Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hogun

Dark Beast

Recommended Posts

We know that the next X-Men wave will be an Age of Apocalypse wave. I'm sure the BAF will be an AoA Apocalypse, which brings me to my topic of discussion. It's been on my mind for awhile now, and with this new AoA wave coming, would you buy a Dark Beast figure if it was just a repaint of the Caliban wave Beast figure? Hasbro has the mold and the new Beast figure is selling like hotcakes. I wouldn't buy it because a) I am not a huge fan of the character and 2) because I already own 3 Beasts. Yes, that is not a typo. I'm a bunch of jerks, just like the Carolina Hurricanes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they could retool the face just slightly to make it more sinister, but I feel like they could sell them easy even if was a straight up repaint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dark Beast is a shoe-in, it is just a matter of how much they change him. I hope they do at least give him a new head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Torso and arms? Sure. But, in an Age of Apocalypse wave, this is the Beast we need. The Dark Beast who impersonated 616 McCoy and engineered the Morlocks could go in any wave, but this is what he looked like for AoA.

 

IMG_1594.GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing they had to spend money to make beast's mold entirely new Im pretty sure theyll try and get some profit back from the mold and release Dark beast using this same mold, as @leokearon said its just a matter of how much new tooling hasbro wants to spend on this dark beast, seeing how X-man has a bit of reetooling and new parts (jacket, torso, knees, front hip, head and lower arms), Weapon X has new lower arms and Morph has a new cape, its a matter of how much money hasbro has left for new tools for the rest of the figures (they usually have a predetermined ammount of new tooling cost and paint deco per wave, an they devide it with all the figures including the BAF), my bet is that if most of the rest of the figures have little new tooling and the BAF is slightly retooled Apocalypse BAF for an AOA Apocalypse, then we could not only see a new head on Dark Beast but we could also see them retooling the legs to have those metalized pants, if the BAF is a new tool all together (or mostly new) like Nemesis would be (I dont think we'll see sugarman unless this AOA wave/s do really well and we get nemesis and apocalypse first), then I think we'll just get a repaint of regular Beast (maybe with a new head)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As soon as I saw that sculpt I knew we were either getting Dark Beast or Amazing Adventures 70s Beast.

Amazing%20Adventures%2012.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, watanabefan said:

As soon as I saw that sculpt I knew we were either getting Dark Beast or Amazing Adventures 70s Beast.

Amazing%20Adventures%2012.jpg

 Grey Beast would be simple to do, it was my first Digibash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Foreverrgamer87 said:

I would much prefer grey beast before dark beast

I would prefer the Dark Beast given he is a separate character. Of course grey beast would also be good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't at all mind a Dark Beast that largely repurposes parts from the previous Beast, but if they use all of them, or even just all but the head, it's just going to look like regular Beast. They can repurpose the entire sculpt other than the head for Avengers/X-Factor beast, but I feel like Dark Beast will at least need new legs to be recognizable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So wait, maybe I missed something (and that's a totally legit possibility) but did they say they are actually going to be doing AOA waves or is the next era they are looking to complete, similar to Jim Lee X-men, is the AOA time period? It might seem like splitting hairs, but the two possibilities could be entirely different. If they are doing AOA waves you could expect about 80 percent of each wave to be AOA related and most likely the BAF, but if they are aiming to complete the particular related era like they did the Jim Lee era it could take some time. If you'll recall most of the X-Men waves only had only one, maybe two Jim Lee style characters per wave, and some we got in 2 packs, like Colossus and Jean Grey.

Either way, I think a Dark Beast is a no brainer, but it would definitely need a new head sculpt. I think the inclusion of a simple repainted Jim Lee Beast head sculpt is probably likely to be included in order to do some sort of "good enough" Grey Beast Alternate character though Dark Beast is notably "Darker". Then again, if I was Hasbro I would actually do a separate Grey Beast and Dark Beast in order to maximize the reusability of a pretty specific sculpt that really isn't suitable for any other character. There are notable differences (especially in the legs area) that would justify separate sculpts and releases. And personally, from a fans standpoint, I would much rather have and would be happy to pay for the two specific figures rather than a figure that makes one accurate version of a character and one "kinda okay" version of another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, monron999 said:

So wait, maybe I missed something (and that's a totally legit possibility) but did they say they are actually going to be doing AOA waves or is the next era they are looking to complete, similar to Jim Lee X-men, is the AOA time period? It might seem like splitting hairs, but the two possibilities could be entirely different. If they are doing AOA waves you could expect about 80 percent of each wave to be AOA related and most likely the BAF, but if they are aiming to complete the particular related era like they did the Jim Lee era it could take some time. If you'll recall most of the X-Men waves only had only one, maybe two Jim Lee style characters per wave, and some we got in 2 packs, like Colossus and Jean Grey.

Either way, I think a Dark Beast is a no brainer, but it would definitely need a new head sculpt. I think the inclusion of a simple repainted Jim Lee Beast head sculpt is probably likely to be included in order to do some sort of "good enough" Grey Beast Alternate character though Dark Beast is notably "Darker". Then again, if I was Hasbro I would actually do a separate Grey Beast and Dark Beast in order to maximize the reusability of a pretty specific sculpt that really isn't suitable for any other character. There are notable differences (especially in the legs area) that would justify separate sculpts and releases. And personally, from a fans standpoint, I would much rather have and would be happy to pay for the two specific figures rather than a figure that makes one accurate version of a character and one "kinda okay" version of another.

Yes they said they were doing multiple waves, box sets and...... they left yhe last one vauge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as this proposed Dark Beast comes with a second new head sculpt for the regular Beast from Caliban wave, count me in. I'm staring at that figure on my shelf right now and I really don't like that head sculpt. I know they were going for X-men # 1 cover but the execution is just not that good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless Hasbro comes out with an extra non open mouth version of Beast, I will probably be skipping on this figure as I hate when they sculpt an open/angry mouth version & nothing else. They did that with the most recent Sabretooth as well as Hulk. Hasbro has to start including both open/snarling/yelling heads along with a closed mouth version for figures. Also this is the Jim Lee large sized 90s version & I can't wrap my head around Beast being as tall as Thor when standing upright. I hope Hasbro gets around to making an 80th anniversary classic George Perez or John Byrne Beast that is in his proper 5'11 hgt scale & includes multiple heads & hands. Beast is almost always in bent or crouching positions but even trying to crouch down the Jim Lee Beast , he is just too large for a classic Avengers display & with the great classic 80th anniv versions of the big 3, a classic Perez or Byrne Beast is essential.

Beast 1.jpg

Beast Avengers 160-01.jpg

Beast looking up at Sasquatch.jpg

Beast n Cap vs soldiers.gif

Beast Perez version.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Unless Hasbro comes out with an extra non open mouth version of Beast, I will probably be skipping on this figure as I hate when they sculpt an open/angry mouth version & nothing else. They did that with the most recent Sabretooth as well as Hulk. Hasbro has to start including both open/snarling/yelling heads along with a closed mouth version for figures. Also this is the Jim Lee large sized 90s version & I can't wrap my head around Beast being as tall as Thor when standing upright. I hope Hasbro gets around to making an 80th anniversary classic George Perez or John Byrne Beast that is in his proper 5'11 hgt scale & includes multiple heads & hands. Beast is almost always in bent or crouching positions but even trying to crouch down the Jim Lee Beast , he is just too large for a classic Avengers display & with the great classic 80th anniv versions of the big 3, a classic Perez or Byrne Beast is essential.

Beast 1.jpg

Beast Avengers 160-01.jpg

Beast looking up at Sasquatch.jpg

Beast n Cap vs soldiers.gif

Beast Perez version.jpg

On the other side of the fence the completely neutral sculpt they used for Sasquatch was a complete disappointment. He woulda looked much better with a snarling face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, monron999 said:

On the other side of the fence the completely neutral sculpt they used for Sasquatch was a complete disappointment. He woulda looked much better with a snarling face.

And 2 inches taller! Now he's the same hgt as the 80th anniv 2 pack classic Hulk. Hasbro really messed up by not making Walter 10' scale. That kills any future battles I was gonna have between Hulk & Sasquatch. Hasbro will make figures such as the Thing & Beast into outta scale giants when both are not supposed to be that big, but short change Sasquatch who's a 10 footer in the comics. Sasquatch needs to be re-done in the new 80th anniv wave as a deluxe scale figure.  John Byrne version, 10 inches tall, 2 alternate heads & 2 sets of open hands/closed fist hands. I'd easily pay $39.99 for that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gigantor said:

And 2 inches taller! Now he's the same hgt as the 80th anniv 2 pack classic Hulk. Hasbro really messed up by not making Walter 10' scale. That kills any future battles I was gonna have between Hulk & Sasquatch. Hasbro will make figures such as the Thing & Beast into outta scale giants when both are not supposed to be that big, but short change Sasquatch who's a 10 footer in the comics. Sasquatch needs to be re-done in the new 80th anniv wave as a deluxe scale figure.  John Byrne version, 10 inches tall, 2 alternate heads & 2 sets of open hands/closed fist hands. I'd easily pay $39.99 for that!

Lol! That particular figure is my biggest grinding point in the entire ML line. I was soooo looking forward to that one and knew it was gonna be one of those figures that was done well by TB and Hasbro was gonna be head and shoulders above it, but theeeeeen..........arrrgh! It is literally the same exact height as the Toybiz version and possibly a tad bit shorter. While aesthetically it looks great, it's just the wrong damn height. I and a few others ranted on that thing for months and everyone on this forum got tired of hearing it, but man it's just un-freakin'-forgivable in my eyes. Seriously, how much would it have cost them to make those thighs like a half inch longer? Hell, even make them a bit skinnier if you need the extra plastic. At this point I just want the thing to be noticeable taller than the tallest heavy hitter we have which is Juggernaut. I keep holding out that they're gonna eventually make a Alpha Flight box set (y'know how Hasbro has that tendency to re-release previous BAFs) where they will make that slight correction to the legs, cuz I'm pretty sure word got around to Hasbro, cuz though the situation didn't bother everyone quite as much as it did me, you and some others it bothered nearly everyone at least a little bit. Even non-fans of the character were of the opinion that if they expected them to build the BAF, the least they coulda done is get the height right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do a box set like this with Sasquatch at his correct 10' hgt plus a new Puck with correct articulation & normal sized head as the "BAF" had a pea sized cranium. I'd gladly fork over $150 for this. The main reason Sasquatch looks even smaller is that Hasbro is making characters such as the Hulk, Thing & Beast larger than they should be as well. Hulk figure should be at least a full head shorter than Walter & the Thing & Beast should bea full 2 heads shorter. Instead, Hasbro makes them almost Hulk sized as well. Rhino, Abom were also done too large hgt wise.  Due to that, the undersized Sasquatch now looks way less imposing when standing next to those other characters. The Wrecking crew is another group that Hasbro has to get right scale wise, they mailed that group in by using an outdated, outta scale 2010 T-bird buck. The new Thor/Herc bucks are perfect for a classic Wrecking crew re-do with only Wrecker needing a new upper body sculpt due to the jacket he wears. The wrecking crew members are all in the 6'4-6'6 hgt range with T-ball being the tallest at 6'6  They are not Hulk sized 7-8 footers. Be it TB or Hasbro figures, they tower over em all. Fix the crew Hasbro!

Alpha-Flight. group pic.jpg

Sasquatch picks up Thing.jpg

Sasquatch vs Thing.jpg

Wrecker outta scale.jpg

Wrecking crew thunderball-8.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a fan of the character, I would buy it. Would be great if it came with an alternate relaxed face head for regular Beast along with some hands and fists. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, monron999 said:

Even non-fans of the character were of the opinion that if they expected them to build the BAF, the least they coulda done is get the height right.

Yeah, I usually buy the rest of the pieces if I want at least 3 figures from the wave. I let it pass even having 3 pieces of it  because I felt it was too small. Thick enough, but too short. Not a fan of the character, but I have the TB variant version because I built Apocalypse, and this one just felt insufficient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish that we'd see a Dark Beast and I bet we eventually will, as well as a Gray Beast, and maybe I'd be able to find one at MSRP hahha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Do a box set like this with Sasquatch at his correct 10' hgt plus a new Puck with correct articulation & normal sized head as the "BAF" had a pea sized cranium. I'd gladly fork over $150 for this. The main reason Sasquatch looks even smaller is that Hasbro is making characters such as the Hulk, Thing & Beast larger than they should be as well. Hulk figure should be at least a full head shorter than Walter & the Thing & Beast should bea full 2 heads shorter. Instead, Hasbro makes them almost Hulk sized as well. Rhino, Abom were also done too large hgt wise.  Due to that, the undersized Sasquatch now looks way less imposing when standing next to those other characters. The Wrecking crew is another group that Hasbro has to get right scale wise, they mailed that group in by using an outdated, outta scale 2010 T-bird buck. The new Thor/Herc bucks are perfect for a classic Wrecking crew re-do with only Wrecker needing a new upper body sculpt due to the jacket he wears. The wrecking crew members are all in the 6'4-6'6 hgt range with T-ball being the tallest at 6'6  They are not Hulk sized 7-8 footers. Be it TB or Hasbro figures, they tower over em all. Fix the crew Hasbro!

Alpha-Flight. group pic.jpg

Sasquatch picks up Thing.jpg

Sasquatch vs Thing.jpg

Wrecker outta scale.jpg

Wrecking crew thunderball-8.jpg

wow I never knew the bucky cap was that out of scale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dark Beast needs to be more than a simple repaint of classic 90's blue Beast.  He's got the metal pants, which would ideally get sculpted lines, rather than how bland it comes across when just smooth and painted.  Also, he's got the extra braids of hair.  He doesn't need to be massive like the 90's Toy Biz Mutant Monsters one, but I would certainly like him to get the attention he deserves, beyond a repaint.

 

 

   -Zach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...







Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE