Figures that took you by surprise?

DarthOdette

Nowadays, we see promotional images, YouTube reviews, postings in groups and forums, so it seems like you’re familiar with a figure before you get it in hand.  So my question to you is, what is a recent figure that you’ve gotten that has surprised you in how you felt about it.  That could be you’re surprised you liked it as much as you did, or you were shocked that you didn’t like it.

For me, I was surprised with how little I liked the vintage series Storm that just came out.  Just got her last night and was very indifferent towards it, despite that being my preferred design.  On the flip side, I was surprised how much fun I had with the Klaue from the M’Baku wave.  

But what about you?

4 hours ago, michiganjfrog said:

the star lord from the two pack with ego comes to mind

maybe it was the fact that the groot wave star lord was pretty bad but the two pack version really impressed me

My preferred star lord head comes from that 2-pack, but I actually prefer the body on the single packed figure from the Mantis wave

9 hours ago, DarthOdette said:

That is a gorgeous figure for sure.  She was one that came to mind for me as well

I agree. That figure is really fantastic, but is totally a sleeper because I got that pack for Magneto and I ended up having more fun with Scarlet Witch. Which is why I was so surprised when I saw her being sold loose at toy shop just two weeks ago. I can't believe someone bought that 3pk and immediately sold that figure.

13 hours ago, AnotherPunkChef said:

Scarlet Witch from the Amazon 3 pack, I got it for the Magneto, but she has gotta be the best female figure Hasbro has done, her face sculpt just blew me away.

I bought that set primarily for Scarlet Witch with Quicksilver being the bonus so they could accompany my Avengers set. Magneto was an afterthought, but when I took him out of the package I'm like, "Damn, this is a good Magneto!"

Most pleasant surprise for me is probably the Walgreen's exclusive Silver Surfer. I knew I would like him, but I didn't realize how much I would love him. I've had so much fun posing him and placing him around my home. Probably my favorite Marvel Legends figure at this point.

3 hours ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

I agree. That figure is really fantastic, but is totally a sleeper because I got that pack for Magneto and I ended up having more fun with Scarlet Witch. Which is why I was so surprised when I saw her being sold loose at toy shop just two weeks ago. I can't believe someone bought that 3pk and immediately sold that figure.

Right, I too got the pack for magneto, and I love that figure, but the SW and QS are great and I’m equally glad I got them

2 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

I bought that set primarily for Scarlet Witch with Quicksilver being the bonus so they could accompany my Avengers set. Magneto was an afterthought, but when I took him out of the package I'm like, "Damn, this is a good Magneto!"

Most pleasant surprise for me is probably the Walgreen's exclusive Silver Surfer. I knew I would like him, but I didn't realize how much I would love him. I've had so much fun posing him and placing him around my home. Probably my favorite Marvel Legends figure at this point.

They executed that surfer so well.  I think I was surprised by just how well the chrome came out 

I had a blast with the... completely shocking... Molten man. 

I wasn't sure I'd like it, but as I got more and more pieces of him, he started growing on me. By the time I finished building him, I was surprised how much hate he had. I absolutely love this figure, it such and odd design and so weirdly well executed, but so fun to pose around and just a great centrepiece for a diorama. 

5 hours ago, memocromatico said:

I had a blast with the... completely shocking... Molten man. 

I wasn't sure I'd like it, but as I got more and more pieces of him, he started growing on me. By the time I finished building him, I was surprised how much hate he had. I absolutely love this figure, it such and odd design and so weirdly well executed, but so fun to pose around and just a great centrepiece for a diorama. 

I hadn’t heard there was even hate for him.  I’m surprised by that, it looks like an interesting figure 

3 hours ago, 80sboy4 said:

Yes that Silver Surfer figure really is a great one. I got this when I saw him at Walgreens not thinking how much I would like him. He definitely is a standout on the display!

I was lucky enough to get it on the website right before it hit shelves because I was that excited for it, and was still blown away 

24 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

Silver Surfer is 6'4, the buck they used for him was not the right one to use as it has him looking more like a 6 footer. The Captain Universe buck shoulda been utilized for Norrin Radd. The less I say about the Molten man BAF, the better.

Exhibit A, @DarthOdette.

18 minutes ago, RyanDaly said:

I didn't realize that. Okay, forget everything I said about liking the figure. He sucks. I'm gonna throw him in the dumpster now.

Cut him some slack, man. He's really into the figures being the correct scale and goes back to the official books for their size, regardless of how they are drawn at later times by different artist. It's kind of like his thing to notice.

Just now, DarthOdette said:

Everyone has an opinion

I wasn't complaining, I respect people disliking "Molten Man", I wasn't liking him until I got him. And even having him I can understand people not liking him. I just was surprised by how much I did like him.