Playsets / Dioramas

DarthOdette

5 hours ago, mako said:

Anybody remember Palisades' Muppet Show line from a few years back? The figures were impressive by themselves, but the REAL stars of the line were the play-sets. The Back Stage, Swedish Chef's Kitchen, Muppet Labs, the Bridge of the Swine Trek, if Hasbro could pull together a few sets even half as elaborate as these, I'd be all over 'em.

Typically, the line was cancelled and the company went belly-up before I even knew it was a thing. Fortunately, I was able to score a Swine Trek set in an unopened, but beat-up, box, off Ebay and it remains one of the jewels of my collection.

To add insult to injury, Palisades was just gearing up for a similar "Sesame Street" line when they went under. There's your 1/12th street diorama right there!

I’m not familiar with these I’ll have to look it up

1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

I got tired of Hasbro or anyone else ever making 6' scale street dios/BD buildings so I just made my own. I'll post pics tomorrow. Just need 1' thick & 1/2 ' pink insulation foamboards sold at Home depot for like $5-& $12. Balsa wood, exacto knife, box cutter,  1/4 foamboards at hobby lobby or Micheals, clear plastic from the ML window boxes for windows & spray paint, small bottles of various paint colors then google abandoned/damaged buildings  & do it yourself. We're never getting dios in the 6' scale imo & cardboard dios warp after a while. For space & sci fi type characters like GOTG/Thanos & Gladiator,I highly recommend the GTP space walls.

Wish I were this creative 

On 8/14/2019 at 1:43 PM, michiganjfrog said:

would love it depending on what it looks like, the neca one doesn't really do it for me, Ive been meaning to make some of my own but I would love seeing what Hasbro could do

What don’t you like about neca’s?  I haven’t gotten it yet so I’d like to hear your opinion 

11 hours ago, monron999 said:

I could even imagine them doing some type of "Iconic Scenes" sets similar to the Riders sets, where It would come with a figure and a decent sized backdrop rather than a vehicle. I could picture something like the now infamous and often imitated cover of Uncanny X-Men #251 with a beaten and weathered Wolverine figure pinned to a giant "X" on the top of a hill with the whole "Outback" location in the background. Of course this could never actually happen cuz.......well...y'know, sensitive people, but there are plenty of other memorable moments to choose from. Gives you kinda the general idea, though.

31207.jpg

I would love that!  Totally seems like something McFarlane would have done back in the day.  I’d buy the sh!t out of those 

10 hours ago, monron999 said:

Therein lies the problem my friend. You know me by now so you know I could probably go on about this forever but I'll try and keep it short as to not fall off subject. The short answer is no, not a lot! A more precise answer would be yes, but a very, very, verrrrrry small part of "people" would actually be so offended that they would raise a stink about it, and as is the norm these days, when one is offended we ALL must share the guilt and therefore accommodate their sensitivities. I just think with Disney's modus operandi, they are more likely to go with the Offend No One and promote less product than Offend Just a Few and sell buttloads approach. I could be wrong, I have been before. I mean they totally let the "uncensored" Tiffany trough the filter, didn't they?

Otherwise I totally agree with you. On base level alone it should be 100% shooo-in. If they were to announce it today I would be on the pre-order list yesterday.

Definitely agree with you on the Disney MO, but I highly doubt anybody would actually be offended by this in particular.  There’s things that people could be offended by, but I doubt this would be one 

14 hours ago, komododragin said:

I don't think cardboard would be worth it since anyone could make one using cardboard for under $20. If they could make it with hinged plastic for around $50, or put it in a build-a line like Marvel select does, that would be cool. 

I agree it sounds kinda cheesy but anyone who remembers these things knows it was actually quite durable. It was heavily laminated and almost impossible to rip or bend without intentional force. Much more sturdy than the say the displays included in the McFarlane Movie Maniacs figures back in the 90's.

Admittedly, I can understand ones hesitation to invest in cardboard as a packaged item but for me I see it as paying for the artwork itself to be used to add some flavor for display purposes. If anyone has ever tried to buy comic book prints for decoration they'll understand how much that artwork can cost.

In this case I'd say you'd be paying $20 for a figure and possibly $10 - $15 for the art. For those wanting fully interactive playsets, I can understand why a simple backdrop wouldn't interest you, but the concerns I hear a lot (and share) is the lack of space. For those of you that don't suffer this issue, I envy you.

Yes, but I'd have to see the price point first.  For instance I like what Ready Setz does, but for a cardboard diorama they've always seemed too expensive to me.  Something in plastic would be ideal, but I'm sure the price would not be something I'd go for.  

13 minutes ago, greenlucario said:

Yes, but I'd have to see the price point first.  For instance I like what Ready Setz does, but for a cardboard diorama they've always seemed too expensive to me.  Something in plastic would be ideal, but I'm sure the price would not be something I'd go for.  

While I agree that they're pricey for cardboard, what I've seen in pictures is some amazing craft. The way it folds back for storage, how it's just cardboard but still has depth and dimensionality for multi floored figure placing, how everything pops up when you start pulling it open, the printed artwork looks better than what I remember from my TMNT playset days, and the size of it assembled. It's something that, as a graphic designer, I can appreciate technically and would more than gladly pay $100 bucks for, but I can't come around to pay the same amount for shipping. 

Then again, I haven't seen them live so I may just be biased by how much work I know had to be put into them.

6 hours ago, monron999 said:

I agree it sounds kinda cheesy but anyone who remembers these things knows it was actually quite durable. It was heavily laminated and almost impossible to rip or bend without intentional force. Much more sturdy than the say the displays included in the McFarlane Movie Maniacs figures back in the 90's.

Admittedly, I can understand ones hesitation to invest in cardboard as a packaged item but for me I see it as paying for the artwork itself to be used to add some flavor for display purposes. If anyone has ever tried to buy comic book prints for decoration they'll understand how much that artwork can cost.

In this case I'd say you'd be paying $20 for a figure and possibly $10 - $15 for the art. For those wanting fully interactive playsets, I can understand why a simple backdrop wouldn't interest you, but the concerns I hear a lot (and share) is the lack of space. For those of you that don't suffer this issue, I envy you.

I just don’t trust the longevity of cardboard 

5 hours ago, memocromatico said:

While I agree that they're pricey for cardboard, what I've seen in pictures is some amazing craft. The way it folds back for storage, how it's just cardboard but still has depth and dimensionality for multi floored figure placing, how everything pops up when you start pulling it open, the printed artwork looks better than what I remember from my TMNT playset days, and the size of it assembled. It's something that, as a graphic designer, I can appreciate technically and would more than gladly pay $100 bucks for, but I can't come around to pay the same amount for shipping. 

Then again, I haven't seen them live so I may just be biased by how much work I know had to be put into them.

They do look amazing, at least online, I haven't seen them in hand.  But at the end of the day I still can't bring myself to shell out $100 for cardboard.  I won't say there's anything better in plastic, the best thing that comes to mind is the TMNT sewer playset from 2003/2004, but that is incredibly limited in retrospect.

20 hours ago, DarthOdette said:

Yeah I can see why you’d say that.  I think that’s probably why it looks better as a shelf than anything else 

yea and that's fine, if anyone wants to get it I don't blame them a bit, its a cool display shelf, but for me I would rather the bottom level have a higher wall for more photo angles  and then it goes up to a rooftop for another display area, Basically I would prefer the middle part left out

23 hours ago, michiganjfrog said:

yea and that's fine, if anyone wants to get it I don't blame them a bit, its a cool display shelf, but for me I would rather the bottom level have a higher wall for more photo angles  and then it goes up to a rooftop for another display area, Basically I would prefer the middle part left out

Right, if you’re buying a means of display, it’s a viable option, but if you’re buying a diorama or playset or a backdrop for photography, it’s not really the best.  Maybe the best option on the market, but still 

I had ordered this 1/12 scale plastic brick assortment from an Ebay seller named gpslot, very affordable prices & the great thing is you can take it all apart & redo another dio. This took me like 6hrs today to do. Think it came out pretty good & makes for a good dio background to take pics of your ML figures instead of using a PC as your background.

DSCF8511.JPG

DSCF8509.JPG

DSCF8507.JPG

2 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

I had ordered this 1/12 scale plastic brick assortment from an Ebay seller named gpslot, very affordable prices & the great thing is you can take it all apart & redo another dio. This took me like 6hrs today to do. Think it came out pretty good & makes for a good dio background to take pics of your ML figures instead of using a PC as your background.

DSCF8511.JPG

DSCF8509.JPG

DSCF8507.JPG

wow that's really cool, ive bought from that seller before but I didn't know they sold that kind of stuff, gonna check them out again