I'd be into that

You mean like comic Thanos and MCU Ultron? 

1 minute ago, Satam said:

It would.  Except I think Thanos was a Walmart exclusive.  I would not want more of that.

Hahah indeed Thanos was, and I also would not like that, I would like Wal-Mart to be banned from having any exclusives ever again (as I state fairly often I feel)

Just because a character is irrelevant for you doesn't mean it is irrelevant for everyone. Also at the end of the day the BAF is a bonus figure, like the Combiners in Transformers it's a reward for people who have spend their money getting the whole set. Also for Hasbro it's a great way of making money. If you don't want the parts then people will be happy to buy them off you. As for rereleasing BAFs, it is a nice idea but to be fair the figure would have to be exactly the same as the BAF, not extra paint apps or accessories.

I get that some of those random figures that i may not want others would. Hell I subscribed for the whole MOTU Classics and purchased a lot of rose randoes because I knew people were clambering for them, but on the flips side I have tried to sell some of those and nobody is lining up to buy them.   And yes I know it’s a bonus figure for purchasing the whole wave, I’m just wondering if there’s a different way of going about it. With MOTU they sold you the oversized figures for a little higher cost as a way to give you more accessories and better paint apps for all figures. 

6 minutes ago, Joe_ker said:

I get that some of those random figures that i may not want others would. Hell I subscribed for the whole MOTU Classics and purchased a lot of rose randoes because I knew people were clambering for them, but on the flips side I have tried to sell some of those and nobody is lining up to buy them.   And yes I know it’s a bonus figure for purchasing the whole wave, I’m just wondering if there’s a different way of going about it. With MOTU they sold you the oversized figures for a little higher cost as a way to give you more accessories and better paint apps for all figures. 

(this may seem like im giving out but i'm not) using MOTU as an example is not a great Idea. Those are created just for fans, usually sold exclusively online or in specialty store. ML is made for everyone and is generally store in most chain stores. 

but like you said, you know that people would like the figure you don't. so you just have to bear with it because not every wave is going to appeal just to you.

as for the BAF, this was not only made to get bigger or more unique characters out to people, but for companies to sell people a whole set. You may not like this practice but it's the truth and is needed to keep the line running. if you don't want a figure from the wave but want the BAF, then there are plenty of places to get the part. Evil-bay is the first to come to mind but there are also many group, like on Facebook, that people will sell you the item.

Personally, re-releasing a BAF is something I kind of like because it give people the baf they missed out on but at the same time it make get the whole wave pointless.

I'd like to see them re-release the Rhino BAF.  Its been a few years and some of those parts are really hard to obtain at this point.  Although it feels like aside from Ares the previously  re-released BAFs have all been either exclusives (Thanos to WM,  Groot to TRU) or part of a set (Hulkbuster,  mcu Thanos).  So I guess I'm hoping for a Rhino/Spidey 2-pack.  I don't really "need" another Spidey figure but could be worse.

15 minutes ago, tarot said:

(this may seem like im giving out but i'm not) using MOTU as an example is not a great Idea. Those are created just for fans, usually sold exclusively online or in specialty store. ML is made for everyone and is generally store in most chain stores. 

but like you said, you know that people would like the figure you don't. so you just have to bear with it because not every wave is going to appeal just to you.

as for the BAF, this was not only made to get bigger or more unique characters out to people, but for companies to sell people a whole set. You may not like this practice but it's the truth and is needed to keep the line running. if you don't want a figure from the wave but want the BAF, then there are plenty of places to get the part. Evil-bay is the first to come to mind but there are also many group, like on Facebook, that people will sell you the item.

Personally, re-releasing a BAF is something I kind of like because it give people the baf they missed out on but at the same time it make get the whole wave pointless.

Though people who purchased the whole wave with figures they didn't even want finish a BAF would have a problem with this, I think it's a good idea as well. The thing is it would have to be done at a much later time (like a year or so) as to not have a direct effect on the market of the standard line. Basically incentive would still be there for the customer to purchase the wave to build the figure or wait a year or so for the general release. Of course, then you run into having to determine the demand for any particular figure. Dare I say that the demand for a Caliban figure at a $25+ may not be as strong as say Kingpin.

I’m not taking any offense to these comments and not trying to have conflict with anyone.  I like the idea of rerunning some of the baf , I believe that can work. The hulk buster hulk two pack was a great way to get it out again and the upcoming colossus juggernaut is awesome too.  Would you mind sharing some of the other groups or websites that would be another option to the dreaded eBay?

2 hours ago, Benn said:

I'd really like to see them split some BAFs up over more than one wave, so they could do bigger figures. I wouldn't complain at all if next year there were two X-Men waves you needed to complete to build a single sentinel, for instance.

Same.  And a NEWLY SCULPTED Sentinel at that.  Not that Marvel Universe one they've reused a couple times now. 

13 hours ago, Benn said:

I'd really like to see them split some BAFs up over more than one wave, so they could do bigger figures. I wouldn't complain at all if next year there were two X-Men waves you needed to complete to build a single sentinel, for instance.

This is a really great idea. I can’t say I’ve ever considered it before now, but it sounds good when I think about it. The only major drawback that comes to mind however, is that it might only appeal to or even succeed with hardcore collectors. Casual collectors may not be in “the know” well enough to understand or be aware of the two wave release of the parts, which might generate confusion or resentment: “Why do I have these random parts that don’t complete anything?” Though, tbf, those same people are likely to not understand the BaF concept altogether, so who knows. What I do know is that my excitement to unbox that final Sentinel piece would be off the charts. So I’m all in for such a thing. It would be a way to release other “Super Build-a-Figures” down the road, too. 

I could see the torso pieces being divided into two parts, to allow for such large pieces and still fit them into the normal sized ML packaging.

19 minutes ago, michiganjfrog said:

I would be ok with that, as long as its not like so many pieces making up a large figure it feels like legos lol

but as long as the parts can snap together well id say go for it

I imagine a “Super BaF” could be split across just two waves. Using a Sentinel as an example, the first wave could provide all of the pieces to build the waist up (2 piece split torso, 2 arms, 1 head = 5 pieces), and the second wave could provide all of the pieces to build the waist down (1 hips, 2 legs, and maybe 2 blast effects and/or restraining tentacles = 5 pieces).

3 hours ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

I imagine a “Super BaF” could be split across just two waves. Using a Sentinel as an example, the first wave could provide all of the pieces to build the waist up (2 piece split torso, 2 arms, 1 head = 5 pieces), and the second wave could provide all of the pieces to build the waist down (1 hips, 2 legs, and maybe 2 blast effects and/or restraining tentacles = 5 pieces).

Except that increases the problem with BAF's as now you will have to buy two waves which may include figures you don't want, instead of one wave.

How about part of the Sentinel is an Archangel deluxe-type release? Maybe the head and torso and have the rest of the parts divided across one X-men wave? 

But really why is Hasbro making it hard for everyone? They should reserve the the 12” (?) Deluxe figures (previously for Spidey, Iron Man, Cap, Wolverine, Deadpool, etc) for actual larger characters. Make them online/fan channel exclusives. 

23 minutes ago, enzosaurusrex said:

How about part of the Sentinel is an Archangel deluxe-type release? Maybe the head and torso and have the rest of the parts divided across one X-men wave? 

But really why is Hasbro making it hard for everyone? They should reserve the the 12” (?) Deluxe figures (previously for Spidey, Iron Man, Cap, Wolverine, Deadpool, etc) for actual larger characters. Make them online/fan channel exclusives. 

Would people really buy half a figure, especially at a deluxe price point? 

Personally I don't see why they don't do figures in different size classes like Transformers. Have the standard figures (TF Deluxe class), some deluxes (TF Voyager class) and an annual extra large figure (TF Titan Class)

9 hours ago, leokearon said:

Except that increases the problem with BAF's as now you will have to buy two waves which may include figures you don't want, instead of one wave.

True for some, but the idea of the BaFs is to encourage people to buy entire waves anyway, so I don’t think Hasbro would see that as a problem.

Ultimately, I think the cross wave release of a single BaF is probably a bad idea just because of the general confusion it might create, and the all around frustration. But it’s still fun to think about. I can easily imagine it as being something Toybiz did in 2006, and we would now look back on it scratching our heads or downright complaining about it. It seems like the best way to go would always be to offer larger characters as part of the 12” line, or something similar. 

9 hours ago, enzosaurusrex said:

There it is.  Preach!  I know I'd shell out for Ultimo, Fin Fang Foom, all of the various and sundry growing giant characters, and some sentinels.  Good lord the Sentinels thing frustrates me.  No ab muscles, no mark II blue & grey color scheme, no "Here Comes Tomorrow" version, and for god's sake, no packed-in Wolverine figure to try and justify the outrageous price tag.  Make and sell me a damn Sentinel.  I swear, I'll buy three if you keep it $50 - $60.

This is what a Sentinel looks like:

sentinels.thumb.jpg.ec5cf23a7bc92da86ec5a31ca47f066e.jpg

Easy-peasy.  Please stop phoning it in, and/or over-thinking it.  I don't mind some detailing or stylizing or trying to make it look a little more mechanical, but do not try to sell me this:

b5c417d013d0c61dd338980391f552ca--sentinel-xmen-comic-villains.thumb.jpg.b25077b186ba56cce54060301c7f32a0.jpg

46 minutes ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

True for some, but the idea of the BaFs is to encourage people to buy entire waves anyway, so I don’t think Hasbro would see that as a problem.

Ultimately, I think the cross wave release of a single BaF is probably a bad idea just because of the general confusion it might create, and the all around frustration. But it’s still fun to think about. I can easily imagine it as being something Toybiz did in 2006, and we would now look back on it scratching our heads or downright complaining about it. It seems like the best way to go would always be to offer larger characters as part of the 12” line, or something similar. 

It would probably also cause a logistic nightmare, especially if one of the waves doesn't turn up or gets delayed