Jump to content
AnotherPunkChef

Obscure waves or figures we'll never get.

Recommended Posts

On 9/12/2019 at 5:56 PM, michiganjfrog said:

Id buy it, I wonder how controversial it would be though

Would it be THAT controversial though? I get Cultural Appropriation is bad but isn’t the Adversary a true American Indian or American Indian Spirit? Seems like if it is a true representation of a groups heritage wouldn’t twist as many shorts. 

I vaguely recall this character so if I am remembering his origins wrong I apologize up front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some obscure characters I’d like to see to fill out my Avengers roster are:

Silverclaw

Deathcry

Comic Mantis 

Moondragon

Shroud

Not as obscure but overdo

Tigra

Safari Wonderman

Swordsman

classic Monica Captain Marvel

In truth with some oddball choices we’ve gotten lately I may get my wish for a few of these

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McHogan said:

Would it be THAT controversial though? I get Cultural Appropriation is bad but isn’t the Adversary a true American Indian or American Indian Spirit? Seems like if it is a true representation of a groups heritage wouldn’t twist as many shorts. 

I vaguely recall this character so if I am remembering his origins wrong I apologize up front.

yea i wouldn't think so either ,but it seems nowadays everything is so touchy and can snowball into controversy lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, michiganjfrog said:

yea i wouldn't think so either ,but it seems nowadays everything is so touchy and can snowball into controversy lol

 

agreed. See it on every message board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, nieman257 said:

I don't think we'll get Count Nefaria 

any reason why?  Seems like he would be an easy figure to make and is a pretty heavy hitting avengers villain.  Plus hasbro could  just repaint him and to make Graviton.  I'm not sure if either has been in the comics lmuch ately, the last i recall for Nefaria was his appearance in Bendis' Moon Knight run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, McHogan said:

Some obscure characters I’d like to see to fill out my Avengers roster are:

Silverclaw

Deathcry

Comic Mantis 

Moondragon

Shroud

Not as obscure but overdo

Tigra

Safari Wonderman

Swordsman

classic Monica Captain Marvel

In truth with some oddball choices we’ve gotten lately I may get my wish for a few of these

Yeah I would love to have a dark ms marvel to finish my dark avengers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

any reason why?  Seems like he would be an easy figure to make and is a pretty heavy hitting avengers villain.  Plus hasbro could  just repaint him and to make Graviton.  I'm not sure if either has been in the comics lmuch ately, the last i recall for Nefaria was his appearance in Bendis' Moon Knight run.

Neferia was last seen in Spider-Geddon while Graviton was last seen in Secret Empire and Agents of Shield. Both could easily be made and are powerful Avengers villains

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2019 at 4:09 AM, McHogan said:

Would it be THAT controversial though? I get Cultural Appropriation is bad but isn’t the Adversary a true American Indian or American Indian Spirit? Seems like if it is a true representation of a groups heritage wouldn’t twist as many shorts. 

I vaguely recall this character so if I am remembering his origins wrong I apologize up front.

Yeah, but he was created by white writers who were inspired by Native American stereotypes, so I can kinda see where the cultural appropriation argument is coming from. It's the same reason the classic, traditionally dressed warmonger Mandarin was changed to a cyborg in a business suit. 

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with this point of view, I think it's important to recognize the difference between purposefully hurtful stereotypes and a character like Adversary who just takes inspiration from other cultures. But from a business point of view, it makes sense why Hasbro is staying away from a potentially offensive character. Now you know why we'll never see a classic Man-Ape BAF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, WilsonFisk4President said:

Yeah, but he was created by white writers who were inspired by Native American stereotypes, so I can kinda see where the cultural appropriation argument is coming from. It's the same reason the classic, traditionally dressed warmonger Mandarin was changed to a cyborg in a business suit. 

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with this point of view, I think it's important to recognize the difference between purposefully hurtful stereotypes and a character like Adversary who just takes inspiration from other cultures. But from a business point of view, it makes sense why Hasbro is staying away from a potentially offensive character. Now you know why we'll never see a classic Man-Ape BAF.

Valid points for sure. Re-reading some stories from both a Marvel and DC (Egg-Fu smh) from the 60’s and 70’s and their portrayal of stereotypes of minorities is cringeworthy to put it mildly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not even sure if Marvel even still owns those Malibu characters, but man I would love a Night Man figure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mako said:

Not even sure if Marvel even still owns those Malibu characters, but man I would love a Night Man figure. 

They own the rights but their has never been a definitive reason on why they haven't been used. If they could we could also get: ULTRAFORCE!

spacer.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, leokearon said:

They own the rights but their has never been a definitive reason on why they haven't been used. If they could we could also get: ULTRAFORCE!

spacer.png

 

Pardon my French, but #e11 YES that would be awesome.

Though, full disclosure, my interest in Night Man is mainly from the live action TV series. Of course since my chances of getting a Hardcase, Prime or Topaz are slightly more likely than scoring Manimal, Zentare, or TVs Black Knight, I'd take whatever I could get.*

 

* Though a "Riders" set with Johnny Domino and the show's Plymouth Prowler would make up for A LOT of Hasbro's sins, both past and future, in my book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mako said:

Pardon my French, but #e11 YES that would be awesome.

I half believe that ain't french.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

I half believe that ain't french.

"Would you believe . . . 

. . . the fan-boy prattling of a half-crazed Arkansan?"

Get-Smart-Charcoal-Pinstripe-Three-Piece-Suit-2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, mako said:

"Would you believe . . . 

. . . the fan-boy prattling of a half-crazed Arkansan?"

Get-Smart-Charcoal-Pinstripe-Three-Piece-Suit-2.jpg

I wholly would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Hasbro, where is the love for me and my friends? Why the kcuf does Rock python of all obscure characters get a figure before us? Stop ignoring us and just release us as a three-pack already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was having a convo with one of my buddies and my girlfriend about some figures we'd wish they'd release some new ones came to mind

Gorr The God Butcher

Shamrock

Chthon (whom I also mentioned for a box set)

Black Spectre

Le Beaver

Crater

Warwolf (probably on an old list but still stands)

Jenny Cesare

Spider-Man 2211

Jenna Cole

Morpheus

Manhibian (although he was def on one of my list way back, still stands would be amazing)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

I was having a convo with one of my buddies and my girlfriend about some figures we'd wish they'd release some new ones came to mind

Gorr The God Butcher

Shamrock

Chthon (whom I also mentioned for a box set)

Black Spectre

Le Beaver

Crater

Warwolf (probably on an old list but still stands)

Jenny Cesare

Spider-Man 2211

Jenna Cole

Morpheus

Manhibian (although he was def on one of my list way back, still stands would be amazing)

 

Shamrock would be one figure I wouldn't want to see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like we'll never get a Frankie Raye Nova figure as Marvel completely dropped Nova, killed her, hid her and just decided to make the character go away in favor of the other Nova characters. A toy would be so nice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, leokearon said:

 

Shamrock would be one figure I wouldn't want to see

Wow, that's a name i haven't heard in awhile.  I vaguely remember the character from the Contest of Champions mini way back when, but don't think i've seen her (?) since.

1 hour ago, shatonamime said:

I feel like we'll never get a Frankie Raye Nova figure as Marvel completely dropped Nova, killed her, hid her and just decided to make the character go away in favor of the other Nova characters. A toy would be so nice

Its a shame because she had a pretty cool design and, like Monica Rambeau, seemed to get sidelined when marvel wanted to give the moniker back to another character.  I still have a Nova figure from an older toyline that lacks articulation (except for, oddly enough, her flaming hair).. it holds up pretty well but i'm sure hasbro could do better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, shatonamime said:

I feel like we'll never get a Frankie Raye Nova figure as Marvel completely dropped Nova, killed her, hid her and just decided to make the character go away in favor of the other Nova characters. A toy would be so nice

I figure she's got as good a chance as any other Marvel character. Maybe even slightly better with the MCU shifting focus to the cosmic arena for a bit, since Hasbro tends to play toward the movies somewhat.

That being said, I doubt they'll call her "Nova" given all the attention Rich Ryder as been getting lately, but yeah, we could totally see a Frankie Raye figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

Wow, that's a name i haven't heard in awhile.  I vaguely remember the character from the Contest of Champions mini way back when, but don't think i've seen her (?) since.

Its a shame because she had a pretty cool design and, like Monica Rambeau, seemed to get sidelined when marvel wanted to give the moniker back to another character.  I still have a Nova figure from an older toyline that lacks articulation (except for, oddly enough, her flaming hair).. it holds up pretty well but i'm sure hasbro could do better.

Shamrock last appeared in Fearless Defenders were she now runs an Irish Pub in New York

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mako said:

I figure she's got as good a chance as any other Marvel character. Maybe even slightly better with the MCU shifting focus to the cosmic arena for a bit, since Hasbro tends to play toward the movies somewhat.

That being said, I doubt they'll call her "Nova" given all the attention Rich Ryder as been getting lately, but yeah, we could totally see a Frankie Raye figure.

We have had two Scarlet Spider Figures, no reason we can't have 3 Nova figures

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Shop for Marvel Action Figures

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • If we got one or two all MCU Legends waves for the Disney+ shows including Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Wandavision, Loki, What If...?, and Hawkeye then what 6-7 figures would you want in the wave and who would be the BAF? Maybe even two waves if you want. For me it would be. Wave One: 1. Falcon 2. Bucky 3. U.S. Agent 4. Baron Zemo 5.  Sharon Carter 6. Lady Loki/ Enchantress (Whoever Sophia Di Martino is playing) BAF: Maybe Red Hulk but I doubt it (The Thunderbolts may be set up in Falcon and thet Winter Soldier, but I doubt that we would actually see Red Hulk) Wave Two: 1. Agatha Harkness (Or the Grim Reaper or whoever the villain of the series is) 2. Darcy/Jimmy Woo/ Monica Rambeau/ Whoever Kathryn Hahn is playing which might actually be Agatha Harkness 3. The Watcher 4. Captain Carter 5.  Zombie Cap 6. Kate Bishop (Should come with Lucky the Pizza dog who was teased in recent concept art) BAF: Maybe Steve Rogers' Iron Man amour from What If...?    
    • Iceman was awesome looking in AoA. I like when they can pull of a weird sized figure. Giant spiked shoulders and fists. Huge, ice-slide body. Could be cool.
    • Didn't he have some giant sized appearances in his battle with Magneto in Amazing X-Men? I was actually thinking of the sentinels as a BAF the other day. They would indeed be cool. Could Hasbro do something that big anymore? The TB one was huge, and Fin Fang Foom was huge. How expensive would that line have to be to accommodate the cost of so much plastic. Maybe they choose all small characters: Lava-lamp Shadow King with a Sentinel leg. Tiny Sugarman a la X-Men Omega with the torso....
    • Maybe there's something to it, maybe not, but you can make the argument that she is showing a lot of skin, but anyone who has (or has even seen) the figure knows she has been very obviously "uncurved" on one of the character's most prominent "assets". Not being a "perv" but if they'd had somehow combined the accuracy of the Puck wave figure and the quality of this figure, it woulda been just that much better. It's a great figure with an amazing head sculpt but things like this and also the abandonment of the Moonstone mold and the lack of a very classic character such as Tigra (guarantee, she will get the bodysuit treatment) at least give the impression that there is an effort to tone down the female figures. There is no proof, nobody's offered an official statement, and any time on of the creative team has been cornered with the question they've been able to masterfully sidestep the issue. I'm sure someone's ready to blast out with the Angela figure and that's a great argument, but that was one great effort from a few years ago and it's been downhill ever since.
    • I already have the classic versions of the FF, with that I don't really need any new versions of the original 4. (unless they update Human Torch on the Sunfire mold. Wave 3: 1. The Watcher W/FLIGHT STAND (Um hello, Been waiting on this) 2. Classic Ronan 3. Champion 4. Psycho Man 5. Future Foundation Doom 6. Molecule Man    BAF: Dragon Man, Rawr! Possible substitutes: Alternate BAF: Classic BLASTAAR or Annihilus Baghead Spider-man, FF She-hulk (Obviously), Alternate-Attachments for Mr. Fantastic, Firelord, Kang, Mole-man, FF Wolverine.   


×
×
  • Create New...







Entertainment News International (ENI) is the popular culture network for fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE