2019 Fan Expo Canada Marvel Panel - Amazon Alpha Flight Boxset Revealed

JayC

As stellar as this set is and I know for most of us any Alpha Flight is good Alpha Flight, but I do feel its my duty, as it is also my custom, to have to throw in a few 'BUT's. I understand this set is mostly based on the old Toybiz 5" line 2 packs (which I happen to still all have MOC), but I think this set has a bit of an identity problem. I gotta wonder exactly what time period they're going for. If they're going for the version where James (Guardian) was in charge then they should have actually included Marina rather than Heather (Vindicator). If it's supposed to be the version where Heather wore the Vindicator suit and was in charge after James died then it shoulda had a white Sasquatch rather than Snowbird and also included Box in the line up. I know there's some overlap of all these characters at various periods of fluctuation of the team and I'm sure someone can dig up a picture of them together in this configuration but if they ever were it was for a very short and insignificant time at best. Little details, I know, and believe me, I'm happy with what we got and I'll be first in line to pre-order, and I also know several people were rooting for a Vindicator and congratulations to those people, but I'm wondering if anyone else is a little confused that Marina didn't make the cut?

Oh Nelvana of the Northern Lights...Goddess of the North, be praised! You have answered the prayers of your Canadian children in the Highest Love!!! 

Wow man, I was thinking that maybe they'd give us Snowbird, or the twins....but the whole remainder of the classic team?? Can't...take....all....this....plastic....joy! So much plastic joy, I can't breathe!! Lol! Already got it ordered on Amazon.ca, but whooo-weee what a price tag! Ah well...it's the team man, the whole classic team! 

I wooould have preferred that they gave us Marina instead of Vindicator, that would have been the more natural choice, but I suppose it was cheaper for them to go this route. Kinda wish that Shaman had a working pouch to put his hand in too, but whatevs. It's the whole darn team, I'm happy.

Just now, monron999 said:

Also, I found something amusing about the price. Has anyone else noticed that at the price of $110.00 they are literally charging the price for five and a half figures?

Actually it less then you would usually pay. It a good price for 5 and a half figures. Usually store mark up the exclusives but amazon is making it lesser then they should.

2 minutes ago, monron999 said:

As stellar as this set is and I know for most of us any Alpha Flight is good Alpha Flight, but I do feel its my duty, as it is also my custom, to have to throw in a few 'BUT's. I understand this set is mostly based on the old Toybiz 5" line 2 packs (which I happen to still all have MOC), but I think this set has a bit of an identity problem. I gotta wonder exactly what time period they're going for. If they're going for the version where James (Guardian) was in charge then they should have actually included Marina rather than Heather (Vindicator). If it's supposed to be the version where Heather wore the Vindicator suit and was in charge after James died then it shoulda had a white Sasquatch rather than Snowbird and also included Box in the line up. I know there's some overlap of all these characters at various periods of fluctuation of the team and I'm sure someone can dig up a picture of them together in this configuration but if they ever were it was for a very short and insignificant time at best. Little details, I know, and believe me, I'm happy with what we got and I'll be first in line to pre-order, and I also know several people were rooting for a Vindicator and congratulations to those people, but I'm wondering if anyone else is a little confused that Marina didn't make the cut?

I was just typing this, but you beat me to it. Marina most certainly should have been in this set over Vindicator. Hands down. My take is that if they were set on offering a 6 figure set, then it was likely cheaper to tool a new head for Vindicator, as opposed to a new head, hands, feet and torso for Marina. Ah well. Hopefully we see her soon!

5 minutes ago, mako said:

Now see this? THIS is the kind of thing I was expecting in an SDCC exclusive.  I think I like this way better. In any case, my pre-order is in. I just wish the Love Triangle set wasn't streeting at EXACTLY the same time. As if December wasn't a heavy enough month under normal circumstances.

I guess it's great that it isn't an SDCC exclusive, reading how many people are already preordering it. 

FINALLY. Just....delighted. Could it be a little better in places? Yes, but it's Alpha Flight. It's the full team (or close enough). Is this the best Marvel Legends box-set since Thunderbolts? Yes. Does this hammer literally everything at SDCC? Yes. 

This has been teased and teased for literally a decade. Probably, you'll remember when the Deadpool/Sasquatch BAF wave was previewed, it was spoken of/rumoured to be 'The Alpha Flight wave'. Then, they showed the Wendigo BAF from the X-Force wave at one of the 'cons, and then that became 'the Alpha Flight wave'. Before this reveal, best you could hope for was maybe the twins in a two-pack or in an X-wave. This though...just beautiful.

McHogan - re who's missing? from the first 12 issues, it's missing just Marina, but from the classic era of Flight (up to issue #50 or so) It's also missing: Box (I) (Roger Bochs, who I would just loved to have seen), Box (II) (Madison Jeffries), Talisman (sad about that, too). Nemesis, Laura Dean, Goblin, Persuasion/Purple Girl, Wild Child, Windshear, Diamond Lil, Sasquatch (II) ('Wanda Langkowski'), 'big' Puck & Windshear. 

1 minute ago, LandoTucker said:

FINALLY. Just....delighted. Could it be a little better in places? Yes, but it's Alpha Flight. It's the full team (or close enough). Is this the best Marvel Legends box-set since Thunderbolts? Yes. Does this hammer literally everything at SDCC? Yes. 

This has been teased and teased for literally a decade. Probably, you'll remember when the Deadpool/Sasquatch BAF wave was previewed, it was spoken of/rumoured to be 'The Alpha Flight wave'. Then, they showed the Wendigo BAF from the X-Force wave at one of the 'cons, and then that became 'the Alpha Flight wave'. Before this reveal, best you could hope for was maybe the twins in a two-pack or in an X-wave. This though...just beautiful.

McHogan - re who's missing? from the first 12 issues, it's missing just Marina, but from the classic era of Flight (up to issue #50 or so) It's also missing: Box (I) (Roger Bochs, who I would just loved to have seen), Box (II) (Madison Jeffries), Talisman (sad about that, too). Nemesis, Laura Dean, Goblin, Persuasion/Purple Girl, Wild Child, Windshear, Diamond Lil, Sasquatch (II) ('Wanda Langkowski'), 'big' Puck & Windshear. 

Just to let you know wanda was just walter gender swapped

Im passing on this set mainly cause I cant afford any teams Im not super intrested in (both space and money wise) But its still a good news cause they arent part of a wave so I wont have to get them to get all the pieces for a BAF and people who do want this team will pretty much be able to get the whole team quite easily, on a brighter note maybe this will mean I will finally sell my Sasquatch BAF ive been trying to sell for the last year.

Pre-ordered IMMEDIATELY. I just hope we eventually get a Box (Madison Jeffries) figure to round out the team. How awesome would this thing be in metallic plastic?

Box-Marvel-Comics-Jeffries-Alpha-Flight.jpg

1 hour ago, tarot said:

Actually it less then you would usually pay. It a good price for 5 and a half figures. Usually store mark up the exclusives but amazon is making it lesser then they should.

to be fair, appears that this set has zero accessories.  maybe there are some yet to be revealed. 

not that there really is much you would ask for , some magic effects for shaman, alternate hands for some of the flying characters maybe. personally alternate heads are my favorite and it would have been cool if they threw in an alternate head sculpt for sasquatch (roaring/enraged)  would be a sweet bonus (or an alternate wendigo head).   iirc the a-force set kinda skimped on the accessories too altho there were a few weapons anyhow.

38 minutes ago, dannygrayce84 said:

I feel like such an idiot selling my Sasquatch last month! The only reason I sold it was I didn't anticipate Hasbro doing Alpha Flight, but thats my Dumbass !!~

Hey, we all mistakes. the good news is (i think) is that at least most of the figs in his wave were dirt cheap for awhile.  I'm guessing his value as a completed BAF is going up now tho

finally got around to watching the stream and noticed a few thing. (called me crazy if you want).

1. when they were asking who was featured on the covers of Marvel Comics #1 could they have been hinting at a Jim Hammond and other golden age heroes?
  2. I noticed they keep showing the Doom and Shehulk together further hinting at my theory of a F4 wave.
  3. they didn't hint at it too much but they did seem to like the idea of Suger Man

3 minutes ago, tarot said:

finally got around to watching the stream and noticed a few thing. (called me crazy if you want).

1. when they were asking who was featured on the covers of Marvel Comics #1 could they have been hinting at a Jim Hammond and other golden age heroes?
  2. I noticed they keep showing the Doom and Shehulk together further hinting at my theory of a F4 wave.
  3. they didn't hint at it too much but they did seem to like the idea of Suger Man

Wouldn't Sugar Man be small? I remember him jumping in someone's boot to escape to the original reality from the AOA.. IS that not accurate? Is he a size shifter?  I'm going to Google him.