Larger Build-A-Figures

komododragin

The sizes for certain marvel legends build-a-figures are appropriate, but some are way undersized. What are some of the ways they can give us more accurate sized build-a-figures? I think a two wave system would work for some of the more popular characters. If we can get them, which characters do you think deserve a bigger release? I would like them to do Galactus, Annihilus, Apocalypse, and Giant-Man.

A size of a character is only one factor of a baf. There is also design and sculpt. Alot of the time the design of a character is so unique that making it the baf seems to be appropriate. This leads to (most of the time) unique sculpting for that figure to be done. Thus they make that figure the baf because of it.  

For truly large-scale figures, I would rather Hasbro just release them as special deluxe figures like they're doing with the new MCU Giant Man, or like they did with the "Days of Future Past" Sentinel and Wolverine set. Instead of asking collectors to buy 12-14 figures in order to build a Galactus, just release him as a special set for $100 or $120 bucks (and feel free to include one of his heralds, like a reissued Silver Surfer or Firelord or Terrax.

I've got over 70 Marvel Legends at this point and I have yet to complete a single build-a-figure because I don't buy complete waves because I don't like every character in each wave--except for the first two vintage waves, which, ironically, didn't come with BAF parts. I would love for Hasbro to release some taller/bigger figures, like Galactus, Mephisto, M.O.D.O.K., Giant-Man, Black Goliath, the Watcher, etc. on their own, without having to get a X-Force gray Deadpool or something.

I think a BAF should be related to a specific wave such as an all Ironman related wave can have a 10 ' classic Titanium man as the BAF

An Avengers wave can have a classic Pym Giantman/Goliath in 12' scale or a Masters of evil Eric Jolsten Goliath in it.

X-Men wave can have a classic DOFP Sentinel in 12' scale or an 8' scale Nimrod

An 80th wave deluxe Galactus would be awesome & would need to be in at least 16' scale

For the upcoming Black Panther movie, since it will feature Namor in it, the BAF can be a 12' scale classic Orca.

I keep most of the BAFs at 1 ft tall as asides from Galactus, I feel foot tall BAF characters would be big enough to satisfy all fans of the ol school BAFs.

Larger BAFs is a bad idea, there is no feasible way of releasing them.  The options would be:

1. Larger BAF parts in a  standard wave: This will probably just led to higher prices to accommodate the larger BAF parts
  2. More figures in the wave each with a BAF part: Given how hard it is to get all the parts in a standard sized wave, this is just making things harder
  3. 1 BAF -2 Waves: A terrible idea, it means more figures to buy that you may not want. Also what if one of the waves fails to appear you are stuck with half a figure. It has happened before.

It would be better and smarter to release larger scale figures individually at a larger price point.

2 hours ago, leokearon said:

Larger BAFs is a bad idea, there is no feasible way of releasing them.  The options would be:

1. Larger BAF parts in a  standard wave: This will probably just led to higher prices to accommodate the larger BAF parts
  2. More figures in the wave each with a BAF part: Given how hard it is to get all the parts in a standard sized wave, this is just making things harder
  3. 1 BAF -2 Waves: A terrible idea, it means more figures to buy that you may not want. Also what if one of the waves fails to appear you are stuck with half a figure. It has happened before.

It would be better and smarter to release larger scale figures individually at a larger price point.

Agree 100 percent. Unfortunately the days of large BAFs like Galactus and Sentinels are long gone. I can't even imagine them even doing anything the size of the Hulkbuster anymore. On the surface a 2 wave BAF seems like a good idea, but you gotta understand that we as hardcore fans would be okay with this, but not so much for the casual fan. If they don't get immediate satisfaction they'll lose interest and get it somewhere else. The Fin Dang Foom project was worth a try and though I was able to finish mine, I know very few others who didn't have to go third party or Evilbay. They just weren't able to distribute both waves equally and a lot of people got stuck with half a BAF. And then the casual fan just abandoned all hope. Personally I'm down to try it again, see if they can work out the kinks. Of course I think the nominal thug to do would be 2 different waves being released simultaneously. Say an Avengers wave and a FF wave with half a figure each. I think if you could make it where the BAF could be completed within a shorter gap of time and make sure distribution stays consistant you could guarantee the general masses would stay interested. Ultimately I think the only option for any of these big figures are with a 2 pack premium set in the $100-$150 range with one 6 inch figure and one extra large figure.

I don't even see why they need to go down the HasLab route (which I think is a bad idea), they could just make really large scale figures like TF's Titan Class. They even bad a new Size Class because one TF wouldn't fit into scale with the others, so I don't see why they can't do that with marvel Legends

19 minutes ago, BludChylde said:

I'd hate to see the price of that figure. Probably much cheaper to get a decent Halloween costume.

I'm actually thinking of pulling exactly that! Getting the prop helmet, building a poseable foam+wire body to put a costume on, and just build a diorama around it. Or you know, just getting the boots and that's pretty much it if it's on a shelf.

Yes, the struggle between what we'd like and what (Hasbro and the market) would deem feasible. While I don't see any reason to make Annihilus any larger than, say, the Sauron BAF was, Goliath and the Sentinel should be larger. But along with the increased size, the articulation has to match. Agree however that its unlikely Hasbro will put out an even larger figure without a whopping sales price to match it, in which case a lot of us couldn't afford that (yet the factory wont see a profit unless they jack up said price).

I think deluxe releases, especially through the "fan channel" would work great.  I wouldn't object to a multi-wave BAF, but it would require two waves in a row in my opinion to work best.  And whether or not both waves were perfect and I liked all the figures, if the theme or BAF was good enough I'd do it.  

The Sentinels can be made in a scale of 10' up to 16', they don't have to be any bigger than that. If Hasbro is gonna give us DOFP J Byrne Sentinels in the 16' scale but the price point for that wave is gonna be $24.99 , I'm more than fine with that & would get 3 waves to build 3 Omega class Sentinels. Now if they're gonna keep em at the 10-12 scale, I'd say $21.99 per fig is good. Maybe they need to give deluxe BAF 16' scaled characters such as Galactus, Sentinels, re-done Kree Sentry in it's correct scale to EE or Amazon. And no, that SDCC Sentinel is not the answer. Limited mobility/articulation makes it a very dull figure. I had 3 of em back when they came out & sold em off a couple of yrs ago. I only have 1 TB Sentinel & that is the best version of the 2. Incredible sculpt & great amount of articulation plus it came with detention coils. Scalper prices on those TB Sentinels would collapse if Hasbro were to announce that they're doing Sentinels again. Greedy people want $200 for them! I could understand $100-$125. My main preference are the DOFP Sentinels but It would be great if they did versions of these other Sentinels I posted. The ones fighting the Reavers are smaller & can be done in the 10' scale. Sentinels are army builders, Hasbro would make more $$ out of this character than any other BAF as only the Kree Sentry is the other potential army builder but not as popular or well known as the Sentinels. 

Sentinel Reavers 1.jpg

Sentinels days-of-future-past.png

Sentinels vs New Mutants 2.jpg

Sentinels vs New Mutants.jpg

Some figures should be made with a retooled 12" line. Giant-man, Apocalypse and the like. Make all the big character Hasbro hasn't done or that need remakes. The Watcher, Sentinels, Frost Giants all that.

Others just should have bigger parts. There is no reason why the Hulkbuster can be as big as it is and have Sasquatch be so small.

I think Galactus and a newly-sculpted Sentinel would sell well as stand-alone, expensive, deluxe releases. Even if they had to cut down articulation somewhat (Just keep the arms and the neck extremely posable), and make it a bit more hollow, a 3-foot-tall Galactus would be amazing...

I think a lot of other giant characters, other than possibly some versions of Giant Man, would be better as BAF releases. I am totally fine with bigger BAFs being split between 2 waves, too- I also don't think this is as much of a logistical issue as some are saying, as I would guess a majority of Marvel Legends figures are sold online. 

I think it's already been shown bigger can be done, such as the Wolverine DOFP Sentinel pack, they just need to do more of those deluxe sets, like someone said I don't think that spreading BAF's over 2 waves is a great idea, it will cause problems for the average consumer, so yes make em bigger but not BAFs just bigger figures in deluxe releases or packs

On 8/6/2019 at 5:00 AM, UsurperSmurf said:

Some figures should be made with a retooled 12" line. Giant-man, Apocalypse and the like. Make all the big character Hasbro hasn't done or that need remakes. The Watcher, Sentinels, Frost Giants all that.

Others just should have bigger parts. There is no reason why the Hulkbuster can be as big as it is and have Sasquatch be so small.

I still don't understand why Hasbro can't do something like the TF Titan Class. An once a year massive figure.

Sasquatch should have been exactly 10' tall. That the new classic 80th anniv Hulk is the same hgt as him is unsat. Hulk should have been scaled at around the 7-.7.5'

scale, so when posed next to a 10' tall Sasquatch it would have reflected the accurate size disparity between em. I give much props to Hasbro 90% of the time but when it comes to their big characters or BAF, they are screwing up big time.

My list of characters they jacked up the scale on & did either too big or too small:

Sasquatch-10 footer in the comics, 8' scale as a figure

Thanos-originally 6'7, now an 8+ footer

Beast-he's 5'11, Jim Lee version is just oversized compared to how he looked prior to JL drawing him. Byrne ,Perez & many other artists drew him in his proper 5'11 hgt

Thing- he's 6ft, no idea how he's almost Hulk sized now

Hulk- 7ft, miraculously has shot up to 8ft+ in the past 15yrs or so. 7.5' tops

Juggs 6'10 originally, no idea how he shot up to 8+ft, should be 7.5 scale at most

Abomination-Originally 6'8, now also 8+ft should be, 7' scale tops

Rhino-originally 6-5, now an 8 footer

Entire wrecking crew- all oversized/outta scale & on an outdated 2010 T-bird buck that has awful POA. Need to be re-done on the Hercules/80th anniv Thor bucks.

Had Hasbro scaled Sasquatch at his correct 10' scale, many of the other large figs such as Hulk/Juggs would look in proper scale with him, now due to scaling him at 8', Sasquatch looks undersized.

I think that Annihilus would work better with something like what they did for Archangel. He could even have a little thing for a Galactus BAF like Archangel had for Apocalypse. What I’m really wanting is a Fantastic Four wave with a Galactus BAF. It could be something like Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Human Torch, The Thing, Silver Surfer, and Terrax. In order to keep the four different from the Walgreens versions, they could use the white gloves more classic costumes. I also wanted to round it off at a crisp Hasbro “six per wave” with a herald of Galactus and chose Terrax as, other than Silver Surfer, I see him as the most popular herald and don’t think he’s so big he’d need to be a BAF. Other heralds could replace Terrax or you could just add more to my list, just throwing out ideas here.