Disney Abandons Spidey Over Disney-Sony Standoff And Takes Feige With Them

JayC

31 minutes ago, DarthOdette said:

Idk, I mean, I agree that he is great, but I wouldn’t want to watch a continuation of the character in a completely different universe without the progression of the story that is already underway 

yea I agree, I just don't want to see another reboot

unless they can fast  forward to an older peter right away whos been fighting crime for years and get out of the high school phase

Ya this ones all Disney fault for being greedy. I hate Sony most of the time but this was all Disney. I was super surprised it wasn't Sony's fault this time around. Disney doesn't need anymore money, they all ready own everything. Except spider man, of course. Greedy mouse messin things up again! Sony are still under contract for one more spidy movie so we will see how that goes. I knew this wouldn't end well.

Sony Issues Statement About Spider-Man Blaming Disney For The Breakup

Yesterday news came out that negotiations between Dinsey and Sony had broken down over Spider-Man. Sony who still holds the rights to Marvel's wall-crawler had previously worked a deal with Disney and Marvel that allowed the character to be used in Disney's MCU movies while getting creative help from the them to relaunch their own Spider-Universe after multiple failed attempts of their own.

Everything seemed to be going well as the most recent Spider-Man: Far From Home movie this past weekend became Sony's highest grossing movie of all time, but then the worst seemed to happen. Word came down that Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige would no longer have any involvement in the creative process for future Spider-Man movies from Sony and that Spider-Man would no longer be able to appear in future MCU Disney movies. The initial reports indicated this failure to broker a new deal between the two studios was a result of money. Disney wanted a 50/50 co-financing arrangement between the studios, and there were discussions that this might extend to other films in the Spider-Man universe. Sony said no and walked away.

Of course fans were outraged over this, many blaming Sony since it had been reported they were the ones to walk away from the negotiating table due to Disney's initial offer being unreasonable.

Disney has remained silent on the issues at least in any official capacity but Sony is now firing back issuing statements on Twitter indicating it was actual Disney who is to blame for this and indicating the primary reason is that Feige is simply to busy with all his new responsibilities to work on Spider-Man, a property not directly owned by them.

Presumably these new responsibilities of Feige's Sony is referring to are in regards to Disney's recently acquired Fox properties which include the X-Men and Fantastic Four.

As it stands, things don't look good for Spider-Man returning to the MCU, however all of this as it plays out in the media might simply be negotiating tactics being used by one or both parties to try and put pressure on the other side to settle on a deal that is more favorable. Simply put this looks like a game of chicken going on to see which side is going to blink first. As it looks to me, both parties are being greedy and in the end it will be the fans who suffer.

This pretty much guarantees I'll never watch another Sony movie, or Columbia movie either since they own them too. I'll see every Disney Marvel Studios movie in the theater, buy every DVD and watch every show on Disney +, and hope that Sony's movie studio goes bankrupt so that Spidey and all his related characters can return home where they belong. When Morbius and Venom 2 tank next year, maybe they'll go crying back to Disney. If not, maybe they will when their next Spidey move makes one -third of what this one did at the box office.  !@#$ Sony!  Hopefully they'll eventually be able to settle on something between the 5% and 50%, or Disney will just buy Sony. That would be even better!

If you ask me Sony should just make the ultimate cash grab by selling Spider-Man back to Disney for an insane amount of money and be done with it. Disney would likely bite at any amount no matter how high if it meant getting Spider-Man back in house. As I see it Sony is in the weaker negotiating position and if they try and go on their own they are almost assuredly going to fail. If they continue to work with Disney, Disney is gonna siphon a large chunk of the profits and credit for the success anyway. Sell off high while Spider-Man and Super Hero movies are at a high make lots of money and use it to invest in something new that they can truly call their own.

From this fan's viewpoint it would be kind of a shame.  after losing cap and iron man, the mcu can ill afford to use another one of their most popular characters in Tom Holland's spider-man.   Makes next year's slated films of Black Widow and Eternals seem even more "meh" than they did already, imo.  

That said, i think the next few spidey films could go either way.  Spidey definitely seems like he could handle his own movie at this point without needing an mcu mentor figure around (although losing Happy Hogan would be a shame).  But Sony could easily mess up the formula and ruin everything lol. 

Hopefully they work something out as it seemed like the current arrangement was beneficial for all involved. FWIW i blame Disney for being overly greedy, but hopefully Sony walking away is just posturing.

This is upsetting to say the least, I was really enjoying what was being done with Spider-Man in recent movies. Sounds like there's enough blame to go around and it all boils down to money. I do feel that at this point Sony needs Disney and Marvel Studios more than the other way around. Hopefully they can reach an agreement because I really wanted to see Spidey interact with the F4.

To be honest Disny/Marvel has every right to want 50 % (in fact they deserve more) because the MCU has stirred up this much interest and glamour around Spidey. Do you think Sony could have made a Spider-Man film this successful? I don’t think so. The popularity and fan base of the MCU is what helped it be one of Sony’s top films. 

So so if you ask me, it’s Sony who was being the crappy ones in this deal. Because over at Marvel we have executives, producers, directors, and so on who genuinely care about their characters and want to showcase them to the best of their ability. Do you think Sony cares about Spider-Man and his supporting cast as characters that are cherished by fans? No they see the $$$

59 minutes ago, Falls22 said:

To be honest Disny/Marvel has every right to want 50 % (in fact they deserve more) because the MCU has stirred up this much interest and glamour around Spidey. Do you think Sony could have made a Spider-Man film this successful? I don’t think so. The popularity and fan base of the MCU is what helped it be one of Sony’s top films. 

So so if you ask me, it’s Sony who was being the crappy ones in this deal. Because over at Marvel we have executives, producers, directors, and so on who genuinely care about their characters and want to showcase them to the best of their ability. Do you think Sony cares about Spider-Man and his supporting cast as characters that are cherished by fans? No they see the $$$

Yesterday I would've agreed with you COMPLETELY. Today I have a broader understanding of the original agreement: Disney gets all the money from the merchandise (toys, shirts, towels, sheets, shoes, food) that gets licensed from the movie. That's more than what Sony got from the movie, I can all but guarantee it. Sure, Sony's getting paid without doing any real work... but Disney's being as greedy as the other one, as much as it pains me.

14 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

Yesterday I would've agreed with you COMPLETELY. Today I have a broader understanding of the original agreement: Disney gets all the money from the merchandise (toys, shirts, towels, sheets, shoes, food) that gets licensed from the movie. That's more than what Sony got from the movie, I can all but guarantee it. Sure, Sony's getting paid without doing any real work... but Disney's being as greedy as the other one, as much as it pains me.

Which means Disney is already getting 50% or more of the revenue from these movies. And I can guarantee that Disney, when they said they wanted 50% of the profits and would put up 50% of the financing, they DID NOT offer Sony 50% of the merchandising, otherwise it would have been mentioned in every article.  And honestly, I think if they had, Sony would have said yes.

You know, given the name of the site, I expect an above average level of "fanboy" comments over this subject, but damn we got some doozies here. Ignoring the blatantly obvious lack of knowledge on the subject and inability to do math, the whole "F*** YOU SONY YOU'RE NOT MY FRIEND ANYMORE" attitude is really pathetic. Neither company deserves a pat on the back here, but pretending Disney should be given a pass because you can't bear the thought of Iron Man Jr.  Spider-Man films being made by another company is a clear sign that you need to get a clue and grow up.

4 hours ago, JayC said:

If you ask me Sony should just make the ultimate cash grab by selling Spider-Man back to Disney for an insane amount of money and be done with it. Disney would likely bite at any amount no matter how high if it meant getting Spider-Man back in house. As I see it Sony is in the weaker negotiating position and if they try and go on their own they are almost assuredly going to fail. If they continue to work with Disney, Disney is gonna siphon a large chunk of the profits and credit for the success anyway. Sell off high while Spider-Man and Super Hero movies are at a high make lots of money and use it to invest in something new that they can truly call their own.

Given that Marvel sold the rights because they were desperate, it be interesting to see the roles reversed

4 hours ago, JayC said:

Or they can get the rights back and make more movies which generate-what that phrase? Oh yeah, the real money maker: merchandise sales. "Be done with it." Please.

I would think a guy who runs a bunch of Web Sites revolving around action figures would recognize this but you weren't the sharpest knife in the drawer 10 years ago, I guess things haven't changed.

Just now, cjflan32 said:

Funny thing about that: Sony's not desperate. You MCU fans really need to stop pretending this is some indy company teetering on bankruptcy.

I know Sony is a successful movie company, but it would be interesting to see if they would consider selling the rights back, they already sold the merchandising rights back, which seems a bit strange

20 minutes ago, leokearon said:

I know Sony is a successful movie company, but it would be interesting to see if they would consider selling the rights back, they already sold the merchandising rights back, which seems a bit strange

They were in much worse shape in 2011, when they sold the merchandising rights, than they are now.  This is also a reason that they would not be thinking about selling the rights back to Disney unless things were dire, and things are from from dire right now.  Because Disney owns the merchandising rights, Sony has missed out on billions of dollars in revenue.   Every property they have would have to tank, and the electronics and video game divisions probably would, too, for them to consider selling Spider-Man completely.

On 8/21/2019 at 7:40 AM, Reno said:

This pretty much guarantees I'll never watch another Sony movie, or Columbia movie either since they own them too. I'll see every Disney Marvel Studios movie in the theater, buy every DVD and watch every show on Disney +, and hope that Sony's movie studio goes bankrupt so that Spidey and all his related characters can return home where they belong. When Morbius and Venom 2 tank next year, maybe they'll go crying back to Disney. If not, maybe they will when their next Spidey move makes one -third of what this one did at the box office.  !@#$ Sony!  Hopefully they'll eventually be able to settle on something between the 5% and 50%, or Disney will just buy Sony. That would be even better!

This comment is genuinely sad, and it proves exactly what I'm talking about. Newsflash clown: Sony isn't going bankrupt anytime soon. This is one part of an extremely large company with multiple ventures. You clearly have no idea what's going on and are probably just, pardon the phrase, "butthurt", because Sony told your buddy Disney to go f*** themselves. There's no reason for you to be this ignorant, all the information's out there. You don't even have to take off your Iron Man pajamas to look at it.

Good luck with your boycott. Don't forget to sell your PlayStation 4, along with your copy of the latest Spider-Man game. Also, check your TV and Blu Ray Player, you may be selling those as well. Glad you thought this through.

18 minutes ago, Satam said:

They were in much worse shape in 2011, when they sold the merchandising rights, than they are now.  This is also a reason that they would not be thinking about selling the rights back to Disney unless things were dire, and things are from from dire right now.  Because Disney owns the merchandising rights, Sony has missed out on billions of dollars in revenue.   Every property they have would have to tank, and the electronics and video game divisions probably would, too, for them to consider selling Spider-Man completely.

Yeah, that seems unlikely and it is unlikely that the Spider-man franchise will ever tank so bad that they would sell it. Hopefully they will be able to work something out.

Just now, leokearon said:

Yeah, that seems unlikely and it is unlikely that the Spider-man franchise will ever tank so bad that they would sell it. Hopefully they will be able to work something out.

Who knows?  Something a lot of folks seem to be ignoring is right in the Deadline article but keeps getting left out:  It says that Sony didn't just walk away after Disney said they wanted to share financing and profits instead of extend the existing deal, like Sony had asked for.  Sony made at least one counter-offer, but Disney wouldn't budge.  This notion that Sony wasn't even trying to negotiate is just untrue.