The Figures You Regret Buying...

Lord_Scareglow

I know alot of us collectors usually don't have "regrets" that we bought, but I know there must be some, most of us are either completists or don't make the mistake of buying something they don't trully love (I am not a completist and cherry pick figs) since we are so content with the new figs often, but I'm sure in the past this has happened, we have so many threads about our favorites or the figures that got away, so what are the figures you just wish you didn't add to your collection? (and maybe they are gone already) 

Mine would have to be Quantum Suit Cap, I absolutely cannot stand seeing this in my collection, the suit isn't screen accurate, the head sculpt big and clunky, and also not accurate to the screen, overall bad figure, I bought it on a wim soley because it was there to buy and I thought perfect I'm going to put my Ant-Man 10th Anniversary unmasked Rudd head on it, turned out that head didn't fit, and now this figure nobody wants, and is on sale, I payed full price and it's just corrupting the beauty of my collection, I've tried multi heads on it to curb my hate, but no luck

Very good question indeed, ironically the figure I'd likely regret buying was White Tiger, so while the figure itself was kinda ok i still felt like i could had bought another figure i would had love which by the time there truly wasn't any because there was only a pile of pegwarmers like Misty Knight, Speed Demon or Jack O'lantern to say the least, worst part i really wasn't that familiar with the character and even though i tend to like some figures by their design or because they're characters i like, this one isn't that special for me :(.

I'm definitely a completionist, but the hardest for me to bring myself to buy were: Gladiator, Lady Deadpool, Paladin, underwear Deadpool, Weapon X, and X-Men Deadpool. And they're mostly all fine. They just scraped the bottom of the Deadpool barrel a little hard there, and I don't care at all about that one moment in Wolverine history where he got his adamantium. Hell, I would've preferred a Fatal Attractions Wolverine with the adamantium literally in mid-exit from his body. I'm not familiar with Paladin as a character, and Gladiator (or really any of the Imperial Guard) just never did much for me, either visually or as a character.

Most of my  minor regrets stem from 

1. Buying figures just to complete a BAF (Lady Deadpool and X-pool from the Sauron wave come to mind)
  2. Buying figures in a less preferred costume who are then made in a more preferred costume (Colossus comes to mind)
  3. Toybiz and other older figures i bought on ebay when i first started collecting and wasn't as focused on how figures looked posed together (toybiz Iron Fist comes to mind - he just looks weird posed next to modern ML figures with his various ball joints). This is more true of my DC collection which is a real mish-mash of figures from different lines, often with somewhat different scales and aesthetics.

Now that I'm mostly cherry picking from  waves  and being more discriminating about what costume a figure is wearing (for example, skipping Infamous Iron Man and Emma Frost), I don't find i have as many figures I wish i had passed on buying. 

• Marvel Legends Silver Surfer Walmart Exclusive (Re-issue of TB Series 7 without the magnets)
  • Taskmaster (Toybiz from Riders series). Awful figure, I regret it because I only could get a limited amount of ML back then and I chose this over the Hulkbuster.
  • Silver Surfer from Ronin series. Awful choice to try to replace my TB one with magnets.
  • First Appearance Captain America from Brood series. I bought this at a comic book store at a higher price... What was I thinking. If I would have paid regular MSRP price then probably it would have been better, but to pay extra for this figure? No Way.
  • Nemesis Wave Daredevil... Another failed attempt to substitute my Daredevil from the Spiderman classics line...
  • Buying a second Hawkeye from the Odin wave... The figure was good, but not that good.
  • Newest Iron Man from the Infinity War wave. The proportions are awful. Cannot believe I paid full MSRP.
  • Finally, Ghost Rider from the recent riders wave. 

I have a lot of figures I regret buying. I eventually get rid of them.

24 minutes ago, michiganjfrog said:

i regret that wave too but I was all hyped for the movie lol

Yeah, what a bad wave. I didn’t pull the trigger on a single figure from that wave until I saw the movie (which I saw weeks late). The entire team was remade in such better form for the GOTG2 wave and now I can’t give away the old versions. I’d have to say that was my big regret, or maybe the bulk of the Hulk Buster wave. 

This has inspired a new but similar question: what’s the worst wave of ML figures? Is there a thread posing that question? Maybe there should be one if there ain’t. 

3 hours ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

This has inspired a new but similar question: what’s the worst wave of ML figures? Is there a thread posing that question? Maybe there should be one if there ain’t. 

I know for a fact in recent there has been a "wave above all" thread which was basically people's thoughts on the best wave, but seems in no recent times at least has there been a "worst wave" legends thread, you should make it

5 hours ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

Yeah, what a bad wave. I didn’t pull the trigger on a single figure from that wave until I saw the movie (which I saw weeks late). The entire team was remade in such better form for the GOTG2 wave and now I can’t give away the old versions. I’d have to say that was my big regret, or maybe the bulk of the Hulk Buster wave. 

The Kingpin BAF wave, don't want a single one of those figures, but I NEED that Kingpin, so I gotta drop a hundo on eBay...

11 hours ago, americamgl said:
  • Marvel Legends Silver Surfer Walmart Exclusive (Re-issue of TB Series 7 without the magnets)
  • Taskmaster (Toybiz from Riders series). Awful figure, I regret it because I only could get a limited amount of ML back then and I chose this over the Hulkbuster.
  • Silver Surfer from Ronin series. Awful choice to try to replace my TB one with magnets.
  • First Appearance Captain America from Brood series. I bought this at a comic book store at a higher price... What was I thinking. If I would have paid regular MSRP price then probably it would have been better, but to pay extra for this figure? No Way.
  • Nemesis Wave Daredevil... Another failed attempt to substitute my Daredevil from the Spiderman classics line...
  • Buying a second Hawkeye from the Odin wave... The figure was good, but not that good.
  • Newest Iron Man from the Infinity War wave. The proportions are awful. Cannot believe I paid full MSRP.

Didn't know about that Daredevil, just looked it up, good GOD am I happy I missed that figure...

On 7/7/2019 at 3:11 PM, americamgl said:

That silver surfer from the Ronin series was indeed awful!

I hate when I buy a figure and a repainted, superior version of the same mold comes.

Venom

Carnage

(Vintage) Wolverine

MCU Scarlet Witch

MCU Hulkbuster

Thanos, Infinity War Thanos, and Doctor Strange

I am so glad I never tracked down the figures to complete Groot, Ultron, and Juggernaut.

I have superior versions of two of them, and soon will have the better Juggernaut

Pretty much every comic based figure I have to buy to build an MCU BaF. ATM for Marvel I only collect MCU and X-Men, so building MCU BaFs with comic characters I don't want has me cherrypicking the X-Men that I really want. I know I'm a minority, but the MCU figures have shelf priority at my place.