Playsets / Dioramas

DarthOdette

I’ve seen a lot of ACBA and photography incorporating NECA’s Street diorama, which I unfortunately haven’t gotten yet. I really appreciate that it is a generic scene that you can use many different brands in.  

It got me to wondering, would you guys support Marvel Legends dioramas in this same style?  Something that isn’t ridiculously over sized and can fit within the $100 price range.  Assuming you would support it, would you want it to be generic scenery similar to NECA’s so that you can use it for all sorts of figures, or would you want it to be specific?

Definitely. I've actually looked over the foldable playsets, but shipping is too expensive.

I wouldn't mind them being generic as to fit all of my lines, but I think I'd prefer them to be more specific. Size wouldn't be much of a bother to me, as long as they were somewhat easy to disassemble and store. 

I've been meaning to make some, but haven't gotten around to it as I wouldn't be able to have them displayed at the moment. So the idea for dioramas is present and I'd definitely be interested.

I can imagine Hasbro making a "Knowhere" set with some cages, the Collector and Cosmo, for example. (I really want my Cosmo D:)

Yes, I would like a Hasbro generic diorama.

I remember seeing a YouTube (perhaps from Shartimus Prime) where there's an interview with the Marvel Legends/Hasbro creators and one of the questions was about creating a dio for Legends.   And the creators said they're looking into it and fans/collectors need to let them know that they're interested in a dio and referenced the Star Wars crowd funded Jabba Sail Barge from Haslab, which is currently working on Unicron.   And the creators asked what would collectors be interested in for a dio, a Quinjet?  X-Mansion? Danger room?   

Haslab needs to hear from the online community on a dio and notes it would be crowd funded.

I've always love having a playset/dioramas for my actions figures going back to Star Wars Death Star playset to GI Joe's USS Flag aircraft carrier to Castle Grayskull to NECA's street dio.   So, if Haslab comes up with something, I'd probably put my money on it.

I know this sounds cheap and the quality wouldn't be great, but I thought Hasbro could print designs on the cardboard background that come inside the packaging, and they could fold and interconnect to create dioramas or at least a larger backdrop to display with characters. Might add value to the product and give people a reason to buy retail and not loose figures on the secondary market. They did something like this with the AIM two pack, but I was thinking on a larger scale.

21 minutes ago, Darth_Primus said:

Yes, I would like a Hasbro generic diorama.

I remember seeing a YouTube (perhaps from Shartimus Prime) where there's an interview with the Marvel Legends/Hasbro creators and one of the questions was about creating a dio for Legends.   And the creators said they're looking into it and fans/collectors need to let them know that they're interested in a dio and referenced the Star Wars crowd funded Jabba Sail Barge from Haslab, which is currently working on Unicron.   And the creators asked what would collectors be interested in for a dio, a Quinjet?  X-Mansion? Danger room?   

Haslab needs to hear from the online community on a dio and notes it would be crowd funded.

I've always love having a playset/dioramas for my actions figures going back to Star Wars Death Star playset to GI Joe's USS Flag aircraft carrier to Castle Grayskull to NECA's street dio.   So, if Haslab comes up with something, I'd probably put my money on it.

What would you like to see?

3 minutes ago, Fitz616 said:

I know this sounds cheap and the quality wouldn't be great, but I thought Hasbro could print designs on the cardboard background that come inside the packaging, and they could fold and interconnect to create dioramas or at least a larger backdrop to display with characters. Might add value to the product and give people a reason to buy retail and not loose figures on the secondary market. They did something like this with the AIM two pack, but I was thinking on a larger scale.

That’d be interesting 

7 minutes ago, Fitz616 said:

If I recall correctly, there was a wave Toybiz did this, even included a little stand for the backdrop. I think it could be interesting, but would rather have something with tangible depth and the capacity to stand multiple figures on multiple heights.

5 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

If I recall correctly, there was a wave Toybiz did this, even included a little stand for the backdrop. I think it could be interesting, but would rather have something with tangible depth and the capacity to stand multiple figures on multiple heights.

I agree with this.  I wouldn’t be upset with cardboard, but an actual dio would look much more attractive on a shelf 

5 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

That would be so cool!! They could even include interchangeable panels to switch the weapons and hazards!

Hell yeah. And they could include panels that are character specific and could have effect pieces built in for like Nightcrawler BAMFing or wolverine claw marks all over the place

37 minutes ago, mako said:

I keep going back to the Mego days. Playsets galore! The Enterprise Bridge, the Fortress of Solitude, Batcave, Wayne Foundation building, even Fonzie's Garage; and all were constructed on a plastic frame work with laminated cardboard.

Even for back then, they were brilliant in their simplicity. To bad we can't get the big companies to do these again.

I remember these too. Guess we're showing our age here, but to me this was the perfect balance of price, function and detail. To be honest I have zero to no interest in some pricey 3D backdrop like the Daily Bugle or the X-Mansoin which would no doubt be somewhere in the $300 - $500 range if Hasbro did it. Not to knock those who do want something more "interactive" but something like the old days laminated cardboard things to take pics of your figures with or put in a display case and then be easily broke down and foldable to take up as little space as possible would suit a lot of people just fine. If I recall correctly (and I may not), but I think the Spider-Man backdrop from Mego even had like a plastic fire escape piece that attached though holes in the cardboard to give a little extra for the characters to interact with. Maybe even a dumpster. If they could do something like that and keep it in the $40 - $50 range, they would sell like hotcakes, guaranteed.

50 minutes ago, mako said:

I keep going back to the Mego days. Playsets galore! The Enterprise Bridge, the Fortress of Solitude, Batcave, Wayne Foundation building, even Fonzie's Garage; and all were constructed on a plastic frame work with laminated cardboard.

Even for back then, they were brilliant in their simplicity. To bad we can't get the big companies to do these again.

15 minutes ago, monron999 said:

I remember these too. Guess we're showing our age here, but to me this was the perfect balance of price, function and detail. To be honest I have zero to no interest in some pricey 3D backdrop like the Daily Bugle or the X-Mansoin which would no doubt be somewhere in the $300 - $500 range if Hasbro did it. Not to knock those who do want something more "interactive" but something like the old days laminated cardboard things to take pics of your figures with or put in a display case and then be easily broke down and foldable to take up as little space as possible would suit a lot of people just fine. If I recall correctly (and I may not), but I think the Spider-Man backdrop from Mego even had like a plastic fire escape piece that attached though holes in the cardboard to give a little extra for the characters to interact with. Maybe even a dumpster. If they could do something like that and keep it in the $40 - $50 range, they would sell like hotcakes, guaranteed.

I could even imagine them doing some type of "Iconic Scenes" sets similar to the Riders sets, where It would come with a figure and a decent sized backdrop rather than a vehicle. I could picture something like the now infamous and often imitated cover of Uncanny X-Men #251 with a beaten and weathered Wolverine figure pinned to a giant "X" on the top of a hill with the whole "Outback" location in the background. Of course this could never actually happen cuz.......well...y'know, sensitive people, but there are plenty of other memorable moments to choose from. Gives you kinda the general idea, though.

31207.jpg

45 minutes ago, monron999 said:

I could even imagine them doing some type of "Iconic Scenes" sets similar to the Riders sets, where It would come with a figure and a decent sized backdrop rather than a vehicle. I could picture something like the now infamous and often imitated cover of Uncanny X-Men #251 with a beaten and weathered Wolverine figure pinned to a giant "X" on the top of a hill with the whole "Outback" location in the background. Of course this could never actually happen cuz.......well...y'know, sensitive people, but there are plenty of other memorable moments to choose from. Gives you kinda the general idea, though.

31207.jpg

This is pretty much a shoo-in. There can't be more than five of six Wolverines higher on the priority list than this, so it should be out by mid-2020. Who do you think would be too sensitive for this? Are there a lot of people triggered by crucifixions?

51 minutes ago, monron999 said:

In a fantasy world where space is not a problem and money is even less of a problem than space, I would LOVE huge 3D dioramas with "interactive" or playable features. In the real world though, I wouldn't be able to afford something so expensive and I wouldn't have a place to store it. You may be on to something with the plastic frame and cardboard walls and back drops... Easily assembled and disassembled and stored in minimum space... that is why I keep looking at the foldable playsets which don't ship cheaply to Mx. I'm looking for a way to get them.

35 minutes ago, monron999 said:

31207.jpg

I'd name it "Legendary Scenes" to keep it in the Legendary theme. They could even make it a wave theme and instead of BAF, they could name it BAD or BAS (depending if they named them dioramas or stages) 

25 minutes ago, Benn said:

This is pretty much a shoo-in. There can't be more than five of six Wolverines higher on the priority list than this, so it should be out by mid-2020. Who do you think would be too sensitive for this? Are there a lot of people triggered by crucifixions?

Therein lies the problem my friend. You know me by now so you know I could probably go on about this forever but I'll try and keep it short as to not fall off subject. The short answer is no, not a lot! A more precise answer would be yes, but a very, very, verrrrrry small part of "people" would actually be so offended that they would raise a stink about it, and as is the norm these days, when one is offended we ALL must share the guilt and therefore accommodate their sensitivities. I just think with Disney's modus operandi, they are more likely to go with the Offend No One and promote less product than Offend Just a Few and sell buttloads approach. I could be wrong, I have been before. I mean they totally let the "uncensored" Tiffany trough the filter, didn't they?

Otherwise I totally agree with you. On base level alone it should be 100% shooo-in. If they were to announce it today I would be on the pre-order list yesterday.

31 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

In a fantasy world where space is not a problem and money is even less of a problem than space, I would LOVE huge 3D dioramas with "interactive" or playable features. In the real world though, I wouldn't be able to afford something so expensive and I wouldn't have a place to store it. You may be on to something with the plastic frame and cardboard walls and back drops... Easily assembled and disassembled and stored in minimum space... that is why I keep looking at the foldable playsets which don't ship cheaply to Mx. I'm looking for a way to get them.

I'd name it "Legendary Scenes" to keep it in the Legendary theme. They could even make it a wave theme and instead of BAF, they could name it BAD or BAS (depending if they named them dioramas or stages) 

Lol, I was so freakin' lost into the thought of this idea that I totally just missed the most logical name. Good thing you were there to catch it. So simple. Ha!

I got tired of Hasbro or anyone else ever making 6' scale street dios/BD buildings so I just made my own. I'll post pics tomorrow. Just need 1' thick & 1/2 ' pink insulation foamboards sold at Home depot for like $5-& $12. Balsa wood, exacto knife, box cutter,  1/4 foamboards at hobby lobby or Micheals, clear plastic from the ML window boxes for windows & spray paint, small bottles of various paint colors then google abandoned/damaged buildings  & do it yourself. We're never getting dios in the 6' scale imo & cardboard dios warp after a while. For space & sci fi type characters like GOTG/Thanos & Gladiator,I highly recommend the GTP space walls.