Jump to content
DarthOdette

Spider-Man PS4 Legends: Hasbro Approaching it the Wrong Way?

Recommended Posts

So at SDCC ‘19 they showed two new Legends based off of skins and suits from the 2019 PS4 Spider-Man game.  These are a part of the next wave of Spider-Man Legends, due to be out January of 2020 so in all likelihood they’ll be out late November.  These two PS4 themed figures will be the third the game after the GameStop exclusive spidey.  

My question is this: is Hasbro handling this extremely successful game the wrong way?  We already witnessed them miss out on the massive success of Into the Spider-Verse, and now they seem to be letting this title slip them by as well.  Wouldn’t it be better to maybe make a wave dedicated to the game?  Include characters like Rhino and Doc Ock and then include various suits and skins that exist outside of the game.  

 

I hate to see them miss out on potential success once again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think they are. There was no way gauge the game's success, also given waves and figures take a few months to design, they are probably now getting around to what to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, leokearon said:

I don't think they are. There was no way gauge the game's success, also given waves and figures take a few months to design, they are probably now getting around to what to do.

Maybe, let’s just hope for their (Hasbro) sake, it’s not too late.  I’m sure people will still buy it, don’t get me wrong.  It would’ve just been better if they could’ve made product at the height of the game’s popularity 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DarthOdette said:

Maybe, let’s just hope for their (Hasbro) sake, it’s not too late.  I’m sure people will still buy it, don’t get me wrong.  It would’ve just been better if they could’ve made product at the height of the game’s popularity 

I feel that way sometimes with other franchises but the PS4 spidey games the best selling superhero game of all time so I don't think the hype will go down until a sequel is out, I agree that I would have liked to seen a wave at launch but I guess its better late than never

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean I think they missed the initial window for it, but there was no way to know how popular (and amazingly spectacular) that game was going to be, made all the more obvious by making the Advanced Suit a store exclusive.  I love the new looks, but also want to see a complete classic rogues gallery before they start on to alternate versions.  Also, the new versions of Rhino and Scorpion alone would require massive amounts of new tooling and dedicated sculpts.  They probably should cut a deal with GameStop to pump out some exclusives from the game, except Mr. Negative, he needs to be a mass release.  But I like the way they're putting the suits in the standard waves, it's a two-for-one in my book, checking off both Spider-Verse and Spider-Man PS4.  

Of course you never know, maybe Hasbro will give the game the same treatment as the 10 Years and 80th lines, a few sets of 2 packs could knock out the Sinister Six quite nicely.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DarthOdette said:

So at SDCC ‘19 they showed two new Legends based off of skins and suits from the 2019 PS4 Spider-Man game.  These are a part of the next wave of Spider-Man Legends, due to be out January of 2020 so in all likelihood they’ll be out late November.  These two PS4 themed figures will be the third the game after the GameStop exclusive spidey.  

My question is this: is Hasbro handling this extremely successful game the wrong way?  We already witnessed them miss out on the massive success of Into the Spider-Verse, and now they seem to be letting this title slip them by as well.  Wouldn’t it be better to maybe make a wave dedicated to the game?  Include characters like Rhino and Doc Ock and then include various suits and skins that exist outside of the game.  

 

I hate to see them miss out on potential success once again.

How did they miss out on Into the Spiderverse?  ML covered all the heroes between lizard wave, sp//dr wave, and the miles/gwen 2-pack. The only omission was middle-age spidey with gut and world-weary Peter Parker head.  And aside from Lady Ock, they covered Prowler last year, Tombstone had been done already, and Kingpin and Scorpion came out this year. True, the looks weren't movie accurate but there were lots  of other toys they put out that were, such as a movie accurate sp//dr with Peni.   I assume that Hasbro didn't feel the movie aesthetic was a good fit for MLs but they certainly tried to get all the characters out there, just as they did for Venom and Dark Phoenix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. They arent handling it wrong. They are just using the success of the game to do more spidey variants thay people want. The armor mk 3 was am armor that was resquested by comic fans. And the velocity suit got a major arc in the spin off comic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, michiganjfrog said:

I feel that way sometimes with other franchises but the PS4 spidey games the best selling superhero game of all time so I don't think the hype will go down until a sequel is out, I agree that I would have liked to seen a wave at launch but I guess its better late than never

Fair enough 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

now that I think about it, i think rhino would be the only one I would really flip for and taskmaster but will be getting an MCU TM soon

ill be getting the velocity suit spider though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

How did they miss out on Into the Spiderverse?  ML covered all the heroes between lizard wave, sp//dr wave, and the miles/gwen 2-pack. The only omission was middle-age spidey with gut and world-weary Peter Parker head.  And aside from Lady Ock, they covered Prowler last year, Tombstone had been done already, and Kingpin and Scorpion came out this year. True, the looks weren't movie accurate but there were lots  of other toys they put out that were, such as a movie accurate sp//dr with Peni.   I assume that Hasbro didn't feel the movie aesthetic was a good fit for MLs but they certainly tried to get all the characters out there, just as they did for Venom and Dark Phoenix.

Idk man looking at the Mafex into the spiderverse figures, I feel like Hasbro really missed out on the opportunity to capitalize on it and really give it their all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think they are handling it wrong, it takes time to guage the success of such things, and it also takes time to produce the figures, I personally don't care about seeing any of these figures to be honest, I'd much prefer seeing some comic spidey suits and spiderverse characters before these video games suits, but if people want em awesome, they get them, I just have no interest at all. I think they are a strange addition to the Legends line doesn't seem all entirely right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think so.  Much as with movie and comic-based figures, you typically need to mix and match, so you know that you're appealing to at least one part of the collecting community or another.  If you go all-in in a single wave, you may alienate people who don't care about the game, for example.  Like, if the whole wave was PS4 Spidey-based, including the BAF, and it didn't do as well as usual, they might be discouraged from doing any more figures from it, right off the bat.

 

 

   -Zach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE