Legends baf figures different options?

Joe_ker

39 minutes ago, MonsterChris said:

There it is.  Preach!  I know I'd shell out for Ultimo, Fin Fang Foom, all of the various and sundry growing giant characters, and some sentinels.  Good lord the Sentinels thing frustrates me.  No ab muscles, no mark II blue & grey color scheme, no "Here Comes Tomorrow" version, and for god's sake, no packed-in Wolverine figure to try and justify the outrageous price tag.  Make and sell me a damn Sentinel.  I swear, I'll buy three if you keep it $50 - $60.

This is what a Sentinel looks like:

sentinels.thumb.jpg.ec5cf23a7bc92da86ec5a31ca47f066e.jpg

Easy-peasy.  Please stop phoning it in, and/or over-thinking it.  I don't mind some detailing or stylizing or trying to make it look a little more mechanical, but do not try to sell me this:

b5c417d013d0c61dd338980391f552ca--sentinel-xmen-comic-villains.thumb.jpg.b25077b186ba56cce54060301c7f32a0.jpg

Well, I'd probably buy that.

10 hours ago, leokearon said:

Would people really buy half a figure, especially at a deluxe price point? 

Personally I don't see why they don't do figures in different size classes like Transformers. Have the standard figures (TF Deluxe class), some deluxes (TF Voyager class) and an annual extra large figure (TF Titan Class)

that makes sense,works for TF's

1 hour ago, Satam said:

Well, I'd probably buy that.

Lol, I'm sure you're not alone, but I'm a soft touch for classic looks.  I honestly wouldn't mind "mechanizing" the design a little bit, but the six-pack, flared shoulders, and other nonsense on the most recent release (along with the price point, tbh) ruined it for me.  The old Toybiz one is the best offering to-date in my opinion, but still not quite hitting the mark for me - the proportions, color scheme and exposed "innards" kind of ruin it.  I love Silvestri and the design was really sharp in it's original context, but I'd want a classic one done really well before they produced any more variations on the theme.

2 hours ago, leokearon said:

It would probably also cause a logistic nightmare, especially if one of the waves doesn't turn up or gets delayed

This 100 percent.  The first wave pegwarms and the second wave is virtually nonexistent until it shows up at Ross/TJ Maxx/Marshall's a year or so later (Hello, GI Joe MASS Device DVD Packs!).  Especially if the super BAF is split across "non-movie" waves. (Also I'd be concerned about how the arms would fit together well if we're separating bicep and forearm, though maybe it could be arm and hand which would probably work fine).

I don't think a "deluxe" assortment is a terrible idea, though I think Hasbro is being smart about it, offering it mostly as exclusives.  Full-on cases of old BAFs might overload the wallets of most collectors with all the other product coming out, especially as you KNOW Hasbro is going to change them up in one way or another to make them appeal to those that already have the old BAFs (Added accessories, slightly better paint deco/alt-headsculpts, etc...).

On the plus side it would probably cause the secondary market for those BAFs to plummet.

That said, the BAF system is there for a reason.  Without it, we probably NEVER get the oddball and obscure characters that I know some people dislike, but a fair number of comic fans are quite happy to get (I LOVE Citizen V, for example, and Batroc, and Tiger-Shark, just as a few examples.  The Serpent Society hits my nostalgia sweet spot too even if IMO none of them have been the cooler/better known members so far).  I don't think even the biggest BAF detractors would be thrilled if every wave was just main characters and A-List villains in MCU and Comic form.  Once you made it through one round of the A-List there'd be nothing but remakes to make.

It can't be what drives sales, but it definitely wouldn't warm pegs online at stores like Big Bad, Dorkside, Megalopolis, Pulse etc.  But I would also be very nervous that our only other option to get a brand new 18" figure, besides a BAF split over two waves, would be Has Lab and that they would decide it should cost upwards of $300 or more.