Marvel Legends Beta Ray Bill - Who did it better? Hasbro or Toy Biz

JayC

Today I do a comparison of the classic Marvel Legends Beta Ray Bill figure from Toy Biz and the new modern Hasbro version. You can purchase the Hasbro version from Megalopolis.Toys.

Check out images for both figures below in our GALLERY and be sure to share your own thoughts about them in the COMMENTS SECTION. Which one do you prefer?

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill01.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill02.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill03.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill04.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill05.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill06.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill07.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill08.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill09.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill10.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill11.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill12.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill13.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill14.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill15.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill16.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill17.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill18.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill19.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill20.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill21.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill22.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill23.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill24.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill25.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill26.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill27.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill28.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill29.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill30.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill31.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill32.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill33.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill34.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill35.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill36.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill37.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill38.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill39.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill40.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill41.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill42.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill43.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill44.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill45.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill46.jpg

Hasbro-Vs-Toy-Biz-Marvel-Legends-Beta-Ray-Bill47.jpg

I think it all comes down to taste here, both are amazing looking figures. The only real shortcoming from hasbro is the lack of any detail on the legs, but the detriments to the ToyBiz is in the way the hips look and how far apart the cape is.

I prefer the simplicity of the newer design. The old one was one of Toybiz's finest work but aesthetically that was based off his late 80's/90's "overly complicated" design period which was fine for the time but it really shows the figures age. The characters costumes in modern times seem to be made for function rather than flash.

4 hours ago, memocromatico said:

I think it all comes down to taste here, both are amazing looking figures. The only real shortcoming from hasbro is the lack of any detail on the legs, but the detriments to the ToyBiz is in the way the hips look and how far apart the cape is.

At first I thought the lines on the legs were missing on the figure if that is what you mean, but they are actually there but they don't stand out at all, not that I think they stand out to much in the comics. There is really very little fault on the Hasbro figure if you like the modern look. I lean towards the classic myself but the modern look isn't bad.

For me, it's the Toy Biz version, and it's not particularly close. Off the top of my head I can't think of one Hasbro figure I like better than the Toy Biz version. TB just used a higher quality of plastic and used a lot more articulation, which is a big selling point for me. The one thing that Hasbro seems to do better with for the most part is paint. Hasbro does a fine job just as Mattel does for DC, but Toy Biz will always be my fave, personally. I still have all of my Toy Biz figures and usually only buy Hasbro figures if it's a character they've never made before in the 6" scale (like the recent Silver Samurai, Boom-Boom, etc.)

Great minds think alike Michiganjfrog, I thought about the same figure but not a leg swap, I don't have the confidence in my skills for that. I thought about swapping heads and painting the body orange. and the chestplate. but after some calm thought decided against it. Hope your way works out though, let us know.

1 hour ago, silverback said:

Great minds think alike Michiganjfrog, I thought about the same figure but not a leg swap, I don't have the confidence in my skills for that. I thought about swapping heads and painting the body orange. and the chestplate. but after some calm thought decided against it. Hope your way works out though, let us know.

yea im really thinking of  doing it. I gotta look around on ebay and check some prices . Ive never popped ML apart but I don't think it would be too bad, at least in theory!