Figure Material Quality

komododragin

The current plastic used on marvel legends figures is nice, but do you see them switching to a different type of plastic (like used in SH Figuarts for poseability) or material all together like mezco? What would be the positive and negative sides of this? I would think it would lead to higher quality in appearance but lower durability.

What I love about Marvel Legends is that they're aiming for collector grade appearance, while mantaining kid's toy quality and price. Sure, there's some compromise in sculpt, detail, paint, and articulation, but they've kept upgrading without affecting the cost, which is amazingly low in comparison. I wouldn't change the figure's material if it lowered it's durability and increased the price.

2 hours ago, memocromatico said:

What I love about Marvel Legends is that they're aiming for collector grade appearance, while mantaining kid's toy quality and price. Sure, there's some compromise in sculpt, detail, paint, and articulation, but they've kept upgrading without affecting the cost, which is amazingly low in comparison. I wouldn't change the figure's material if it lowered it's durability and increased the price.

These are my thoughts as well

I personally love the quality, it feels nostalgic and "toy" enough that it makes me really happy but the articulation and durability make it feel like a real collectible item, no gripes with the material they are currently using

however has anyone seen this new Black series figs Hyper Real? they are like mini hot toys, kinda awesome on paper but interesting to see how they turn out, also they are at a far higher price point (one I wouldnt want to pay) but I could see if potentially they do well the format might get a Marvel treatment down the road, seems cool but getting into a new collector plain with 80 buck price

The quality is there for sure. I recently got the latest DC Multiverse Samurai Batman wave and they feel kinda cheap and fragile. The best one they’ve produced in a long while was the Batman Beyond figure and even that was a little rubbery. The Lobo BAF falls apart at the slightest movement...I could go on and on.

When I hold up any figure from the MCU 2 packs they just released and compare to DCMultiverse it’s like art vs toys. Mattel should be ashamed that a Luis figure looks and feels like such a quality product compared to their latest Superman figure. 

23 minutes ago, michiganjfrog said:

sometimes ill get a ML that feels really gummy more so than others and that bums me out, or  one with bad QC. I guess you cant really expect much at that price point

Bad QC hasn't really been an issue for me, but I agree on the gummy figures every once in a while. Then again it's one figure every 5 waves or so.

Just now, tarot said:

the gummy figure is mostly for the joints. these can easily be fix though with a hair dryer with Hasbro figures. You can't really do that with some company as it would warp the entire figure.

Really? Just like that Endgame's Ronin's knees would be fixed?

2 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

Really? Just like that Endgame's Ronin's knees would be fixed?

yeah. I haven't done it myself but using a hair dryer to soften the plastic and then move it into place usually works. 

Here's Shartimus's video tutorial on it.

If not the Hair dryer, then hot water can work as well.

10 hours ago, komododragin said:

The current plastic used on marvel legends figures is nice, but do you see them switching to a different type of plastic (like used in SH Figuarts for poseability) or material all together like mezco? What would be the positive and negative sides of this? I would think it would lead to higher quality in appearance but lower durability.

Keeping the price and quality consistent is what I want.  If they can change it and not dip quality or raise price, I’ll take it 

6 hours ago, tarot said:

As someone who collect transformers,  figma and other japanese figure I have to say that Hasbro plastic quality is above anything out there at the moment.

I’ve had mixed experiences across similar lines.  Got the SHF Dragon Ball Z Goku and the Dragon Ball Kid Goku last year and the quality of plastic was inconsistent between the two