Will 80th Anniversary Clearnace

komododragin

When the first 10 years line came out, I got the figures I wanted at full price, but a few months later those same figures went for clearance. Most of those figures such as Ultron Prime and the Thor: The Dark World set are still very cheap online. Will the same thing happen with the 80th Anniversary line or should we just get the figures at normal price.

Its hard to say because you've got a lot of comic figures that collectors are anxious for.  the mcu sets may be a different story but its hard to tell.  Not a lot of A-listers among the mcu sets, which makes it a harder sell to casual customers but maybe more appealing to collectors who already have figures for those A-listers.

I picked up the Grandmaster/Korg set but will wait for the rest to go on sale before getting them, if not i can live without them.

OTOH I got the Hulk set and definitely plan to get Cap, Iron Man, and Thor even if i gotta pay full price, which isn't bad since they aren't super-expensive.  I'm gonna hold off on Colossus/Juggs since i have version of both already but i would probably grab that set if i see it on sale. Basically my advice would be not to hold off on getting any of the comic figs if they are must-haves for your collection.

I feel like some of the MCU sets might linger and end up on clearance, because they're largely somewhat obscure characters. Quite a few are cult favourites, though, so who knows? I'd bet money that none of the comic sets will end up on clearance. It's almost all classic Avengers, classic X-Men, or fan-channel exclusives (that will have generally lower distribution levels). Get your Hulk and Jean quickly, if you want them!

8 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

I don't like risking not getting a figure I really want, so I prioritise my budget around the figures I can't afford to miss and hope for the best.

Yeah, I think that's wise. Sometimes it's obvious a figure will pegwarm, but usually it's not, so it's rarely worth the risk.

7 hours ago, CO_Alex said:

I think most areas scalpers are buying the 80th Anniversary Legends like crazy hoping to double or triple their retail worth.  I’m not taking any chances on waiting for these to clearance if they do eventually.    

You may be right, especially right now when everyone's searching for it.. especially the iron spidey set since not everyone lives near a Target.  That said, my experience was that i had a chance to buy any of the 10th anniv sets for msrp or below at one point or another, so I'm not too worried.  Easy for me to say since i'm not planning to get any more sets unless i see one on sale, only aiming to buy Thor, Iron Man, and Cap.

I dont collect the MCU figures but in my country basically every single 10th anniversary figure at some point got to discount (the only figure that sold out before it ever got to discount was the Ironman single carded figure), but my country is also kind of weird when it comes to Legends (MCU are usually the figures that sell out the most and people buy more of, even lesser MCU characters sell just as much if not more than the bigger named Comic Based characters) that being said I only collect the Comic figures (and not all of them) but Im not leaving it to chance and I allready preordered the 3 single carded avengers (ironman, cap and thor) and the 2-Packs that have been on preorder so far (juggernaut pack and hulk pack), I could probably have waited and most likely some of these will eventually get discounted but since I really wanted these figure I pulled the trigger, Ill most likely also buy on preorder the Jean Grey 3-Pack and the X-Factor 2-pack once those come up here, that being said Im almost certain the MCU packs will be on sale by the end of the year/begining of 2020, those havent been selling all that well in preorders (the only 2-pack that sold out during their preorder time have been the Ironman and Iron Spider, and the Corvus & Loki 2-Packs) 

• 4 weeks later...

Anecdotally, i would say the only set i've really seen selling is the Colossus/Juggs 2-pack.  My local stores have moved a few of the Skurge/Hela and Korg/Grandmaster but they aren't flying off shelves.  Ghost/Luis seems to be the least popular and barely selling (great figures, tho!).  So I'd predict that all three of these mcu sets will end up on clearance at some point.

Hard to say how 80th Thor and Iron Man are doing, seems like there are tons of them so i'm guessing they will be cheap eventually too. Cap is a different story.

btw if you haven't managed to take advantage of the target sale to get $10 off Colossus/Juggs,  amazon is offering a $10 coupon for the set right now. $50 is a much more palatable price for that duo, imo.

Still haven't seen the Iron Spidey/ Iron Man 2-pack at my local Targets, yet.

My Guesses:

Buy Now If You Can

80th Cap (WM Exclusive)

Iron Man/Iron Spider pack (Target Exclusive)

Hulk/Wolverine Pack (Fan Channel Exclusive)

On the Bubble (Could go either way)

Colossus/Juggernaut 2-pack

80th Classic Thor

Most of the "variant" figures (Only because they're all fan-channel exclusives, IIRC)

Probably Gonna Hit Clearance

80th Iron Man

Luis/Ghost 2-pack (#1 Contender as they're already pegwarming)

Hela/Skurge 2-pack

Grandmaster/Korg 2-pack

Cap/Peggy 2-pack

As far as the climate of sales here in Canada, it seems as though most retailers seem to have quite a bit of 80th Anniversary stuff and it's not moving very quickly, I could easily find 2 or more of each release (minus Target Ex, Wal-Mart Ex, Amazon yes but of course doesnt count), If it's anything like what happened with the 10th Anniversary stuff it will all go on sale and currently still be on sale, I do however forsee eventually the comic oriented stuff to slowly disappear and become hard to obtain, the movie stuff not so much

Yeah, my local WM had Iron Man for $15 and both Luis/Ghost and Hela/Skurge for $30.   Good value imo but money's tight right now so i'm not gonna splurge on skurge as tempting as it is (i laready have iron man).  These mcu packs are both great but just not really essential characters for my collection.  

Kinda surprises me that hasbro thought a luis/ghost pack for $50 would sell.  At least with Hela/Skurge i know the original hela was somewhat scarce after awhile, and given Ragnarok's popularity i can see making a Skurge figure. 

tbh it feels like anything ML related with a price point over $20 is a tough sell, exclusives  excepted (sometimes).  I think casual customers balk at the price and collectors are (on the whole) patient/savvy enough to play the waiting game for sets they deem unlikely to sell out.

2 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

tbh it feels like anything ML related with a price point over $20 is a tough sell, exclusives  excepted (sometimes).  I think casual customers balk at the price and collectors are (on the whole) patient/savvy enough to play the waiting game for sets they deem unlikely to sell out.

I think this may be the reason the line eventually crashes. I'm guilty of doing that too though, I'm patiently waiting for Blink to keep dropping in price to get her.

Then again, I only play the waiting game with figures I could be fine not getting. Luis and Ghost weren't, even if they're the first to start dropping in price.

15 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

I think this may be the reason the line eventually crashes. I'm guilty of doing that too though, I'm patiently waiting for Blink to keep dropping in price to get her.

Then again, I only play the waiting game with figures I could be fine not getting. Luis and Ghost weren't, even if they're the first to start dropping in price.

I think with the sheer amount of product hasbro is releasing, collectors can hardly be faulted for not running out and buying  a bunch of $50 sets.  If sales are poor, worst case perhaps hasbro will scale back on the number of different sets they make, or rethink the types of characters they are including with them.  From what i can tell,  the 80th comic sets seemed to sell well.

But I'm with you, i tend to be wary of playing the waiting game with figures i really don't want to end up missing out on.  Paid full price for Hulk/Wolvie, managed to get $10 off both the Colossus/Juggs and Korg/Grandmaster set, and i'm OK with that. I probably could have saved money by waiting longer but my local Target and WM have sold all of their sets and who knows if they will get more in stock. Them's the breaks.

I think the mcu sets will probably move pretty quickly at $30 but we'll see.

As far as Blink goes, yeah it does seem like she and Forge are due for a price drop.  My local WM currently has these two, as well as Nighthawk, Loki and couple of Songbirds (??) in stock.  THe other WM i go to is similar but with some 6-arm spideys and Kree Sentry wave figures still. While its possible that we could see more cases of this year's waves show up in future months/years, thus far it seems like retailers have done a pretty good job gauging consumer interest as most of the waves seem to have come and gone pretty quickly.  Good news for the health of the line overall but not so great for those of us hoping for discount prices!!