Hasbro vs ToyBiz

Scarecrow1

2 minutes ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

The Toybiz Nightcrawler will probably never be unseated, even though the new Hasbro version does look absolutely fantastic. The level of articulation the TB one has while not looking totally goofy like so many other TB releases is a big reason why I feel this way. I also really love the portrait on the TB Nightcrawler. 

Does the new Hasbro one have a bendi wire on the tail because then in my opinion it would be onpar with the ToyBiz one 

Just now, Spideyperson333 said:

Does the new Hasbro one have a bendi wire on the tail because then in my opinion it would be onpar with the ToyBiz one 

I couldn't say with any certainty, though I don't think it has a bendy tail. That seems to be something Hasbro doesn't worry too much about. I think Scorpion might be the first release (at least off the top) that has a bendy appendage. 

1 hour ago, Spideyperson333 said:

The new Nightcrawler's tail spins, but it doesn't have bendy wire. The official line is that his tail is too thin for bendy wire to have been safe for kids, whereas Scorpion's tail is really thick, and presumably safer.

4 hours ago, michiganjfrog said:

I have a toy biz wolverine that I still feel likes its the best

Is it the right height, though? I always got the impression Toy Biz Wolverines were way too tall, but maybe that was just the early Hasbro ones.

17 minutes ago, Benn said:

The new Nightcrawler's tail spins, but it doesn't have bendy wire. The official line is that his tail is too thin for bendy wire to have been safe for kids, whereas Scorpion's tail is really thick, and presumably safer.

Is it the right height, though? I always got the impression Toy Biz Wolverines were way too tall, but maybe that was just the early Hasbro ones.

yea its pretty short. I forgot what he came with..i think it was the xmen classics and he came with a car or a motorcycle, ive seen a lot of wolvies over the years and that one is still my fav

I am not a Toybiz ML fan, and never was, I never loved the sculpting, the overall aesthetics never did it for me, the paint aps, I always found them too look rather goofy even in the best of times, with that in mind, I never collected Toy Biz legends (I collected Selects).

But there have been some pretty good Toybiz Legends in the past, a few that I really liked and think so far has not been matched by or just matched by Hasbro are the following

Abomination

Hasbro's is amazing, but something about this extremely classic Abomination was amazing, still holds up, the Select however is still the Best hands down Abomination

Man-Thing

almost perfect and actually passed on the BAF one because I thought it was still a better Man-Thing, I however think the Hasbro one is just a bit better mainly because of size, but the Toybiz version is still really great

Dr. Strange

it's safe to say this classic Strange is way cooler then the Legend comic version we currently have, if they fix that and give us classic I'm sure this won't be the case

Thor (Giant-Man BAF)

this really is still a great classic Thor, and holds up really well, but with the new one coming out, I think it's getting knocked out of this list, but for years this was like the best representation we had of classic Thor for legends

Beta Ray Bill

Awesome figure and still is, the new Hasbro legend is having a tough time competing with this guy, he's just the right  costume, he had nice articulation and was just a super nice representation of the character and still is

thats all I can think of off the top of my head

Abomination

-The sculpt, paint, and proportions are just better.  It even looks better with the various Hulk's we've gotten and the color is a nice olive green, which is much closer to the source material than either Hasbro BAF.

Rhino

-The scale on the Hasbro BAF is terrible, you can tell right away it was meant for Abomination, but that they released Rhino first.  He's too large, too wide, and don't get me started on that drugged out classic head sculpt.  

Kingpin

-Not sure I can say this definitively, but I have felt from the moment I put him together that even though I love the sculpting on the Hasbro BAF, he's just too big to be in scale.  So I still have the ToyBiz release, and I'm not sure which one I like best.  

Scorpion

-Same deal as Kingpin.  The ToyBiz Scorpion has better paint (classic, metallic release) and a better bulk to him.  But the Hasbro one has a better tail in my opinion.  Pretty torn, but will definitely keep both figures.

Spider-Man (McFarlane, Sinister Six, or Snap Shot)

-I know I mentioned this somewhere else, so I'll keep it brief, but the articulation on any of these blows the Hasbro stuff out of the water, and I mean it's Spider-Man, c'mon, if he can't do a full split without mods, or hit that classic crouch pose, he's just not good enough.  Plus the paint and sculpting is just better on all of these.

BAFs

-All of the larger BAFs don't need a re-do and are perfect examples of the superior paint and sculpt that ToyBiz did on these larger figures.

Captain America

-Until I see that 80 years Cap, this is going here.  The Face-Off Cap is still the best Cap out there until a proper comparison can be done. 

Blackheart

-Amazing scale, and a bendy wire tail (even if it doesn't work that great), plus all the dedicated sculpting in the head and the bumps all over it give the figure an amazing texture.  I doubt Hasbro will ever even attempt this character, but even if they do, I don't think they can top ToyBiz on this one.

These are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head, Hasbro has done a lot of great work though and has replaced more of my ToyBiz collection than I ever thought they would back in 2012.

EDIT:

Lizard (Fearsome Foes Boxset)

-Can't believe I forgot this one.  The new BAF has grown on me a lot, but I can't call it the definitive Lizard with it's larger size, dinosaur-like head, and that tail.  For me the Fearsome Foes Lizard still nails a more classic look and has the proportions that I expect for Lizard in all his appearances through the 90s.  The tail isn't perfect, but I still find it more serviceable than the new BAF's tail.

1 hour ago, greenlucario said:

Abomination

-The sculpt, paint, and proportions are just better.  It even looks better with the various Hulk's we've gotten and the color is a nice olive green, which is much closer to the source material than either Hasbro BAF.

Rhino

-The scale on the Hasbro BAF is terrible, you can tell right away it was meant for Abomination, but that they released Rhino first.  He's too large, too wide, and don't get me started on that drugged out classic head sculpt.  

Kingpin

-Not sure I can say this definitively, but I have felt from the moment I put him together that even though I love the sculpting on the Hasbro BAF, he's just too big to be in scale.  So I still have the ToyBiz release, and I'm not sure which one I like best.  

Scorpion

-Same deal as Kingpin.  The ToyBiz Scorpion has better paint (classic, metallic release) and a better bulk to him.  But the Hasbro one has a better tail in my opinion.  Pretty torn, but will definitely keep both figures.

Spider-Man (McFarlane, Sinister Six, or Snap Shot)

-I know I mentioned this somewhere else, so I'll keep it brief, but the articulation on any of these blows the Hasbro stuff out of the water, and I mean it's Spider-Man, c'mon, if he can't do a full split without mods, or hit that classic crouch pose, he's just not good enough.  Plus the paint and sculpting is just better on all of these.

BAFs

-All of the larger BAFs don't need a re-do and are perfect examples of the superior paint and sculpt that ToyBiz did on these larger figures.

Captain America

-Until I see that 80 years Cap, this is going here.  The Face-Off Cap is still the best Cap out there until a proper comparison can be done. 

Blackheart

-Amazing scale, and a bendy wire tail (even if it doesn't work that great), plus all the dedicated sculpting in the head and the bumps all over it give the figure an amazing texture.  I doubt Hasbro will ever even attempt this character, but even if they do, I don't think they can top ToyBiz on this one.

These are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head, Hasbro has done a lot of great work though and has replaced more of my ToyBiz collection than I ever thought they would back in 2012.

That Face-Off Cap is pretty spectacular. I also prefer the Sinister Six multi-pack Rhino from Toybiz over the Hasbro BaF. Isn’t it larger, though? Regardless of size, I just think it looks better.

1 hour ago, greenlucario said:

Kingpin

Thank you!  Hasbro's Kingpin is easily 1/2" too big.

On 7/1/2019 at 2:34 PM, SolidSnakeEyes said:

That Face-Off Cap is pretty spectacular. I also prefer the Sinister Six multi-pack Rhino from Toybiz over the Hasbro BaF. Isn’t it larger, though? Regardless of size, I just think it looks better.

It's been a while since I've looked at them both, but if I remember correctly, the Fearsome Foes Rhino is just a little shorter and not as wide and squared off as the Hasbro BAF, either way, it definitely looks better imo.

On 7/1/2019 at 2:37 PM, Satam said:

Thank you!  Hasbro's Kingpin is easily 1/2" too big.

It wasn't obvious until I had Daredevil and Spidey posed around him, then it was really noticeable.  

21 hours ago, greenlucario said:

It wasn't obvious until I had Daredevil and Spidey posed around him, then it was really noticeable.  

I think it's pretty obvious with him posed near practically any other Legends figure.  It's kind of a shame, too, IMO, because by itself, it looks fantastic.  But seriously, how hard was it to say, "He shouldn't be taller than Omega Red or even Cable" during the design phase.  It's not like a 7 1/4" tall figure wouldn't be impressive, especially with Fisk's width, and it would scale down much closer to the height he's actually supposed to be and scale much better with pretty much every other figure in the line. 

On 7/3/2019 at 4:53 PM, Satam said:

I think it's pretty obvious with him posed near practically any other Legends figure.  It's kind of a shame, too, IMO, because by itself, it looks fantastic.  But seriously, how hard was it to say, "He shouldn't be taller than Omega Red or even Cable" during the design phase.  It's not like a 7 1/4" tall figure wouldn't be impressive, especially with Fisk's width, and it would scale down much closer to the height he's actually supposed to be and scale much better with pretty much every other figure in the line. 

Definitely a missed opportunity.

On 6/30/2019 at 6:46 PM, JohnnyHALO22 said:

Honesty, I’ve never liked the old toy biz stuff, throw dirt in my eye, but it never settled with me the skinny lanky posable figures, thought they where kinda ugly. Hasbro has done a great job, so has toybiz. I’d prefer hasbro over toybiz any day 

those ugly ball joints, the heavy handed dry brushing, HIDEOUS female sculpts, Toy Biz Legends have not aged well.

On 7/5/2019 at 12:01 PM, AnotherPunkChef said:

those ugly ball joints, the heavy handed dry brushing, HIDEOUS female sculpts, Toy Biz Legends have not aged well.

It’s funny, I prefer the ball joints. You don’t think the slice through the thigh is unattractive?

It feels a little awkward talking about the relative prettiness of a plastic toy. I agree some of the older TB female face sculpts were not so good. I think the TB Psylocke is good. Do you think Ms. Marvel and Phoenix were OK?

I just got the Polaris and Jubilee and they are nothing particularly special. They could be uglier I guess. Jubilee has some strong eyebrows. I don’t know. I think they are a wash.

Toybiz did have some bad bodies back in the day. Black Widow and Rogue had weird legs, but so did the old Beast.

12 minutes ago, Chunkylover said:

It’s funny, I prefer the ball joints. You don’t think the slice through the thigh is unattractive?

It feels a little awkward talking about the relative prettiness of a plastic toy. I agree some of the older TB female face sculpts were not so good. I think the TB Psylocke is good. Do you think Ms. Marvel and Phoenix were OK?

I just got the Polaris and Jubilee and they are nothing particularly special. They could be uglier I guess. Jubilee has some strong eyebrows. I don’t know. I think they are a wash.

Toybiz did have some bad bodies back in the day. Black Widow and Rogue had weird legs, but so did the old Beast.

I don't think the slice through thigh is unattractive most of the time. Some figures (which I can't really think of right now) I remember thinking "oh man, this is gonna look weird", but most of the time is ok. 

I agree on this point, what is pretty on a figure? That's why I don't buy that many comic figures anymore, most male figures use the same buck, and a lot of the female figures use the same face painted differently. On the other hand, most MCU figures are unique, so you can really judge how pretty or accurate the sculpt and paint is. 

I guess Hasbro's advantage is that it reuses their molds so much that most figures have a good body with good enough articulation.