What X-Men heavy hitters do we have left?

Benn

11 hours ago, Benn said:

As for the comics being transient--or somehow worse--now, I hear that a lot, but it only seems true to me to a small degree. Nostalgia paints people's perceptions. Comic quality has always been inconsistent, and comic characters have always had their costumes updated over and over again. We're definitely in a period where comics are more mainstream than they've ever been, and Marvel seems to have become obsessed with giving each new story arc a brand new title and numbering, but the constant reboots are largely superficial.

I don't read the comics anymore, but and I didn't mean to cast aspersions on them. I definitely feel the pull of nostalgia, and agree it covers a multitude of weaknesses. I didn't like the influence of the movies on the comics (it should have been the other way around) and I just don't understand the constant reboots. I understand the "new" factor of it, I guess, I just think it's annoying. Or it would be if I read them. I'm not trying to be a classical chauvinist though. I'm sure I sound that way sometimes. I'm old.

2 hours ago, Chunkylover said:

I don't read the comics anymore, but and I didn't mean to cast aspersions on them. I definitely feel the pull of nostalgia, and agree it covers a multitude of weaknesses. I didn't like the influence of the movies on the comics (it should have been the other way around) and I just don't understand the constant reboots. I understand the "new" factor of it, I guess, I just think it's annoying. Or it would be if I read them. I'm not trying to be a classical chauvinist though. I'm sure I sound that way sometimes. I'm old.

Nah, I get it. And the X-Men have had a lot of bad, or just generally unexciting, storylines lately. Ostensibly the frequent rebooting of titles is to make it clear when storylines start and finish, so readers can "jump on" without feeling like they need to catch up, and to help ease transitions between creative teams, but part of it is definitely the (I'd have to guess, increasingly inaccurate) idea that first issues always sell best. I just think a lot of people look back at the 70s, 80s, or 90s and mistake the magic of discovery for better or more consistent storytelling. I didn't like the influence of the movies on the comic costumes either, but Grant Morrison's New X-Men was still one of the best, most-compelling X-Men eras of all time. I hated the way it looked, but the storytelling was top notch. I definitely feel really nostalgic about 80s and 90s comics too, but there actually has been an awful lot of great work in comics since the turn of the century. New X-Men (Morrison), Astonishing X-Men (Whedon), Uncanny X-Force (Remender), and Wolverine & the X-Men (Aaron) are some of the stand-outs, with the latter not being my cup of tea, despite being important and widely loved.

53 minutes ago, Benn said:

Nah, I get it. And the X-Men have had a lot of bad, or just generally unexciting, storylines lately. Ostensibly the frequent rebooting of titles is to make it clear when storylines start and finish, so readers can "jump on" without feeling like they need to catch up, and to help ease transitions between creative teams, but part of it is definitely the (I'd have to guess, increasingly inaccurate) idea that first issues always sell best. I just think a lot of people look back at the 70s, 80s, or 90s and mistake the magic of discovery for better or more consistent storytelling. I didn't like the influence of the movies on the comic costumes either, but Grant Morrison's New X-Men was still one of the best, most-compelling X-Men eras of all time. I hated the way it looked, but the storytelling was top notch. I definitely feel really nostalgic about 80s and 90s comics too, but there actually has been an awful lot of great work in comics since the turn of the century. New X-Men (Morrison), Astonishing X-Men (Whedon), Uncanny X-Force (Remender), and Wolverine & the X-Men (Aaron) are some of the stand-outs, with the latter not being my cup of tea, despite being important and widely loved.

Thanks for the response. I didn’t stick with New X-men long enough because of the art primarily.

Sort of related, is there a forum for discussing the comics here?

Honestly, Morrison's New X-Men turned me off the X-Men entirely after having been a loyal reader since roughly around Uncanny #200.  And I say that as someone that pretty religiously followed and loved Morrison's DC work prior to that (and has enjoyed a lot of his other stuff since).  It wasn't just the art though (but it definitely played a part...Quitely is not my cup of tea save in particular circumstances).  It was the rest of it, too.

But I digress "Heavy Hitter" certainly is very subjective.  "Glaring Ommissions" or "Long Overdues" we have aplenty but if you're talking characters and versions of characters that retailers are likely to consider good "Core character anchors" for a wave then it's a lot more thin outside of endless Wolverine and Deadpool variants.  MAAAAYBE Storm and Cyclops could count as "core characters" now too but that seems a bit of a stretch.

1 hour ago, Jmacq1 said:

But I digress "Heavy Hitter" certainly is very subjective.  "Glaring Ommissions" or "Long Overdues" we have aplenty but if you're talking characters and versions of characters that retailers are likely to consider good "Core character anchors" for a wave then it's a lot more thin outside of endless Wolverine and Deadpool variants.  MAAAAYBE Storm and Cyclops could count as "core characters" now too but that seems a bit of a stretch.

That’s what I wonder too. I think FA Storm would be a big seller. Maybe Warpath or Thunderbird. I don’t know.

Maybe we need categories. Iconic/historic look, Hot modern look, classic look recently revived or revived in a popular run. Version necessary for team completion. Any others?

13 hours ago, Chunkylover said:

Sort of related, is there a forum for discussing the comics here?

I don't think so, but I'd really enjoy that.

9 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

Honestly, Morrison's New X-Men turned me off the X-Men entirely after having been a loyal reader since roughly around Uncanny #200.  And I say that as someone that pretty religiously followed and loved Morrison's DC work prior to that (and has enjoyed a lot of his other stuff since).  It wasn't just the art though (but it definitely played a part...Quitely is not my cup of tea save in particular circumstances).  It was the rest of it, too.

Really? What bothered you? I wasn't all that enamored by his focus on characters with solely visual, or otherwise impractical, mutations. I got it; it doesn't make any sense that every mutant would have a badass, useful power. It does make sense that the mutants who star in a super hero comic primarily would, though. And no matter how hard he tried to spin it, he was writing a super hero comic. Despite that complaint, I thought it was a compelling story.

8 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

Personally I enjoyed Morrison's run. Granted I read in TPB form so I was able to read through it without waiting for each issue to come out. That may have made a difference. I enjoyed the "who done it" with the shooting/shattering of Emma Frost.

I definitely agree with you on the Quietly aspect. His art is definitely not my cup of tea either.

Not really trying to get into an argument over it, but I'll just sum it up as:  Morrison's idea of who some of the long-standing X-Men characters were/are and my view did not sync up.  In particular (but not only) his treatment of Magneto (and yes, I know Marvel rapidly retconned that but that didn't change at the time what Morrison's intent was).

Maybe I'm just a nostalgic fanboy, but after many years of Claremont's development of Magneto, Morrison swooping in and declaring he was nothing more than a "mad old terrorist twat" didn't sit well.  To be fair I hadn't been fond of Lobdell "reverting him to type" towards the end of his run, either.

6 hours ago, Jmacq1 said:

Not really trying to get into an argument over it, but I'll just sum it up as:  Morrison's idea of who some of the long-standing X-Men characters were/are and my view did not sync up.  In particular (but not only) his treatment of Magneto (and yes, I know Marvel rapidly retconned that but that didn't change at the time what Morrison's intent was).

Maybe I'm just a nostalgic fanboy, but after many years of Claremont's development of Magneto, Morrison swooping in and declaring he was nothing more than a "mad old terrorist twat" didn't sit well.  To be fair I hadn't been fond of Lobdell "reverting him to type" towards the end of his run, either.

That's fair. It doesn't match my take, but I could see it.

Even though I got into X-MEN in the early '90s at the end of the Jim Lee run and during the animated series, I don't feel a nostalgic longing for that era. I prefer Claremont's first hundred issues on the title, the era of Cockrum, Byrne, and Smith, so those are the X-Men figures I would like to see.

On the heroic side, the X-Men I would like to see are:

• Storm (original costume designed by Dave Cockrum)
  • Kitty Pryde (either in her classic training uniform or the blue Excalibre look)
  • Magik (classic New Mutants costume with eldritch armored arm and a reasonably sized sword)
  • Rogue (original green hooded costume, short hair)
  • Cyclops (basically the same one from the Dark Phoenix two-pack with the optic blast features from the new Vintage wave)

Villains

• Toad
  • The Blob (I really haven't got a good look at the BAF version; if that works, fine)
  • Mastermind
  • White Queen (classic Hellfire Club Emma Frost)
  • Pyro
  • Destiny
  • Avalanche

And since this is all about flight-of-fancy wishes and whatnot, sure what the hell? I would really like four or five 18 inch tall Sentinels priced at $20 like a normal figure. 😄 

By heavy hitters, I'm thinking you mean most popular/desired over the characters' actual super powers. If so we all know its gotta be Angel, in the original Neal Adams blue/white (or later, red variant) costume. If they can make the wings half as good as on the old Universe 4" version, they'll have a best seller. Close after that will be Storm in her original outfit, Banshee and Thunderbird. Throw in Marvel Girl in her green dress as a bonus.

Off topic, let me say I just got Nightcrawler. Along with Colossus, these are some of the best, most comic-accurate versions yet. I am damn proud and happy to have them. The folks who made these ought to take a bow.

Seriously.....outstanding work. It is a GREAT time to be a superhero comic book fan!

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, enzosaurusrex said:

I'd like a Shadowcat with puffy sleeves and Rachel Summers. Of any sort. Not a fan of the green and yellow Bachalo(?) costume that came out in the Brood wave.

I agree. I have the Shadowcat from the Giant-Man wave or something. It works. I would like one that looks more like the Byrne era, and the Excalibur era. Phoenix II hound outfit would be a good restart for Rachel.

31 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

Only " heavy hitters" I want done are classic versions of Angel, Banshee & Havok. All my other X-men wants have been filled. Just need those 3 & I'm good to go. X villians is a different story as we need a few such as classic versions of Avalanche, Blob, Destiny & 1st app Sabretooth.

Which Havok? Didn't Hasbro do one? Banshee could use an update, as everyone knows. More villains would be good. Finishing Mystique's brotherhood and Freedom Force would be cool.