2019 SDCC Exclusive Marvel Legends 6" MCU Grandmaster And The Collector 2-Pack Revealed

JayC

Hasbro has revealed their second 2019 San Diego Comic Con 6" Marvel Legends exclusive today via THR. It will be a a 2-pack that features Grandmaster (Jeff Goldblum) from Thor: Ragnarok and The Collector (Benicio del Toro) from Guardians of the Galaxy. There will also be some of these made available at a other select conventions in North America, South America, Australia and Europe as well as select retailers in Asia. The EB Games booth at Fan Expo Canada will also be selling these. We also believe these will see a limited number made available on the Hasbro Pulse sometime after SDCC.

Based on the packaging images, The Grandmaster figure seems to be pretty much the same figure released in the upcoming MCU set with the same staff, but you also will get the prison chair Thor was trapped in and a puddle of goo for disintegrating people with the staff.

The Collector seems to come with an alternate head with sunglasses, the ball that encased the Infinity Gem and a prison box with Cosmo the Spacedog. It's unknown if Cosmo is removable from the cage.

THR says there are four accessories, its hard to tell if the chair and Cosmos are actual accessories or just part of the packaging backdrops. We will update when we learn more.

UPDATE: Upon further inspection of the images, it looks like the 4 accessories are simply the staff, the alternate head for The Collector, the puddle of goo and the sphere that held the Infinity Gem. Unfortunately that means the chair and the cage with Cosmo are just part of the packaging and not actual accessories. It's still not clear if those things are just drawings or 3D cardboard pieces similar to what we saw last year with the Netflix set and the subway.

HASBRO_MARVEL_LEGENDS_SERIES_6-INCH_THE_COLLECTOR_&_THE_GRANDMASTER_2-PACK_-_oop.png

HASBRO_MARVEL_LEGENDS_SERIES_6-INCH_THE_COLLECTOR_&_THE_GRANDMASTER_2-PACK_-_in_pck_(1).png

HASBRO_MARVEL_LEGENDS_SERIES_6-INCH_THE_COLLECTOR_&_THE_GRANDMASTER_2-PACK_-_in_pck_(2).png

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 2.01.37 PM (2).jpg

oh please tell me there will be one more set. A comic book set. This is BS especially since we are getting GM in a Box set. They could have put Meik or Cosmo or anybody that's not coming out to regular stores. 

oh well, I want Collector (since his comic book design has become similar to this) so it look's like I will be getting 2 Grandmasters.

3 minutes ago, tarot said:

This is BS especially since we are getting GM in a Box set...oh well, I want Collector (since his comic book design has become similar to this) so it look's like I will be getting 2 Grandmasters.

Oh yeah... I didn't think of that.  That is kind of lame.  Sorry for you MCU collectors.  (MCU Collector collectors?)

3 minutes ago, tarot said:

oh please tell me there will be one more set. A comic book set. This is BS especially since we are getting GM in a Box set. They could have put Meik or Cosmo or anybody that's not coming out to regular stores. 

oh well, I want Collector (since his comic book design has become similar to this) so it look's like I will be getting 2 Grandmasters.

The Hulk figure is comic book based. I believe Cosmo is included as an accessory for The Collector and all these figures generally get released at regular retail without the additional accessories and fancy packaging. I dont know if this is it for Marvel Legends or not though, but I kinda like these.

Its said these will have 4 accessories. From these images its hard to tell if the prison chair and the cage with Cosmo are accessories or just part of the packaging backdrop. Hasbro should release more hi-res images later today where hopefully we can get a better look.

2 minutes ago, JayC said:

Its said these will have 4 accessories. From these images its hard to tell if the prison chair and the cage with Cosmo are accessories or just part of the packaging backdrop. Hasbro should release more hi-res images later today where hopefully we can get a better look.

well if cosmo is in it I will be happy but still calling BS on it coming with GM.

6 minutes ago, ADour said:

The cage and chair are visibly  part of the backdrop.

Well the packaged images arent clear but the loose image just shows the 4 basic accessories, so yeah they are just part of the package. Whether they are 3D cardboard pieces or simply drawings isnt 100% clear but either way its kinda lame. Might be similar to the Subway packaging they did with the Netflix set last year.

When it comes down to it, the question is how much do you want The Collector? Is it worth either buying two Grandmasters or passing on the regular release set which means you will miss out on Korg.  If I had to choose I would go with the set featuring Korg and hope Hasbro eventually releases Collector in some other way, but that's no guarantee. Hasbro never did release Iron Fist from last years set and now that those shows are canceled they may never get around to doing that one.  If I had to choose between The Collector and Korg though I would go with Korg. He's cooler looking and has had more screen time in the movies.

Well, the good news is that this means it will probably be easy for folks to buy Grandmaster loose, since a lot of folks will end up with 2 of him.  Personally I think I prefer Korg over the Collector (and pile of goo accessory).  The Collector does look good, though.  Should've thrown in Cosmo though even if he had no articulation.  And incuding the restraining chair with Grandmaster would've been sweet.  The pile of goo is an awfully boring accessory, they should've thrown in his keyboard or his device for zapping Thor or something.

If iirc the Ragnarok wave came out close to the Thor SDCC set so there were kind of back-to-back Jane Foster figs although i think they were slightly different paint jobs.. plus of course Jane was one of 5 figures, not 1 of 2.  I can understand why sdcc-goers who were planning on getting the 80th 2-pack would be annoyed by this exclusive, even though on its merits its a pretty sweet set.

I gotta say I am surprised with this reveal, didn't see it coming at all. I also am surprised that I don't have any interest in this Collector fig, and I always thought if they released one I would, also hate to say it but I feel like Hasbro copped out just giving us really the exact same Grandmaster fig with additional accessories and a alt face, it's not exciting at all, but hey at least I know this is an easy pass for me, my wallet sighs with relief