Jump to content
DarthOdette

What if Hasbro lost the license?

Recommended Posts

Just out of sheer curiosity, what would you do if in like 2 or 3 years, Hasbro lost the license to make marvel product  and it goes to somebody like Mattel or McFarlane?  

Assuming these were still in a 6” scale at a $20 price range, and continued to call them marvel legends, but worked with completely different sculpts would you still collect the line?  Would you be at all interested?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if they were completely new sculpts I'd say it was the start of a new collection entirely separate from what we currently have, but as long as they looked good I'd be happy to buy them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they were all new and from the beginning again... probably not. Just the ones I really liked... and depending on how Mattel'd they were... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be bummed out and skeptical....but waiting for reviews of the new ones before calling it quits or not

I hope McFarlane can do something good with dc, I got my fingers crossed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say its unlikely. With current success of marvel movies and shows and the phase 4 and 5 spanning this time period. Marvel has created solid foundation with fans and collectors. The revenue from this line of figures would be bad business move. Hasbro and other companies hold out till 4th quarter of the year and release things in the fall/winter to have strong finish to the year to impress investors. It happens with videogames all the time. also with the purchase of fox-marvel they could release a line of xmen movie figures or just wait 5 years for xmen or fantastic four to be in the MCU. Which is more revenue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, michiganjfrog said:

I would be bummed out and skeptical....but waiting for reviews of the new ones before calling it quits or not

I hope McFarlane can do something good with dc, I got my fingers crossed

I am too, can’t wait to see what they can do with the brand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Scruffy_Nerd said:

I would say its unlikely. With current success of marvel movies and shows and the phase 4 and 5 spanning this time period. Marvel has created solid foundation with fans and collectors. The revenue from this line of figures would be bad business move. Hasbro and other companies hold out till 4th quarter of the year and release things in the fall/winter to have strong finish to the year to impress investors. It happens with videogames all the time. also with the purchase of fox-marvel they could release a line of xmen movie figures or just wait 5 years for xmen or fantastic four to be in the MCU. Which is more revenue. 

Oh I know that it won’t happen, at least 99% chance.  The question is purely hypothetical 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would almost 100% be a bad thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JayC said:

It would almost 100% be a bad thing.

Oh for sure, I would not be happy at all, just wanted to hear what others thought 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont think it would be good, DC and Marvel properties need to be made by big companies that have the resources to make a ton of figures (If the licence went to Neca, Storm, Diamond, Super 7 or some other company even if its a great company they wouldnt be able to make a lot of figures per wave and we'd inevitably be getting the caps, iron man, spiderman, wolverines all over again before we get to Secondary characerts, dont even deam of obscure characters like demolition man, Darkhawk, Black Knight, and so on) Hasbro making marvel figures might seem somewhat bad for some things like not getting dedicated sculpts but it has its advantages because we get more characters, even different costumes. Also a new company would mean a fresh start that could mean new scales, and starting right from the begining again (it would be hard to get figures that would fit right alongside our marvel legends figures), so that leaves only Hasbro, Mattel and McFarlane (with McFarlane making DC, I dont see Disney wanting Marvel in the same place) and we all know Mattel sucks, So in my opinion the best fit for Marvel is to stick with Hasbro (seeing how well they've been doing together I dont see why Disney would not opt to extend the licence with hasbro, and how Marvel's Licence has done wonders for Hasbro Its hard to imagine Hasbro letting it go that easily, so on both ends I dont see a move happening).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

57 minutes ago, abnuggler said:

I dont see why Disney would not opt to extend the licence with hasbro, and how Marvel's Licence has done wonders for Hasbro Its hard to imagine Hasbro letting it go that easily, so on both ends I dont see a move happening).

I feel you there. Are you personally excited to see McFarlane’s dc stuff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if Hasbro lost the license for Marvel (or Star Wars to a lesser extent), it would jeopardize the entire ecosystem of the hobby. While everyone waited for new product to be revealed, for it to release and actually fill shelves, and to see if it actually took off or not, the power vacuum left behind would be awful. It would likely kill off a huge swath of collector interest and risk the industry either not recovering at all or sputtering on for years before it did recover. Some might say that this wouldn’t happen (tho it is probably exaggerated) , since DC changed hands and the world didn’t end, but I think it’s fair to say that the Marvel by Hasbro market is far more prominent and potent than anything Mattel ever dreamt of. So, I shutter at the idea of a scenario where Hasbro loses or drops the Marvel license. 

With all that said, I would 100% drop off the Marvel collecting radar. Whoever or whatever picked up the brand and undoubtedly rebooted it would have to be pretty spectacular for me to have the energy to restart a collection as massive and meaningful as ML is for me.  Like, let’s say McFarlane got it; I would probably buy a well-done Magneto, or Captain America, but would eventually have buyer’s remorse as they’d be standalones in my collection like all those Mezco One:12 I bought and sold a year later.

As said, it would be more bad than good.

However, such an event would free up a lot of my cash for more 1/12 scale import figures that are 3-5x as expensive, but, uh, so much better made. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of 14,000,605 futures, there is only one where this scenario could be possible.

In this one case, if Hasbro is stupid enough to lose the license, and new figures look as good, at the same price point, I would continue to buy them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would probably stop collecting, especially as I'm not a fan of either Mattel or McFarlane toys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

However, such an event would free up a lot of my cash for more 1/12 scale import figures that are 3-5x as expensive, but, uh, so much better made. 

Yeah the one silver lining 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, leokearon said:

I would probably stop collecting, especially as I'm not a fan of either Mattel or McFarlane toys. 

Is there any company that you could see yourself giving a chance if this were to happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DarthOdette said:

Is there any company that you could see yourself giving a chance if this were to happen?

Not really

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DarthOdette said:

I feel you there. Are you personally excited to see McFarlane’s dc stuff?

I havent been a huge fan of McFarlane if only because of his lack of articulation, but seeing Todd finally gave in to collectors wants and seems to be going in the right direction on that account Im definetely excited to see what McFarlane does with the DC license (we all know McFarlane is great with sculpting but has allways lacked in the articulation side and even though their qc issues have improved they have been present before), if anything I dont see how McFarlane could be worse than Mattel so to me its a welcome change. Then again its different for DC since its been years since I was excited for a DC line, so most changes are good right now, for marvel it would be a completely different story, Im all in Marvel Legends so any change for me seems like a wrong move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, abnuggler said:

I havent been a huge fan of McFarlane if only because of his lack of articulation, but seeing Todd finally gave in to collectors wants and seems to be going in the right direction on that account Im definetely excited to see what McFarlane does with the DC license (we all know McFarlane is great with sculpting but has allways lacked in the articulation side and even though their qc issues have improved they have been present before), if anything I dont see how McFarlane could be worse than Mattel so to me its a welcome change.

i hear ya, I haven't bought any McFarlane figures since i was into halo, im being hopeful but I don't know how it will turn out.

 

I hope we see some much needed figures right away, I would be sooo hyped for a good hawkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, abnuggler said:

I havent been a huge fan of McFarlane if only because of his lack of articulation, but seeing Todd finally gave in to collectors wants and seems to be going in the right direction on that account Im definetely excited to see what McFarlane does with the DC license (we all know McFarlane is great with sculpting but has allways lacked in the articulation side and even though their qc issues have improved they have been present before), if anything I dont see how McFarlane could be worse than Mattel so to me its a welcome change. Then again its different for DC since its been years since I was excited for a DC line, so most changes are good right now, for marvel it would be a completely different story, Im all in Marvel Legends so any change for me seems like a wrong move.

Makes perfect sense to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, michiganjfrog said:

i hear ya, I haven't bought any McFarlane figures since i was into halo, im being hopeful but I don't know how it will turn out.

 

I hope we see some much needed figures right away, I would be sooo hyped for a good hawkman

You haven’t tried out any of their new fortnite stuff?  Or their one Punch Man is Naruto?

I actually went out of my way to pick up a fortnite figure because I was amazed by how many good things I heard about them.  I’ve played fortnite before, and it wasn’t for me, but the prospect of a super articulated McFarlane figure got me excited.  Picked up the skull trooper from the first wave and was wowed.  I thought ‘man if only this were the new standard for them’  and then they announced that it was.  Their Naruto and One Punch Man, which are franchises I have invested interest in, are equally awesome as well.  I’d say pick one up if you can spare a 20 and you might be very impressed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DarthOdette said:

You haven’t tried out any of their new fortnite stuff?  Or their one Punch Man is Naruto?

I actually went out of my way to pick up a fortnite figure because I was amazed by how many good things I heard about them.  I’ve played fortnite before, and it wasn’t for me, but the prospect of a super articulated McFarlane figure got me excited.  Picked up the skull trooper from the first wave and was wowed.  I thought ‘man if only this were the new standard for them’  and then they announced that it was.  Their Naruto and One Punch Man, which are franchises I have invested interest in, are equally awesome as well.  I’d say pick one up if you can spare a 20 and you might be very impressed 

I wanted to get the raptor figure since he was the skin I played most with on fortnite but never got around to it, something about the leather jacket looked a bit off  and skinny  on the arms. like its just painted skin instead of jacket sleeves.but that's probably just me nitpicking :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, michiganjfrog said:

I wanted to get the raptor figure since he was the skin I played most with on fortnite but never got around to it, something about the leather jacket looked a bit off  and skinny  on the arms. like its just painted skin instead of jacket sleeves.but that's probably just me nitpicking :biggrin:

Some of them are much cooler than others in my opinion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t get me wrong, I like McFarlane’s products (my girlfriend collects most of his anime and video game stuff), but I don’t see him being able to release sufficient numbers of figures each year to keep casual fans invested. This doesn’t even consider the QC issues and yet unproven new 22 point articulation system, which would likely weed out even more buyers. Oh, and the non-compete contract he almost certainly has with DC. 

Alternatively, Mattel is the only real, current viable option for a license like Marvel, and it just doesn’t make sense for Disney to partner with a company that couldn’t make friggin’ DC toys that sold well. 

Side note: I would absolutely LOVE for McFarlane to expand, and rapidly on their Star Trek figure line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be highly disappointed if Hasbro lost the license.  Mattel’s distribution is beyond ridiculous.  There are entire waves that I have never seen in the wild from DC figures. I don’t own any McFarlane figures, but the YouTube reviews I have seen point to way less articulation than the ML, although they are improving.  Between Hasbro ML and Mattel Multiverse I absolutely feel like Hasbro provides a superior product.  I collect both ML and Black Series so my wallet would be happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...







Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE