Best Legend This Year (So Far)?

DarthOdette

For a year that started out very slow, it sure kicked it into high gear in August.  Top figure for me is Nightcrawler, Gambit had that spot until I got Kurt in hand.  Can't deny what a killer year it's been for X-Men and Legends in general.  

21 minutes ago, greenlucario said:

For a year that started out very slow, it sure kicked it into high gear in August.  Top figure for me is Nightcrawler, Gambit had that spot until I got Kurt in hand.  Can't deny what a killer year it's been for X-Men and Legends in general.  

Yup the year of X-Men and the year of classic designs 

20 hours ago, DarthOdette said:

To me the big question is: is it better than last year?  Both were incredible, but does ‘18 or ‘19 take the cake?

19 is definitely the winner for me.  I’ve been collecting since the old Toybiz days and I can’t recall a year like this with so many releases that are most haves.  I am not a collector that has to have every figure in a wave, but I have more BAF this year than I have ever had in previous years.  I feel like Hasbro has stepped up their game this year.  

Tough call man! Really tough call! As everyone has pointed out already, the latter half of this year has been a phenom! Thor would be my pick! I've been a Thor fan all my life, and that my wife got the 80th version for me for my birthday recently just made it all the better! 

Had Guardian come with his metallic paint and a better expression, that easily would have been my #1, but alas, I just gotta let that go man, lol. 80th Iron Man and the Hulk are tied for a close second place. 

2 hours ago, CO_Alex said:

19 is definitely the winner for me.  I’ve been collecting since the old Toybiz days and I can’t recall a year like this with so many releases that are most haves.  I am not a collector that has to have every figure in a wave, but I have more BAF this year than I have ever had in previous years.  I feel like Hasbro has stepped up their game this year.  

I totally agree, though I think I actually only have one BAF which is odd with how great the year has been 

1 hour ago, Air-Walker said:

Tough call man! Really tough call! As everyone has pointed out already, the latter half of this year has been a phenom! Thor would be my pick! I've been a Thor fan all my life, and that my wife got the 80th version for me for my birthday recently just made it all the better! 

Had Guardian come with his metallic paint and a better expression, that easily would have been my #1, but alas, I just gotta let that go man, lol. 80th Iron Man and the Hulk are tied for a close second place. 

It’s been a great year.  Though, I still need to get Thor and Hulk still!

9 hours ago, UsurperSmurf said:

Well I haven't got mine yet either my preorder at BBTS till listed for August.

If I could turn into a rage monster I would by now.

BBTS has been having that problem a lot lately.  Either stuff is much later than the competition, or shockingly earlier.  Still my go-to and have been for years 

24 minutes ago, DarthOdette said:

BBTS has been having that problem a lot lately.  Either stuff is much later than the competition, or shockingly earlier.  Still my go-to and have been for years 

It's possible that the "shockingly earlier" explains the "lately later". It's not uncommon for manufacturers to "punish" retailers for breaking street dates. Hasbro can't really punish the Targets and Walmarts of the world, because they rely so heavily on them, but it's not out of the question that BBTS messed up and got cut out of the first run of each wave for a while.

5 minutes ago, Benn said:

It's possible that the "shockingly earlier" explains the "lately later". It's not uncommon for manufacturers to "punish" retailers for breaking street dates. Hasbro can't really punish the Targets and Walmarts of the world, because they rely so heavily on them, but it's not out of the question that BBTS messed up and got cut out of the first run of each wave for a while.

Ah yeah that may just be what happened 

On 8/22/2019 at 1:31 AM, DarthOdette said:

To me the big question is: is it better than last year?  Both were incredible, but does ‘18 or ‘19 take the cake?

It's been an amazing couple of years, for '18: the 10th anniversary stuff was all awesome, the SDCC exclusives really did it for me, the only big disappointment being Rand, and it really increased my MCU collection. This year the focus has been more on the comic figure collectors, and I've still gotten what feels like definitive versions of a lot of the MCU characters... I could sway either way  TBH. If they announced a BroThor in armor, tho... 

I insist, a Tres Amigos vs Angry Grimace w/removable helmet pack would be the way to go.

I just broke my Emma Frost Walgreens' exclusive figure out of the package last night and started posing her around, swapping heads and taking pics for my Instagram account and I must say, she's my favorite figure of the year so far.   I'm sure my bias for the comic book character plays a huge factor in that, but she's a vast improvement in the previous Emma in the white gear/Puck Wave.

On 8/22/2019 at 2:31 AM, DarthOdette said:

2019, by just a bit.  I'd say 2018 had a more even distribution of great figures across almost the whole year's waves, but there's no denying that between the X-Men and the 80th Anniversary Avengers 2019 had more star power going for it.  

For figure of the year, gotta go with  Hulk altho i suppose i could yet change my mind, and its a bit unfair since he is pricier than typical MLs.  However, he's a very tough figure to put down and even when i intend to take pics of other figs, he often smashes his way into the photoshoot somehow.

Last year, Thing was my favorite.

As far as '18 vs '19, very tough call.   Let's break it down:

BAFs:  Winner -  '18.  Sauron, Monster Venom, Apocalypse, Lizard, Sasquatch, even Cull Obsidian all great BAFs. This year's only real standout imo is Kingpin (altho i think Prof Hulk and Wendigo both look good)

X-waves:  Winner -  '19  I think caliban, wendigo and retro wave beat out last year.  Apoc wave was outstanding but just too much Deadpool in the other waves. Although if you are a Deadpool fan you would probably give '18 the edge over '19

Spider-waves: Winner - '18 . The Kingpin wave and Molten Man wave both came across as a bit lackluster and i only ended up grabbing 2 figs from each wave. Not entirely fair since last year had the venom wave, too.

MCU waves: Winner -  '19.  .  I think IW wave 2 beats Endgame wave 2 and BP wave 1 beats FFH wave, but Endgame wave 1 edges out IW wave 1  plus you have BP wave 2 and Endgame wave 3. Close call though.

Walgreen Exclusives:  Winner '18:  Ben, Surfer and Reed top WG's offerings this year.

Vintage:  Winner - '19:   While VW 2 was great, i prefer the packaging for this year's x-wave and the Hulk retro figs puts this year on top.

Anniversary line - '19:  While the 10th anniversary line was amazing, the classic comic figs in the 80th line give it the victory. Both had great mcu figures.

So overall, i would say imo 2019 is the better year altho 2018 was the best year for MLs up to that point.   However, i think people more attached to Spider-man, Deadpool, or the FF could argue that 18 is better than 19.

1 hour ago, memocromatico said:

It's been an amazing couple of years, for '18: the 10th anniversary stuff was all awesome, the SDCC exclusives really did it for me, the only big disappointment being Rand, and it really increased my MCU collection. This year the focus has been more on the comic figure collectors, and I've still gotten what feels like definitive versions of a lot of the MCU characters... I could sway either way  TBH. If they announced a BroThor in armor, tho... 

I insist, a Tres Amigos vs Angry Grimace w/removable helmet pack would be the way to go.

That’d be one hell of a 4 pack 

48 minutes ago, Darth_Primus said:

I just broke my Emma Frost Walgreens' exclusive figure out of the package last night and started posing her around, swapping heads and taking pics for my Instagram account and I must say, she's my favorite figure of the year so far.   I'm sure my bias for the comic book character plays a huge factor in that, but she's a vast improvement in the previous Emma in the white gear/Puck Wave.

I’m glad you like her, I personally would’ve preferred the white queen look so I’m holding out for that 

27 minutes ago, greenlucario said:

2019, by just a bit.  I'd say 2018 had a more even distribution of great figures across almost the whole year's waves, but there's no denying that between the X-Men and the 80th Anniversary Avengers 2019 had more star power going for it.  

I think that’s an accurate assessment.  Last year had a lot of ‘cool’ figures and figures you’d get excited about because you never expected to get them, but this year is like the year of must haves.  Way more figures that are the quintessential versions 

23 minutes ago, bashpics99 said:

For figure of the year, gotta go with  Hulk altho i suppose i could yet change my mind, and its a bit unfair since he is pricier than typical MLs.  However, he's a very tough figure to put down and even when i intend to take pics of other figs, he often smashes his way into the photoshoot somehow.

Last year, Thing was my favorite.

As far as '18 vs '19, very tough call.   Let's break it down:

BAFs:  Winner -  '18.  Sauron, Monster Venom, Apocalypse, Lizard, Sasquatch, even Cull Obsidian all great BAFs. This year's only real standout imo is Kingpin (altho i think Prof Hulk and Wendigo both look good)

X-waves:  Winner -  '19  I think caliban, wendigo and retro wave beat out last year.  Apoc wave was outstanding but just too much Deadpool in the other waves. Although if you are a Deadpool fan you would probably give '18 the edge over '19

Spider-waves: Winner - '18 . The Kingpin wave and Molten Man wave both came across as a bit lackluster and i only ended up grabbing 2 figs from each wave. Not entirely fair since last year had the venom wave, too.

MCU waves: Winner -  '19.  .  I think IW wave 2 beats Endgame wave 2 and BP wave 1 beats FFH wave, but Endgame wave 1 edges out IW wave 1  plus you have BP wave 2 and Endgame wave 3. Close call though.

Walgreen Exclusives:  Winner '18:  Ben, Surfer and Reed top WG's offerings this year.

Vintage:  Winner - '19:   While VW 2 was great, i prefer the packaging for this year's x-wave and the Hulk retro figs puts this year on top.

Anniversary line - '19:  While the 10th anniversary line was amazing, the classic comic figs in the 80th line give it the victory. Both had great mcu figures.

So overall, i would say imo 2019 is the better year altho 2018 was the best year for MLs up to that point.   However, i think people more attached to Spider-man, Deadpool, or the FF could argue that 18 is better than 19.

I think I agree with everything.  MCU is kinda a toss up.  I could go either way.  But I’m more in it for the comics these days