The Weakest Waves.

SolidSnakeEyes

42 minutes ago, abnuggler said:

on the other hand when they have a wave roundup that they know they have a bunch of good figures they just pack in a BAF that wont be that intresting (to leave good bafs for when they need to sell the lesser known characters)

I'm inclined to believe this is what happened with Caliban.  That whole wave is solid gold with the exception of Skullbuster (popularity-wise, not quality; he's a fine figure).  Personally, I would have built Caliban regardless, but I don't think too many others would have.

1 minute ago, MonsterChris said:

I'm inclined to believe this is what happened with Caliban.  That whole wave is solid gold with the exception of Skullbuster (popularity-wise, not quality; he's a fine figure).  Personally, I would have built Caliban regardless, but I don't think too many others would have.

Same will go with Wendigo, I think casual collectors wont really buy Guardian that much (at the very least he is the weakest of the wave)

55 minutes ago, abnuggler said:

Same will go with Wendigo, I think casual collectors wont really buy Guardian that much (at the very least he is the weakest of the wave)

I think Cannonball and Boom-Boom might also pegwarm.  I like the Boom-Boom figure but its hard to predict how female figures will sell.  Cannonball has the whole "no legs' controversy going on.   Nightcrawler and Sinister will sell very well, and Wolverine will probably be anywhere from a decent to a hot seller.   

Personally I like the whole wave and dig the Wendigo BAF even though he's so similar to Sasquatch from last year.

13 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

I think Cannonball and Boom-Boom might also pegwarm.  I like the Boom-Boom figure but its hard to predict how female figures will sell.  Cannonball has the whole "no legs' controversy going on.   Nightcrawler and Sinister will sell very well, and Wolverine will probably be anywhere from a decent to a hot seller.   

Personally I like the whole wave and dig the Wendigo BAF even though he's so similar to Sasquatch from last year.

I got the whole Calliban Wave except for Skullbuster and Plan to get the whole Wendigo wave except for Guardian, (ill have to hunt for those baf pieces loose) but I yeah I agree Boom Boom and Cannonball are probably peg warm (In my country the figures that sell out first are MCU figures, then the more well known characters, and the lesser known characters like these two usually get to a point were they are sold at discount prices and liquidation sales, so for me that I collect only Comic characters its a good thing) lately  with Hasbro making so many waves Ive opted for only getting the figures I know will sell out fast first and wait like 6 months for the discounts and clearances to buyt the rest and complete the BAF.

3 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

That's no accident, altho i feel like Hasbro has been pushing it to the limit lately.  I would say there haven't been any waves yet this year where the BAF felt like a homerun AND the character selection in the wave was awesome, but again its a matter of personal opinion.

Yeah, you're definitely right, but I don't think it's malicious. I'd say it's calculated risk. They have to pad the line with lesser-known characters with limited fan-bases (especially at the rate they're currently releasing figures), or else they risk the line's stagnation. Moreso, I like to think they want to release these characters. Everyone has their pet characters that most people aren't that into, and I think it's awesome they try to appeal to that. So, they try to balance more obscure waves with more well-known BAFs, and vice versa, because it absorbs a lot of the risk.

23 hours ago, Benn said:

…. Moreso, I like to think they want to release these characters. Everyone has their pet characters that most people aren't that into, and I think it's awesome they try to appeal to that. So, they try to balance more obscure waves with more well-known BAFs, and vice versa, because it absorbs a lot of the risk.

I agree; while I would LOVE to see Doc Samson in his 80s red leather outfit, Red Wolf, El Aguila, or Moon Dragon, how many other people (buyers) even know, much less care about, these characters? We really don't know if Hasbro is even gonna finish with the original Guardians of the Galaxy, Inhumans or Alpha Flight teams. The trick is to link them with better known characters, but most of them are already done. Sure, you can squeeze a few more Iron Man variants (Silver Centurion and Heroes Reborn come to mind), but I cant think of anything else one can do with Captain America and Spider-Man. Even Wolverine is about played out. Still...hope springs eternal....

c1c15f84-d60a-47fc-b7d8-83b87ad99f04.jpg

08cd351656bdff1bb8f054dd6f683cb3.jpg

2 hours ago, greenlucario said:

Captain Marvel

Both Black Panther waves

Sauron (amazing BAF, terrible wave)

Kingpin (good BAF, mediocre wave)

I think the Sauron wave was somewhat split down the middle. Omega Red, Bishop, and Wolverine were great figures, but the rest of the wave felt like terrible throw aways. Deadpool is personally one of my least favorite comic book characters (hands down), so I never pulled the trigger on any of those other figures in the wave. 

23 hours ago, Atlantis said:

I agree; while I would LOVE to see Doc Samson in his 80s red leather outfit, Red Wolf, El Aguila, or Moon Dragon, how many other people (buyers) even know, much less care about, these characters? We really don't know if Hasbro is even gonna finish with the original Guardians of the Galaxy, Inhumans or Alpha Flight teams. The trick is to link them with better known characters, but most of them are already done. Sure, you can squeeze a few more Iron Man variants (Silver Centurion and Heroes Reborn come to mind), but I cant think of anything else one can do with Captain America and Spider-Man. Even Wolverine is about played out. Still...hope springs eternal....

c1c15f84-d60a-47fc-b7d8-83b87ad99f04.jpg

08cd351656bdff1bb8f054dd6f683cb3.jpg

red wolf would be awesome! and I would totally get a doc Sampson too

On 7/11/2019 at 1:25 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

No way that wave was the wave that got me back into collecting ML, it had an awesome Black Cat, Carnage, Superior SM, Anya Spider-Girl, Toxin (while we could have seen better, this is probably what we are going to get for along while), and Ultimate Beetle whom I thought was nice, and Movie Electro which I really still like (more then the comic version we got) plus that BAF is great , but it's all personal opinion since.. so many people disagreed with me saying BP wave 2 was one of the worst

I think Black Cat was the only good figure in the line that I like (and I like her a lot even with her problems) 

After that we get two figures from a bad Spider-Man movie, a Carnage with now weapon hands that got redone, A Doc Ock Spider-Man that I guess some people like, A symbiote I never heard of, A Spider Girl I never heard of, A power ranger reject Beetle and Boomerang A C-list bad guy.

Ironically it was the wave that I bought my first 2 Legends from. Black Cat and Spider-Man 2 Spider-Man. I now also Have Boomerang that I bought loose.

45 minutes ago, michiganjfrog said:

theyre might be a few more out there like us 😄

I would definitely be interested, i think the demand for Doc Sampson would be decent since he hasn't had a figure in ages and is a prominent Hulk character.  Man-Wolf is way more obscure but is one of those characters that could be used in other settings (kind of like how black knight could be used in any medieval figure set-up).   I feel like they could mostly be made with re-used parts.

36 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Now I'm curious as to which weakest wave could be created and yet still sell?

lol probably a wave with Misty Knight, Songbird, Gwenpool,  Speed Demon, Medusa, Yellow Daredevil.    Who am i forgetting?

On 7/13/2019 at 8:09 PM, SolidSnakeEyes said:

I think the Sauron wave was somewhat split down the middle. Omega Red, Bishop, and Wolverine were great figures, but the rest of the wave felt like terrible throw aways. Deadpool is personally one of my least favorite comic book characters (hands down), so I never pulled the trigger on any of those other figures in the wave. 

I thought about giving the wave a higher rating because of Bishop and Omega Red, but for as great as they are, they're pretty random characters for the wave and don't feel like strong anchors.  Wolverine/X-23 on the other hand I have to disagree.  The toe claws on mine kept falling out, and overall I can't say I ever warmed up to that costume for Laura, add on to that the fact that we got a relatively classic X-23 in the Sasquach wave and this one felt, again, like it was being bought for only for a Sauron piece, and had it been any other BAF, I'd have skipped it.  I agree 100% on Deadpool, I only need one, but I had to have Sauron so they were all tough ones to pull the trigger on.

On 7/13/2019 at 10:05 PM, UsurperSmurf said:

I think Black Cat was the only good figure in the line that I like (and I like her a lot even with her problems) 

After that we get two figures from a bad Spider-Man movie, a Carnage with now weapon hands that got redone, A Doc Ock Spider-Man that I guess some people like, A symbiote I never heard of, A Spider Girl I never heard of, A power ranger reject Beetle and Boomerang A C-list bad guy.

Ironically it was the wave that I bought my first 2 Legends from. Black Cat and Spider-Man 2 Spider-Man. I now also Have Boomerang that I bought loose.

But at that time that Carnage was the absolute, BEST 6 inch version, hands down.  They only needed to make minor improvements, much appreciated as they may be, to make it better for the reissue.  Not only was it rare, it stayed that way, hence the reissue if I had to guess Hasbro's motives.  Boomerang is needed for all Spider-Man collections, c-list or otherwise, hard to rip on him.  Additionally, both that Beetle and Green Goblin work out for people with Ultimate Peter Parker, or Miles Morales, in a display, hard to give them more than a little flack.  Even Superior Spider-Man is (sadly) a needed costume for most Spider-Man collections.

Could the wave have been stronger? Yeah, it could have, but you are forgetting where it came in, in the grand scheme of things.  It was stronger than most of the previous RoML waves, and only in comparing it to a modern wave can you really fault it.  It was also an order of magnitude stronger than it's counterpart, the Mandroid wave.  Subjectively, I guess if you're not a Spidey collector it isn't a good wave, but what matters is that objectively, it is/was a fine wave, there are far worse waves that preceded and followed it.  

Oof. All this talk about the Sauron wave and how bad it is/was, and that the character/costume choices were likely decided upon in order to sell less desirable figures on the back of a BaF (Sauron) we had been clamoring for for years, has got me thinking that Hasbro is likely to pull a similar stunt with future much-wanted BaFs. Now I’m over here sweating and thinking about the clogged toilet of a wave we might be presented to facilitate the long-awaited Strong Guy or Dragon Man BaFs. I know that using desirable BaFs to sell waves of standard figures is the general game plan, but that Sauron wave (and the Kingpin wave to a lesser degree) is one of the most prominent examples of total throwaway figures being so blatantly used to fill a wave required to complete a much desired BaF. It makes me wonder how bad it’ll be the next time we get that treatment. 

14 minutes ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

Oof. All this talk about the Sauron wave and how bad it is/was, and that the character/costume choices were likely decided upon in order to sell less desirable figures on the back of a BaF (Sauron) we had been clamoring for for years, has got me thinking that Hasbro is likely to pull a similar stunt with future much-wanted BaFs. Now I’m over here sweating and thinking about the clogged toilet of a wave we might be presented to facilitate the long-awaited Strong Guy or Dragon Man BaFs. I know that using desirable BaFs to sell waves of standard figures is the general game plan, but that Sauron wave (and the Kingpin wave to a lesser degree) is one of the most prominent examples of total throwaway figures being so blatantly used to fill a wave required to complete a much desired BaF. It makes me wonder how bad it’ll be the next time we get that treatment. 

Oh man...that would be truly terrifying.  I'd say you're right on the money with the desirable BAFs and less desirable waves concept.  But that bit about Dragon Man or Strong Guy, I know I'd shell out for two terrible waves if those were the BAFs, which has me having Sauron flashbacks all over again.  

1 hour ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

I was lucky to buy Sauron separately for €80, saving me over 100 quid and without the need for having a Pantless Deadpool. Still everyone's idea of what is a throwaway figure differs

1 hour ago, leokearon said:

I was lucky to buy Sauron separately for €80, saving me over 100 quid and without the need for having a Pantless Deadpool. Still everyone's idea of what is a throwaway figure differs

You’re right, ideas and opinions on the quality and desirability of ML figure does differ from one collector to the next, and that is exactly the point of this discussion thread. 

14 hours ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

I think the only consolation with a Strong Guy BAF wave is that we won't be "forced" to get 2 versions of the same character in Deadpool (well 3) just to build Strong Guy.

Honestly, I'm...not the biggest Deadpool fan, so if I was forced to buy any other X-men character from a Strong Guy wave, I would just think of it as better than having to buy yet another Deadpool figure and I think I'll be good. lol