2019 SDCC Exclusive Marvel Legends 6" MCU Grandmaster And The Collector 2-Pack Revealed

JayC

At last, we'll get the collector!
He looks great. I wish he had the ether container instead of the power gem.
Also, Nasty Hasbro wants us to buy a second Grand Master!?
I won't buy 2 but I'll try to get the Collector or Korg separately.
Last year I easily found the SDCC Red Skull on Aliexpress and will do the same for the Collector.

Gonna pass on this one, for now. I'll get the Grandmaster/Korg 2 pack and wait on the Collector. There's absolutely no way Hasbro's gonna spring for the resources to produce that Collector figure and not capitalize on the possibility to make a lot more money on a general release. Just like none of us were at all surprised when most of the figures from the Black Panther 2 packs made it into that "emergency" second wave. I can see them leaving comic based figures that are done on reusable bucks with reusable parts on the exclusive room floor, but there's no way they're gonna let a figure done with real scan tech rot away as a one-off. Rest assured, he will make it out as a general release or at least as a 2 pack or a store or etailer exclusive (hopefully not Walmart).

1 minute ago, monron999 said:

Gonna pass on this one, for now. I'll get the Grandmaster/Korg 2 pack and wait on the Collector. There's absolutely no way Hasbro's gonna spring for the resources to produce that Collector figure and not capitalize on the possibility to make a lot more money on a general release. Just like none of us were at all surprised when most of the figures from the Black Panther 2 packs made it into that "emergency" second wave. I can see them leaving comic based figures that are done on reusable bucks with reusable parts on the exclusive room floor, but there's no way they're gonna let a figure done with real scan tech rot away as a one-off. Rest assured, he will make it out as a general release or at least as a 2 pack or a store or etailer exclusive (hopefully not Walmart).

I know, I know, someone's gonna point out that we never got a general release of Netflix Iron Fist or Colleen Wing, but I suspect the intention was there to do it, but the bottom fell outta that whole Marvel/Netflix situation so fast they just pulled the plug on everything in order to wipe the taste out ASAP. Seriously, the second seasons of IF and Cage were so terrible I don't know if I woulda wanted the figures if they'd been released. I seriously only bought the Cage/Claire pack (on massive clearance) for the Claire figure cuz she was in the Daredevil series.

55 minutes ago, monron999 said:

most of the figures from the Black Panther 2 packs made it into that "emergency" second wave.

What were those 2packs? The Killmonger and Ross and which other one? The Shuri/Klaw? I mean, don't get me wrong, I know most of the second wave of BP is kitbash but I don't think any figure was previously on a twopack... or maybe I missed them.

59 minutes ago, monron999 said:

I know, I know, someone's gonna point out that we never got a general release of Netflix Iron Fist or Colleen Wing, but I suspect the intention was there to do it, but the bottom fell outta that whole Marvel/Netflix situation so fast they just pulled the plug on everything in order to wipe the taste out ASAP. Seriously, the second seasons of IF and Cage were so terrible I don't know if I woulda wanted the figures if they'd been released. I seriously only bought the Cage/Claire pack (on massive clearance) for the Claire figure cuz she was in the Daredevil series.

I would agree that the netflix figures were an exceptional situation.  my personal (unsubstantiated) belief is that they originally intended to release Iron Fist and Colleen as part of a 2nd netflix wave but poor sales put the kibosh on that, so they put the sdcc defenders set out as a way of getting those figures out somehow. 

I do hope Collector gets a separate release.  That said, if i saw this set available on hasbropulse, i may well grab it.  Even if one ended up with both Grandmasters, the one from the sdcc set seems like he would be nice just to keep on display in package, and certainly the collector will be valuable at least until they announce his re-release.

Probably the most likely option would be Hasbro re-releasing Collector as part of a 2-pack, perhaps with Groot or Gamora.  Even better with be a set with Collector and Volstagg (since the 2 met at the end of the Dark World) but that seems quite unlikely.  Or they could do us a solid and release Collector with Miek to make up for his absence in the Korg set.

And to echo memocromatico,  i don't think you're correct about BP wave 2, i think Killmonger's head is the only duplicate from a 2-pack although maybe they reused Killmonger's panther body for one of the wave figs i suppose. Of course they did re-use some panther bodies from earlier waves and kitbash figures from older parts.

2 hours ago, memocromatico said:

What were those 2packs? The Killmonger and Ross and which other one? The Shuri/Klaw? I mean, don't get me wrong, I know most of the second wave of BP is kitbash but I don't think any figure was previously on a twopack... or maybe I missed them.

Ya, I was thinking the Ayo and M'Baku figures had shown up in a 2 pack somewhere as well, maybe my own hopes & wishes. It basically stemmed from a statement I had made a while back that the whole narrative of a 2nd "emergency" wave of BP was BS and it had been in the works cuz they suddenly popped out these figures using real scan tech in a matter of a few weeks. Leading me to believe they were locked and ready the whole time should the sales of the first wave (particularly the MCU figs) do well. Some wise guy (2 guesses who that was) decided to send scans of the Killmonger 2 pack, and I thought another, to "prove me wrong" and it was just a reissue. My argument was basically the same though. I maintain that they're not gonna use the scan technology unless they firmly intend to make big profit off it. I know the E. Ross was never used again, but I'll also maintain that it will eventually be used as I think Marvel Studios is setting him up to be the next SHIELD main contact in the next phase of the MCU (cuz Sam Jackson is closer to 80 than 50). Also it's been pointed out that the Killmonger face sculpt is different but it makes to the point that it's most likely that they probably do more than one scan at a time so they can chose and use any number of different sculpts for the final product. What easier way to create a "Malibu Barbie" than to have several scans ready for press?

I think there was definitely an intention to do more Black Panther figures, as we did get real scans of Andy Serkis/Klaue and the various Dora Milaje.  But I speculate that most of that second wave was originally planned to be issued multi-packs (probably with at least one of the two T'Challa figures added as "filler") and/or as part of the 10th Anniversary line.

Klaue/Tactical Killmonger

M'baku/Dora Milaje (alternately either/both of these could have been single-carded 10th Anniversary product)

T'Chaka/One of the T'Challas (probably the "power up" version)

But yeah...like I said just speculation on my part but it makes a certain degree of sense to me.  It really seems like the only major character they forgot/ignored initially was Shuri (which makes no sense to me, but still).

It's a cool set if you're not buying the Korg figure. I don't really know where to put the Collector figure in my collection. He hasn't been in a lot of movies so not a lot of display options. Plus I'm not going to SDCC so I'm gonna half to choose between this set and the Vintage Hulk figure. I'm leaning towards the Hulk figure since I'm not getting the 2pk with the Wolverine cuz I already have last year's tiger striped one and I'm fine with either looks of the Hulk.

5 hours ago, AnotherPunkChef said:

I think con exclusives need to stop.... like, let's reward the people who can afford to go to SDCC by giving them figures no one else can get unless they pay $500 on eBay....

Personally I hate all exclusives. At least with some companies they have the decency to give the SDCC exclusives a retail release, with some more alterations