Taika Waititi Inks Deal To Write And Helm 'Thor 4'

Outsiders

Taika Waititi has inked a deal to write and direct a follow-up to the 2017 Thor: Ragnarok, but the fourth installment could cost Waititi Warner Bros. adaptation of Japanese manga Akira.

Warner Bros. has marked May 21st, 2021 for the release of Akira and Waititi has been testing actors in a worldwide search for talent.  Now with this deal to write and direct the fourth Thor movie, the two projects' production dates began to bump up against one another. Script development concerns caused Akira to push back its shooting start, and while some of those have been addressed, say sources, the dates were now too close for comfort.  Several sources are stating that Warner Bros. is keeping Waititi involved for the long term and hopes to see him pick up Akira after Thor 4.

Waititi helmed the Thor franchise with Ragnarok and made almost $854 million worldwide while critics’ raves put the movie at 93 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.  Chris Hemsworth is expected to reprise his career-defining role as the Asgardian god of thunder.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Taika_Waititi.jpg

I enjoyed the heck out of Thor Ragnarok, Im glad he's going to make the 4th one, Im sure some people who arent too much into Taika's "comedic" style, wont be happy and will complain but I like it and Im good with him returning to helm the next thor movie

I really enjoyed Thor 3. I had gone in expecting to hate it, but I thought it was a riot and had a great time. So, I'm good with this news. So far, I think Waititi deserves a lot of credit for making Thor more enjoyable as a character and less of a stiff. I don't say that lightly either, because for me, when it comes to Marvel's version of Thor....There's the Simonson Era and then everything else. But even so, despite my everlasting love of that legendary story run, that version of Thor was a haughty stiff of indeed! Waititi made him more fun and without making him less of a badass, which is awesome and why the general audience has responded so well. Maybe it's my perspective as a relative old-timer, but comics are supposed to be fun, and movies about comics, likewise.  

1 hour ago, mako said:

"Comedic Style" may be a little to generous for what Titicaca does. I can say the word "Fart" and someone will ALWAYS laugh, but that doesn't make me a comedy genius. In any case, is that really the best tone for a Thor movie?

That's a bit harsh, Waititi does have his own style of comedy, you don't have to like it, but it's not quite the fart joke . As for the best tone for a Thor movie... my best friend is on your boat, but Thor is quickly becoming my favorite Avenger starting from Ragnarok.

31 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

That's a bit harsh, Waititi does have his own style of comedy, you don't have to like it, but it's not quite the fart joke . As for the best tone for a Thor movie... my best friend is on your boat, but Thor is quickly becoming my favorite Avenger starting from Ragnarok.

I agree. I really enjoyed Ragnarok, and it was due to Waititi's comedic style, which I think is really good. 

As an adult collector and fan of superheroes of course I would love to see a movie with a serious tone, maybe dark and gritty, but I know that's not what the MCU aims to do. 

I'm curious about the plot thou, I mean, last time we saw Thor he was leaving with the Guardians of the Galaxy, but we're also gonna get GotG 3, right?

When your movies are meant to appeal to young kids / families going out to the movies together, there is only so dark and gritty you can go.  But a bit more gravitas would be appreciated - more the tone of Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark., which both still had plenty of humor. That said, the main complaints for Ragnarok seem to be not being serious enough about Odin's death, and the offhand way the Warriors Three were eliminated.  I don't think Waititi is likely to casually wipe out the supporting characters he introduced in Ragnarok.  

I do hope Sif returns for "The Fantastic Thor" , hopefully with her new lover Beta Ray Bill,  who can also be a rival to Thor.  maybe as a meta-joke have Bojack Horseman's star, Will Arnett, be the voice of BRB, although that might be too much.

7 hours ago, mako said:

"Comedic Style" may be a little to generous for what Titicaca does. I can say the word "Fart" and someone will ALWAYS laugh, but that doesn't make me a comedy genius. In any case, is that really the best tone for a Thor movie?

I guess to each his own, I dont think its a bad thing to have comedy mixed in with a serious movie specially in a movie like thor, I didnt say Taika was a comedy genious I just think he did a good job with Ragnarok (and thats a personal opinion) I understand why some poeple dont like it though but I'd rather have a movie with the comedy Taika brought in Thor Ragnarok to the comedy Taylor brought to Dark World. Besides a dark and serious Thor movie doesnt really work specially with how the character has been developed in the MCU (I know in the comics he is different but the MCU Thor is different than in the comics and it would be weird to make him really serious all of a sudden)

15 hours ago, mako said:

From all three Thor movies, Thor Ragnorak did best with the audience and critics. The movie got a high IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes scores, so majority of people liked it. Obviously Taika's comedic style approach made the difference. I liked that he made Thor much more human, more likable and easier to relate (being he is God of thunder).

For me the movie was really fun to watch and, in my opinion, it is great he will be working on another one.