Debate: Banning "No one asked for this" term?

tarot

Should the collecting community ban the term "No one asked for this figure"?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should the collecting community ban the term "No one asked for this figure"?

• Yes
    • No

Keep it civil and debate.

Debate: Does anyone else think we should ban the term "No one asked for that figure" or the likes? I find it to be quite BS because there is always someone in the community who will be delighted that a certain figure is made. Take the recent announcement of Bro-Thor. Before he was announced people were practically begging Hasbro for him and now that he is made apparently "No one asked for him". Another example is Rock Python. While many were delighted to get another serpent society member, people were like "no one asked for that". I think that term should be ban from all collecting groups. Agreed and Disagree?

Disagree, if it upsets someone then let them deal with it one way or another. I have placed people on my ignore list not too long ago because I got tired of certain behaviors. My experience on this board has greatly improved.

Agree, it's a very broad term that limits our perceptions as a community of collectors. It's a childish way of seeking validation for not getting what we want, and with enough echo it can make collectors that were looking forward to something feel alienated or embarrassed for getting the figures they want at the expense of someone else's. For example, I sometimes feel like I'm wrong for only collecting MCU, like my collection isn't as worthy because it's mostly movie figures. All because "nobody asked for ANOTHER Black Panther". 

Then again, ban is a very big word, and it feels very definitive. Still, I think we could be a better community and celebrate what we get instead of hating on what we don't want.

LOL, well first there would be no way to actually ban such a term and there will always be people who feel because they think a certain way everyone must think that way or should think that way. Doesn't make it so but no matter what but there will always be folks who approach a conversation or debate in that fashion. 

Before anyone says it (again), this is just for fun and conversation. There is absolutely no way to ban the term as it would be considered an opinion and censoring. While I do hate that term, I think if people point out that they did want the figure, the person who posted the term would usually apologies.

Again this is just for fun and debating.

Ok, people often love to exaggerate when writing or talking,it’s common habit, there’s always will be some fan somewhere who asked for some figure, yes, but there’s also popular demand and for example when I said no one asked for ps4 Spider-Man alternate skin velocity suit, I didn’t literally mean no one wants it but rather pointed out that there wasn’t much demand for that, which was clearly obvious on Hasbro panel judging by reaction people had when figures were shown. 

22 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

For example, I sometimes feel like I'm wrong for only collecting MCU, like my collection isn't as worthy because it's mostly movie figures. All because "nobody asked for ANOTHER Black Panther". 

I'm sorry you've been made to feel that way. I hope I didn't contribute. MCU figures aren't my cup of tea, and I've definitely voiced my opinion on that before, but I hope I didn't do so in an alienating way. I don't look down on anybody collecting the things they like, regardless of my preferences, but I also don't put a lot of stock in other people's opinions when it comes to collecting the things I like, so it isn't difficult to imagine myself blurting out something insensitive without realizing. I'll do a better job of monitoring my tone and I'll make an effort to call people out if they're coming across too agressively.

28 minutes ago, Benn said:

I'm sorry you've been made to feel that way. I hope I didn't contribute. MCU figures aren't my cup of tea, and I've definitely voiced my opinion on that before, but I hope I didn't do so in an alienating way. I don't look down on anybody collecting the things they like, regardless of my preferences, but I also don't put a lot of stock in other people's opinions when it comes to collecting the things I like, so it isn't difficult to imagine myself blurting out something insensitive without realizing. I'll do a better job of monitoring my tone and I'll make an effort to call people out if they're coming across too agressively.

No problem at all man, I know it's something I work on myself too. I wasn't talking about you specifically, I don't recall a moment when you've made a comment that appeared disrespectful. 

I mean, there's a clear difference between voicing an opinion ("I don't like Skullbuster" is a personal preference) and making someone less for liking something ("Nobody asked for Skullbuster" is making people who asked for Skullbuster "nobody", without value). And while I agree that most of the time it's used in an hyperbolical manner, sometimes the follow up to it is what delivers the blow. 

I guess what I'm getting at is that growing up I was looked down on for liking the geeky stuff I like, by classmates and family, so I wouldn't want someone else to feel like that in a forum where they're supposed to belong for liking action figures and superheroes.

Personally it's a bit of a touchy subject. On one hand there are obscure figures that people don't know/understand, Citizen's V reaction when he was announced springs to mind, but others know and like the character. One the other hand you have figures like Pantless DP... which I still can't fathom 

1 hour ago, JayC said:

LOL, well first there would be no way to actually ban such a term and there will always be people who feel because they think a certain way everyone must think that way or should think that way. Doesn't make it so but no matter what but there will always be folks who approach a conversation or debate in that fashion. 

I know on some forums you can ban certain words and phrases

The phrase itself doesn't need to be banned. To me the phrase if the more pleasant equivalent of someone throwing a fit because a character they wanted hasn't been released yet.

Some cases the character, even if you don't want it could fill a gap in someone's collection. Either an unreleased character someone wants or a replacement for an out dated mold. Like the X-Force Wolverine, I asked if anyone could do a side by side with the Hit Monkey wave one, not because "how dare they do another Wolverine". But because I'm going to want the Wendigo head anyways and am curious if it is a decent upgrade since I don't have any of those Wolverine molds to compare. If the figure itself isn't a big enough improvement, then I know to just track down the BAF piece from someone who wants the figure but doesn't care about Wendigo.

It doesn't bother me when people say that.  I know they really mean "few asked for" or really "I personally didn't ask for".  It's just common to exaggerate everything these days it seems.  Everything is "amazing!", or "absolutely hilarious!",  or anything clever or smart makes someone a "genius".  Luis C.K. did a funny bit about it.  Or should I say Luis C.K. did a "hilarious" bit about it.  😋

I think as long as people engage in proactive and respectful discourse it's not a term that needs to be taboo.  There are genuinely some head-scratchers in Marvel Legends from time to time,  and in other lines.  The important part is to know when to stop escalating a negative conversation, and that's unfortunately not something that can be easily controlled, and there will always be people that have a hard time understanding that every figure has some amount of fans.    

Eh, can't really ban it of course but that phrase is a pet peeve of mine. basically it used to try and turn one's subjective opinion ("I don't want this figure and wish they had made a different character/version instead") into objective fact ("this figure is objectively too bad/obscure for anyone else to ever want").  So when people use it, i think its worth pushing back a little, if  i have the time and energy. 

The "its just hyperbole" defense usually  rings pretty hollow to me, as well.  It reminds me at least a tiny bit of a bully being called on bullying behavior or comments, and then saying "oh, i'm just kidding, its all OK, the two of us joke like this all the time, what's the matter, don't you have a sense of humor?"

But again, can't really stop it. Just don't really get why people can't say they don't like a figure without asserting that everyone else has to dislike it, too. But welcome to the internet, i guess.

We should never seek to restrict by rule, law, or social stigma any word, phrase, or statement that doesn’t specifically and directly hurt, oppress, or infringe upon the rights of another person/individual. I mean, c’mon. Discussing it, even “just for fun”, borders on hostile. We should know better. Cap would be ashamed of this. Let’s move on with our lives. 

Big nope, people. Big no. 

1 hour ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

We should never seek to restrict by rule, law, or social stigma any word, phrase, or statement that doesn’t specifically and directly hurt, oppress, or infringe upon the rights of another person/individual. I mean, c’mon. Discussing it, even “just for fun”, borders on hostile. We should know better. Cap would be ashamed of this. Let’s move on with our lives. 

Concur 1000%, what ever happened to sticks & stones? Some people just need thicker skin. I don't say "nobody asked for this" per se, but when I see someone asking for a character that either just came out a few months ago or wants a figure of a character wearing something they only wore for a single issue or 2 or just a panel or 3, that irks me due to the fact that there are a ton of way more established & deserving characters that have yet to get a figure in the 6' scale & yet here's someone asking for the flavor of the month fig.  I'll use the recent Hercules figure that Hasbro did, I don't recall a huge call amongst Herc fans for the modern NOW version, vast majority of us wanted these 2 iconic looks. I would like to think that Hasbro is not done with him & will be giving us fans figures of the son of Zeus sporting his 2 more popular looks. I believe Hercules rates the 80th anniv treatment & would come with both open hands/fists his Adamantine mace & sporting both a grinning/smirk look but not  the old Burger King smile & a serious , you are about to receive" the gift" head sculpt. I'd be ok with either one getting the 80 anniv treatment.

Hercules 80s look.jpg

Hercules vs Namor.jpg

HERCULES classic version.png

2 hours ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

Well, the argument seems to be that this is hurting people. And, if that's the case, social stigma might be the perfect tool for the job, at least for people who aren't receptive to the idea that they're hurting people.

43 minutes ago, Benn said:

Well, the argument seems to be that this is hurting people. And, if that's the case, social stigma might be the perfect tool for the job, at least for people who aren't receptive to the idea that they're hurting people.

Yes, if someone is attacking or directly insulting others (hurting them) because of the figures they chose or want to collect, then we should address those situations case by case. However, I don’t think someone saying “I don’t want this figure, why was it made?” is worthy of such consideration. So the real problem, in my eyes, is not with that specific sentiment but instead the problem is whatever additional or follow up sentiments or statements are expressed for the purpose of attacking someone who disagrees or does want said figure. We should instead focus on active cases of bullying, and not try to restrict people from offering their thoughts and opinions - that kinda turns into bullying. I understand that collectors of MCU figures might feel alienated by other collectors saying they dislike MCU figures, but people shouldn’t be forced to withhold their opinions just because of that - because then they become alienated. We can’t stop people from having feelings and opinions, but we can stop them from bullying people with different feelings and opinions. 

The goal of this thread, or so I think, should be to say “Hey, respect the opinions of others and don’t attack them for their opinions unless they’re doing you or others harm.” But, we shouldn’t be trying to say that people can’t b*tch and moan about how many DPs are made, or how many MCU characters are in a wave, because that’s censorship. Because whether you believe it or not, this discussion is leaning that way.

In the end, a better forum rule would be “No bullying and don’t be a jerk.”

On 7/31/2019 at 9:28 PM, sharky1999 said:

It doesn't bother me when people say that.  I know they really mean "few asked for" or really "I personally didn't ask for".  It's just common to exaggerate everything these days it seems.  Everything is "amazing!", or "absolutely hilarious!",  or anything clever or smart makes someone a "genius".  Luis C.K. did a funny bit about it.  Or should I say Luis C.K. did a "hilarious" bit about it.  😋

On 7/30/2019 at 10:22 PM, SpiderS said:

Ok, people often love to exaggerate when writing or talking,it’s common habit, there’s always will be some fan somewhere who asked for some figure, yes, but there’s also popular demand and for example when I said no one asked for ps4 Spider-Man alternate skin velocity suit, I didn’t literally mean no one wants it but rather pointed out that there wasn’t much demand for that, which was clearly obvious on Hasbro panel judging by reaction people had when figures were shown. 

I agree with you guys.

I wouldn't use this term myself. It is obviously an exaggerating term.  Hasbro wouldn't make a new figure that really "no one" asked for. If I see someone using it, I will not take it literally as they think "no one". It's more like a general expression that it is not as popular or hoped-for like some others.

If it is a figure I really wanted and someone is saying "no one asked for this" I wouldn't get offended or feel bad about it.  I would just make them aware there is at least one guy asking for it. Actually, now when I think about it, I would really like that Hasbro makes one that no one wants but me. 😜

Everyone has that one or two characters that speaks to them for reasons maybe even they can’t explain. For me, it was the Dane Whitman Black Knight. I just loved the character from my first exposure to him in the Absolute Vision storyline. He immediately became my favorite Avenger who I think peaked as an Avenger during the late comic 200’s till he left after issue 360(ish). I think this era of his characterization (the Gatherers, Killing the Supreme Intelligence, Starjammer Raza) is where he gained his most recognition. 

My first action figure of him was a pretty poor Wizard magazine exclusive that pretty much repainted an earlier Dread Knight toy. Then came Hasbro's first attempt in his Heroes for Hire costume ( that no one asked for, haha). But I couldn’t wait to get him, even though I could recognize that figures limitations. 

When the recent classic version was released last year I was elated. Really almost perfect. My only complaint was I wanted the chain mail to be gray and the angry portrait to be on the winged helmet and the more stoic expression on the wingless one (remember the Marvel Anniversary issue with the character borders that had the Knight with that same laid back face?) For fun, I bought 3 and dremmelled the angry face out of the wingless helmet, cut off the loin cloth and used an extra Multiple Man head to reflect  Dane’s look from those early appearances (before the 90’s gave him the required face stubble ,mullet and leather jacket). Looks pretty good too but the headless helmet is so flimsy.

Not sure how many people asked for the Black Knight but Hasbro adding three heads (unheard of for what many consider a C list character) pretty much gave me all the definitive looks for the character. For me it was action figure heaven. 

I hope everyone gets that character no one asked for that makes our hobby worth it.