Gemma Chan In Talks To Join Marvel's 'The Eternals'

Outsiders

Sources have informed Variety that "Crazy Rich Asians" star Gemma Chan is in talks to join Marvel's "The Eternals."  Previously announced to the cast are Angelina Jolie, Richard Madden, Brian Tyree Henry, Salma Hayek and Kumail Nanjiani.

In "Captain Marvel," Chan portrayed Minn-Erva, but its unknown if she will play the same role again in "The Eternals" or if she would have a completely different role.

Created by Jack Kirby in 1976, the comic book is set millions of years in the past, when the cosmic beings known as the Celestials genetically experimented on humans to create super-powered individuals known as the Eternals, along with the villainous Deviants. The two groups battled each other throughout history. The Eternals also warred with Greek, Roman and Norse deities before leaving Earth to explore the stars.

The Eternals is set to hit theaters November 6th, 2020.

Gemma_Chan.jpg

Still trying to keep an open mind but i've never found the Eternals interesting.. either their maxi-series in the 80s drawn by Sal Buscema, nor their storyline in Roger Sterns Avengers, nor the Neil Gaiman series.  I should have some faith given the mcu's track record and the casting decisions so far but feels like an odd property for marvel to choose to adapt.  Say what you will about GotG and Ant-man but both at least had some memorable comic runs building up to their mcu appearances (granted with Ant-man it was the Eric O'Grady version but still).

I still tend to associate Gemma with that bbc robot series, still haven't seen crazy rich asians.

Oh yeah now I do remember her, the BBC series with the androids. I guess they must have cancelled that show. I haven't heard anything else about it. Back in the day I wouldn't even pick up a GOTG comic to read, so when I heard about the MCU version I was not excited at all. But thanks to some good writers and actors I am a fan now. I think Marvel is hoping for some of that same success with the Eternals. Hope it works out.

I too, am wondering if she's gonna reprise her role from Captain Marvel or play a different character. I hope she reprises her role as I liked her in the movie and was looking forward to her becoming an antagonist in a future installment. I know very little about the Eternals and I'm still scratching my head as the fact they are getting a movie but so far it has a solid cast and I'm curious about how the final product turns out. 

• 1 year later...
This image of a 16-Month Calendar from the latest issue of Previews magazine gives us our best and most official look to date for the characters and their costumes in the upcoming Eternals MCU movie.

The cover of the calendar features Sprite (Lia McHugh), Druig (Barry Keoghan), Sersi (Gemma Chan), Phastos (Brian Tyree Henry), Ikaris (Richard Madden), Kingo (Kumail Nanjiani), Gilgamesh (Don Lee), Ajak (Salma Hayek), and Makkari (Lauren Ridloff).

The movie which was delayed from last year is currently slated with a November 5, 2021 release date.

Eternals.jpg

I really don't care for what any of them look like, Marvel Studios usually gets it on point with the costumes, they drove down who cares about the source material lane on this one, these characters look like a circus of cornball to me, even the facial expressions on these actors look like they are confused to be there. Angelina didn't even show up for the shoot.

spacer.png

With rumors that Jodie Whittaker is leaving Doctor Who, I had hopes that Gemma Chan could take over the role, but I had thought, "How is that going to work? She'll be so busy with Marvel stuff." But there isn't going to be another one of these. Her schedule is going to be wide open. This has one and done written all over it. I'm trying really hard to keep an open mind,  but I really can't imagine at all that this movie or these characters will be a hit.

I find it so strange to see people talking about how this one is going to fail. So, with no trailer, what would you really base such an opinion on? And given the track record of Marvel, why would you bet against them? It just doesn't make sense. I keep thinking about Guardians and how everyone did the same thing then ("A walking tree and a talking raccoon, this is going to fail"), and the film was amazing and wildly successful. I will be excited about anything Marvel until they give me a reason not to. 

5 hours ago, Psychosomatic said:

I find it so strange to see people talking about how this one is going to fail. So, with no trailer, what would you really base such an opinion on? And given the track record of Marvel, why would you bet against them? It just doesn't make sense. I keep thinking about Guardians and how everyone did the same thing then ("A walking tree and a talking raccoon, this is going to fail"), and the film was amazing and wildly successful. I will be excited about anything Marvel until they give me a reason not to. 

This a million times. Absolutely do not understand all the hate toward this movie.

No ones hating this movie. It just a movie of something so obscure it worrying. Guardians may have been obscure but there were comics at the time running for it.

Even hard-core marvel readers have a hard time remembering the eternals. Hell they keep mixing them up with their titans counterpart.

11 hours ago, tarot said:

No ones hating this movie.

I can't speak for anyone else, but if the vibe I get from everything I've seen and read about this sucker turns out to be wrong and it's actually good, I'll be thrilled. I WANT a Marvel movie I can get behind. I want THIS to be that movie.

Granted, their bland costume designs and overly "woke" character descriptions don't leave me with much hope, but I could be wrong.