Debate: Banning "No one asked for this" term?

tarot

Should the collecting community ban the term "No one asked for this figure"?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should the collecting community ban the term "No one asked for this figure"?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, McHogan said:

Everyone has that one or two characters that speaks to them for reasons maybe even they can’t explain. For me, it was the Dane Whitman Black Knight. I just loved the character from my first exposure to him in the Absolute Vision storyline. He immediately became my favorite Avenger who I think peaked as an Avenger during the late comic 200’s till he left after issue 360(ish). I think this era of his characterization (the Gatherers, Killing the Supreme Intelligence, Starjammer Raza) is where he gained his most recognition. 

My first action figure of him was a pretty poor Wizard magazine exclusive that pretty much repainted an earlier Dread Knight toy. Then came Hasbro's first attempt in his Heroes for Hire costume ( that no one asked for, haha). But I couldn’t wait to get him, even though I could recognize that figures limitations. 

When the recent classic version was released last year I was elated. Really almost perfect. My only complaint was I wanted the chain mail to be gray and the angry portrait to be on the winged helmet and the more stoic expression on the wingless one (remember the Marvel Anniversary issue with the character borders that had the Knight with that same laid back face?) For fun, I bought 3 and dremmelled the angry face out of the wingless helmet, cut off the loin cloth and used an extra Multiple Man head to reflect  Dane’s look from those early appearances (before the 90’s gave him the required face stubble ,mullet and leather jacket). Looks pretty good too but the headless helmet is so flimsy.

Not sure how many people asked for the Black Knight but Hasbro adding three heads (unheard of for what many consider a C list character) pretty much gave me all the definitive looks for the character. For me it was action figure heaven. 

I hope everyone gets that character no one asked for that makes our hobby worth it. 

You're not alone in wanting a classic BK. I was so stoked when I saw that Hasbro was making a figure of him & with not 2 but 3 different head sculpts. I sliced off the wings on my BK & made some cosmetic mods to it so I could have both a serious face BK & a pissed off BK.  Dane Whitman is a very integral part of the history of the Avengers & was a key player in the classic "Siege" of Avengers mansion story line when the Zemo led Masters of evil overran it & Mr Hyde beat the tar outta Dane who was too busy thinking of Jan liking Paladin.  He is more than worthy of a ML action figure. I'm just glad they didn't make him in the lame  jacket crazy 90s look. 

DSCF7559.JPG

DSCF7561.JPG

DSCF7567.JPG

DSCF7568.JPG

Mr Hyde vs BK.jpg

after seeing how outraged a chunk of people were about the reveal of White Rabbit and Superior Ock and how arms up in the air upset and angry they were, maybe we just need to realize that we sometimes need to tone down are disappointment and dislike for characters , I being someone who is super happy about White RAbbit and have been asking for her for years felt kinda exhaunsted hearing all of the cry babys , don't ban the term, but I think people need to be a bit more aware

not every figure is for everyone, but the figure is getting made because someone likes it and enough to warrant it's creation, therefore you are just wrong in sayin "nobody asked for this"

29 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

after seeing how outraged a chunk of people were about the reveal of White Rabbit and Superior Ock and how arms up in the air upset and angry they were, maybe we just need to realize that we sometimes need to tone down are disappointment and dislike for characters , I being someone who is super happy about White RAbbit and have been asking for her for years felt kinda exhaunsted hearing all of the cry babys , don't ban the term, but I think people need to be a bit more aware

not every figure is for everyone, but the figure is getting made because someone likes it and enough to warrant it's creation, therefore you are just wrong in sayin "nobody asked for this"

I am routinely outraged when I toy company makes a toy I don't particularly want to buy.

Just kidding.  Whenever there's a new Deadpool or MCU Iron Man I just shrug my shoulders and keep on walking.  Hasbro's making more than enough product to keep me otherwise occupied.

11 minutes ago, MonsterChris said:

Hasbro's making more than enough product to keep me otherwise occupied.

Exactly! I've actually used this point to defend the "too much, too fast" argument. I mean, sure, Hasbro's pumping out waves and figures faster than ever before (and faster than my wallet can keep up so I have to prioritise and cherry pick), but that just means that there is something for everyone!

11 minutes ago, MonsterChris said:

I am routinely outraged when I toy company makes a toy I don't particularly want to buy.

Just kidding.  Whenever there's a new Deadpool or MCU Iron Man I just shrug my shoulders and keep on walking.  Hasbro's making more than enough product to keep me otherwise occupied.

I feel the same, and honestly I am glad we get figures that not everybody wants it allows our wallets a chance to stop screaming and take a sigh of relief, so most people should be happy not every wave is star studded and packed entirely with the figures everybody wants or maybe every wave would end up being a vintage storm, rogue or beast , but then everybody out there who needs swim suit deadpool or taking a poop tony stark can be happy as well

A.) We shouldn’t senor people’s ability to communicate their opinion, especially in a forum which is designed to allow people to communicate their opinions.

B.) Don’t forget what it is we do here; we collect toys and memorabilia, we’re not arguing politics or making the world a better place.  If people want to #$## and moan about toys, we shouldn’t #$## and moan that they choose to do so.

C.) To people saying ‘nobody asked for this figure’, you’re wrong, somebody out their wants it.  AND there’s a figure you want or have that somebody thinks is a waste too, so calm the f down.

As others have stated, I just look at it as a wave that will save me lots of $$ cuz I may only like or want 1 or 3 of the figures in the wave. In the past 4 yrs I have only bought 2 entire waves & that was the X-Men Jugs BAF wave & the Spidey Kingpin wave & I only bought the KP wave for Fisk as I wasn't keeping any of the figs in that wave & have already sold off 3 of em. I did want everyone in the Jugs wave except for that Iceman. And now the classic version that I do want , has a damn line going down the center of his cranium/face so haven't pulled the trigger on him in the hopes that Hasbro will fix the issue & re-release him again. In the just recently announced Spidey wave, again, I'm just getting Vulture & Shang Chi & maybe the BAF, depending on who it is.

59 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

And now the classic version that I do want , has a damn line going down the center of his cranium/face so haven't pulled the trigger on him in the hopes that Hasbro will fix the issue & re-release him again.

I've seen you mention this, but I'm not sure what you mean. My one doesn't have a line down the center of his face. His chin looks a little weird for the character, but there's no line. I just inspected him close under the light. Are you sure you didn't just happen upon a bad one?

59 minutes ago, Benn said:

I've seen you mention this, but I'm not sure what you mean. My one doesn't have a line down the center of his face. His chin looks a little weird for the character, but there's no line. I just inspected him close under the light. Are you sure you didn't just happen upon a bad one?

I've seen at least 8 Icemen at a couple of different GS & they all have a line running down the side of his face or near dead center. I'm not the only one. I'm sure there are others that can verify what I'm saying. I'll keep looking in hopes that I find one with no imperfection in the cranium.

12 hours ago, Benn said:

It's not terribly noticeable in pictures, but the one I've seen live had a cut along the side of the nose running from the top of his head to the chin. It's kinda distracting, but not personally throwing me off.