Spider-Man: Far From Home Non-Spoiler Movie Review

JayC

Spider-Man: Far From Home gives us our first real look at the Marvel Cinematic Universe after Avengers: Endgame, a world without Iron Man – a major theme in this film. Peter (Tom Holland) is back home in NYC with his Aunt May (Marisa Tomei), and we see him dealing with everything from life as a hero in the national spotlight to his return to a high school and a world coping with the knowledge of aliens and the loss and return of half its population. I will say I was a little disappointed that a scene highlighted in many of the early trailers surprisingly was missing from the final movie.

For the basic plot, Peter is feeling a bit burnt out and wants nothing more than to get on with his high school life, get noticed by his new love infatuation MJ (Zendaya) and go on vacation to Europe on a school trip. Of course, the latest world crisis and Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) have other plans for the Wall-Crawler.

The movie has a lot of fun moments and good action sequences involving both Spider-Man and newcomer Mysterio played by Jake Gyllenhaal who, despite initial appearances, did a good job capturing the essence of the character from the comics. However, the movie suffers from what I would consider to be a weak story plot. On the surface it seems okay but when you really start to dig in, it becomes quite flimsy and filled with holes. As I was walking out of the theater I could even hear a 12-year old girl questioning her mother on the believability of some of the plot points. I also thought they overplayed Peter’s teenage awkwardness at times. At first it was okay because it was somewhat understandable and even funny, but after a while it started to detract from the overall enjoyment of the film and even made things drag at times.

Of the five MCU movies with Spider-Man, this was my least favorite. And that’s not even because this is the first MCU movie without a Stan Lee cameo of any kind. Despite all that however, I still don’t consider this to be a bad movie because of things like the cool fighting sequences as Spider-Man faces off against the Elementals (which looked pretty good on the IMAX screen), funny moments like when Nick Fury knocks out Ned (Jacob Batalon) with a tranq dart, cool MCU easter eggs which I can’t talk about without spoiling the movie, and the many Spider-Man suits (every MCU Spider-Man suite to date makes an appearance in this one).

Whether you like or hate the movie itself, take my advice and do not miss the two after credit scenes. Both are very important to the MCU, and the first one sees a surprise return of someone you might not have expected to see again in a Marvel movie. These two scenes alone probably make the movie worth seeing at least one time.

GRADE: B-

Far-From-Home-IMAX__scaled_600.jpg

31 minutes ago, tarot said:

The mcu spidey is the closest to the comics of any movie. What are you talking about? Amazing spiderman movies were #$##

I think the Tobey Maguire movies where the most true to the comics at least the first two movies. I like Holland but I think he does better when he has other heroes to play off of. I liked Homecoming better than this one but his best movies were Civil War and Infinity War.

58 minutes ago, tarot said:

The mcu spidey is the closest to the comics of any movie. What are you talking about? Amazing spiderman movies were #$##

If he was the closest to the comics then where is uncle Ben and he definitely didn’t make his own suit and in the comics Spider-Man and tony stark can never really be considered friends 

2 minutes ago, Spideyperson333 said:

If he was the closest to the comics then where is uncle Ben and he definitely didn’t make his own suit and in the comics Spider-Man and tony stark can never really be considered friends 

He was there. They didnnt want to do the origin again so they killed him off screen. You see this mentioned when peter tries to explain to ned why they shouldnt tell may.

9 minutes ago, Spideyperson333 said:

Well tbh there’s no actual actual evidence that Ben exist in the MCU other than the briefcase from the far from home trailer so... but I really hope they introduce him at some point because he is a major part of Spider-Man and without him Spidey would probably not exist 

Nah, I think we're good without seen Uncle Ben die again. There's enough evidence if you know where to look for it. Enough for some pretty cool theories to be thrown around.

I understand you thinking otherwise, if SM3 was the first movie you saw in cinema you must be young. It feels like it from how you write. It's ok really, it just comes to show how different generations react to different portrayals, and I think that's great.

Holland is my personal favourite Parker and Spidey, I think he's balanced enough as both. Maguire was a bit too 60s Parker IMO, and Garfield was too Spidey without the mask. Holland feels contemporary. Guess that works for and against him.

I agree with Jay C, tho. He definitely works best bouncing off of other heroes. 

Yeah Holland’s not so bad I just really don’t like the tony stark aspect of the whole thing cuz it makes peter feel less independent in that he was given an iron man suit basically but it just feels like he really hasn’t grown much as a character in all his appearances hopefully he grows more mature in this film and I’m not saying Uncle Ben has to die when we see him but maybe a flashback to him and young peter and Uncle Ben say the classic line with great power comes great responsibility to maybe inspire peter

1 minute ago, Satam said:

Kind of, because I really don't like Tom Holland and I really did like Amazing Spider-Man, but after that second movie, I don't think I would have wanted a third.

Yeah but i heard that the third movie was gonna have the sinister six and Mary Jane and I would have wanted to see the after math of Gwen’s death on peter and also see him get over it and accept and it would have been cool to see the peter and Mj dynamic and if it changes from the Raimi films

2 hours ago, Spideyperson333 said:

Yeah but i heard that the third movie was gonna have the sinister six and Mary Jane and I would have wanted to see the after math of Gwen’s death on peter and also see him get over it and accept and it would have been cool to see the peter and Mj dynamic and if it changes from the Raimi films

Sure, but when I see a bad movie, I don't expect the same people to make a good follow up.

I liked it, too, but the "at best" scenario would have been impossible. Kurtzman and Orci had nothing to do with that first movie, but they both cowrote the script for 2, and as I understand it, they were the only writers on the script for a third movie, which, and I totally forgot about all this $&!#, would have had Peter resurrecting Gwen and her dad but would also bring in Spider-Gwen from another universe.  That's just a mess in and of itself.  Bringing Mary Jane and the Sinister Six into that, too, would have just made it even worse.   No thanks.

my feelings are..

I prefer the Tobey Maguire movies over all but Holland is really great too but It depends on how they treat his character and that's what holds him back from being the best

Homecoming was one of my least fav MCU films just because of the whole highschooly thing and it was so different from what you would expect a Spider-Man movie to be, but Holland and Keaton knocked their roles out of the park. and Holland is even better in civil war, IF war and endgame

I can't wait to watch this. In my theater and according to the trailer, the movie comes out July 2nd which is a Tuesday and here in Ontario, everyday a 3D movie ticket is $14 but on Tuesdays it's only 10 bucks for 3D. I'v never watched a movie opening night cuz I always wait for the Tuesdays but I'm really stoked to see FFH now. I was always excited for it but now I can't wait to see what opening night feels like. 

I am excited to see the new movie, it just doesn't seem like its gonna be a masterpiece, but that doesn't matter to me. I'm just going to go with my family and have a good time with them. That's what matters most to me, sharing something with my family