The Figures You Regret Buying...

Lord_Scareglow

Well, I was going to say that I regretted getting the Hobgoblin wave Daredevil. I paid 60$ total to get him off ebay, but then just last Christmas, the Defenders set went down to just 30$ on Amazon Canada, and I promptly snapped it up. I like the Defenders DD colour-scheme a big better, so it was bittersweet. But then I just found out that my Hobgoblin wave DD can do this (the other can't quite get the same angle), so I'm good, lol:

IMG_2645.JPG

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:38 PM, mars396 said:

I hate when I buy a figure and a repainted, superior version of the same mold comes.

Venom

Carnage

(Vintage) Wolverine

MCU Scarlet Witch

MCU Hulkbuster

Thanos, Infinity War Thanos, and Doctor Strange

I am so glad I never tracked down the figures to complete Groot, Ultron, and Juggernaut.

I have superior versions of two of them, and soon will have the better Juggernaut

yea that bugs me too..like the ulton re release was much better than the BAF one 

On 7/6/2019 at 11:18 PM, bashpics99 said:

Most of my  minor regrets stem from 

1. Buying figures just to complete a BAF (Lady Deadpool and X-pool from the Sauron wave come to mind)
  2. Buying figures in a less preferred costume who are then made in a more preferred costume (Colossus comes to mind)
  3. Toybiz and other older figures i bought on ebay when i first started collecting and wasn't as focused on how figures looked posed together (toybiz Iron Fist comes to mind - he just looks weird posed next to modern ML figures with his various ball joints). This is more true of my DC collection which is a real mish-mash of figures from different lines, often with somewhat different scales and aesthetics.

Now that I'm mostly cherry picking from  waves  and being more discriminating about what costume a figure is wearing (for example, skipping Infamous Iron Man and Emma Frost), I don't find i have as many figures I wish i had passed on buying. 

I totally relate to 1. and 2.. I would only like half of the wave and buy the rest of them only for the BAF.

And two/three packs... you get one new and one/two completely the same with maybe a different head or accessories.

Same as you, now I try to discipline myself that less is more.

I just go to Ebay and overpay the missing BAF part or get only the one figure I like form the two pack.

But there are some figures I was thinking I really wanted them, and once I had them in my hand I kinda felt not regret but disappointed (MCU Spider-man Infinity war and FFH come to mind).

4 hours ago, Air-Walker said:

Well, I was going to say that I regretted getting the Hobgoblin wave Daredevil. I paid 60$ total to get him off ebay, but then just last Christmas, the Defenders set went down to just 30$ on Amazon Canada, and I promptly snapped it up. I like the Defenders DD colour-scheme a big better, so it was bittersweet. But then I just found out that my Hobgoblin wave DD can do this (the other can't quite get the same angle), so I'm good, lol:

IMG_2645.JPG

im thinking of trying a boot swap with my daredevil, using the boots from the recent black DD figure

16 hours ago, Darth_Primus said:

Not really a regret, but I hate buying two packs sometimes because I'm buying a slightly different version of a figure that I already bought, like Killmonger.

Like other, I regret having to buy obscure characters to complete a BAF.   Which is why I have yet to complete the armor version of the Endgame Thanos.

Yeah that's how i felt about buying the Ragnarok 2-pack with Valykrie and the GotG vol 2 2-pack with Ego.  Seeing those 2 set in particular later on for a much reduced price has made me much more cautious about buying 2-packs, sure some end up being sold old but most end up being marked down quite a bit altho it can take awhile.

I suspect a lot of those Endgame wave 1 figs will continue to drop in price.  None of the comic figures seem to be moving  quickly except maybe Herc (altho i see him around too)... surprisingly, citizen V is the one i seem to run across the least.   Of course, what are the odds Hasbro repeats last year's situation where they re-released a BAF as part of a set, what, 6 months later?

7 hours ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

I regret Marvel Now Dr. Strange from the MCU Dr. Strange wave. The only comic version of that character I care about is the classic costume. 

I don't mind that figure too much since hasbro hasn't bothered to make a classic strange in the years since the movie was released... and i find that with the old toybiz classic version, his cloak just hinders his poseability way too much.

However, if i had bought the Hulkbuster wave Strange, only to see the same figure released like a year later  WITH a cloak, i'd be pretty annoyed.

And tbh i do miss the days when hasbro would include comic versions of the character within the movie waves.  Seems like Ragnarok was the last wave that happened, although you could quibble about Genis-vell in the Captain Marvel movie wave.  It seems like now Hasbro is worried that having comic versions of the characters will confuse customers looking for the mcu version, or something.

6 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

I don't mind that figure too much since hasbro hasn't bothered to make a classic strange in the years since the movie was released... and i find that with the old toybiz classic version, his cloak just hinders his poseability way too much.

However, if i had bought the Hulkbuster wave Strange, only to see the same figure released like a year later  WITH a cloak, i'd be pretty annoyed.

And tbh i do miss the days when hasbro would include comic versions of the character within the movie waves.  Seems like Ragnarok was the last wave that happened, although you could quibble about Genis-vell in the Captain Marvel movie wave.  It seems like now Hasbro is worried that having comic versions of the characters will confuse customers looking for the mcu version, or something.

Yeah, the TB Strange is nigh impossible to lose because of that cumbersome cape; the legs aren’t sturdy enough to keep the figure balanced against it. That complaint aside, it’s still the best *looking* comic Strange I think we’ve received.

I think you’re onto something about Hasbro not releasing comic versions of characters that have MCU representation in the same wave. I hadn’t really paid much attention to it until recently, but it doesn’t happen anymore and it used to be a norm. I’m sure it has something to do with Disney’s desire to maintain customer/buyer focus on the MCU properties. 

-Infinity War Thanos BAF (original, not 10 Years)

-All the Deadpools and Wolverine from the Sauron Wave, and any other figures bought just for the BAF piece.

-Nighthawk

-Any of the old ToyBiz figures I missed out on.  I bought a lot of them like Juggernaut, Phoenix, Scarlet Witch, etc. between the dark days and the Infinite line, would have been better to just wait it out, since all of them saw much better figures released under Hasbro.

-Any of the billion or so MCU Iron Men and Caps before the 10 years line, especially Infinity War Cap.

57 minutes ago, greenlucario said:

-Infinity War Thanos BAF (original, not 10 Years)

-All the Deadpools and Wolverine from the Sauron Wave, and any other figures bought just for the BAF piece.

-Nighthawk

-Any of the old ToyBiz figures I missed out on.  I bought a lot of them like Juggernaut, Phoenix, Scarlet Witch, etc. between the dark days and the Infinite line, would have been better to just wait it out, since all of them saw much better figures released under Hasbro.

-Any of the billion or so MCU Iron Men and Caps before the 10 years line, especially Infinity War Cap.

Nighthawk for me too. I sold him and Citizen V loose immediately after taking the BaF pieces. 

I do plan to get a Nighthawk at some point just to pose with his fellow Defenders.  But with the crazy release Hasbro's been engaging in,  I've mostly been sticking to getting my 2-3  "must-have" figures from each wave (of course this means i'm not really completing any BAFs right now).   I'm kinda surprised that i haven't seen huge "pegwarmer pile-ups" at stores from all these waves.   i guess stores are ordering more conservatively or are just clearancing waves more quickly.   

Then again, i wouldn't be surprised to see new cases of these waves put out 6 months or a year from now,  like we saw IW wave 2 and SP//Dr and Warlock waves all resurface months after they 1st showed up in stores. But so far things seem to be working out reasonably well.

Back on topic, forgot to mention in my prior posts that there are definitely some 2-packs that i don't necessarily regret getting so much as regret not waiting longer to get them. It always drives me crazy when i pay full price for a 2-pack only to see it 1/2 off later.  The Ragnarok 2-pack with Valkyrie and the GotG  2-pack with Ego come to mind.  I'm happy to have Ego and Val figures (especially since they were never re-released) but wish i had been more patient and saved myself some $$.    Lesson learned: only pay full price for a 2-pack if you really both character in it and are worried it will sell out (like the homecoming 2-pack) .. otherwise wait for a price markdown.... even if it means i miss out once in a while.

23 hours ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

Nighthawk for me too. I sold him and Citizen V loose immediately after taking the BaF pieces. 

I might have to do that.  Citizen V wasn't as disappointing to me, but I agree, both were bought for BAF pieces only.

• 2 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:16 AM, mako said:

Once again, when the question of regrets comes up, I go back to my Konmari. "If it doesn't bring you joy, get rid of it."

The very words I live by. If it isn't getting my attention or has some other complication, I don't even buy it. Kingpin was a great BAF but I couldn't stomach most of those other figures and so, I didn't complete him. The quantum figures are blah, but I don't exactly regret getting Black Widow. Regrets are now reserved for the old toybiz figures....stacked up against today's, many look quite pitiful (Scarlet Witch they just did you WRONG, girl) but given the time and way cheaper price....you see where I'm going.

I don't really regret buying any of my figures. I sometimes regret buying when I did because the sometimes (rarely) get marked down and I see I could have saved some money if I had waited or buying a figure that ends up being the easy figure to get and missing a harder one.

There are quite a few I regret not buying when I saw them but didn't.

The closest thing to really regretting buying a figure comes from that. I bought Hobgoblin wave Daredevil because I didn't have one yet and passed on both pizza Spidey and Comic Thanos wave Hulk. I've never seen either of those figures in the wild again.

On 9/20/2019 at 8:47 AM, Starlord67 said:

I regretted buying the figures to make the "STAR TIGER" BAF (I forger his name) I just thought he looked lame and sold him off. I don't regret selling him a bit. 

Yeah "Titus" was an oddball choice. He was one BAF for me I build by "accident" as I wanted all the characters in the wave so whoops... looks like I got me a Star Tiger.

No regerts (wink) but I do regret not getting some characters in preferred looks. Not really my fault but I guess I have a guilty conscious. 

6 hours ago, Batbishop said:

Stuff like that seems to happen a lot with hasbro.

this is true but it gives me hope that a character will be done in a costume i prefer some day. it hurts the wallet but it can be neat to display certain characters in his/her many looks...

many that i had purchased and bought again in better (in my opinion) costumes. 

Ghost Rider, Hawkeye, Wasp, Spider-Woman, Wolverine (many times), just to name a few