#SDCC2019 - Marvel Studios Announces New Movies And TV Shows During Hall H Presentation

JayC

Marvel Studios today during San Diego Comic Con announced new movies and TV shows for the next 2 years. According to Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige.

Marvel Studios’ The Eternals starring Richard Madden as Ikaris, Kumail Nanjiani as Kingo, Lauren Ridloff as Makkari, Brian Tyree Henry as Phastos, Salma Hayek as Ajak, Lia McHugh as Sprite, Don Lee as Gilgamesh, and Angelina Jolie as Thena. The Eternals, which will be directed by Chloé Zhao, will come to theaters November 6, 2020.

Marvel Studios’ The Falcon and The Winter Soldier! Anthony Mackie (The Falcon) and Sebastian Stan (The Winter Soldier) came on stage to greet the fans, and it was revealed that Daniel Brühl will return as the villain, Baron Zemo. Marvel Studios’ The Falcon and The Winter Soldier will come to Disney+ in the fall of 2020.

Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings starring Simu Liu in the title role. Appearing alongside Liu will be Awkwafina in an undisclosed role and Tony Leung as the (real) Mandarin. Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings will be directed by Destin Daniel Cretton. In theaters February 12, 2021.

Marvel Studio’s WandaVision, an original series starring Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany, reprising their MCU roles as Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch and Vision. Costarring with them is Teyonah Parris, whom Feige revealed would be playing the adult Monica Rambeau, who was introduced as a child in Marvel Studios' Captain Marvel. Marvel Studios’ WandaVision will arrive on Disney+ in the spring of 2021.

Loki will also make his way to Disney+! Marvel Studios’ Loki, an original series starring Tom Hiddleston, will see the god of mischief causing even more trouble starting in the spring of 2021.

Marvel Studios’ Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Stephen Strange with Scott Derrickson returning as director. But joining Doctor Strange this time around will be the Scarlet Witch, played by Elizabeth Olsen. In another twist, the events of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness will connect with the Disney+ series Marvel Studios' WandaVision. Marvel Studios’ Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness will cast its spell in theaters May 7, 2021.

the WHAT IF...? comics will be adapted for the screen! Marvel Studios’ What If…?, the first animated series in the MCU, will star Jeffrey Wright as the voice of The Watcher -- many actors from across the MCU will reprise their roles as voice talent. What If…? will present alternate realities in the Marvel Universe that are set to warp your world in the summer of 2021, exclusively on Disney+.

Marvel Studios’ Hawkeye starring Jeremy Renner, who joined Kevin Feige onstage share more details about the show, which will introduce Kate Bishop, who has been hitting her mark in Marvel Comics. Marvel Studios’ Hawkeye will come to Disney+ in the fall of 2021.

Natalie Portman will return for Marvel Studios’ Thor: Love and Thunder, joining stars Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson. Taika Waititi returns as director, and he confirmed that Jane Foster will become the Mighty Thor, goddess of Thunder. Marvel Studios’ Thor: Love and Thunder will arrive in theaters November 5, 2021.

Marvel Studios’ Black Widow starring Scarlett Johansson reprising her MCU role. She will be joined by David Harbour as Alexei AKA The Red Guardian, Florence Pugh as Yelena, O-T Fagbenle as Mason, and Rachel Weisz as Melina. Cate Shortland is directing. Marvel Studios’ Black Widow will come to theaters May 1, 2020.

Finally Kevin Feige introduced Mahershala Ali as Blade! which will also slash its way into theaters!

So it was everything that we expected with a plus. We knew that Blade was going to come eventually, but cool to know that is sooner than later. 

Really don't know what to expect from this Thor movie. 

I am very pleased with hearing all of this, sounds exciting but um.. no Mahershala Ali cannot play Blade I'm outraged how could they do this, and destroy MCU continuity he was already Cottonmouth , just because those Netflix shows were canceled doesn't mean that they don't exist in the MCU anymore or didn't , first time I'm officially mad at Marvel Studios

Mahershala Ali is as Blade is pitch perfect. So looking forward to that. As for the Eternals, what, no Sersi?? Come on now. I'm hoping that Salma Hayek as Ajak is a typo, and that they really meant that she's Sersi. This has the potential to be either amazing or just laughably bad. Fingers crossed, because I love the Eternals.

My enthusiasm for the new Thor movie has now gone from excited optimism to a plummeting meteoric fireball, blazing its way downward to a fiery and explosive end. No way I'm going to see that now.

I'm excited for Doctor Strange 2! Shang-Chi sounds promising, but, I'm on the fence about it. Not really interested in a Loki series, and I could care less about a Hawkeye series.

The Black Widow...I'm torn. It sounds good, and I like the inclusion of Red Guardian. But...if it's merely a backstory that leaves off with her still being dead in the present, I don't know. Too sad, plus I didn't like how they handled her in the last Avengers film. 

3 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

I am very pleased with hearing all of this, sounds exciting but um.. no Mahershala Ali cannot play Blade I'm outraged how could they do this, and destroy MCU continuity he was already Cottonmouth , just because those Netflix shows were canceled doesn't mean that they don't exist in the MCU anymore or didn't , first time I'm officially mad at Marvel Studios

Didn't they already have the woman playing Mariah show up in Civil War as a different character? Just pretend Blade and Cottonmouth are distant cousins!

Yo Mahershala Ali as Blade? Sign me up. He was great as Cottonmouth and I wanted him to star in more Marvel projects. My girl Lizzie is appearing in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. Yes, please. I do hope we'll be getting Clea. Shang-Chi is coming to the MCU and he'll be facing off against the Mandarin. They're going to do the Mandarin without Iron Man? It's like doing Venom without Spider-Ma... Oh wait. A-List actors coming to the MCU. I'm very excited.

3 hours ago, watanabefan said:

Didn't they already have the woman playing Mariah show up in Civil War as a different character? Just pretend Blade and Cottonmouth are distant cousins!

Yes, but that could've been played off as actually being Mariah just causing mischief for one reason or another. This, on the other hand, draws a pretty hard line between the MCU and the Netflix shows. Oh well!

3 hours ago, Benn said:

Yes, but that could've been played off as actually being Mariah just causing mischief for one reason or another. This, on the other hand, draws a pretty hard line between the MCU and the Netflix shows. Oh well!

Given the way the likes of AOS has been treated by the MCU, the Netflix shows are in the same boat, they are influenced by the MCU not the other way round. Disney are clearly making sure that whatever they create is the prime canon.

I like all of the announcements but I'll give my two cents :

- Is that future Blade movie confirming the cancellation/cut of the links between the MCU and the netflix
shows?
- I'm also mad they did choose the female thor story. Why do they choose so recent story arcs!? Why do they ruin the characters just to force all every licence to adapt to communities? By the way, didn't Portman say she would not return the last time she spoke about Thor movies? I believe Marvel paycheck was convincing.
- Black Widow movie would have been better before Endgame, it is kind of a waste since Natasha is dead.
- Same for the Mandarin (Shang Shi, I wish we saw the real one when Iron Man was still alive.

Wow, talk about good news. I do agree about the new Thor movie though. I believe they made a WHAT IF? story already that had Jane Foster become THORDIS. And I just hope Cottonmouth has the martial arts chops to carry a big role like Blade. Or at least a good fight trainer. For me the WHAT IF's have the potential to be great especially if they use the same MCU actors. Personally I don't mind them using the same actors in other roles. As for the A list stars, its Johnny come lately. Let the new guys have a shot and save some cash in the meantime.

19 hours ago, mako said:

Well that is an impressive list . . . of theatrical garbage fires and (formerly) respectable actors whoring themselves out for a Netflix wanna-be.

Oh well, as long as we get some good (non-MCU) figures outta this mess.

I'm afraid these are the kinda "projects" that are gonna keep the MCU figures firmly secured into ML. Neither hide nor hair of a comic based Falcon or Winter Soldier, yet we'll probably see some MCU product (which they've already done) out of it as soon as they possibly can.

The Eternals? I just don't see it. A buncha aging (at one time) A-Listers signing on to take the MCU into the future? With a franchise that no one knows and is basically defunct in the comics. Not happening. And at what time do you finally give up the ghost and admit Jane Foster Thor was a massive mistake? It was bad for the comics (some might say disastrous) and it will be bad for the MCU. It was just a bad idea, period. Nobody wanted it, very few asked for it and they hadda bring the REAL Thor back to save the comic from the abyss.

I'm on the fence about WandaVision (WTF is that supposed to mean) cuz it's been a solid storyline through the comics. I'll hold out hope, plus I've really grown to appreciate both Olsen an Bettany in their roles.

I'm very interested in Shang Chi and think that it could be what Iron Fist should have been. That's assuming Disney doesn't drive it off the SJW cliff, but it's Disney so......yeah.

WHAT IF?... at first seemed the longest shot to me but after thinking it over I think this could actually have the potential to introduce some wacky and obscure characters to the MCU. Of course that would require them to break the standard heretofore practice of introducing a single protagonist who chases a single antagonist constantly throughout a 10-13 episode season (ref. any Marvel Netflix series) for a final encounter that nowhere near lives up to the build up of the entire season. Only time will tell, but again, I'll save holding my breath.

Overall this entire line up just seems like one giant reach. It just seems forced and like the biggest gamble in MCU history (short as it may be). It's starting to look like the MCU is losing its way, trying to make something, anything stick until they figure out what to do with X-Men or FF.

We do have to remember is that with a lot of Big names gone and the X-Men and F4 still a few years away, we are going to be getting movies which are either sequels or based on second stringers. Still Marvel have already shown what they can do with the likes of GOTG and Ant Man so I don't think it is really a bad thing.

7 hours ago, epyonofdeath said:

I am not going to lie but I am not that excited for this phases movies. I think the T.V. shows looks more appealing to me ! Phase 4 looks kinda weak right now but my mind might change . Who knows maybe I ll love  The Eternal and Shang-Chi. These  are comics that never caught my attention.  

Shang-Chi I like in the things I've seen him in but I was never a reader of his regular series.  Still, it's Kung-Fu adventure so it should be an easy sell, and the continuation of the "True Mandarin/Ten Rings" saga is just icing.

Eternals I've never really given a hoot about, but if there's one thing the MCU has been good at it's been making me at least a moderate fan of characters I was lukewarm on in the comics.

In short, I suspect Eternals will be just fine, and probably make a lot of people a lot more interested in those characters ala Guardians of the Galaxy.