Disney Abandons Spidey Over Disney-Sony Standoff And Takes Feige With Them

JayC

8 hours ago, mako said:

Even if I DIDN'T hate everything with the God-Awful stench of the MCU wafting about it, I'd still have to agree with Sony. Sure, Spidey is Marvel's baby, but he's a baby they were only to quick to sell off in the 90s when they were so desperate to get their movies made they would've signed away their own mothers.

Maybe Disney did the heavy lifting getting the current "Spidey Goes to Genius School" franchise off the ground, but the franchise belongs to Sony. I wouldn't let the Mouse-House bully me over it either.

And lets get real, with Dinks like the Russos and Gunn calling the shots, and coming up with crap like the Big Thorbowski, maybe it IS time Sony started ghosting them.

Yay, an MCU hater! I love them. Get out of here, boy!

2 hours ago, cjflan32 said:

You know, given the name of the site, I expect an above average level of "fanboy" comments over this subject, but damn we got some doozies here. Ignoring the blatantly obvious lack of knowledge on the subject and inability to do math, the whole "F*** YOU SONY YOU'RE NOT MY FRIEND ANYMORE" attitude is really pathetic. Neither company deserves a pat on the back here, but pretending Disney should be given a pass because you can't bear the thought of Iron Man Jr.  Spider-Man films being made by another company is a clear sign that you need to get a clue and grow up.

Get out, boy!

7 hours ago, JayC said:

If you ask me Sony should just make the ultimate cash grab by selling Spider-Man back to Disney for an insane amount of money and be done with it. Disney would likely bite at any amount no matter how high if it meant getting Spider-Man back in house. As I see it Sony is in the weaker negotiating position and if they try and go on their own they are almost assuredly going to fail. If they continue to work with Disney, Disney is gonna siphon a large chunk of the profits and credit for the success anyway. Sell off high while Spider-Man and Super Hero movies are at a high make lots of money and use it to invest in something new that they can truly call their own.

this would seem like the best option for the fans, I hate to see the whole deal get so messy. but businesses are gonna business I guess =/

when the news 1st broke I was placing the blame on sony because of recently I heard the whole   " if this movie doesn't make 1bil sony pulls out" thing ,so I had that on my mind when the news broke.

I expected this all along honestly, its why they never pushed him more than they did to be the new face of the MCU, they also knew it could/would happen ,heres hoping they get it worked out

15 hours ago, JayC said:

If you ask me Sony should just make the ultimate cash grab by selling Spider-Man back to Disney for an insane amount of money and be done with it. Disney would likely bite at any amount no matter how high if it meant getting Spider-Man back in house. As I see it Sony is in the weaker negotiating position and if they try and go on their own they are almost assuredly going to fail. If they continue to work with Disney, Disney is gonna siphon a large chunk of the profits and credit for the success anyway. Sell off high while Spider-Man and Super Hero movies are at a high make lots of money and use it to invest in something new that they can truly call their own.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't know the whole Marvel/Sony arrangement was gonna be a volatile relationship at best from the start and didn't see this coming from a thousand miles away. Truth be told, no matter who doesn't agree with it, Sony's Spider-Man movies aren't $#!+ without the MCU.

I'm no Sony hater. They've done plenty of great movies/music/electronics in the past and still do but Spider-Man has been waning since the 2nd Maguire movie. They just don't have the formula and they don't have the right outlook. Making movies about Spidey's rogues galleries is not the right idea.

I do like the last 2 movies and Tom Holland is the best P.P. ever (IMO), but the real reason these movies did so well is the same reason that preachy snoozfest Captain Marvel did so well. It's tied into a much larger and more exciting universe with so many more opportunities for expansion. Hell, sometimes the post credit scenes where everyone's on the edge of their seats waiting to see "what's next" are better than the damn movies themselves.

Honestly, on the business side I do tend to lean towards Sony's point of view. It's no industry secret that Disney does not play well with others. It's usually their way or no way, and if that 50/50 arrangement was real it's way too steep for the company that paid fair money for the property and in turn helped bail Marvel out of a bind and increased its public image (along with Fox) and profits to make it possible to start Marvel Studios in the first place, especially if Disney owns all the product rights. I can understand where Sony's coming from but at the same time they need to understand the NEED the MCU if they ever expect to do anything nearly as profitable as Far From Home. Buuuuut, how do you make that profit if your giving half to basically a rival studio and getting zero merch profits?

It's lose/lose for Sony either way and though I'd love to just see Disney back the bank truck up to Sony headquarters I think they're are waaay too vain to do it that way. I wouldn't put it past them to try and tank Spidey similar to the way they did with the X-Men, whether it's Marvel's largest franchise or not. They've already shown us they're just that vengeful and petty, and they have a big enough wallet to keep Marvel Comics afloat just to prove their point. To quote Mamma Boucher, "Disney is the Devil", but a Devil that makes damn good Marvel movies.

Ultimately I think the solution will be more of a 30/70 or 20/80 split and both can part ways thinking they've gained some sort of victory in the process. I just think Sony shoulda used a better tactic to get to the bargaining table. Then again, if Disney was as unbudging as rumored, I guess desperate times call for desperate measures. I think an 11th hour deal will get done.

As far as it affects ML, I honestly don't care if I see another Spider-Man movie merchandise (or any MCU movie merchandise) ever again, and I think ML would do no worse without it. Many long standing fans agree with this as well, but I don't speak for EVERYONE by any means, and we all know why Hasbro bid the rights and we know what Disney is expecting of them so it's a necessary evil I've learned to deal with, and even enjoy on occasion. Make 'em good and make 'em often and I'm always buyin'.

This is why we cant have nice things.

It's probably some kind of ploy. they got something planed. maybe Disney has had there fill of the web slinger and think there good with there acquisition of X-men and others. I don't really know how to feel about this. I'm not a huge fan of this version of spidy yet so on one hand I'm like o well and on the other i want to see where they can take him. But i would like to see a spidy movie with Holland that's not focused on the MCU and just focused on spider-man. Guess we will see how it turns out. Only thing to do is wait and cross our fingers that what ever direction it goes it remains a good spider-man movie. Not a big fan of how Sony is handling there movies right now but into the spiderverse was fantastic so maybe a glimmer of hope is amongst the crap.

yeah, at this point i think Disney needs Spidey in the mcu more than Sony needs Disney.   they've done the whole 'spidey learns from mcu mentor' for 2 movies now, time for him to stand on his own or at least rely on mentor-figures within his own supporting cast.  I'm sure Sony figures that between the setup the 2 movies have given mcu Spidey  and their success with both Spiderverse and Venom, they can afford to cut ties with Disney. Disney otoh, having just removed Cap and Iron Man from future stories, can ill afford to lose Spidey, perhaps the most popular headliner left aside from Thor.

From a fan perspective, i hope Sony and Disney work out a deal.  But i can see why Sony would balk at Disney's greedy demands and decide to put an end to their previous relationship.

16 hours ago, bashpics99 said:

yeah, at this point i think Disney needs Spidey in the mcu more than Sony needs Disney.   

This...so much this. Both corporations are acting arrogantly entitled, but from a purely analytical perspective, Sony is dead on to remain recalcitrant. 

When Iron Man snapped his fingers and Cap took his time trip in Endgame, it ushered in an MCU B-Team that desperately needs Spidey, Thor, Doc Strange and the Guardians to keep them relevant to audiences. 

It's ironic that if Disney stays stubborn on this, when they rule almost the rest of the cinematic world (see any recent BO returns analysis in press on that matter), they very likely will capsize the whole of the MCU...and this when they just made a huge Fox deal that can ensure another 12 years of MCU relevance. But Spidey is the keystone in the bridge to that, and Sony knows it.

Disney needs to perform some risk analysis and come to terms.

On the bright side if this really means the end of the partnership then Sony can concentrate on their Spider Verse, maybe a crossover with 30 Seconds to Morbius or Venom, maybe we'll get that Silver Sable movie or the Black Cat movie or a Spider Woman movie or a Miles Morales movie or a Silk movie(fist superhero movie with an Asian female lead does have a nice ring to it)  and then they all get together in a Maximum Carnage crossover. Then without Spider Man projects, Kevin Feige and Disney/Marvel Studios can concentrate on making the X-men and Fantastic Four movies sooner, win win. 

Some of you seem to be forgetting that, in every way that matters, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, etc., were B-list characters until the MCU gave them their household names. Prior to the MCU, Marvel had Spider-Man, and--to a lesser extent--the X-Men. Nothing else came close. They built the MCU on freaks and geeks because they didn't have the rights to their A-list characters, and it worked. Compelling stories and an inter-connected universe showed the mainstream public what comic readers had seen in these characters. And they've done this repeatedly since then. Ten years ago, who would have believed that Black Panther and the Guardians of the Galaxy would be household names? Guardians is pretty much the definition of B- (or even C-) list, yet here we are... Spider-Man is one of the biggest names ever to appear in the MCU, and would have been the holy grail a decade ago, but they just don't need him anymore. The MCU makes its own A-list characters.

4 hours ago, Benn said:

Some of you seem to be forgetting that, in every way that matters, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, etc., were B-list characters until the MCU gave them their household names. Prior to the MCU, Marvel had Spider-Man, and--to a lesser extent--the X-Men. Nothing else came close. They built the MCU on freaks and geeks because they didn't have the rights to their A-list characters, and it worked. Compelling stories and an inter-connected universe showed the mainstream public what comic readers had seen in these characters. And they've done this repeatedly since then. Ten years ago, who would have believed that Black Panther and the Guardians of the Galaxy would be household names? Guardians is pretty much the definition of B- (or even C-) list, yet here we are... Spider-Man is one of the biggest names ever to appear in the MCU, and would have been the holy grail a decade ago, but they just don't need him anymore. The MCU makes its own A-list characters.

agreed

On 8/23/2019 at 7:43 AM, belmont13 said:

On the bright side if this really means the end of the partnership then Sony can concentrate on their Spider Verse, maybe a crossover with 30 Seconds to Morbius or Venom, maybe we'll get that Silver Sable movie or the Black Cat movie or a Spider Woman movie or a Miles Morales movie or a Silk movie(fist superhero movie with an Asian female lead does have a nice ring to it)  and then they all get together in a Maximum Carnage crossover. Then without Spider Man projects, Kevin Feige and Disney/Marvel Studios can concentrate on making the X-men and Fantastic Four movies sooner, win win. 

But what about the Spider-Man Fantastic 4 crossover we could have gotten.

18 minutes ago, komododragin said:

Captain America and Hulk were A-list.

Arguably. While definitely recognizeable, they were far from the stars they are today. I compare these "A" "B" listings not among other Marvel heroes, or among the fandom, but with DC's standings and with pop culture presence. 

11 years ago, the only heroes Marvel had that I'd consider "A-listers" were Spider-Man and the X-Men. Hulk had come from a terribly received movie, and Cap was nowhere to be seen. Most of my non-geek friends even disliked the character because they thought he was dull and boring, because the awesome things that he was doing weren't really mainstream. 

What I mean is, I'd consider someone an A-lister if they were brought up in a conversation about Superman, Batman, or Spider-Man by someone not truly invested in the hobby. 

Today, it's easier to forget Superman than Iron Man.