Far from home wave

fnafjohnnylind

This is a lackluster wave at best. The two shining points are Hydro Man, who we've been waiting for and MCU Mysterio. The Scorpion looks good, but I can't get over the size of the figure. He's always been shown, in whatever costume, to be much more imposing. He should not be around the same height or build as the standard Pizza Spidey figure. Maybe most aren't bothered by this but it bothers me tremendously after waiting so long for this figure. I liken it to the case with the US Agent figure where it seems Hasbro was so intent on using it's new body mold they used it improperly on a figure that was clearly the wrong size. I do appreciate the long bendable tail and the new buck is actually quite good (it seems to be an upsized version of the standard "fit" mold from the MU line), but it was just wrong and an overall disappointment. The Doppleganger is not even worth commenting on. Luckily, I can't remember any more characters they could possibly use this monstrosity of a mold for. But I'm sure I could be wrong. The MCU Spidey is just weeeeak. Simplistic sculpt, waxy plastic, zero paint detail. Honestly, it looks like a highly articulated version of something you'd find at Dollar Tree. Ya, I know there's not all that much to the characters design, I'm quite prone to pointing that out myself, but damn, with the lessened amount of effort it took to produce this figure the least they coulda done is a wash for the lines of the web detail. That thing was so mailed in I think there was a postage stamp stuck to his ass. Stealth Spidey is actually better than I thought. Julia Carpenter is what it is. Another cool character with a cool head sculpt on the reliable, yet too skinny, female version of the Bucky Cap mold. The BAF was a decent effort and it seems somewhat movie accurate from what we've been able to see so far, but it's just plain ugly and does not translate well into plastic form. If any of you that don't have it yet are like me and holding out that it looks better in hand, I assure you it does not.

In the end, we got a decent Hydro Man with a minor "no arms" complaint, a good looking Scorpion that got left in the dryer a bit too long, quite possibly the best movie figure I've ever seen from a Spider-Man line, a nice little nod to Spider Noir, a total throw away character as an excuse to use a totally specific and terrible sculpt, another awesome female character who got toned down (once again) to appease the outspoken offended few over the quiet majority, another run of the mill Spider-Man with a different color palette and a BAF that had good intentions but was a swing & miss.

7 minutes ago, monron999 said:

appease the outspoken offended few over the quiet majority,

To each their own, but I've heard more and louder complaints from the "quiet majority" than the "outspoken offended". I personally have no issues either way TBH, so I could care less, I only buying her for the BAF piece which looks great IMO in photos... but may not look so glowy IRL.

21 hours ago, memocromatico said:

To each their own, but I've heard more and louder complaints from the "quiet majority" than the "outspoken offended". I personally have no issues either way TBH, so I could care less, I only buying her for the BAF piece which looks great IMO in photos... but may not look so glowy IRL.

There's a pretty sizable hollow cavity in the BAF's upper torso.  I think people are putting a small light in there to make it glow from the inside for an interesting mod.  It looks pretty coppery otherwise in hand and with no mods, but it is supposed to be a molten monster so I have no problem with that.

21 hours ago, monron999 said:

This is a lackluster wave at best. The two shining points are Hydro Man, who we've been waiting for and MCU Mysterio. The Scorpion looks good, but I can't get over the size of the figure. He's always been shown, in whatever costume, to be much more imposing. He should not be around the same height or build as the standard Pizza Spidey figure. Maybe most aren't bothered by this but it bothers me tremendously after waiting so long for this figure. I liken it to the case with the US Agent figure where it seems Hasbro was so intent on using it's new body mold they used it improperly on a figure that was clearly the wrong size. I do appreciate the long bendable tail and the new buck is actually quite good (it seems to be an upsized version of the standard "fit" mold from the MU line), but it was just wrong and an overall disappointment. The Doppleganger is not even worth commenting on. Luckily, I can't remember any more characters they could possibly use this monstrosity of a mold for. But I'm sure I could be wrong. The MCU Spidey is just weeeeak. Simplistic sculpt, waxy plastic, zero paint detail. Honestly, it looks like a highly articulated version of something you'd find at Dollar Tree. Ya, I know there's not all that much to the characters design, I'm quite prone to pointing that out myself, but damn, with the lessened amount of effort it took to produce this figure the least they coulda done is a wash for the lines of the web detail. That thing was so mailed in I think there was a postage stamp stuck to his ass. Stealth Spidey is actually better than I thought. Julia Carpenter is what it is. Another cool character with a cool head sculpt on the reliable, yet too skinny, female version of the Bucky Cap mold. The BAF was a decent effort and it seems somewhat movie accurate from what we've been able to see so far, but it's just plain ugly and does not translate well into plastic form. If any of you that don't have it yet are like me and holding out that it looks better in hand, I assure you it does not.

In the end, we got a decent Hydro Man with a minor "no arms" complaint, a good looking Scorpion that got left in the dryer a bit too long, quite possibly the best movie figure I've ever seen from a Spider-Man line, a nice little nod to Spider Noir, a total throw away character as an excuse to use a totally specific and terrible sculpt, another awesome female character who got toned down (once again) to appease the outspoken offended few over the quiet majority, another run of the mill Spider-Man with a different color palette and a BAF that had good intentions but was a swing & miss.

I agree there are definitely some things that could have been handled better, I'd have liked a bulkier Scorpion too, but lackluster compared to the first half of the year? Not quite.  The only wave that outright beats this one is Caliban, since the selection there was top notch.  The other waves either had a great BAF (Kingpin) and okay figure selection, a good BAF but less than desirable figures (Thanos and M'Baku), or were a complete miss like Captain Marvel.   

On 6/27/2019 at 12:28 PM, memocromatico said:

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't against the BAF from the start, nor am I now. I had high hopes cuz we've been fooled by production shots before. I for one thought Thing was gonna be terrible, but boy was I fortunately wrong. This was not the case though with Molten Man. Just the overall execution was bad. Anywhere from the translucent orange of the torso to the painted neon orange on the limbs, to the goofy look on his face. Like I said, it was just a very bad translation and from what I've seen its just not that good a representation from the movie. Just look at these and tell me you would think they're the same guy. The awesome face from the screen version alone is nowhere near what the BAF looks like. Hell, maybe they're two different characters in the movie, but even if they are I still don't think this BAF is what the character was intended to look like.

molten-man(1).jpg

molten-01.jpg

Having 3 pieces of that Molten Man BaF in-hand, I can tell you that it’s pretty dopey. The right knee doesn’t even have full range of motion because of sculpting. It also looks more like Clayface from DC to me. 

Now that I have Scorpion, I’m even more disappointed that Hasbro didn’t go with the open faced mask on the portrait. The face actually has the opening of the mask sculpted, but they chose to fill it in with chrome green paint rather than flesh tone. I get that that’s one of the character’s looks, but having the open mouth with lips in a sea of green mask just looks silly. Also, the buck is somewhat undersized for the character, or so I think. Scorpion ends up being shorter than Hydro-Man, but only slightly taller than Mystique. It’s...weird. It’s a very nice buck, however, and I look forward to more suitable uses for it down the line. The long bendy tail is awesome, though, and a very appreciated addition. Too bad that wasn’t done with Doc Ock’s tentacles.

55 minutes ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

Having 3 pieces of that Molten Man BaF in-hand, I can tell you that it’s pretty dopey. The right knee doesn’t even have full range of motion because of sculpting. It also looks more like Clayface from DC to me. 

Now that I have Scorpion, I’m even more disappointed that Hasbro didn’t go with the open faced mask on the portrait. The face actually has the opening of the mask sculpted, but they chose to fill it in with chrome green paint rather than flesh tone. I get that that’s one of the character’s looks, but having the open mouth with lips in a sea of green mask just looks silly. Also, the buck is somewhat undersized for the character, or so I think. Scorpion ends up being shorter than Hydro-Man, but only slightly taller than Mystique. It’s...weird. It’s a very nice buck, however, and I look forward to more suitable uses for it down the line. The long bendy tail is awesome, though, and a very appreciated addition. Too bad that wasn’t done with Doc Ock’s tentacles.

I hate to tell you but he had that open sculpting but covered mouth in the comics as well

15 hours ago, tarot said:

I hate to tell you but he had that open sculpting but covered mouth in the comics as well

Yeah I realize that, and even mentioned that in my last post, but Scorpion also has a variation of the same costume where his lower face/mouth isn’t covered by the mask. That has always been my preferred look for the character as opposed to what ultimately became this new figure. 

On 6/28/2019 at 4:34 PM, monron999 said:

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't against the BAF from the start, nor am I now. I had high hopes cuz we've been fooled by production shots before. I for one thought Thing was gonna be terrible, but boy was I fortunately wrong. This was not the case though with Molten Man. Just the overall execution was bad. Anywhere from the translucent orange of the torso to the painted neon orange on the limbs, to the goofy look on his face. Like I said, it was just a very bad translation and from what I've seen its just not that good a representation from the movie. Just look at these and tell me you would think they're the same guy. The awesome face from the screen version alone is nowhere near what the BAF looks like. Hell, maybe they're two different characters in the movie, but even if they are I still don't think this BAF is what the character was intended to look like.

molten-man(1).jpg

molten-01.jpg

Try holding the figure up under natural light.  I did this under a skylight and the way it passes through the figure looks a lot like this screenshot you have from the film.  It won't have you falling in love with the figure I'd imagine, but it helped me feel better about it.

8 minutes ago, tarot said:

After seeing the movie, I have to say that, while the Spideys and Mysterio are perfect inclusions, I think Molten Man was the wrong choice for the BAF. Can't say why but it wasn't as important as all the companies are making him out to be.

Shhhhhh , Your alluding to much about the character, people gotta see the movie :wink:

but really who or what would make sense enough as a BAF for a Far From Home Themed wave , and don't say some random comic dude you dream was the BAF, cause we all know A Movie ortiented wave isn't going that way inless they have nooo option

On 7/3/2019 at 9:43 PM, tarot said:

After seeing the movie, I have to say that, while the Spideys and Mysterio are perfect inclusions, I think Molten Man was the wrong choice for the BAF. Can't say why but it wasn't as important as all the companies are making him out to be.

I haven’t seen the movie but I’ve heard this same thing from a few people. 

On 7/3/2019 at 8:49 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Shhhhhh , Your alluding to much about the character, people gotta see the movie :wink:

but really who or what would make sense enough as a BAF for a Far From Home Themed wave , and don't say some random comic dude you dream was the BAF, cause we all know A Movie ortiented wave isn't going that way inless they have nooo option

I get WHY he was the BaF since **HIGHLIGHT FOR SPOILERS** He was the only elemental Spidey actually fought. The wind and earth elemental were fought offscreen and the water elemental just kicked his ass around.**END SPOILERS** but I would have rather they given us Hydro Man MCU. I thought it was a more interesting design and, even without building it, you'd have spare water effects for the comic HydroMan.

On 6/28/2019 at 3:34 PM, monron999 said:

molten-man(1).jpg

molten-01.jpg

Well, I built it, and while you're right on certain levels, I really liked it. The translucent chest makes for interesting display options, I'm considering what @greenlucario suggested with an LED inside it. I think it could look even cooler than it does.

I like how it looks displayed next to other figures. But I like it most, tho, because it serves as **HIGHLIGHT FOR SPOILERS**  a display of powers for Mysterio.