Andy Serkis To Helm 'Venom 2'; Set For October 2020 Release

Outsiders

Deadline has confirmed that Sony Pictures has hired Andy Serkis to helm Venom 2.  The first Marvel feature grossed $856.1 million worldwide with the sequel slated to hit theaters October 2020.

Serkis was hired after Ruben Fleischer didn't return after directing the first installment for Sony.  Kelly Marcel, one of the screenwriters on the first film, was hired to write the follow-up to showcase actor Tom Hardy and his shape-shifting CG alien symbiote.

Andy_Serkis.jpg

Andy Serkis is a terrific actor and has done wonders for the advancement of motion capture acting, even though he is not yet a prooven director he has made a couple movies, and a movie live Venom which will most likely be either R or PG 13 rated and like the last one will not be a huge budgeted movie is a good move for Serkis to grow his directing resume, hopefully he'll do a great job and not only will the movie do well and be a good one but he will get better recognition as a director for future bigger movie projects.  

5 hours ago, leokearon said:

He's a great actor and a master of motion capture, a director though, I'm not so sure

Well, I did a lot of research on Serkis a while ago after his work on the LOTR movies and the reason he was/is so sought after is because when you hire him you're basically hiring him to help direct pretty much anything and everything motion capture wise and a lot of placement and perspective for screen angles and he consulted on much of the CGI and special effects, just purely out of experience working with things that weren't really there. Jackson in not so many words pretty much said he was an extension of himself. So we know he more or less has the lock on the understanding of anything motion capture and working with people, monsters and objects that weren't really there, one would assume that he could do at least as sufficient a job with things that are actually tangible as well.

I'm rooting for the guy. The bad rap the first movie was undeserved, but it did leave a lot of room for improvement. I'm hoping he can at least do a better job than that one.

39 minutes ago, monron999 said:

Well, I did a lot of research on Serkis a while ago after his work on the LOTR movies and the reason he was/is so sought after is because when you hire him you're basically hiring him to help direct pretty much anything and everything motion capture wise and a lot of placement and perspective for screen angles and he consulted on much of the CGI and special effects, just purely out of experience working with things that weren't really there. Jackson in not so many words pretty much said he was an extension of himself. So we know he more or less has the lock on the understanding of anything motion capture and working with people, monsters and objects that weren't really there, one would assume that he could do at least as sufficient a job with things that are actually tangible as well.

I'm rooting for the guy. The bad rap the first movie was undeserved, but it did leave a lot of room for improvement. I'm hoping he can at least do a better job than that one.

Andy Serkis has worked on plenty projects as secondary unit director, including (to my knowledge) The Hobbit, that's why Jackson said he was an extension of himself.

On the Venom movie... I'm glad some people enjoyed it, but it just didn't do it for me... at all. So I'm not terribly excited about this, regardless who is involved in making it.

9 hours ago, monron999 said:

I know he is skilled but as a full-on director he has only three movies under his belt. I really hope he can do well, it will be a visual feast alright but graphics aren't everything

I haven't even seen the first one, I hear it is pretty good all things considered it's just me personally I don't find Eddie Brock all that interesting without the Spider-Man connection. I'm curious to see what Andy Serkins can bring to the movie. As for Cletus Kassidy would have preferred Cameron Monaghan in the role but I'm sure Woody Harrelson will do well.