How do you keep your figures from falling?

Alex169

For starters, I don't use a shelf.  They're on top of an Ikea box/table thing with a pretty side surface, so that if they fall, they won't fall very far.  They are also posed very carefully so as to make falling very difficult, even with a knock. 
It's not something I've done, but what Hasbro does with their protos is cut clear acrylic bean-shaped stands and then they hot glue the figures to these.  Seems to work very well.  Something that I have had a good deal of luck with myself, although it is not 100% fool proof, is something called museum gel that I bought at the Container Store.  Put a tiny blob of that on a figure.s foot and then stick it to a smooth glass or plastic surface like a shelf in a detolf cabinet.  Works pretty well for quite a while.  I know there are stands that fit those pegholes on the feet, too, but I don't use them.

6 hours ago, DailyVO said:

Are you opposed to adhering the figures to the shelf? If not, you could use something like thumb tack (or my personal favorite, 3m strips, the come off clean without damaging the paint on the figure or the shelf!)

I use thumb tacks for my wall, but they won't stick to my shelf. 

What type of strips do you use?

4 hours ago, 80sboy4 said:

What I use is figure stands when possible, it helps keep the figures stable and you can even get them in some decent poses as well, also I wouldn't put to many figures on a shelf, the weight could also be an issue.

That's probably a big problem for me, I have around 32 figures on the shelf and majority are on the top.

5 hours ago, Satam said:

For starters, I don't use a shelf.  They're on top of an Ikea box/table thing with a pretty side surface, so that if they fall, they won't fall very far.  They are also posed very carefully so as to make falling very difficult, even with a knock. 
It's not something I've done, but what Hasbro does with their protos is cut clear acrylic bean-shaped stands and then they hot glue the figures to these.  Seems to work very well.  Something that I have had a good deal of luck with myself, although it is not 100% fool proof, is something called museum gel that I bought at the Container Store.  Put a tiny blob of that on a figure.s foot and then stick it to a smooth glass or plastic surface like a shelf in a detolf cabinet.  Works pretty well for quite a while.  I know there are stands that fit those pegholes on the feet, too, but I don't use them.

I may have to try some, I've also heard blu tack is good for standing figures.

• 2 weeks later...

20190711_221812.thumb.jpg.4cce260b7f0a42b4ee6889a27cb37658.jpg20190711_221737.thumb.jpg.1a46766950230a5656691566ffd8d59d.jpgI make my own stands out of pvc tubing and cheap plastic coat hangers for the post. I cut the tubing about 3/8 in. wide pieces. Drill a small hole in one side of each and cut the other side open so it can go around the waist of your figure. Then I cut the plastic hangers to what ever length needed for each figure and attach the pvc with a small wood screw. I make wood steps to fit each self out of 2 by 4. Drill holes the same diameter as the plastic hanger where you want to place your figures. Its some work but it is a whole lot cheaper then buying the stands that are out there and your figures will stay put. The nice thing about the pvc tubing is it comes in different sizes to accommodate all sizes of figures.   

20190711_221818.jpg

20190711_221905.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

those are cool! I wonder though if they are a bit on the narrow side? they might still fall over, but I don't know

6 hours ago, michiganjfrog said:

those are cool! I wonder though if they are a bit on the narrow side? they might still fall over, but I don't know

I'm thinking of buying some and finding out.

but Actually me and my buddy are planning on going in on a 3D printer so we can start making our own ML stands, because god forbid we don't have dedicated ML stands by now, so I want to start producing them.