Hasbro to Remove Plastic From Toy Packaging Starting in 2020

JayC

Hasbro to Phase Out Plastic from New Toy and Game Packaging. While Marvel and Star Wars aren't specifically mentioned in the press release, I have to assume these changes will be implemented for all Hasbro products which of course includes Marvel Legends. See the press release put out by Hasbro yesterday below in regards to this:

Press Release:

Beginning in 2020, Hasbro will begin phasing out plastic from new toy and game packaging across its portfolio of iconic brands like NERF, MY LITTLE PONY, MONOPOLY, MAGIC: THE GATHERING and POWER RANGERS

PAWTUCKET, R.I.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 20, 2019-- Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS) announced today that, beginning in 2020, it plans to begin phasing out plastic from new product packaging, including plastic elements like polybags, elastic bands, shrink wrap, window sheets and blister packs. The company’s ambition is to eliminate virtually all plastic in packaging for new products by the end of 2022.

“Removing plastic from our packaging is the latest advancement in our more than decade-long journey to create a more sustainable future for our business and our world,” said Brian Goldner, Chairman and CEO, Hasbro. “We have an experienced, cross-functional team in place to manage the complexity of this undertaking and will look to actively engage employees, customers, and partners as we continue to innovate and drive progress as a leader in sustainability.”

hasbro-to-remove-plastic-from-toy-packaging-starting-in-2020__scaled_600.jpg

Hasbro has a long-standing commitment to environmental sustainability, from eliminating wire ties in 2010 and adding How2Recycle® labeling in 2016, to the use of plant-based bioPET in 2018, and most recently, launching an industry-leading toy recycling program with TerraCycle®. Hasbro’s Sustainability Center of Excellence is charged with driving the integration of sustainability across the business, including driving sustainable packaging design principles.

“Reimagining and redesigning packaging across our brand portfolio is a complex undertaking, but we believe it’s important and our teams are up for the challenge,” said John Frascotti, President and Chief Operating Officer, Hasbro. “We know consumers share our commitment to protecting the environment, and we want families to feel good knowing that our packaging will be virtually plastic-free, and our products can be easily recycled through our Toy Recycling Program with TerraCycle*.”

Hasbro’s Toy Recycling Program enables consumers to send well-loved Hasbro toys and games to TerraCycle, a global leader in product recycling, who will recycle them into materials to be used in the construction of play spaces, flowerpots, park benches, and other innovative uses. Hasbro recently announced the expansion of the program to France, Germany and Brazil, and plans to expand the program to additional markets with the goal of ensuring all Hasbro toys and games are recyclable in the major markets where it does business.

To learn more about Hasbro's sustainability efforts, visit www.hasbro.com/csr and read our CSR Report, Playing with Purpose.

About Hasbro

Hasbro (NASDAQ: HAS) is a global play and entertainment company committed to Creating the World's Best Play Experiences. From toys and games to television, movies, digital gaming and consumer products, Hasbro offers a variety of ways for audiences to experience its iconic brands, including NERF, MY LITTLE PONY, TRANSFORMERS, PLAY-DOH, MONOPOLY, BABY ALIVE, MAGIC: THE GATHERING and POWER RANGERS, as well as premier partner brands. Through its entertainment labels, Allspark Pictures and Allspark Animation, the Company is building its brands globally through great storytelling and content on all screens. Hasbro is committed to making the world a better place for children and their families through corporate social responsibility and philanthropy. Hasbro ranked No. 13 on the 2019 100 Best Corporate Citizens list by CR Magazine and has been named one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies® by Ethisphere Institute for the past eight years. Learn more at www.hasbro.com, and follow us on Twitter (@Hasbro) and Instagram (@Hasbro).

*In France, Germany, Brazil and the U.S, excluding HI and AK.

Leaving the actual environmental impact discussion aside, I'm very curious as to how that would work, or if it maybe only implemented in child toys like they already do with the basic Marvel and Transformers lines. Although many of those are often missing some pieces or accessories.

It's not that rare, I mean, I believe companies like Mezco have their figures in a closed box. But the negatives are there, we would be unable to see any QC issues, or figures swapped or incomplete. My guess is Hasbro is gonna try to take all this into consideration. We'll have to wait and see.

53 minutes ago, Satam said:

I mean, I buy model kits once in a while, and those usually can't be seen before the box is opened, but that's very different from Marvel action figures or Transformers. 

Yeah, I understand your point. It would probably end up blowing up in brick and mortar retailers' faces. I won't mind TBH, I buy my figures online and open my boxes for display, not a MOC collector. I understand how that would affect someone who buys at retail and displays in boxes.

15 minutes ago, memocromatico said:

Yeah, I understand your point. It would probably end up blowing up in brick and mortar retailers' faces. I won't mind TBH, I buy my figures online and open my boxes for display, not a MOC collector. I understand how that would affect someone who buys at retail and displays in boxes.

I generally don't collect MOC, although there are exceptions, but it's really QC that's the reason I try to avoid buying online when I can.  If Hasbro could guarantee that no Mister Sinister figure would have a laterally bent elbow or have paint rubbed off the diamonds on his chest and head, I would have no problems.

23 minutes ago, mako said:

I just can't wait till someone figures out that 99 % of the plastic in your average ML packaging actually belongs to the figure inside it.

Coming Soon!!! Marvel Legends, the paper doll wave!

By this point in history the human race should be the smartest its ever been, but God help us, every day, in every way, we get just a little stupider.

I'll assume you're being serious.

There are different kinds of plastic. Some can be reused and recycled, like most PET bottles. Sadly, most other packages can't because of the composition of them (they have some numbers "hot stamped", for lack of a better term, to determine which kind they are), I usually identify them as the ridiculously thin but not flexible plastics. Some can be latter repurposed, like I just read Hasbro's doing with old toys, but packages in particular CAN'T. They're just garbage, literally. 

We're gonna keep consuming plastic for as long as we can, if we can extend the life of plastic luxuries and accessories by minimizing the amount of plastic garbage we make... shouldn't we?

3 hours ago, mako said:

I just can't wait till someone figures out that 99 % of the plastic in your average ML packaging actually belongs to the figure inside it.

Coming Soon!!! Marvel Legends, the paper doll wave!

By this point in history the human race should be the smartest its ever been, but God help us, every day, in every way, we get just a little stupider.

You have to realize there's a difference between plastic designed to end up in a landfill and plastic that's designed to be a functional product, right? You're offering an extremely disingenuous argument because you think the downsides here for collector's outweigh the benefits for the environment, and it's okay to be annoyed about the downsides of this sort of change. But we're only a little more than a decade from irreversible environmental catastrophe, and companies taking any steps to abate that should be commended for their efforts, however inconvenient those steps might be for us.

Obviously it would be better for the environment if Hasbro stopped making toys altogether. It would be better if I stopped buying them. Nobody is saying anyone should have to completely change their way of life, and sacrifice everything they love that contributes to carbon emission, but anybody who plans on living on planet Earth in 11 years or so should really start thinking about the small sacrifices they can make. If you're not ready to give up meat, maybe you can stomach biodegradable packaging on your action figures?

6 hours ago, mako said:

Wait, wait. So, to help the environment, Hasbro will no longer be using plastic in the packaging of their PLASTIC toys and games. Gotcha.

Of course this will necessitate a move to more paper, metal, and cardboard products; thus INCREASING the amount of natural resources used. Gotcha.

Increase consumption to help sustain what we already consume.

This is just as disingenuous, and you know it. Switching to biodegradable and/or recyclable packaging inevitably decreases resources used, and can keep anything bound for a landfill from just sitting in a hole for all time. And their press release even explicitly mentioned the program they have for recycling old, unwanted toys. Resting on willful ignorance is a pretty bad look for a guy who's calling people stupid for wanting to do their part.

4 hours ago, hellshock138 said:

To save materials?!? This is the same Hasbro that ships me two complete Legends waves in 12 separate boxes? 

This is a really good point. I wonder if corporate knows what's going on in the shipping department.

1 hour ago, memocromatico said:

I'll assume you're being serious.

There are different kinds of plastic. Some can be reused and recycled, like most PET bottles. Sadly, most other packages can't because of the composition of them (they have some numbers "hot stamped", for lack of a better term, to determine which kind they are), I usually identify them as the ridiculously thin but not flexible plastics. Some can be latter repurposed, like I just read Hasbro's doing with old toys, but packages in particular CAN'T. They're just garbage, literally. 

We're gonna keep consuming plastic for as long as we can, if we can extend the life of plastic luxuries and accessories by minimizing the amount of plastic garbage we make... shouldn't we?

Maybe I read your comment incorrectly, but the plastic in marvel legends packaging is marked with a 1 for PET, just like water bottles.  It's the most frequently and easily recycled plastic in the world. 

I have been reading reactions about this in the Transformers fandom and my thoughts there remain the same here and that's how will the toy be displayed without a window, maybe they'll go with just the box and open display with no windows but then wouldn't that make it easier to steal BAF pieces for example. They also could just go and completely box the figures with just the art and that's it but how will you be able to inspect the paint, molded details, etc. on the figures.

Will be Interesting to see how all this unfolds.