The Weakest Waves.

SolidSnakeEyes

12 hours ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

You’re right, ideas and opinions on the quality and desirability of ML figure does differ from one collector to the next, and that is exactly the point of this discussion thread. 

So Very True. Myself, could care less about strong guy, Deadpool or really any of the "X-Force" or even the New Mutants. But I'd love to see Alpha Flight completed. I've got friends who are the exact opposite. One thing I will say, is that overall I have really enjoyed seeing a lot of my Marvel heroes made into action figure form....it was unthinkable, when I was a kid. Companies would only do Spider-Man, Batman & Superman....they might venture out and do a tad more DC guys, and you MIGHT get a kind of Hulk or Captain America. Beyond that, just forget it. Today....we can get the Vision! Sub-Mariner! Storm! Sunfire! SUNFIRE?? Are you kidding me! I love it. We're in a time now where there is actually a damn GOOD chance you may get those characters you like, but few others do.

1 hour ago, enzosaurusrex said:

I think the only consolation with a Strong Guy BAF wave is that we won't be "forced" to get 2 versions of the same character in Deadpool (well 3) just to build Strong Guy.

Honestly, I'm...not the biggest Deadpool fan, so if I was forced to buy any other X-men character from a Strong Guy wave, I would just think of it as better than having to buy yet another Deadpool figure and I think I'll be good. lol

Yeah, the multiples of the same chararacter in a wave is really annoying, Sauron, M'Baku and Kree Sentry waves I'm looking at you

2 hours ago, enzosaurusrex said:

I think the only consolation with a Strong Guy BAF wave is that we won't be "forced" to get 2 versions of the same character in Deadpool (well 3) just to build Strong Guy.

Honestly, I'm...not the biggest Deadpool fan, so if I was forced to buy any other X-men character from a Strong Guy wave, I would just think of it as better than having to buy yet another Deadpool figure and I think I'll be good. lol

Yeah, DP jumped the shark pretty damn quick. I think it was a combination of breakout popularity and the uncertainty of what would happen with this character after the buyout. Either way, if I never see another DP figure it would be too soon, and he's one of my favorites. We all know there will be at least one Wolverine or DP in a potential Strong Guy wave, but hopefully they WILL be the figs that don't include the BFF parts.

I think it's pretty clear by the strength of some of the waves this year and the chosen BAFs it is quite clear that they are arranging the waves where a more desired BAF is being held back to boost a weaker wave. It's just smart business. That being said, the lack of a Strong Guy this year may have a lot to do with the uncertainty of the New Mutants movie, which pretty much looks to be damned to Hulu Hell thanks to that Dark Phoenix POS (I totally got this one wrong,BTW). I assume a Strong Guy wave would have some New Mutants representation like Wolfsbane or a legged Cannonball and the fate of such a wave is now in question for the immediate future. Maybe some rearranging will be in order and they'll build a roster including some Alpha Flight characters and some New Mutants. And don't be surprised if you see that FA Wolverine pop up in a wave like this (with a slightly altered paint scheme, of course).

On 7/15/2019 at 11:25 AM, greenlucario said:

But at that time that Carnage was the absolute, BEST 6 inch version, hands down.  They only needed to make minor improvements, much appreciated as they may be, to make it better for the reissue.  Not only was it rare, it stayed that way, hence the reissue if I had to guess Hasbro's motives.  Boomerang is needed for all Spider-Man collections, c-list or otherwise, hard to rip on him.  Additionally, both that Beetle and Green Goblin work out for people with Ultimate Peter Parker, or Miles Morales, in a display, hard to give them more than a little flack.  Even Superior Spider-Man is (sadly) a needed costume for most Spider-Man collections.

Could the wave have been stronger? Yeah, it could have, but you are forgetting where it came in, in the grand scheme of things.  It was stronger than most of the previous RoML waves, and only in comparing it to a modern wave can you really fault it.  It was also an order of magnitude stronger than it's counterpart, the Mandroid wave.  Subjectively, I guess if you're not a Spidey collector it isn't a good wave, but what matters is that objectively, it is/was a fine wave, there are far worse waves that preceded and followed it.  

I have revised my opinion now that I've seen the fat Thor wave.

I’ll get Heimdall and Valkyrie assuming I can find them and I may wait for clearance if they seem easy to find, but the rest of the wave are either repeats of things I have (Vision, Cap), or aren’t interesting to me.

Mark 85, like so many recent MCU IM figures is just boring to me, especially without added accessories. Iron Patriot looks like a popsicle nightmare and I prefer the scheme for the original (added accessories aside). That Cap, despite the changes, is mostly hard to look at - like a plastic surgery disaster. Vision somehow turned out worse than the original release. The facial printing looks messy and I’m not really digging the opaque plastic. As for Fat/Bro/Lebowski Thor...it’s new, different, and admittedly unexpected, but I can’t find it in myself to buy that wave to build it. Here’s to hoping I find it at a second hand comic shop and it ain’t too pricey. 

With all of these considerations, this wave is at the very least on par with the Captain Marvel wave as the weakest wave thus far. I did however end up buying 4 figures from the Captain Marvel wave, and can’t see myself doing that with this Fat Thor wave...so, we will see. 

Yeah I think that Thorbowski Wave is now officially one of the Weakest waves, Only good things are the BAF (but is just fun nothing more), Hemidall and Valkyrie (finally in the outfit we wanted) , other then that man that wave is a Snooze fest

Oh definitely I would say the first endgame wave. Alot of the figures from that wave I didn't really want but got for the baf. Then the thanos baf looked good but I was disappointed with the articulation. Another one that I thought was a pretty poor wave more so than the first endgame wave was the captain marvel wave. I got one figure from it captain marvel. Thought about getting nick fury but ended up not. Also thought about getting the skrull after I saw the movie but again didn't. The baf didnt interest me