Marvel Legends 6" X-Men Vintage Wave 90's Iceman Figure Video Review And Images

JayC

Im liking how this figure looks though like almost everyone else I wish he came with a pair of open hands but seeing this figure is in the "vintage" wave I kind of knew this wasnt going to happen, hopefuly like @JayC said in his review they reissue this figure without the belt and alternate hands in a Spiderman & Friends 3 Pack (Ive heard before that firestar is a "complicated" figure to make because she is technically a mutant and it seems like in their contract or something she could only be released in a X-Men related Wave but she is more familiar with Spiderman and taking the spot of another mutant in an X-Men wave hasnt been well recieved by hasbro's planning, but hopefully this way we can get a three pack with her, Peter and Bobby sometime soon, im sure it'd be a well recieved pack)

Looks awesome as I had suspected, but something I didn't notice until now is well... I am kinda on the fence about that head sculpt is it just me or is his forehead and top and back of his head sorta of well extra large and a tad bit awkward looking? , the profile shot really made me feel this way. I will still be no doubt getting this figure (it's the best Ice Man we have gotten yet), but thought i'd mention that

I like this figure a lot and I agree we needed to get a better slide out of this since the figure didn’t have much anyways but what can you do? Anyways I do think he looks good but maybe we should get more of a snow effect on him but it would require new sculpting and I know they won’t do that, also would love to get a Bobby drake version of him

8 hours ago, abnuggler said:

Im liking how this figure looks though like almost everyone else I wish he came with a pair of open hands but seeing this figure is in the "vintage" wave I kind of knew this wasnt going to happen, hopefuly like @JayC said in his review they reissue this figure without the belt and alternate hands in a Spiderman & Friends 3 Pack (Ive heard before that firestar is a "complicated" figure to make because she is technically a mutant and it seems like in their contract or something she could only be released in a X-Men related Wave but she is more familiar with Spiderman and taking the spot of another mutant in an X-Men wave hasnt been well recieved by hasbro's planning, but hopefully this way we can get a three pack with her, Peter and Bobby sometime soon, im sure it'd be a well recieved pack)

Yeah if that contract thing exists it obviously doesn't apply to multi packs, given the Hulk/Wolvie pack.

Anyway, this Iceman is already preordered for me but I can't help but suspect it won't be too long before we get another release, probably with a more "blocky" headsculpt, alternate hands, and maybe even better FX pieces (or at least the same one).  Probably, as mentioned above, in an 80th/10th style multipack with Spidey and Firestar.

If TRU was still around I'd be expecting a classic X-Factor 5 pack but there doesn't seem to be any real outlet for something like that (MAYBE Amazon?  But I don't think the "new" TRU is going to be in the exclusives business for a while if it survives).

This fig is much needed but its got some serious flaws for being so basic. Obviously best Iceman we ve got, I wasnt a fan of the spiky one we got with the jugg wave. The overall translucency and pearlescent ice look is pretty great. But this ice effect.... id much rather have a second set of open hands than a glob of miscolored ice as an accessory. And the head is leaving much to be desired. They gave him that blocky ass jaw and it feels like his eyes are too close together. It feels very phoned in for what little is new with this fig. Needless to say even with all the gripes, hes a necessity to my xmen and capcom set ups. 

7 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

Yeah if that contract thing exists it obviously doesn't apply to multi packs, given the Hulk/Wolvie pack.

Anyway, this Iceman is already preordered for me but I can't help but suspect it won't be too long before we get another release, probably with a more "blocky" headsculpt, alternate hands, and maybe even better FX pieces (or at least the same one).  Probably, as mentioned above, in an 80th/10th style multipack with Spidey and Firestar.

If TRU was still around I'd be expecting a classic X-Factor 5 pack but there doesn't seem to be any real outlet for something like that (MAYBE Amazon?  But I don't think the "new" TRU is going to be in the exclusives business for a while if it survives).

Im not certain on the contract though I do remember Dwight talking about why even though many have asked for Firestar she is a tricky figure to make due to the fact that she is a mutant (I dont know if its legal stuff in the contract with Marvel where mutants "must" be in X-Men related waves or if its more of the fact that since she is a mutant the people at hasbro want to put her in an X-Men wave rather than a spiderman or avengers wave and they dont find her that important compared to other mutant characters to take a spot in the wave) either way, a 3 pack with spidey and iceman would be a good way to circumvent that an finally get a firestar figure without her having to take the spot from another more "important or more known" character in a regular wave.

Iceman im sure we'll see him eventually re-released with minor changes, same goes for storm (I wouldnt put it past hasbro to re-release storm just repainting her suit in silver or black)

1 minute ago, abnuggler said:

Im not certain on the contract though I do remember Dwight talking about why even though many have asked for Firestar she is a tricky figure to make due to the fact that she is a mutant (I dont know if its legal stuff in the contract with Marvel where mutants "must" be in X-Men related waves or if its more of the fact that since she is a mutant the people at hasbro want to put her in an X-Men wave rather than a spiderman or avengers wave and they dont find her that important compared to other mutant characters to take a spot in the wave) either way, a 3 pack with spidey and iceman would be a good way to circumvent that an finally get a firestar figure without her having to take the spot from another more "important or more known" character in a regular wave.

Iceman im sure we'll see him eventually re-released with minor changes, same goes for storm (I wouldnt put it past hasbro to re-release storm just repainting her suit in silver or black)

It was most likely a result of the X-embargo that was placed during the period where Perlmutter was trying to sabotage the X-Men movies. I know for sure that prior to that period, we'd seen X-Men and mutant characters in non-X-Men-themed waves, and vice versa (IE, Daken and Fantomex were in the Zola wave, Wolverine and Archangel were in the Hit-Monkey wave, and even back when ToyBiz had the license, you had stuff like Spider-Man and Black Panther in the Sentinel wave with Cyclops, Angel, Mr. Sinister and Mystique).

Now that Disney has purchased Fox, I wonder if we may see this "rule" be done away with.

4 hours ago, watanabefan said:

It was most likely a result of the X-embargo that was placed during the period where Perlmutter was trying to sabotage the X-Men movies. I know for sure that prior to that period, we'd seen X-Men and mutant characters in non-X-Men-themed waves, and vice versa (IE, Daken and Fantomex were in the Zola wave, Wolverine and Archangel were in the Hit-Monkey wave, and even back when ToyBiz had the license, you had stuff like Spider-Man and Black Panther in the Sentinel wave with Cyclops, Angel, Mr. Sinister and Mystique).

Now that Disney has purchased Fox, I wonder if we may see this "rule" be done away with.

I think its more in the line of that when they started making figure waves dedicated to "specific" sets of characters was when this came to play, the figures you mentioned were all released in waves that were just overall marvel legends waves, its when hasbro decided to separate the characters in specific waves when this policy came to play (I believe this started with the Mandroid Capt. America Wave and the Ultimate Green Goblin Spiderman Wave) this is when they separated the Spiderman characters into their own waves, Cap/Ironman/etc.. into the Avengers waves, Mutants into the X-Men Waves, and a special waves like the marvel knights one (Manthing baf wave). I feel it has more to do with the fact that since hasbro separated the characters into these lines the whole Firestar debacle (Im sure other characters also come into this problem) came to be where even though she is more known to be a Spiderman Ally or Avengers Characters since she is a Mutant she had to be put in the X-Men Waves (and since they were only doing 1 wave per year they felt other characters would sell better than her thus she wasnt a priority) with the Fox purchase we have seen X-men waves come to 2-3 waves per year so if this thinking of her necesarily having to be part of an X wave is still in effect having many waves means the chance of her being included in a future X wave are now bigger, if not thats where the 3 pack could be a very good choise for this figure to go arround the whole "Mutants have to be in a X-Men related wave" deal.
Another reason why whe migh have not gotten her yet is because she hasnt been that relevant in comics lately (in reallity the Spiderman & Friends Cartoon is what most people primarily know her for, so hasbro might not think she is that relevant of a character to warrant a figure right now and they might think it will most likely become a certain peg-warmer). Hopefully this changes soon cause I for one feel she is a needed figure (Im willing to bet many ML collectors feel the same way)

Solid review, thank you: the whole wave of these are great & I pre-ordered the wave on day one, and rubbing hands in anticipation. 

He's not perfect, but there's no huge or glaring issues/problems here, so Hasbro's batting average on X-Men based Marvel Legends is still superb.

I think it's a shame that the BAF-less retro wave is so much better than the X-Force [Wendigo BAF] wave, and can't help thinking that the retro wave should have been 8 figs:

Silver Samurai, Storm, Iceman, Dazzler, Nightcrawler, X-Factor Cyclops, Mr Sinister & John Buscemi Logan.

The thing is that ALL of the figures above - with the exception of Logan - were actually released by Toy Biz (well, Storm was in her early 1990's black costume, but close enough).

An amended - and more consistent - 6 figure X-Force wave could then run with:  X-Force Wolverine, Boom Boom, Cannonball (with legs, goddamnit), Thunderbird II (James Proudstar) and either Sunspot or Rictor and Feral or Syrin. 

Guardian could then be pulled for a bespoke Alpha Flight wave, or an AF-themed three-pack. Basically, pick your figures there...one can dream.

Love the idea of an Amazing Friends 3-pack too (that's surely a no brainer, what with Hasbro's love for repacking at least 4 Spider-Man figures per year), This MUST have a 'block of ice' accessory for Bobby, though. You know, that thing Iceman seals himself into for no apparent reason before using his powers. Alternatively, I wouldn't sniff at a New Defenders (1980's version) 3-pack either: two easy partial repaints of Iceman & Angel (red & white costume, w/halo) and an easy redeco: Beast (new head, hands) or Valkyrie (I) (new head, torso).