Jump to content
DarthOdette

Figures that took you by surprise?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, memocromatico said:

I wasn't complaining, I respect people disliking "Molten Man", I wasn't liking him until I got him. And even having him I can understand people not liking him. I just was surprised by how much I did like him.

I feel you, funny that I’d never heard any negativity (relatively new the the forum) until you pointed it out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a very good site that you can just type in the name of any character that you may wanna know about, it lists all their physical stats as well as powers/abilites. 

http://www.writeups.org/tombstone-spider-man-marvel-comics/

 

Some people get all offended when I bring up the stats on Marvel characters like as if I'm just making them up outta thin air. No, the very people that work at Marvel comics & created the characters, gave em these physical hgts/wgts so I just hold em accountable to stay accurate with  the listed hgts & wgts of the character. If the Surfer's listed hgt is 6'4, then when a figure is getting made of him, someone at Hasbro should be looking at the stats & choosing the correct buck that best suits that character. They totally blew off the wrecking crew when they just phoned them in by using the 10yr old T-bird buck for them & turned them all into 8ft giants when the tallest member is Thunderball at 6'6. I never bought them & really hope that Hasbro does the classic wrecking crew again utilizing the newer Herc & 80th anniv Thor bucks for them.

 

Silver Surfer stats

  • Real Name: Norrin Radd.
  • Marital Status: Single, once betrothed.
  • Known Relatives: Shalla Bal (‘wife’), Jartran Radd (Father, deceased), Elmar Radd (Mother, deceased), Fennan Radd (Half-brother).
  • Group Affiliation: Defenders, The Star Masters.
  • Base Of Operations: Mobile across the Universe.
  • Height: 6’4″ Weight: Unrevealed.
  • Eyes: Black, red or silver Hair: Bald

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Amazon 3 pack of Magneto, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver did take me by surprise, in that I didn't expect it.

 

And the same goes with the Jean Grey, Cyclops and Wolvie 3 pack due out in December.  That Jean Grey is an amazing and uncanny figure as I saw it and touched it at SDCC.   It's beautiful!   And that goes for the upcoming She Hulk figure.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gigantor said:

Some people get all offended when I bring up the stats on Marvel characters like as if I'm just making them up outta thin air. No, the very people that work at Marvel comics & created the characters, gave em these physical hgts/wgts so I just hold em accountable to stay accurate with  the listed hgts & wgts of the character.

Preach, brother/sister!  Technically correct is best correct.  Eye color inaccuracy or inconsistency is my biggest pet peeve for some reason.  Wolverine is a major offender, here.  I see him with brown eyes a lot.  The Marvel wiki and some other sources have it as "blue".  The OHOTMU (my personally recognized authority) lists "black".  I remember seeing Jean Grey with blue eyes a lot back in the day.  They should be green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

Here's a very good site that you can just type in the name of any character that you may wanna know about, it lists all their physical stats as well as powers/abilites. 

http://www.writeups.org/tombstone-spider-man-marvel-comics/

 

Some people get all offended when I bring up the stats on Marvel characters like as if I'm just making them up outta thin air. No, the very people that work at Marvel comics & created the characters, gave em these physical hgts/wgts so I just hold em accountable to stay accurate with  the listed hgts & wgts of the character. If the Surfer's listed hgt is 6'4, then when a figure is getting made of him, someone at Hasbro should be looking at the stats & choosing the correct buck that best suits that character. They totally blew off the wrecking crew when they just phoned them in by using the 10yr old T-bird buck for them & turned them all into 8ft giants when the tallest member is Thunderball at 6'6. I never bought them & really hope that Hasbro does the classic wrecking crew again utilizing the newer Herc & 80th anniv Thor bucks for them.

 

Silver Surfer stats

  • Real Name: Norrin Radd.
  • Marital Status: Single, once betrothed.
  • Known Relatives: Shalla Bal (‘wife’), Jartran Radd (Father, deceased), Elmar Radd (Mother, deceased), Fennan Radd (Half-brother).
  • Group Affiliation: Defenders, The Star Masters.
  • Base Of Operations: Mobile across the Universe.
  • Height: 6’4″ Weight: Unrevealed.
  • Eyes: Black, red or silver Hair: Bald

I just can’t help but wonder if many artists actually refer to this and keep to it.  I mean, how many times have we seen Ben Grim Thing at 6’, but under a different artist he’s 8’.  I definitely don’t get offended, I think it’s fair to want a standard, but for me personally, I don’t care too much because different artists will do things differently 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Darth_Primus said:

The Amazon 3 pack of Magneto, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver did take me by surprise, in that I didn't expect it.

 

And the same goes with the Jean Grey, Cyclops and Wolvie 3 pack due out in December.  That Jean Grey is an amazing and uncanny figure as I saw it and touched it at SDCC.   It's beautiful!   And that goes for the upcoming She Hulk figure.   

I’m not as excited by she hulk, it’s not the design I feel like We’ve been missing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MonsterChris said:

Preach, brother/sister!  Technically correct is best correct.  Eye color inaccuracy or inconsistency is my biggest pet peeve for some reason.  Wolverine is a major offender, here.  I see him with brown eyes a lot.  The Marvel wiki and some other sources have it as "blue".  The OHOTMU (my personally recognized authority) lists "black".  I remember seeing Jean Grey with blue eyes a lot back in the day.  They should be green.

I use OHOTMU as well. Main problem  IMO is that over at Marvel comics nowadays, the editors/writers & artists have very little or zero respect for the source material & they just do whatever they want with certain well established characters.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Gigantor said:

Some people get all offended when I bring up the stats on Marvel characters like as if I'm just making them up outta thin air. No, the very people that work at Marvel comics & created the characters, gave em these physical hgts/wgts so I just hold em accountable to stay accurate with  the listed hgts & wgts of the character. If the Surfer's listed hgt is 6'4, then when a figure is getting made of him, someone at Hasbro should be looking at the stats & choosing the correct buck that best suits that character. They totally blew off the wrecking crew when they just phoned them in by using the 10yr old T-bird buck for them & turned them all into 8ft giants when the tallest member is Thunderball at 6'6. I never bought them & really hope that Hasbro does the classic wrecking crew again utilizing the newer Herc & 80th anniv Thor bucks for them.

I was about to say "I don't think offended is the right way to put it", but there was a defensive remark previously that I did answer to chill. I don't think you're wrong to want consistency. Don't take those comments personally 🙂 As I said before, I enjoy reading your height complaints because it teaches me about certain characters actual height.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, memocromatico said:

Cut him some slack, man. He's really into the figures being the correct scale and goes back to the official books for their size, regardless of how they are drawn at later times by different artist. It's kind of like his thing to notice.

 

1 hour ago, Gigantor said:

Some people get all offended when I bring up the stats on Marvel characters like as if I'm just making them up outta thin air. No, the very people that work at Marvel comics & created the characters, gave em these physical hgts/wgts so I just hold em accountable to stay accurate with  the listed hgts & wgts of the character. If the Surfer's listed hgt is 6'4, then when a figure is getting made of him, someone at Hasbro should be looking at the stats & choosing the correct buck that best suits that character.

I realize my post may have come off way more harsh than intended. While I was being snarky, I didn’t mean it to sound like an attack on @Gigantor or anyone else. No offense intended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess because I grew up reading Marvel comics in an era where Marvel adhered to the listed hgts/wgts of their characters & drew them in their correct hgts, I got used to thinking it would always be that way & that the editors, who's main job is to spot/point out inaccuracies/mistakes & have the writer/artist correct them & nowadays, I just feel like the staff at Marvel could give 2 poops about respecting the source material. An artist wants to draw the Thing as an 8 footer, editor says, "feh, knock yourself out", Same thig seems to be going on at Hasbro, who ever's in charge at Marvel of OKing said figure should have looked at the Thing prototype & said, "nope, too big in hgt, knock off an inch",  When it comes to characters that are heavily muscled/thick like Thanos, Hulk, Thing, Juggernaut, Abom, Rhino, I'd happily lose the double elbow, double knee POA in place of being the correct scale & thickness. All those figures mentioned are at least an inch + too tall. Thanos is listed as being 6'7 but thanks to the MCU, he's now an 8 footer so of course the comics have to follow suit, Jugs was originally 6'10 but nope, let's push him up to almost 9ft tall for no other reason than artistic license cuz ya know, being 6'10 isn't big enough. Kingpin BAF is at least an inch too big as well, he's 6'8, now he is drawn as being a 7-8 footer as well.  I know that the odds of ever getting any or all of these large sized characters ever getting re-done at their more correct hgts is slim to none but I just hope that Hasbro does their best to make characters truer to their actual hgts in the comics with future releases.  I'll wait for a Perez based Beast to be done as the Jim Lee version is over scaled as well. Hank McCoy is 5'11, not 6'6. 

ff_comicfeatures.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DarthOdette said:

I’m not as excited by she hulk, it’s not the design I feel like We’ve been missing

I completely agree. She-Hulk is one of my favorites. I would love a figure based on Byrne’s Sensational She-Hulk, or one in the Fantastic Four costume, or even a first appearance Savage She-Hulk. Any of those would be awesome. Instead, we get the new gray-hued stupid version. Blech!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I felt like we had this topic awhile back, infact we totally did, but anyways

as of recent I gotta say I was actually surprised by how much I like Hydro-Man, I really didn't care about him intially, mainly because I hate the head sculpt but after seeing him in person with those awesome huge translucent water arms I really changed (I love clear figs) , after I changed his head I liked him even more, he really stands out in the collection. Another figure that comes to mind is Ex Nilhlo , I intially really could have cared less about this figure but over time I have grown to be quite fond of him, the gold is awesome and the head sculpt (and I'm a sucker for that standard big buff buck) figure also looks awesome amongst the collection, Silver Samurai also I thought was cool but owning him and holding the fig he's really great.

there is probably alot more but those are currently what comes to mind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RyanDaly said:

I completely agree. She-Hulk is one of my favorites. I would love a figure based on Byrne’s Sensational She-Hulk, or one in the Fantastic Four costume, or even a first appearance Savage She-Hulk. Any of those would be awesome. Instead, we get the new gray-hued stupid version. Blech!

Fantastic 4 is what I was hoping for but I feel like that won’t pop up anywhere outside of a box set 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

I felt like we had this topic awhile back, infact we totally did, but anyways

as of recent I gotta say I was actually surprised by how much I like Hydro-Man, I really didn't care about him intially, mainly because I hate the head sculpt but after seeing him in person with those awesome huge translucent water arms I really changed (I love clear figs) , after I changed his head I liked him even more, he really stands out in the collection. Another figure that comes to mind is Ex Nilhlo , I intially really could have cared less about this figure but over time I have grown to be quite fond of him, the gold is awesome and the head sculpt (and I'm a sucker for that standard big buff buck) figure also looks awesome amongst the collection, Silver Samurai also I thought was cool but owning him and holding the fig he's really great.

there is probably alot more but those are currently what comes to mind

Sorry if it’s a repeat, I just joined early this month 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm...got a few.

-Night Thrasher: Didn't want him, didn't expect much from him, but I've been eating those thoughts ever since, great figure, and I'm genuinely glad to have him.  

-Scarlet Witch (3 pack): Always wanted the 3 pack for this figure, but the figure just turned out that amazing, one of my top figures of the year, and one of the best ML female figures.

-Elektra: Same thing as Scarlet Witch, the figure really turned out great, especially with a head sculpt that blew me away.

-Thanos (Comic, Walmart Exclusive): It's amazing what a new paint job can do for a figure.  Not only was it head and shoulders above the original BAF release, it made for a good comic stand in on anyone's shelf.

I'm sure there's a few more, but those are just off the top of my head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Shop for Marvel Action Figures

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Not sure it has been posted but check Rite-Aid stores. Legends are beginning to show up there now since Walgreens bought most of the company.  Have seen finds posted on a few Legends groups
    • I think you are overestimating how often characters change outfit. The cases of Captain America and Thor are particular since they've had a past couple of hectic years with several temporary changes which I would consider an exception and not the norm. In the case of Spider-Man, he has only had one major change in the past five years; of using the Spider-Armor between 2015 and 2017. It's also worth pointing out that this was Spider-Man's only main costume change in the modern era. Also, the Spider-Armor got a figure in 2017, in the MJ Watson 2-pack. Even then, Hasbro has delivered modern versions of characters. But my issue is how slow they are at doing so. I think Hasbro should be able to keep up if they became as involved with the comic division as they are with the movie side. Using modern outfit changes as an example, Spider-Man used the Spider-Armor between 2015 and 2017, and it only got a figure in 2017. Iron Man's Bleeding Edge Armor was 2010-2012, w/figure in 2013. His Marvel NOW! Armor was 2012-2015, w/figure in 2015. His Model-Prime Armor was 2015-2016, w/figure in 2018. Captain America's Marvel NOW! uniform lasted from 2012 to 2014, w/figure in 2014. Thor's Marvel NOW! suit was 2012-2014, w/figure in 2015. His first Unworthy outfit was 2014-2017, w/figure in 2017. Something similar has happened with other topical characters, like Jane Fosthor who lasted 2014-2018, w/figure in 2017. FalCap was 2014-2017, w/figure in 2016. Ms. Marvel debuted in 2014 and got a figure in 2016. Miles Morales in 2011 and we only got a proper figure in 2016 (not counting the bad 2012 attempt). All of the modern outfits I mentioned had a pretty long life span of a couple of years, but Hasbro only made a figure for them when they were about to be ditched or were already ditched. In contrast, Hasbro works very tightly with Marvel Studios, allowing them to plan figures well in advance and release them either shortly before or shortly after a movie comes out. Even a delayed figure like the Iron Man MK 85 is coming out on the same year it debuted. For movie figures, 7 months is an eternity, but I'd be beyond shocked if Hasbro managed to pull that off for a comic look. I need to go on a tangent and speak a little bit about the Iron Man Marvel NOW! armor and how odd I find it because the armor debuted in 2012, and Hasbro already had a comic-accurate 3D model of it as eary as 2013 which they used for the Avengers Assemble 3.75" line. However, it only got a Marvel Legends in 2015, which lazily used a repainted MCU MK IV mold (which was inaccurate for the armor it was meant to portray). I think this could be an indicative that Hasbro can have the resources to release topical figures much earlier than they do.
    • It looks really cool but I still think Hasbro will release a MK 85 with the back piece or a battle damaged one with a bloody RDJ head and a snapping hand.
    • I think this is one of the better head sculpts Hasbro's done with the new face printing tech.
    • Looks awesome!! So much better than the wave 2 War Machine figure. I just wish that instead of it coming with 2 Thor heads, it would come with an unmasked Rodey head and a Thor head with removable shades.


×
×
  • Create New...







Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE