Obscure waves or figures we'll never get.

AnotherPunkChef

On 9/12/2019 at 5:56 PM, michiganjfrog said:

Id buy it, I wonder how controversial it would be though

Would it be THAT controversial though? I get Cultural Appropriation is bad but isn’t the Adversary a true American Indian or American Indian Spirit? Seems like if it is a true representation of a groups heritage wouldn’t twist as many shorts. 

I vaguely recall this character so if I am remembering his origins wrong I apologize up front.

Some obscure characters I’d like to see to fill out my Avengers roster are:

Silverclaw

Deathcry

Comic Mantis 

Moondragon

Shroud

Not as obscure but overdo

Tigra

Safari Wonderman

Swordsman

classic Monica Captain Marvel

In truth with some oddball choices we’ve gotten lately I may get my wish for a few of these

1 hour ago, McHogan said:

Would it be THAT controversial though? I get Cultural Appropriation is bad but isn’t the Adversary a true American Indian or American Indian Spirit? Seems like if it is a true representation of a groups heritage wouldn’t twist as many shorts. 

I vaguely recall this character so if I am remembering his origins wrong I apologize up front.

yea i wouldn't think so either ,but it seems nowadays everything is so touchy and can snowball into controversy lol

9 hours ago, nieman257 said:

I don't think we'll get Count Nefaria 

any reason why?  Seems like he would be an easy figure to make and is a pretty heavy hitting avengers villain.  Plus hasbro could  just repaint him and to make Graviton.  I'm not sure if either has been in the comics lmuch ately, the last i recall for Nefaria was his appearance in Bendis' Moon Knight run.

11 hours ago, McHogan said:

Some obscure characters I’d like to see to fill out my Avengers roster are:

Silverclaw

Deathcry

Comic Mantis 

Moondragon

Shroud

Not as obscure but overdo

Tigra

Safari Wonderman

Swordsman

classic Monica Captain Marvel

In truth with some oddball choices we’ve gotten lately I may get my wish for a few of these

Yeah I would love to have a dark ms marvel to finish my dark avengers

5 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

any reason why?  Seems like he would be an easy figure to make and is a pretty heavy hitting avengers villain.  Plus hasbro could  just repaint him and to make Graviton.  I'm not sure if either has been in the comics lmuch ately, the last i recall for Nefaria was his appearance in Bendis' Moon Knight run.

Neferia was last seen in Spider-Geddon while Graviton was last seen in Secret Empire and Agents of Shield. Both could easily be made and are powerful Avengers villains

On 9/14/2019 at 4:09 AM, McHogan said:

Yeah, but he was created by white writers who were inspired by Native American stereotypes, so I can kinda see where the cultural appropriation argument is coming from. It's the same reason the classic, traditionally dressed warmonger Mandarin was changed to a cyborg in a business suit. 

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with this point of view, I think it's important to recognize the difference between purposefully hurtful stereotypes and a character like Adversary who just takes inspiration from other cultures. But from a business point of view, it makes sense why Hasbro is staying away from a potentially offensive character. Now you know why we'll never see a classic Man-Ape BAF.

9 hours ago, WilsonFisk4President said:

Yeah, but he was created by white writers who were inspired by Native American stereotypes, so I can kinda see where the cultural appropriation argument is coming from. It's the same reason the classic, traditionally dressed warmonger Mandarin was changed to a cyborg in a business suit. 

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with this point of view, I think it's important to recognize the difference between purposefully hurtful stereotypes and a character like Adversary who just takes inspiration from other cultures. But from a business point of view, it makes sense why Hasbro is staying away from a potentially offensive character. Now you know why we'll never see a classic Man-Ape BAF.

Valid points for sure. Re-reading some stories from both a Marvel and DC (Egg-Fu smh) from the 60’s and 70’s and their portrayal of stereotypes of minorities is cringeworthy to put it mildly. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mako said:

Not even sure if Marvel even still owns those Malibu characters, but man I would love a Night Man figure. 

They own the rights but their has never been a definitive reason on why they haven't been used. If they could we could also get: ULTRAFORCE!

spacer.png

I was having a convo with one of my buddies and my girlfriend about some figures we'd wish they'd release some new ones came to mind

Gorr The God Butcher

Shamrock

Chthon (whom I also mentioned for a box set)

Black Spectre

Le Beaver

Crater

Warwolf (probably on an old list but still stands)

Jenny Cesare

Spider-Man 2211

Jenna Cole

Morpheus

Manhibian (although he was def on one of my list way back, still stands would be amazing)

36 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

I was having a convo with one of my buddies and my girlfriend about some figures we'd wish they'd release some new ones came to mind

Gorr The God Butcher

Shamrock

Chthon (whom I also mentioned for a box set)

Black Spectre

Le Beaver

Crater

Warwolf (probably on an old list but still stands)

Jenny Cesare

Spider-Man 2211

Jenna Cole

Morpheus

Manhibian (although he was def on one of my list way back, still stands would be amazing)

Shamrock would be one figure I wouldn't want to see

3 hours ago, leokearon said:

Shamrock would be one figure I wouldn't want to see

Wow, that's a name i haven't heard in awhile.  I vaguely remember the character from the Contest of Champions mini way back when, but don't think i've seen her (?) since.

1 hour ago, shatonamime said:

I feel like we'll never get a Frankie Raye Nova figure as Marvel completely dropped Nova, killed her, hid her and just decided to make the character go away in favor of the other Nova characters. A toy would be so nice

Its a shame because she had a pretty cool design and, like Monica Rambeau, seemed to get sidelined when marvel wanted to give the moniker back to another character.  I still have a Nova figure from an older toyline that lacks articulation (except for, oddly enough, her flaming hair).. it holds up pretty well but i'm sure hasbro could do better.

6 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

Wow, that's a name i haven't heard in awhile.  I vaguely remember the character from the Contest of Champions mini way back when, but don't think i've seen her (?) since.

Its a shame because she had a pretty cool design and, like Monica Rambeau, seemed to get sidelined when marvel wanted to give the moniker back to another character.  I still have a Nova figure from an older toyline that lacks articulation (except for, oddly enough, her flaming hair).. it holds up pretty well but i'm sure hasbro could do better.

Shamrock last appeared in Fearless Defenders were she now runs an Irish Pub in New York

3 hours ago, mako said:

I figure she's got as good a chance as any other Marvel character. Maybe even slightly better with the MCU shifting focus to the cosmic arena for a bit, since Hasbro tends to play toward the movies somewhat.

That being said, I doubt they'll call her "Nova" given all the attention Rich Ryder as been getting lately, but yeah, we could totally see a Frankie Raye figure.

We have had two Scarlet Spider Figures, no reason we can't have 3 Nova figures

34 minutes ago, mako said:

No doubt. Still, from the smack talking black guy with a heart of gold, the angry black woman, the super tech-savvy kung-fu master Asian, to the clueless hillbilly yokel, comics are a medium of stereotypes. It's not a perfect situation, but until writers start learning how to write again, that's the Heck we live in.

Plus we can all think of a lot worse stereotypes.

Probably, it would help if writers actually researched the locations or better yet get people who live there to write about that country's characters