What if Hasbro lost the license?

DarthOdette

9 hours ago, monron999 said:

I picked up some Fortnite figs mostly because I was interested to see what the notorious articulation hater McFarlane was capable of within the Ultra Articulated field and found them to be quite good. There's some innovative stuff goung on there, especially in the ankle, wrist and shoulder articulation. I must say I was not disappointed. Clearly he's finally working with someone who knows what the hell the "action" in action figure actually means. 

Now with that experience behind me I was actually kinda excited to hear he got the license for the 6" line. I was sure they could do a better job than Mattel had been doing and finally, finally we would have a good 6" DC line to go with our 6" Marvel Legends. Here's where everything went to shite. @JayCrecently reported that pre-orders for the first wave showed up on an overseas etailer for a short period, and for those of you who didn't see the video he originally intended to do a more in depth look into it but kinda pulled back as there seemed to be a lot more unconfirmed information than he originally thought. I can respect his measure to be a responsible reporter cuz hell knows there aren't any in the mainstream these days. The worst thing I got out of what he did report though is that the damn thing's are listing as a 7" line. WTF, Todd?! It's just like him to do his own damn thing to buck the trend of the market just to pleasure his own little artistic indulgences.

Now there's nothing wrong with 7" figs. I pick up quite a few here and there, mostly things that catch my fancy, but I think it's a no-brainer that most fans want a 6" line to compete with ML, who is pretty much the standard for comic based action figures at this time. Seriously, we've never had a DC line where I feel like I can pull a Batman out of the package and fit him in proper proportion to any of my statistically similar ML figures. There is a huge market for that a it's something fans of both Marvel and DC have been begging for for years. The DCUC figures looked good but they were a little simplistic and they suffered in the articulation department. The new crop of DC Multiverse was headed in the right direction but Mattel took too long to pull their heads outta their arses and they lost their license.

Here's the burner, the press release that announced McFarlane won the license specifically said they would take over the Multiverse brand and it would be a 6" line and I really believe Mattel wanted a 6" line. I agree with JayC that not doing a 6" line (not against 7" line as a whole) would be a major mistake on McFarlane's part. I for one would have zero interest in getting full on engaged with a 7" line when 6" has pretty much become the standard, especially in recent years, and not to speak for everyone but I would say thats probably the general consensus of most DC and Marvel action figure fans. Of course you'll have fans of both and I'm sure most of us would feel the urge to pick up at least one of the 7" figs every once in a while, but how many of us are ready to get fully invested in another line at $25 - $30 a pop that isn't gonna match up or look good with our collection we've been collecting for many years now.

Now the information from the website could have been a typo or inadvertent misinformation and that's a real possibility and honestly I hope it is , but if, when all the dust settles, it ends up being a 7" inch line I'm out. And in all honesty it may be a blessing in disguise cuz right now ML and all its associated product are taking up a whole hella lot more of my disposable income than it used to.

I know this is a ML forum but if anything it shows how ML is the standard setter for the industry right now and for both DC and McFarlane not to set aside their own selfish pride and tendencies to cash in on this obvious market trend is just bad business and they deserve what they get. Anyone else feel me or am I just totally off base

When it was announced that McFarlane was getting the DC licence and they confirmed that they were doing the same thing they were doing with the fortnite line in respect of articulation I pretty much knew their DC line was going to be 7" scale, Im ok with it since most my DC figures are DC collectibles and they tend to run on the bigger side, but I understand why many people would want a 6" scale DC line to go along with the Marvel Legends or even fit ok next to the Multiverse figures, McFarlane is always weird with their scales, either they go too small or too big but regularly they tend to stick with the 7" scale.

1 hour ago, tarot said:

Even though I can't collect DC figure (money, money, money) even I was pissed off by the fact that McFarlane went with 7" instead of 6". I know that many collectors like to have the 2 major comic line fight against each other. in a few display and ACBA. 

It’s definitely a perfectly reasonable reaction.  In addition to money, money, money, a big reason I don’t collect DC is because there’s yet to be a line I really collect.  I guess personally, my excitement for the prospect of a good DC Line outweighs my disappointment with it not being a 6” Line (allegedly).  But I get the disappointment shared by many, believe me

1 hour ago, abnuggler said:

When it was announced that McFarlane was getting the DC licence and they confirmed that they were doing the same thing they were doing with the fortnite line in respect of articulation I pretty much knew their DC line was going to be 7" scale, Im ok with it since most my DC figures are DC collectibles and they tend to run on the bigger side, but I understand why many people would want a 6" scale DC line to go along with the Marvel Legends or even fit ok next to the Multiverse figures, McFarlane is always weird with their scales, either they go too small or too big but regularly they tend to stick with the 7" scale.

This is almost exactly how I feel.  I’m just hopeful for a good dc Line 

I would most probably pass, one of the reasons I didn't get into the Marvel Universe line was that I wasn't interested in buying figures of characters I already owned in another scale, same thing happened with Black Series after collecting Star Wars since the Power of the Force days.  As it is, I'm currently looking at  my collection I have and asking myself do I need a figure of that character? If they made a figure of a character that I don't already own and want or a specific version that I would like that Hasbro didn't get around to making then maybe but even then I would have to see how they turn out. If Hasbro stopped making Marvel Legends, it would suck for me since there's little to nothing out there that interest me; DC can't seem to commit to a line or scale before restarting and releasing the same characters again, Black series is decent but again not looking to restart my Star Wars collection in another scale, Lightning collection looks really good but I'm only knowledgeable in MMPR and even then not that much, as of right now there's not a property being made into action figures out there that I feel so passionately about that I would commit to a line. 

14 minutes ago, belmont13 said:

I would most probably pass, one of the reasons I didn't get into the Marvel Universe line was that I wasn't interested in buying figures of characters I already owned in another scale, same thing happened with Black Series after collecting Star Wars since the Power of the Force days.  As it is, I'm currently looking at  my collection I have and asking myself do I need a figure of that character? If they made a figure of a character that I don't already own and want or a specific version that I would like that Hasbro didn't get around to making then maybe but even then I would have to see how they turn out. If Hasbro stopped making Marvel Legends, it would suck for me since there's little to nothing out there that interest me; DC can't seem to commit to a line or scale before restarting and releasing the same characters again, Black series is decent but again not looking to restart my Star Wars collection in another scale, Lightning collection looks really good but I'm only knowledgeable in MMPR and even then not that much, as of right now there's not a property being made into action figures out there that I feel so passionately about that I would commit to a line. 

Gotcha, that all makes sense to me.  Most of us on here collect a bunch of other lines or figures, unlike yourself who really is only committed to the one line.  It’d definitely be harder on someone such as yourself if they did lose the license  

On 8/8/2019 at 9:30 AM, DarthOdette said:

I agree with you on most of what you said, but I’m not sure what you mean by this?  It’s the articulation that makes the fortnite line a massive success 

I should have clarified that I have yet to get my hands on a figure using McFarlane’s 22 point articulation system; so, I really can’t give a personal thumbs up or down on how proven or successful it is (my girlfriend has their One Punch Man figure, but she hasn’t opened it yet). With that being said, we already know that this is equal to or less than the standard ML figure, and less than most 1/12 import brands. I also recognize that many people seem to enjoy Todd’s Fortnite figures and praise the advances he’s made with articulation under his toy banner, but I don’t really hear anyone saying they’re better than anything Hasbro has to offer or even Mattel. In fact, many reports and reviews indicate that while McFarlane has added articulation points to his figures, that the basic construction is poor; loose or misshapen sockets that allow limbs and heads to easily detach, and of course, poor range of motion. More so, how will those figures hold up over time? The overall long-term quality of the pieces will ultimately prove or disprove how successful that new articulation system is. It just hasn’t had time to compete just yet. 

28 minutes ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

or even Mattel. In fact, many reports and reviews indicate that while McFarlane has added articulation points to his figures, that the basic construction is poor; loose or misshapen sockets that allow limbs and heads to easily detach, and of course, poor range of motion.

They are miles beyond anything Mattel has put out, maybe ever.  Aside from the hip joints, which are a unique design with the intent in hiding articulation, they have the same points of artucualtion that a standard SH Figuarts Figure has.  Comparing the skull trooper from the fortnite line, and the saiyan raised on earth Goku Figure from the DBZ SHF Line, the only difference in POA aside from the hips, are the ability extend the torso joint.  And from what I’ve seen, the joints are intended to be removable.  Or, rather, they are on short pegs so that any crazy posing doesn’t result in breakage, much like the Figuarts line.  With that being said, they still don’t have comparable range of motion to SHF or to legends.  There are 2 reasons for this.  The 1st is the butterfly joints at the shoulders.  They do not function as well as Hasbro’s.  Honestly, even the SHF butterfly joints don’t function as well.  I think Hasbro has the best butterfly joints on the market, or at least anything under the $100 price range.  The 2nd issue is the hips I mentioned earlier.  They hide a lot of gappage and help to make the crotch look natural, which works in that regard, but you can’t spread the legs far enough apart to get a proper super hero squat or a crawl.  They look more like real people trying to squat.