Jump to content
DarthOdette

What if Hasbro lost the license?

Recommended Posts

If their successor made figures that were compatible with MLs in terms of scale and aesthetic, i'd give them a chance. otherwise i'd call it a day, can't really see myself starting a new collection of marvel figures.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

If their successor made figures that were compatible with MLs in terms of scale and aesthetic, i'd give them a chance. otherwise i'd call it a day, can't really see myself starting a new collection of marvel figures.  

If that happened, my first question would be "Why not let Hasbro keep the licence?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, abnuggler said:

I havent been a huge fan of McFarlane if only because of his lack of articulation, but seeing Todd finally gave in to collectors wants and seems to be going in the right direction on that account Im definetely excited to see what McFarlane does with the DC license (we all know McFarlane is great with sculpting but has allways lacked in the articulation side and even though their qc issues have improved they have been present before), if anything I dont see how McFarlane could be worse than Mattel so to me its a welcome change. Then again its different for DC since its been years since I was excited for a DC line, so most changes are good right now, for marvel it would be a completely different story, Im all in Marvel Legends so any change for me seems like a wrong move.

I picked up some Fortnite figs mostly because I was interested to see what the notorious articulation hater McFarlane was capable of within the Ultra Articulated field and found them to be quite good. There's some innovative stuff goung on there, especially in the ankle, wrist and shoulder articulation. I must say I was not disappointed. Clearly he's finally working with someone who knows what the hell the "action" in action figure actually means. 

Now with that experience behind me I was actually kinda excited to hear he got the license for the 6" line. I was sure they could do a better job than Mattel had been doing and finally, finally we would have a good 6" DC line to go with our 6" Marvel Legends. Here's where everything went to shite. @JayCrecently reported that pre-orders for the first wave showed up on an overseas etailer for a short period, and for those of you who didn't see the video he originally intended to do a more in depth look into it but kinda pulled back as there seemed to be a lot more unconfirmed information than he originally thought. I can respect his measure to be a responsible reporter cuz hell knows there aren't any in the mainstream these days. The worst thing I got out of what he did report though is that the damn thing's are listing as a 7" line. WTF, Todd?! It's just like him to do his own damn thing to buck the trend of the market just to pleasure his own little artistic indulgences.

Now there's nothing wrong with 7" figs. I pick up quite a few here and there, mostly things that catch my fancy, but I think it's a no-brainer that most fans want a 6" line to compete with ML, who is pretty much the standard for comic based action figures at this time. Seriously, we've never had a DC line where I feel like I can pull a Batman out of the package and fit him in proper proportion to any of my statistically similar ML figures. There is a huge market for that a it's something fans of both Marvel and DC have been begging for for years. The DCUC figures looked good but they were a little simplistic and they suffered in the articulation department. The new crop of DC Multiverse was headed in the right direction but Mattel took too long to pull their heads outta their arses and they lost their license.

Here's the burner, the press release that announced McFarlane won the license specifically said they would take over the Multiverse brand and it would be a 6" line and I really believe Mattel wanted a 6" line. I agree with JayC that not doing a 6" line (not against 7" line as a whole) would be a major mistake on McFarlane's part. I for one would have zero interest in getting full on engaged with a 7" line when 6" has pretty much become the standard, especially in recent years, and not to speak for everyone but I would say thats probably the general consensus of most DC and Marvel action figure fans. Of course you'll have fans of both and I'm sure most of us would feel the urge to pick up at least one of the 7" figs every once in a while, but how many of us are ready to get fully invested in another line at $25 - $30 a pop that isn't gonna match up or look good with our collection we've been collecting for many years now.

Now the information from the website could have been a typo or inadvertent misinformation and that's a real possibility and honestly I hope it is , but if, when all the dust settles, it ends up being a 7" inch line I'm out. And in all honesty it may be a blessing in disguise cuz right now ML and all its associated product are taking up a whole hella lot more of my disposable income than it used to.

I know this is a ML forum but if anything it shows how ML is the standard setter for the industry right now and for both DC and McFarlane not to set aside their own selfish pride and tendencies to cash in on this obvious market trend is just bad business and they deserve what they get. Anyone else feel me or am I just totally off base

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

yet unproven new 22 point articulation system

I agree with you on most of what you said, but I’m not sure what you mean by this?  It’s the articulation that makes the fortnite line a massive success 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CO_Alex said:

but the YouTube reviews I have seen point to way less articulation than the ML, although they are improving.  Between Hasbro ML

Not quite to the marvel legends level yet, but still better articulated than mattel’s DC stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

If their successor made figures that were compatible with MLs in terms of scale and aesthetic,

So essentially what Hasbro did once toybiz left the picture 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, leokearon said:

If that happened, my first question would be "Why not let Hasbro keep the licence?"

No kidding 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, monron999 said:

I picked up some Fortnite figs mostly because I was interested to see what the notorious articulation hater McFarlane was capable of within the Ultra Articulated field and found them to be quite good. There's some innovative stuff goung on there, especially in the ankle, wrist and shoulder articulation. I must say I was not disappointed. Clearly he's finally working with someone who knows what the hell the "action" in action figure actually means. 

Now with that experience behind me I was actually kinda excited to hear he got the license for the 6" line. I was sure they could do a better job than Mattel had been doing and finally, finally we would have a good 6" DC line to go with our 6" Marvel Legends. Here's where everything went to shite. @JayCrecently reported that pre-orders for the first wave showed up on an overseas etailer for a short period, and for those of you who didn't see the video he originally intended to do a more in depth look into it but kinda pulled back as there seemed to be a lot more unconfirmed information than he originally thought. I can respect his measure to be a responsible reporter cuz hell knows there aren't any in the mainstream these days. The worst thing I got out of what he did report though is that the damn thing's are listing as a 7" line. WTF, Todd?! It's just like him to do his own damn thing to buck the trend of the market just to pleasure his own little artistic indulgences.

Now there's nothing wrong with 7" figs. I pick up quite a few here and there, mostly things that catch my fancy, but I think it's a no-brainer that most fans want a 6" line to compete with ML, who is pretty much the standard for comic based action figures at this time. Seriously, we've never had a DC line where I feel like I can pull a Batman out of the package and fit him in proper proportion to any of my statistically similar ML figures. There is a huge market for that a it's something fans of both Marvel and DC have been begging for for years. The DCUC figures looked good but they were a little simplistic and they suffered in the articulation department. The new crop of DC Multiverse was headed in the right direction but Mattel took too long to pull their heads outta their arses and they lost their license.

Here's the burner, the press release that announced McFarlane won the license specifically said they would take over the Multiverse brand and it would be a 6" line and I really believe Mattel wanted a 6" line. I agree with JayC that not doing a 6" line (not against 7" line as a whole) would be a major mistake on McFarlane's part. I for one would have zero interest in getting full on engaged with a 7" line when 6" has pretty much become the standard, especially in recent years, and not to speak for everyone but I would say thats probably the general consensus of most DC and Marvel action figure fans. Of course you'll have fans of both and I'm sure most of us would feel the urge to pick up at least one of the 7" figs every once in a while, but how many of us are ready to get fully invested in another line at $25 - $30 a pop that isn't gonna match up or look good with our collection we've been collecting for many years now.

Now the information from the website could have been a typo or inadvertent misinformation and that's a real possibility and honestly I hope it is , but if, when all the dust settles, it ends up being a 7" inch line I'm out. And in all honesty it may be a blessing in disguise cuz right now ML and all its associated product are taking up a whole hella lot more of my disposable income than it used to.

I know this is a ML forum but if anything it shows how ML is the standard setter for the industry right now and for both DC and McFarlane not to set aside their own selfish pride and tendencies to cash in on this obvious market trend is just bad business and they deserve what they get. Anyone else feel me or am I just totally off base

Idk man, I don’t see the need to have the 2 brands intermix.  DC is its own thing and McFarlane shouldn’t have to be creatively crippled into only serving up marvel legends with a dc coat of paint.  I think if anything, it’s a good thing for WB and DC to go with a company with unique tastes and their own way of doing things.  I wouldn’t be too thrilled two years ago, but their new articulation is great, and whether it’s 6” or 7” I’m perfectly happy either way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DarthOdette said:

Idk man, I don’t see the need to have the 2 brands intermix.  DC is its own thing and McFarlane shouldn’t have to be creatively crippled into only serving up marvel legends with a dc coat of paint.  I think if anything, it’s a good thing for WB and DC to go with a company with unique tastes and their own way of doing things.  I wouldn’t be too thrilled two years ago, but their new articulation is great, and whether it’s 6” or 7” I’m perfectly happy either way.  

While I agree it's not a "need", it's a "want" I share. I want to pit my ML fighting DC, I want to pretend I'm a kid again and have Batman riding my Colossal T-Rex, I want Hulk punching Supes in the face, I want Aquaman facing Thor, I want Wonder Woman playing ultimate frisbee with Captain America... I want my figures to fit with each other, I don't need them to, but between picking up a larger DC figure to display on their own and not picking up anything to save money for more ML... well I'd choose to increase what I already own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, leokearon said:

If that happened, my first question would be "Why not let Hasbro keep the licence?"

It's a natural tendency. It happens on most threads. Basically, everyone interested in the thread gives their answer and it "evolves" to other things. It's not necessarily a bad thing though, cuz even though there are other forums specific to other collections it's really nice for us in the ML community to find out what their compatriots are into. Personally I like to here others opinions and feelings towards lines like Fortnite and MMPR, not only as stand alone lines but as they compare to ML. Cuz as you know, we all don't just collect one thing. The thread will eventually die down or get cut off and we'll go to other things. I think it's just best to enjoy it for what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

While I agree it's not a "need", it's a "want" I share. I want to pit my ML fighting DC, I want to pretend I'm a kid again and have Batman riding my Colossal T-Rex, I want Hulk punching Supes in the face, I want Aquaman facing Thor, I want Wonder Woman playing ultimate frisbee with Captain America... I want my figures to fit with each other, I don't need them to, but between picking up a larger DC figure to display on their own and not picking up anything to save money for more ML... well I'd choose to increase what I already own.

I totally feel you there brother, and believe me, it’s a want I share as well.  Personally, however, I’m not going to fault a company for doing their own thing and not trying to justify the existence of their own line by having it be compatible with their competitor. I get that 6” is the preferred scale of collectors, but I’m not going to hold that against a line that could be the best line DC has ever seen.  And still, those 7” rumors were rumors. There’s still a chance they are 6”, and that would be awesome 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, monron999 said:

It's a natural tendency. It happens on most threads. Basically, everyone interested in the thread gives their answer and it "evolves" to other things. It's not necessarily a bad thing though, cuz even though there are other forums specific to other collections it's really nice for us in the ML community to find out what their compatriots are into. Personally I like to here others opinions and feelings towards lines like Fortnite and MMPR, not only as stand alone lines but as they compare to ML. Cuz as you know, we all don't just collect one thing. The thread will eventually die down or get cut off and we'll go to other things. I think it's just best to enjoy it for what it is.

Hell yeah 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, changomongo said:

I hope never happens, hasbro is doing an amazing job with legends.

Personally, as much as I love legends, I’d be less upset than if Hasbro lost Star Wars.  I’ve got almost every character I want from marvel, but Star Wars has so much more to go and I need to finish my Black Series Collection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DarthOdette said:

I totally feel you there brother, and believe me, it’s a want I share as well.  Personally, however, I’m not going to fault a company for doing their own thing and not trying to justify the existence of their own line by having it be compatible with their competitor. I get that 6” is the preferred scale of collectors, but I’m not going to hold that against a line that could be the best line DC has ever seen.  And still, those 7” rumors were rumors. There’s still a chance they are 6”, and that would be awesome 

Obviously! I'm not faulting anyone, I think it's great if anyone else wants to buy them regardless of their scale! I just would steer clear for budgeting and keeping my collection within the limits I've established to accomplish certain goals, and those don't include 7". Time will tell 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, memocromatico said:

Obviously! I'm not faulting anyone, I think it's great if anyone else wants to buy them regardless of their scale! I just would steer clear for budgeting and keeping my collection within the limits I've established to accomplish certain goals, and those don't include 7". Time will tell 🙂

That’s awesome, too few people think as you do.  Many people can’t just be content with not buying something, but have to constantly attack others who do.  Glad you see that you’re a level headed collector.  And I totally get buying within scale to keep your collection grounded in certain limitations.  I have my ways of doing that as well, I just personally don’t have scale as one of those limitations 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would much rather dc and marvel figure lines to be in the same scale, IMO it just makes everything easier

 

you can mix and match parts for customs, you can share props and weps and most of all they look better posed together

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, michiganjfrog said:

I would much rather dc and marvel figure lines to be in the same scale, IMO it just makes everything easier

 

you can mix and match parts for customs, you can share props and weps and most of all they look better posed together

Right, if I had the choice, they’d be in scale.  If not, I don’t care as long as they’re good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gonna say it, Mattel does not make good figures... inconsistant scales, those weird "DCEU" hip joints, bad sculpts...I stopped collecting WWE figures because the Realscan faces on the Elites actually looked WORSE than the older face sculpts. Also, the Suicide Squad Harley Quinn movie figure they made was one of the ugliest figures of all time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, michiganjfrog said:

I would much rather dc and marvel figure lines to be in the same scale, IMO it just makes everything easier

 

you can mix and match parts for customs, you can share props and weps and most of all they look better posed together

And that's all I'm saying. It would be "nice" to have Batman square up with Captain America, Thor go toe to toe with Superman and Wolverine get all up in Lobo's ayass. All in scale. I'm not faulting ANYONE for doing 7" figs, as I've said I pick up quite a few as I like. I'm just saying I think they would not only pick up the DC toy fans who've been inundated with endless droves of Batman and Superman toys, and starved of pretty much every other character in the DC universe, but I would venture to say they would also pick up a large part of the Marvel toy fans who've been wanting a little cross company action figure epic battle displays. Not only would it be outright cool, it just makes business sense. I know the general opinion against it is that DC does not want to concede to Marvel by accepting that they have set the scale, but I honestly believe DC and McFarlane have a platform where their design, sculpts and paint applications could actually "motivate" Hasbro to up their game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, monron999 said:

And that's all I'm saying. It would be "nice" to have Batman square up with Captain America, Thor go toe to toe with Superman and Wolverine get all up in Lobo's ayass. All in scale. I'm not faulting ANYONE for doing 7" figs, as I've said I pick up quite a few as I like. I'm just saying I think they would not only pick up the DC toy fans who've been inundated with endless droves of Batman and Superman toys, and starved of pretty much every other character in the DC universe, but I would venture to say they would also pick up a large part of the Marvel toy fans who've been wanting a little cross company action figure epic battle displays. Not only would it be outright cool, it just makes business sense. I know the general opinion against it is that DC does not want to concede to Marvel by accepting that they have set the scale, but I honestly believe DC and McFarlane have a platform where their design, sculpts and paint applications could actually "motivate" Hasbro to up their game.

Good points there, especially the bit at the end about  competition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AnotherPunkChef said:

I'm gonna say it, Mattel does not make good figures... inconsistant scales, those weird "DCEU" hip joints, bad sculpts...I stopped collecting WWE figures because the Realscan faces on the Elites actually looked WORSE than the older face sculpts. Also, the Suicide Squad Harley Quinn movie figure they made was one of the ugliest figures of all time...

The only Mattel stuff I’ve liked in the last 5 years has been their Jurassic Park Legacy Collection, if only for the nostalgia 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, monron999 said:

I honestly believe DC and McFarlane have a platform where their design, sculpts and paint applications could actually "motivate" Hasbro to up their game.

That's what happened in the ToyBiz days, right? McFarlane was doing an amazing job making realistic looking toys with better articulation and then came ToyBiz and upped their game completely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, memocromatico said:

That's what happened in the ToyBiz days, right? McFarlane was doing an amazing job making realistic looking toys with better articulation and then came ToyBiz and upped their game completely. 

And I think that part of Todd McFarlane’s problem for the last several years until recently is that the still pines for those days when his stuff was groundbreaking and revolutionary.  Just like his comics at the time, McFarlane Toys was a massive shakeup in the way things were done in the industry, and they were topdog for a while, but competitors came along and dethroned him.  And for a while it was like he didn’t even realize that.  He acted like articulation broke up the aesthetic but was functionless,  only until recently did he discover that it was truly possible to do with his own brand, when Epic Games literally had to mandate hyper articulation.  But then they sold like gangbusters.  So who knows, maybe he will be topdog again soon?

we’ll see soon enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though I can't collect DC figure (money, money, money) even I was pissed off by the fact that McFarlane went with 7" instead of 6". I know that many collectors like to have the 2 major comic line fight against each other. in a few display and ACBA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...







Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE