Marvel Legends Packaging

komododragin

I like the retro style packaging for Marvel Legends, but I don't really like the new style for the regular line. I think the original packaging was better because it made toy-jacking more difficult. I know this has already been discussed, but I'm wondering if they might consider switching to a different style of packaging again. Do you like the current packaging or do you think they should change it?

which one do you mean, the Toybiz version or the Hasbro versions?

While I do think the swapping is a problem, I think Hasbro should keep the one they have been using as it is more environmentally friendly. If they went with the retro version, the plastic and cardboard will be stuck together and not good for recycling.

Plus the normal box is design to be alot smaller and easier to pack and send out to stores. 

and dear god no Clamshells. They were a nightmare to open.

8 minutes ago, tarot said:

Plus the normal box is design to be alot smaller and easier to pack and send out to stores. 

and dear god no Clamshells. They were a nightmare to open.

I'm talking about the Hasbro version. It's nice that it's environmentally friendly, but isn't there some middle ground to keep it better protected on the outside, such as adding more cardboard to the areas where the toy wouldn't be blocked to keep the plastic more secure.

I like the current packaging. It's compact, classy-looking, easy to open, fully recyclable, well-proportioned for slatwall, etc. If the occasional misdeeds of dishonest fans is the price we pay for the above, it isn't too high for me. If they could keep all of the above features and also make the improvements necessary to cut down on parts-swapping, I wouldn't complain, but it feels like a losing fight.

Gotta say, i like it better when the packaging art on the back showed product images by guys like Jerry Wilson as opposed to comic art/movie stills.

If I like the art on the box, I'll flatten the cardboard and save it.  If the cardboard insert is one i don't already have, i'll flatten and save it as a potential diorama background (although i've nearly never made use of this option).  I always recycle the plastic shells altho i saved a few of the prism plastic overlays to potentially use as sort of a forcefield imprisoning effect (especially to use with Invisible Woman). 

While i don't run into a ton of fig swapping in my area, i'm not a fan of the  how the new packaging seems to make it that much easier for fig swappers.  Although that perhaps is overstated; it i think fig swappers generally buy the fig and then take advantage of generous return policies rather than doing swaps in-store. 

I do like the vintage packaging and the 80th anniversary packaging. The vintage ones i try to preserve by cutting along the bottom to slide the inner plastic tray out while keeping the outer bubble mostly intact.   The 80th ones i save the cardboard parts and flatten. i think the 80th hulk packaging was particularly nice.

3 minutes ago, AnotherPunkChef said:

Just read a statement on Hasbro's website saying they were going to eliminate ALL plastic packaging from their products between 2020 and 2022... https://newsroom.hasbro.com/news-releases/news-release-details/hasbro-phase-out-plastic-new-toy-and-game-packaging

Yeah, I came in here to talk about just this. It really makes me wonder what the future might hold for action figure packaging. Ultimately I don't care how it's delivered so long as I'm able to view the item before purchasing.

4 minutes ago, AnotherPunkChef said:

Just read a statement on Hasbro's website saying they were going to eliminate ALL plastic packaging from their products between 2020 and 2022... https://newsroom.hasbro.com/news-releases/news-release-details/hasbro-phase-out-plastic-new-toy-and-game-packaging

well you can't say Hasbro isn't concern about their image and the environment. 

18 minutes ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

Yeah, I came in here to talk about just this. It really makes me wonder what the future might hold for action figure packaging. Ultimately I don't care how it's delivered so long as I'm able to view the item before purchasing.

I think it's gonna bite us in the ass one way or another, either they do a windowless box, and we can't see the product, or they do open boxes (like "try me!" kids toys) and that makes it SUPER easy to jack figures and BAF parts...

2 hours ago, SolidSnakeEyes said:

yea that would be the only issue, if they stepped up their QC game so we didn't have to worry about getting a dud with bad paint aps im all for a solid box,otherwise its going to be annoying

I could careless about how they are packaged as long as we get the goods! , but however I am a huge fan of the current standard packaging and wouldn't like to see them change preferably but if they did I'd have no gripes over it, just don't make it easier for people to swap parts out and botch the product , in my area this is a huge problem, so I'd not like to see more of it

2 hours ago, AnotherPunkChef said:

I think it's gonna bite us in the ass one way or another, either they do a windowless box, and we can't see the product, or they do open boxes (like "try me!" kids toys) and that makes it SUPER easy to jack figures and BAF parts...

In the end, it's all gonna come down to not hunting them at retail. If they do an all online line without window boxes they rid of plastic and rid of part swappers, let's just hope that QC doesn't fall down like with the Poe Dameron fig from TLJ.

5 hours ago, AnotherPunkChef said:

This does not look good, and it's the exact opposite of what I had hoped for

3 hours ago, memocromatico said:

In the end, it's all gonna come down to not hunting them at retail. If they do an all online line without window boxes they rid of plastic and rid of part swappers, let's just hope that QC doesn't fall down like with the Poe Dameron fig from TLJ.

This might hurt physical retailers. People buy from them to see what they're getting, but if they do a closed box packaging, that won't matter anymore.

13 hours ago, komododragin said:

This might hurt physical retailers. People buy from them to see what they're getting, but if they do a closed box packaging, that won't matter anymore.

Well... of course it will. But from my POV, I don't even do retail hunting anymore. It's taxing, expensive, and disappointing most of the time. Most of my purchases come from online sellers, I don't get to see what I buy anyway. That way I guarantee I get what I ordered, at least, and swappers are erradicated. And less waste plastic too, which is always great.

I typically use Extreme Sets' dioramas for photo taking.   I do collect toys, so I do have space issues, which is why I like Extreme Sets are cardboard backgrounds as I can pack them away and store under the bed.   Unlike NECA's street diorama, which I love, it's pretty much fixed as a space eater on my floor. 

I have this Batcave playset from the "Batman v. Superman" movie that's sitting in my garage because I can't take it apart without breaking the connecting joints (it would seem).

On 8/20/2019 at 6:58 PM, komododragin said:

I can’t imagine a closed packaging where you can’t really see how well the paint apps are, but the same can be said about online shopping as well where get what was packaged.  I just want something I’m not going to slice my hand open while trying to get a figure out.