The Weakest Waves.

SolidSnakeEyes

It’s all in the title, folks. Some recent topics got me thinking not just about which ML figures I find to be the weakest, but which waves as a whole did I find to be outright weak. First to mind comes the Netflix / Man Thing BaF wave, because of the rather mundane character designs and the lingering bad taste that wave left as it haunted pegs for months, and months. I also personally didn’t care for the BaF and sold it the day I completed it. 

So, what are your thoughts on what might be the weakest wave or waves in the history of Marvel Legends and why? Toybiz and Hasbro have both sinned, so let’s do a little venting. Feel free to rip into individual figures as well, or even box sets and exclusives. The only thing to remember is to not let it become an MCU vs Comic debate.

First to mind is the Titus wave, since I only got Drax and Yondu and didn't care about anyone else. Liked darkhawk but haven't gotten it. 

Second is the Infinity War Thanos wave. The BAF was wrong, and most figures were either mediocre, incomplete, or underwhelming. No accesories Iron Man, scared face Cap, no legs or interchangeable hands for spidey, wrong face on Proxima Midnight, don't care about the Serpent Society, Task Master or Songbird... (those last three, the argument could be made that at least they look interesting)

I don't really pay much attention to non-X waves or pre-Infinite waves, but--of the stuff I collect--the Sauron and Warlock waves were the weakest. I like both BAFs a lot, but a full 50% of the Sauron wave was figures I would've loved to pass on. The Warlock wave was just weird; full of characters I like, but mostly costumes I don't care for, and precious few characters I love.

these are what currently come to mind

I gotta say alot of waves are far from perfect but as of current (and thats only including from Infinite Series Onward) the worst wave had to have been the lazy lackluster Black Panther wave 2, what a weak wave. 2 Black Panthers.. both we didn't need , one being one we basically just got a few months earlier, another Okoye basicalliy , and 3rd Black Panther whom was just wearing a dress , a drunk dude in a suit who fell on his face, and the only good figure in the wave Killmonger who could easily be a pass for most, plus really uninventive BAF that wasn't even warranting a BAF position

another close runner up was Captain Marvel wave, over saturated with Captain Marvels, a boring young suit Nick Fury, terrible Yon-Rogg, a Skrull nobody wanted (if it's not comic no thanks) , and a hideous and undersized BAF, however the wave did have Genis and GG whom I quite liked but not enough to warrant this being a good wave

Well, I have too many to list.  Let’s face it:  Hasbro started terribly, and I didn’t buy any Marvel Legends in between Toy Biz Face-Offs and Hasbro’s IronMan Legends (Iron Monger BaF) and Mandroid BaF wave (passing on Rocket and Puck waves completely)  

Interesting OT: I really wanted the Kingpin BaF, but haven’t been able to bring myself to buy a single figure from that wave.  No interest in any of them.

On the flipside of that, I am grabbing Far From Home figures like crazy, yet have no interest at all in the Molten Man.  

1 hour ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

these are what currently come to mind

I gotta say alot of waves are far from perfect but as of current (and thats only including from Infinite Series Onward) the worst wave had to have been the lazy lackluster Black Panther wave 2, what a weak wave. 2 Black Panthers.. both we didn't need , one being one we basically just got a few months earlier, another Okoye basicalliy , and 3rd Black Panther whom was just wearing a dress , a drunk dude in a suit who fell on his face, and the only good figure in the wave Killmonger who could easily be a pass for most, plus really uninventive BAF that wasn't even warranting a BAF position

another close runner up was Captain Marvel wave, over saturated with Captain Marvels, a boring young suit Nick Fury, terrible Yon-Rogg, a Skrull nobody wanted (if it's not comic no thanks) , and a hideous and undersized BAF, however the wave did have Genis and GG whom I quite liked but not enough to warrant this being a good wave

I guess it just comes down to what you collect. I read you as a, mostly, comic book figure collector. To me the 2nd BP wave was great, a cool alternative display option for Black Panther, an army builder, a cool villain with display options, the look I wanted for Killmonger in the first place, and 2 Black Panthers with no room in my collection, Dad Panther which at least looked cool, and Civil War Black Panther, which had a nice new headsculpt, so he wasn't completely useless. Plus the BaF was a fun character from the movie. 

I'll agree on the Captain Marvel wave, young Fury does nothing for me but give me a custom body for a background character, I got the bomber jacket Carol just  because of a motionless cat. Yon-Rogg without an alternative headsculpt was kinda lame, and Genis and GG are comic characters I don't collect. 

Captain Marvel, without a doubt.  Grey Gargoyle and basic Carol were the only figures I wanted.  The supporting movie characters were boring (They'd have been better off putting Talos and Young Nick in a two-pack and padding the assortment with other Star Force members), and the only one that could've been interesting desperately needed an unmasked headsculpt (Yon-Rogg).  Also a new Mar-Vell would have done WAY better than Genis.  Just saying.  Or even an updated Marvel Boy/Noh-Varr.

In my perfect world, we would've gotten:

MCU Carol (Red/Blue/Gold and include Goose as an extra accessory, no BAF piece)

MCU Yon-Rogg w/ Unmasked headsculpt

MCU Korath the Pursuer

Comic Mar-Vell

Comic Classic Ms. Marvel with alternate Karla Sofen head

Noh-Varr (Classic Costume)

Comic Monica Rambeau/Photon/Captain Marvel (Classic)

BAF:  Ronan the Accuser (classic comic version)

Exclusives:

Young Nick and Talos 2-pack

Starforce 2-pack (Punchy Guy with Beard and Double-Pistol Guy)

Starforce Carol/Minn-Erva

Green MCU Ronan

Ah well, if wishes were fishes and all that...

For this year, i would say the Kingpin wave but that's mostly down to my personal tastes as Silver Sable and Puma were the only figures in this wave I found appealing.. .and,  even at that, neither are must-have characters for me.  Sure the BAF is great but can't justfify buying 4 figures i don't really want to build him.  But again, that's just my personal preferences, the figures themselves look pretty well executed.

For last year, I would have to go with Infinity War wave 1.  Proxima Midnight was really the only must-have figure from the wave for me. the comic figures are all OK but none really feels important or exceptionally cool and the BAF was lackluster and quickly made obsolete by a better version. 

I can see where people are coming from in terms of the Sauron wave.  That BAF was amazing but if i was cherry picking i probably would've skipped all but Bishop, Omega Red, and boxers DP.  So that's 4 figures i got really for the BAF pieces, although at least i got most of them on sale. However, Bishop and Omega Red are both awesome figures and seem like pretty important to an x-men collection, and i really like Chill DP, finding him a very unique and hilarious character.. one of those ones like Spider-Punk & Disco Dazzler that I'm amazed Hasbro made.  So to me I would rank Sauron wave as better than Infinity War wave 1. 

My favorite for this year so far is BP wave 2, so perhaps my tastes are off from most folks on this board.  Although I think Caliban wave is quite solid and Endgame wave 2 had some great figures too.

37 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

My favorite for this year so far is BP wave 2, so perhaps my tastes are off from most folks on this board.  Although I think Caliban wave is quite solid and Endgame wave 2 had some great figures too.

PREACH!!! 🙌 I agree completely!! BPwave2 is my favorite too. I was leaning for the FFHwave but while most figures are great, they aren't must keep for my personal collection. 

For 2019, I feel that the Captain Marvel wave is the weakest thus far, and notably weaker than the second BP wave. Personally, I enjoyed the Captain Marvel film but the figures were just boring. I came out of that deal only buying basic MCU Carol and Nick. As for BP wave 2, I got the entire wave save Malibu BP in skirt and the army builder - though the BaF didn’t do it for me whatsoever. I think Jmacq1 provided a pretty awesome alternate wave breakdown that would have had me far more excited to spend dollar than what we got did. 

6 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

Captain Marvel, without a doubt.  Grey Gargoyle and basic Carol were the only figures I wanted.  The supporting movie characters were boring (They'd have been better off putting Talos and Young Nick in a two-pack and padding the assortment with other Star Force members), and the only one that could've been interesting desperately needed an unmasked headsculpt (Yon-Rogg).  Also a new Mar-Vell would have done WAY better than Genis.  Just saying.  Or even an updated Marvel Boy/Noh-Varr.

MCU Korath the Pursuer

Comic Mar-Vell

Exclusives:

Green MCU Ronan

See now this would have actually been a good Cap Marvel wave

Hasbro needs to hire people from this board as creative consultants

I've never bought a wave because of the BAF, its not usually what brings me in. Having said that, I really wanted that Kingpin...really wanted him... but outside of maybe 2 figures, I just couldn't justify paying all that just for one guy. That was an incredibly weak wave and I'm thinking they knew it was weak, and spiced it up with Kingpin to get buyers. I almost passed on the Sauron BAF but thru some quirk wound up with the torso; really liked most of the other figures already so, I now have him.

6 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

MCU Korath the Pursuer

Comic Mar-Vell

Exclusives:

Green MCU Ronan

No, you got it dead on. Only thing is I would've added the "star field" red & blue Genis from the old Toybiz variant, and kept the Genis we got this time around. Maybe added the original white and green Mar-vell. Wish they'd listened to you!

11 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

For this year, i would say the Kingpin wave but that's mostly down to my personal tastes as Silver Sable and Puma were the only figures in this wave I found appealing.. .and,  even at that, neither are must-have characters for me.  Sure the BAF is great but can't justfify buying 4 figures i don't really want to build him.  But again, that's just my personal preferences, the figures themselves look pretty well executed.

You got that Kingpin torso kicking around anywhere? I'm definitely in the market.

1 hour ago, Benn said:

You got that Kingpin torso kicking around anywhere? I'm definitely in the market.

haha rad, well i almost forgot after trading you those pieces to show me how awesome the shadow king looked , nice to see you actually got it all and then some. 👍

3 minutes ago, UsurperSmurf said:

Ultimate Green Goblin wave without a doubt.

No way that wave was the wave that got me back into collecting ML, it had an awesome Black Cat, Carnage, Superior SM, Anya Spider-Girl, Toxin (while we could have seen better, this is probably what we are going to get for along while), and Ultimate Beetle whom I thought was nice, and Movie Electro which I really still like (more then the comic version we got) plus that BAF is great , but it's all personal opinion since.. so many people disagreed with me saying BP wave 2 was one of the worst

10 hours ago, Benn said:

Sorry man, i bought Puma loose on ebay shortly after he came out so I don't have the BAF piece.  

Sometimes I'll buy a loose figure like that just to make a firm commitment to NOT building the BAF... otherwise i end up going back and forth in my mind for months about whether to build him or not, constantly checking prices on the (imo) undesirable figures  in the wave and loose BAF parts, etc.   Something I'm kinda doing now with Prof Hulk and (to a lesser extent) Caliban.  It can be a relief to have completing the BAF be removed from the realm of possibility.  Of course, its  not as big of an issue when hasbro has nonstop waves coming out but back when I bought Puma the only waves around were M'Baku, Kingpin, and Kree Sentry.  The sentry wave was another one where i bought some loose figures just to keep myself from backtracking on skipping the BAF, although obviously he's nowhere near as cool a BAF as Kingpin.

15 hours ago, UsurperSmurf said:

Ultimate Green Goblin wave without a doubt.

I will agree that (IMO) that is one of the weakest BaFs in Hasbro’s history, but that’s strictly because I give zero craps about that version of Goblin. However, I really liked that wave and as others have said, it was a big push when I was still finding steam in getting back into ML collecting. I also agree that the comic version of Electro that we eventually received was PRETTY weak. The classic alternate portrait doesn’t really fit, and makes it seem like a poor home kitbash. 

Since I dont collect MCU figures Id have to say that for me the Avengers waves have been pretty weak lately (but as a fan I can admit the MCU figures are well done and If I collected these I would have a different opinion)
Aside from that I find each wave Hasbro makes has at least a couple figures I really want, but I do find funny that usually the waves that have the least ammount of figures I want also have the best BAFs (like the kingpin wave) and the waves I tend to like almost every Character have pretty weak BAFs (like the wendigo wave)

6 minutes ago, abnuggler said:

but I do find funny that usually the waves that have the least ammount of figures I want also have the best BAFs (like the kingpin wave) and the waves I tend to like almost every Character have pretty weak BAFs (like the wendigo wave)

That's no accident, altho i feel like Hasbro has been pushing it to the limit lately.  I would say there haven't been any waves yet this year where the BAF felt like a homerun AND the character selection in the wave was awesome, but again its a matter of personal opinion.

7 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

That's no accident, altho i feel like Hasbro has been pushing it to the limit lately.  I would say there haven't been any waves yet this year where the BAF felt like a homerun AND the character selection in the wave was awesome, but again its a matter of personal opinion.

Im sure when they plan a BAF and know itll sell well just for the BAF they tend to pack in characters in that wave that people wont usually get, and on the other hand when they have a wave roundup that they know they have a bunch of good figures they just pack in a BAF that wont be that intresting (to leave good bafs for when they need to sell the lesser known characters)

IDK the Kingpin BAF is really good and it's wave seemed pretty weak to me (maybe it was just me but I ended up only really wanting Silver Sable out of all of the figures in this wave)