So. Do we stop trying to complete Build-A-Figures ? ? ?

mars396

SDCC had a reveal of yet another BaF we bought all the figures in a wave to complete:   The Civil War (MCU) Giant Man.

This is now the SEVENTH Build-A-Figure made available without purchasing all the figures of their wave:
Groot 
Thanos (comics)
MCU Hulkbuster
MCU Ultron Prime 
MCU Thanos (Infinity War)
Juggernaut
MCU Giant Man

Do we stop obsessing over completing a wave ?
If I just wait long enough, will I be able to buy a Kingpin of a Bro-Thor without ever having a to buy a single figure of those waves ?

Don't forget Sandman and Dormammu! They released repainted versions of both BAFs in exclusive boxsets. And now we'll also be able to get Hit Monkey in that upcoming two-pack. So this is actually the tenth time they're doing this... yeah.

Obscure characters like Titus and Caliban are the only BAFs that certainly won't be rereleased, so those are the BAFs you should try to complete. The more popular characters will always be rereleased with a slightly different color scheme later on. That's why I actually prefer really obscure BAFs.

I only try to finish BAFs that I want at least 2/3 of the figures to build it.

The only time I'll but more than 2 figures that I don't want are when the figures are on sale cheap or I really want the figure. I would have done it for the the Rhino wave if I ever saw more than one figure from that wave.

out of the 7 rereleased BAFs, all but one (mcu Thanos) were re-released 3 years after the original BAF.

Furthermore, all mcu BAFs that were made more than 3 years ago have been re-released.  And all re-releases have either been as part of a set or as a store exclusive.

It hasn't been 3 years yet for mcu Vulture ,Mantis, Gladiator Hulk, Okoye, Cull Obsidian, M'Baku, Armored Thanos, Prof Hulk, or Molten Man,.  Its seems debatable whether hasbro would re-release all these guys so probably one or more will break the trend.

Comic BAFs seem less likely to be a candidate for re-release, especially the more obscure ones.  Most mcu BAFs could somehow be repackaged as part of a set with an A-list mcu hero, harder to do that with someone like Titus imo

Most of the rereleases are MCU which makes sense to have cheap  product out there when movies comes out. Plus to be fair they are not 100% the same as the original releaases,

Ant Man is more movie accurate and fixed the shoes which the fans asked for

Thanis is different color

Juggernaut has X-Men cartoon colors

Ultron was repainted and improved as well

Most of the re-released BAFs end up having some kind of aesthetic changes and some have bigger corrections. I'll admit it kinda irks me that I would have to purchase Giant Man again if I wanted the one with the "proper" feet, but I never liked the damn thing in the first place so I'm good, but if they were to re-release something like the Kingpin in say a Black suit, I would most definitely not have a problem purchasing him cuz I like that look, and it would create some differentiation if you wanted to display both Kingpin and Shadow King in different suits. Others have slight differences like Abomination (don't forget that one) and Dormammu and some get terrible differences like Sandman, but in the end I guess it all comes down to one's preference. If you don't wanna buy the whole wave cuz you don't like all the characters and you feel comfortable holding out to see of the BAF makes it as a single release then then that's your choice. As for me, I don't care how probable a BAF will be re-released at a later date, I'm too cautious to take a chance. I woulda hated to be left holding the bag if I had passed on Lame Cable and never completed Juggernaut, had they never re-released it in the 80 years pack.

I thought about it in the morning, and it doesn't really bother me. It's exactly like @monron999 said: If I want a BaF I'll try my best to build it, regardless of how likely it is to be re-released. The only BAFs I've doubled are Groot (because baby Groots), Thanos (because Dr. Strange was much better) and Ultron, and It kinda works since there's a scene with 2 Ultron Prime in the movie anyway.

I'd only hate it if I HAD to buy the BaF (if it had something extremely cool) and it wasn't even an upgrade. I can't even imagine how that could be the case. Maybe like the Hulkbuster/Angry Hulk set? But that didn't bother me since I couldn't catch the Hulkbuster on the first 2 runs.

I guess it works for helping people who are just starting their collections, and that's ok.

I think the re-releasing of BAF's is far to erratic to actually place any bets on anything getting re-released, so therefore no, keep trying to build the figure, I feel the likely hood of us getting re-released BAF's at any faster or predictable rate then currently is pretty nil , once in awhile we get lucky enough to have passed on a BAF only to get it in a much easier way , I Personally would love to see more BAF's finding there way onto shelves as part of packs or single carded

I mean I'd say the only BAFs worth passing on are MCU ones, especially if the paint apps don't seem right, they seem to have the highest number of re-releases with upgraded paint or sculpting.  In the case of Kingpin, I'd say it's a matter of when they re-release, not if, and I'll be happy to add another to the collection, still have that Shadow King head sculpt collecting dust, and I doubt I'm alone in that.

At the end of the day it's all about how badly you want that character.  If it's an important character to your collection, I'd say you can't afford to skip the BAF, or it might turn out like Juggernaut or Kingpin where it skyrockets, and you still have not guarantee of a re-release.

I've only bought 2 entire waves in the past 3 yrs for the BAF & that was for BAF Jugs & Kingpin. I don't collect MCU so that saves me $$ when the BAF is MCU based. Had no wish to get Titus, Groot, Sauron , Apoc,  Spy/der. 

My biggest BAF want is classic comic based Mr Hyde in either of these versions listed. He could come with a Byrne Head sculpt & the Buscema Head sculpt plus open grasping hands along with pummeling fist hands & no, the KP buck would not work as Hyde has a more muscular build than Fisk does. He is a long overdue Avengers villain & key member of the 80s Zemo led Masters of evil team. He would be perfect for an Avengers based wave that also should include Hercules of that storyline along with Bearded Thor or a figure with Bearded Thor head that you can put on the 80th anniv figure,  Captain Marvel Monica version & in scale with 80th anniv Thor Wrecking crew members along with Trapster, Titania, new in scale Absorbing man, Moonstone & my 2nd most wanted BAF, Evil Goliath! This list alone could cover 2-3 Avengers waves with a few MCU figs thrown in as well.  The "Siege of Avengers mansion " story arc is one of the greatest Avengers stories ever & deserves an action figure wave based on it imo.

Mr Hyde 1.jpg

Thor vs Mr Hyde.jpg

Mr Hyde 3.jpg

Mr Hyde vs BK.jpg

Mr Hyde vs Cap.png

Hercules 80s look.jpg

Masters of evil #1.jpg

Thor beard classic.jpg

Mr Hyde 2.htm

2 minutes ago, greenlucario said:

I mean I'd say the only BAFs worth passing on are MCU ones, especially if the paint apps don't seem right, they seem to have the highest number of re-releases with upgraded paint or sculpting.  In the case of Kingpin, I'd say it's a matter of when they re-release, not if, and I'll be happy to add another to the collection, still have that Shadow King head sculpt collecting dust, and I doubt I'm alone in that.

I would be pretty shocked if we didn't get a black-suit version of that Fisk relatively soon.  Both as a nod to "Into the Spider-Verse" and because he's worn dark suits in the comics often enough.

Just now, Jmacq1 said:

I would be pretty shocked if we didn't get a black-suit version of that Fisk relatively soon.  Both as a nod to "Into the Spider-Verse" and because he's worn dark suits in the comics often enough.

Yeah that and the fact that a classic Fisk with purple slacks doesn't exist, I know I'm holding off on buying a second one loose for now.

1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

My biggest BAF want is classic comic based Mr Hyde...The "Siege of Avengers mansion " story arc is one of the greatest Avengers stories ever & deserves an action figure wave based on it imo.

Agreed and I second both of those sentiments!  In that spirit, and in addition to the aforementioned interchangeable grasping/crushing hands and fist hands, I humbly submit that Hyde needs to come with one additional accessory: Cap's original shield all crumpled up!  Crushing that thing is probably the greatest/most horrible thing Hyde's ever done.  Hyde can still be the BAF of the wave as long as that ruined shield is included in someone's package!

My ideal Under Siege wave would also include Monica Rambeau as CM, Moonstone, Blackout, the Trapster, and a classic Zemo.

On the jokier it'll-never-happen-but-I-would-buy-the-hell-out-of-it-if-it-did front, how about a Jarvis with interchangeable battle-damaged/unconcious head?

hydeshield.jpg

17 minutes ago, MonsterChris said:

Agreed and I second both of those sentiments!  In that spirit, and in addition to the aforementioned interchangeable grasping/crushing hands and fist hands, I humbly submit that Hyde needs to come with one additional accessory: Cap's original shield all crumpled up!  Crushing that thing is probably the greatest/most horrible thing Hyde's ever done.  Hyde can still be the BAF of the wave as long as that ruined shield is included in someone's package!

My ideal Under Siege wave would also include Monica Rambeau as CM, Moonstone, Blackout, the Trapster, and a classic Zemo.

On the jokier it'll-never-happen-but-I-would-buy-the-hell-out-of-it-if-it-did front, how about a Jarvis with interchangeable battle-damaged/unconcious head?

hydeshield.jpg

I'm with ya on a crushed shield accessory! A beat up/tied up Jarvis figure is probably doubtful but a Jarvis figure would be great!  There are so many great comic based villains that Hasbro has not even touched & as they seem to be trying to give us a Serpent society team, they should start giving us more Masters of evil members as well.