ABC Lines Up Next Marvel Adaptation With A Female Superhero

Outsiders

As the final season of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is set to roll out next Summer of 2020, ABC and Disney are already in talks about bringing another Marvel Adaptation of a female superhero to the network.

ABC Entertainment president Karey Burke told Deadline, “I have spoken to Marvel and we are in active talks about one project in particular.” While she wouldn’t give away any details, she said the character would be “something brand new, mostly” and that the series would fit in with its strategy of female-focused superheroes.

ABC developed a show last year and gave a production commitment to an untitled hourlong drama from Wonder Women writer Allan Heinberg, Marvel Television and ABC Studios.  Written by Heinberg, it was about female characters with superpowers. But in classic Marvel tradition, few details were offered.

6 minutes ago, Lordtom said:

And just like Shiled and Inhumans it's going to suck. Just buy the right to the Warriors TV show that seems to have no home at the moment

SHIELD doesn't suck. You may not like it, but if it's been going for 6 seasons and having a closing 7th it can't, objectively, suck. 

I personally enjoy it, but can understand why some were put off by super slow first 15 episodes. After that it keeps a, mostly, good pace and enjoyable plot lines and character development. If you were put off by the beginning I'd recommend giving it a shot, if only to have an incredible portrayal of Ghost Rider in season 4.

It's not mindblowing, groundbreaking, or must see. But it's an ok and fun show.

I cant believe SHIELD is still on air. It is so far removed from either the book or the MCU movies, that it could be named almost literally anything else. I think ABC is just so desperate to hang on to that "Marvel" tagline they'll accept anything. Turning the show into the sky-daisy-quake hour made no sense whatsoever.  Nonetheless, there's plenty of material in the Marvel realm to do a great show. Misty Knight or Daughters of the Dragon (not necessarily the actors from the Netflix shoe) would be a great fit- character not tied to a supergroup, and one that doesn't require huge special effects.

Disney/ABC seem to be obsessed with making females the main character in their shows, why is that? 

Never watched SHIELD but if it's gotten 7 seasons, it's gotta be at least a good show, sorry I can't say the same for the Inhumans series, saw that steaming pile & after 3-4 episodes, I said fuggedaboudit! Marvel never shoulda greenlit that show for ABC, That should have been on Netflix IMO, they couldn't have done a worse job on it than ABC did.  I'm really just looking forward to the animated 'What if' series, just hope the animation isn't kiddyish.

6 hours ago, Gigantor said:

Disney/ABC seem to be obsessed with making females the main character in their shows, why is that? 

Never watched SHIELD but if it's gotten 7 seasons, it's gotta be at least a good show, sorry I can't say the same for the Inhumans series, saw that steaming pile & after 3-4 episodes, I said fuggedaboudit! Marvel never shoulda greenlit that show for ABC, That should have been on Netflix IMO, they couldn't have done a worse job on it than ABC did.  I'm really just looking forward to the animated 'What if' series, just hope the animation isn't kiddyish.

Probably due to the success of Daisy, May and Simmons in AOS. The three are very popular and constantly get praised for being positive roles models. So they like want to replicate that success.

Agents of SHIELD started meh but then got really good and only seemed to improve as it went on, last season was iffy with the space stuff but it was still a decent watch at worst. They could have ended the series last season and I would have been ok, this season is not particularly interesting and even characters that I found interesting are boring me. As for this project, it has potential, depending on the character and the writing/plot but I'm worried that ABC just read female centric Marvel series and jumped in without knowing what it was about, they did try to cancel Agents of SHIELD a few years back but Disney would not let them and then there's the Marvel Most Wanted debacle. 

12 hours ago, Batbishop said:

I hope it is she hulk. Probably not.

I could see this working and She Hulk comics were for the most part PG enough(unless that changed) that could be adapted into a series for a "family friendly" network like ABC. Daredevil left me wanting more court room drama in my superhero shows. If they can get Mark Ruffalo to cameo it wouldn't hurt either.  

In Daisy's defense, in the comics she either wears a standard SHIELD uniform with the gaunlets or something similar like her debut outfit in Secret War. That said, I do wish they would have Chloe Bennet wear something  different, more singular that doesn't come across as her raiding Black Widow's closet. They did all right with Mockingbird's outfit where it looked similar to her modern outfit but still fit in the universe they created, I kind of want something like that for Daisy on the show. As for the other shows Luke Cage always wears street clothes in the comics, even his first appearance didn't look much like a superhero outfit just a shirt and pants, the only exception being Secret War. Jessica Jones was introduced in civilian clothes in the comics and her superhero outfits were shown mostly in flashbacks and that time in the New Avengers annual where all of the super ladies band together to rescue Clint Barton.  Daredevil got an outfit, eventually, not everyone liked it but at least he wore one, of course they ditched that in Season 3, unfortunately.  Then there was Iron Fist, who couldn't bother to wear an outfit in the span of 2 seasons and Defenders despite having the most to lose considering he's the owner of a big corporation. Seriously, you are the owner of a multi billion dollar company and can provide Misty with a cutting edge prosthetic but can't make an otufit to protect your identity? Runaways don't really wear outfits and Cloak and Dagger, well that show has problems beyond the lack of outfits.  I do agree that it's frustrating that most of these shows seem to not want to embrace the more comic book aspects of the characters they are adapting. I understand that not everything works but I'm sure they are some compromises they can reach. 

On 8/6/2019 at 11:44 PM, memocromatico said:

SHIELD doesn't suck. You may not like it, but if it's been going for 6 seasons and having a closing 7th it can't, objectively, suck. 

I personally enjoy it, but can understand why some were put off by super slow first 15 episodes. After that it keeps a, mostly, good pace and enjoyable plot lines and character development. If you were put off by the beginning I'd recommend giving it a shot, if only to have an incredible portrayal of Ghost Rider in season 4.

It's not mindblowing, groundbreaking, or must see. But it's an ok and fun show.

No, it sucks. It sucks so bad that ABC wanted to cancel it after 3 seasons but Disney said no. The whole show is Daisy saves the day YAWN!! Also she's a terrible protagonist. 

On 8/10/2019 at 12:45 PM, Lordtom said:

No, it sucks. It sucks so bad that ABC wanted to cancel it after 3 seasons but Disney said no. The whole show is Daisy saves the day YAWN!! Also she's a terrible protagonist. 

Do you have a source on that "ABC wanted to cancel it after 3 seasons but Disney said no"? I've never heard of that before and after a quick search I haven't found anything. 

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:11 AM, mako said:

From some of the things said about the new show, it sounds like it'll either be an original concept, or a new take on an existing character. Either way, I'm down for it. I just have one more prerequisite:

There has to be a SUIT. I realize its become vogue (and probably cheaper) to suit up your female heroes in a form-fitting black cat-suit and call it a day, but I'm sorry, Chloe is gorgeous, but the Emma Peel look ain't getting it done. They're calling the new series a SUPERHERO show, give us an honest to God SUPERHERO suit.

No black overcoats and street clothes, no generic body-armor, no black latex.

Well said, brother. I suggested a Misty Knight show because I know how costume-outfit shy these fools are about SUPERHEROES in actual costumes....they wouldn't have to do much to pull that off. But IF they go with an actual "powered" character, they need to bring the suit. If they choose a character who normally wears a cape then I wanna see the cape. Distinctive headwear, like Thor's helmet? I wanna SEE it. It was a major peeve for me that we only got to see Thor's winged helmet in ONE movie and then, not even the entire show. WTF. If a costume is too hard then just don't do it at all.

On 8/7/2019 at 10:11 AM, mako said:

From some of the things said about the new show, it sounds like it'll either be an original concept, or a new take on an existing character. Either way, I'm down for it. I just have one more prerequisite:

There has to be a SUIT. I realize its become vogue (and probably cheaper) to suit up your female heroes in a form-fitting black cat-suit and call it a day, but I'm sorry, Chloe is gorgeous, but the Emma Peel look ain't getting it done. They're calling the new series a SUPERHERO show, give us an honest to God SUPERHERO suit.

No black overcoats and street clothes, no generic body-armor, no black latex.

Lol, you paint a pretty picture my friend, but you and I both know that ain't happening. If they don't go the whole Jessica Jones look it's gonna be the most unflattering, monotone, uncreative, unappealing, most inoffensive get up they can get away with while making it look marginally like a superhero suit. Maybe some kinda colored trim or arm patch.

Marvel likes to play that "it just doesn't seem realistic" card while making movies and shows about people with totally unrealistic abilities and powers. I think that was the root failure of the entire Netflix projects (aside from the fact tha Disney wanted to consolidate all of Marvel's properties, I suppose). I guarantee they woulda been much better hits if they woulda just gave all of them costumes and crazy power effects. Take for example Iron Fist. I think it woulda totally been acceptable to put him in a suit resembling the new One:12 Collective Iron Fist they're showing on the News page. DC seems to pull it off pretty well and if anyone's seen the Amazon show The Boys, they seem to have no problem getting over tha hurdle either.

56 minutes ago, monron999 said:

Marvel likes to play that "it just doesn't seem realistic" card while making movies and shows about people with totally unrealistic abilities and powers. I think that was the root failure of the entire Netflix projects (aside from the fact tha Disney wanted to consolidate all of Marvel's properties, I suppose). I guarantee they woulda been much better hits if they woulda just gave all of them costumes and crazy power effects. Take for example Iron Fist. I think it woulda totally been acceptable to put him in a suit resembling the new One:12 Collective Iron Fist they're showing on the News page. DC seems to pull it off pretty well and if anyone's seen the Amazon show The Boys, they seem to have no problem getting over tha hurdle either.

I dunno, I think Marvel's done a pretty good job adapting the comic book outfits in live-action, most of the time. Assuming we're only talking about the series, the only character that doesn't make sense that didn't get a costume is Iron Fist. Other than him, everyone else that needed/uses a costume in the comics, got an interpretation of it. Cloak & Dagger's Dagger(I haven't watched the second season), hasn't gotten a real costume because she hasn't needed it, but at least she's almost always dressed in white.

I mean, even the Inhumans got costumes that were well represented, even if the show was garbage.

I dunno, maybe it's because I ignore a lot of the source material because I haven't read everything from every character that's appeared on the show. Ignorance is bliss, sometimes.

I haven't watched Titans yet, so I don't have an opinion, I've only watched the first 2 seasons of Flash and thought it was ok.

The Boys is on another league completely. It's a different audience, tone, and it still manages to justify the use or rejection of certain outfits.