Hasbro vs ToyBiz

Scarecrow1

On 7/12/2019 at 11:34 AM, Chunkylover said:

It’s funny, I prefer the ball joints. You don’t think the slice through the thigh is unattractive?

It feels a little awkward talking about the relative prettiness of a plastic toy. I agree some of the older TB female face sculpts were not so good. I think the TB Psylocke is good. Do you think Ms. Marvel and Phoenix were OK?

I just got the Polaris and Jubilee and they are nothing particularly special. They could be uglier I guess. Jubilee has some strong eyebrows. I don’t know. I think they are a wash.

Toybiz did have some bad bodies back in the day. Black Widow and Rogue had weird legs, but so did the old Beast.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference, not gonna say you're wrong for liking Toy Biz, I still respect them for paving the way. End of the day, we all love action figures, and that's the most important thing.

Great topic!

The Galactus, Sentinel and Modok BAFs are all still excellent figures, imo. As for the figures themselves:

TB Sasquatch: The snarling facial expression on the TB version alone tops the BaF version for me. I can't stand the dull, blank, placid expression on the recent BaF. While the TB version does indeed look kinda clunky now, the proportions are a better match for John Byrne's art style.

TB Hobgloblin and Green Goblin: the Head sculpts on both, as well as their respective Goblin gliders win out here hands down. They both look like they could have popped right out of the comics, and I especially like the way the TB Hobgoblin could hunch down and lurch forward on it's glider.

Beta Ray Bill, as mentioned here already

On 7/14/2019 at 3:39 AM, AnotherPunkChef said:

I guess it just comes down to personal preference, not gonna say you're wrong for liking Toy Biz, I still respect them for paving the way. End of the day, we all love action figures, and that's the most important thing.

Oh yeah, I agree that it’s all subjective , and all good. I just think it is funny how right I seem in my own opinion. 😆

I don’t know if I can answer this since finances prevent me from getting any duplicate figures.

I can’t imagine needing a new Wolverine beyond TB brown costume. Good size, good sculpt.

I tend to focus on X-Men figures. I think the Psylocke, Longshot, Deadpool are all perfect. I can’t imagine Hasbro improving Mojo, Bug-Onslaught. I think costs, not skill would inhibit improvement.

I don’t think they improved Mr. Sinister, based on the photos. The old Absorbing Man from the Hulk line (not the Fin Fang Foom line) can’t be improved. Maybe stripy pants.

I’m really glad Hasbro is giving new collectors a chance at iconic characters, but I’m most excited for the new offerings.

• 3 months later...

Toybiz Dr Strange was much more comic accurate, but the crippling flaw is the cloak- while its accurate, the way they designed it impedes too much of the figure's articulation. Hasbro's version fixed that, but he needs his original blue tunic, instead of the black form fitting  "superhero" top.

Toybiz Thor was up till now, pretty much perfection....the one thing I didn't like was how the cape has that massive plug to the back. But, I prefer the brighter red for his cape and wrist bands, the brighter yellow for the boot straps. The Hasbro version is bigger and is easier to pose, so it wins for me. But only just!

Overall Hasbro's versions are better, as they should be. Better techniques, better molds, better attention to detail for the characters ( Wolverine cant be 6" if the Sub-Mariner, Captain America, etc are 6"; they've got him an appropriate size now) make for better products. And Hasbro by far does female figures better than Toybiz (that Scarlet Witch they did was an abomination, face it).

I'm only including figs released by both companies:

Vulture

The toybiz one is nearly perfect, the Hasbro only has the modern articulation that's better. The wings on the old version has the great feather texture. Hasbro one looks flat

Rhino

Really disliked the BAF. Stumpy legs, horrible headsculpts. The fearsome foes version done the 4 Horseman is still unmatched.

Sentinel

The BAF Sentinel is still the best ML fig ever released so far IMO

Lizard

Similar to Rhino. BAF is too big and dinosaur like. Fearsome Foes one looks great

Abomination

Same stumpy legs as Rhino, should be bigger